[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wqdt/ - Weekend Quest Discussion Thread It's Saturday Somewhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1458592530717.gif (378 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
1458592530717.gif
378 KB, 700x704
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QMs.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. This means avoiding tripfag drama or discussion about subjects such as 'make a board for quests'.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/b5cN2RkK
This link contains numerous writing guides, as well as the addresses of quest related IRC channels.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QMs. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you aren't on the list, post your twitter here and someone will make sure it gets added eventually.

>QM Question
In your opinion what would be the optimal amount of players in your quest?

>Player Question
Has a QM's playerbase every made you drop a quest?
>>
anon pls stop
>>
>>46205839
>Has a QM's playerbase every made you drop a quest?
Not drop, but I have been tempted to skip everything but the updates when reading archives if the userbase got too bad.
>>
Trying to get us banned again uh?
>>
So let's see how this goes
>>
It's not the weekend
>>
File: this-nigga[1].jpg (50 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
this-nigga[1].jpg
50 KB, 500x652
>>46205839
>It's Saturday Somewhere
>>
You know, rather than just bitching about it, you could report the thread.
>>
File: mc_grin.jpg (362 KB, 1835x1573) Image search: [Google]
mc_grin.jpg
362 KB, 1835x1573
>>46203337
Wheeewew, first thread where things got really salty. Guess I'm doing something right
>>
>>46205839
He actually did it, the absolute madman
>>
>>46205839
>In your opinion what would be the optimal amount of players in your quest?
As many as possible.
>>
Wew
>>
>>46205839
>In your opinion what would be the optimal amount of players in your quest?

A quest isn't worth running for less than two dozen players.
>>
Thoughts on a quest about playing a minor demon trying to be promoted to the 8th Deadly sin.

Youd be something silly like profanity and need to work your way up in the demon world, collecting souls until youve earned the recommendation from some of the Sins and earned Satans respect.

It's all just an idea right now and I'm not too sure how I'd go about it, but I thought it could be fun.
>>
>>46205839
>Player
They can become obnoxious enough that I only vote. Chatting with them can be exhausting.
>>
>>46211785
lad
>>
So what was the point of keeping this going if nobody is discussing? Just to see if we could?

If so, that's pretty great.
>>
Call it QTG already. WQDT honestly promotes more concentrated shitposting than QTG and harms QMs with lack of frequency. ALSO STOP PUTTING THE OP SHIT IN PASTEBINS NOBODY OPENS THOSE
>>
>>46217087
>NOBODY OPENS THOSE
Yes. Yes we do.
>>
Anybody remember any decent 40k quests not about Space Marines?
>>
>>46217087
>harms QMs with lack of frequency
If you think these threads do anything good for QMs aside from containing quest-related shitposting in one dedicated place rather than in their own Quest sessions you're crazy.

Let this thread fall off the board and for the love of god don't make another one until the actual goddamn weekend.
>>
>>46217262
No.
>>
>>46217096
There has been one or two on Akun, I think?
>>
>>46217562
None on /tg/? I hate Akun, shet
>>
>>46217627
>None on /tg/?
Not that I can remember, no.
>>
>>46217096
Navigator quest was decent.
>>
>>46205839

Not ReviewAnon, but I was considering writing a review of Joker Quest. FUCK but this is poorly archived. Whole episodes are missing and the pastebin really needs to be a hyperlinked document.

One little touch I like. The PC is NEVER seen repairing anything or fixing anything. In every scene it comes up, he's always breaking something.

Or I'm just reading too much into it.
>>
I have been writing up a machines in space civ

Only issue I'm having is the introduction as to why you have become a colony of sentient machines had a couple ideas like crashed colony ship, we necrons now awakening or even an attacked research facility

Also what is more enjoyable for a early civ killing hordes if weaker enemies or overcoming superior forces?
>>
>>46218482
Being slowly pushed back by hordes of superior forces while rushing to find a way to turn the tides of the war. Obviously.
>>
>>46218565
>this kickstarts the plot of Uber
>>
>>46218565
I was thinking for the enemy hordes a roman style space armada of scaven (space Skaven! More then meets the eye!)

Being the back stabbing and power hungry bastards they are I figured there would be factions the machines could work with ect but it gives a nice hat able race of mooks

Other thing I was thinking of as machines are terrible at magicks what if they where a religious sect fighting for the machine god and their magic required mana harvesters to draw in ambient energy to be infused into units with mana batteries so players can then choose what spells and could they're fly boost their dice roll or refill a bad one by spending additional charges
>>
>>46218604
"And they could spend charges to boost or reroll"
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>46218395

The lost episodes went down with the old archive. The pastebin should have the summary.

>>46218591

Fuck yeah.
>>
Is there an .epub of Joker Quest somewhere? I always wanted to read it and MGNQ, but always was intimidated by the sheer size. Also I am not sure if MGNQ isn't too yuri for my taste. It's really yuri, isn't it?
>>
>>46218671

No epub. But yes, MGNQ is pretty yuri.

JQ has an episode guide with summaries of all episodes on suptg. Check the latest episode for it.
>>
>>46218591
So maybe they where made by a race being wipe out and this was their final trump card

What a shame before dieing their last directive was "kill them all" before turning the machine on
>>
>>46217262
I've found almost all of my inquiries during these threads to be quite useful, but to each their own.

>>46205839
>what would be the optimal amount of players in your quest?
All of them.
>>
>>46218591

New season when
>>
>>46218693

Are there actually any male love interests in MGNQ?
>>
>>46218671
>MGNQ
Don't do it anon, if for whatever reason you want something loosely based on Madoka and filled with yuri go read Golden Empire over on Akun instead, it's actually good.
>>
>>46218671
>Is there an .epub of Joker Quest somewhere?
Someone made an LN-style pdf of the first ~15 threads, I think.
>>
>>46218395
>Or I'm just reading too much into it.
Nope.
>>
Guy who occasionally pops up from time to time. Remembered to finally ask a question. /wstg/ finally got hammered down?
>>
>>46219909

Good, because the QMC is Death, isn't he? I'm up to Chapter 73, and it seems to be that he is a force of destruction. Not necessarily a bad guy, just that his role is to destroy things.

You know, in contrast to the bad guys who constantly build things.
>>
>>46220061

Also, holy fuck the women are psychotic in this story.
>>
WELP
>>
>>46220061
>Not necessarily a bad guy, just that his role is to destroy things.
That's one of the motifs that've been associated with Jokers, yeah.
Red is destruction, White is creation, Black is stasis, was one guess.

Another theory is that, with Daegal as a honorary Joker, they're the four parts of the Alchemical Magnum Opus, with Black being nigredo or reducing everything to one thing, White being albedo or making something out of that one thing, Gold being citrinitas or the awakening, and Red being rubedo, the finished work.

There's other theories, but JQOP's never really confirmed one way or another what he based himself on.
>>
>>46220382

That's the most chuuni thing I've ever heard.

No offense, but the thing that the Quest does well is to communicate this very grim setting without making it embarrassing or childish. But holy fuck, a lot of the write-ins actually make the PC less cool. The fucking kindergarten-level romances are just so hard to read. There are good character moments in it, but a lot of it just gets undermined. Like the Russian thing, which was not remotely funny or impressive.

There are a lot of write-ins that just reek of virginity.
>>
>>46220441
>That's the most chuuni thing I've ever heard.
Eh. It needs to get into the Qabbalah to even compare to Hex levels of chuuni.

>There are a lot of write-ins that just reek of virginity.
True. One of the write-ins is still mocked sometimes, the one with Hecate. I can't quite recall what it was, but someone even did a vocaroo about it, shit was hilarious.
>>
>>46220505
>I can't quite recall what it was
Found it, nevermind.

>"..." Appear to be brooding over her decision not to tell us. Finally, stand up, and take her hand. "Such defiance! As punishment, I demand that you come share some drinks with me at a nice little cafe I know, and to tell me more about yourself. You've set up your mystery too well, I cannot leave without knowing more about you." Chuckle, and lean in, as if to kiss her hand. A few inches away, tilt your head to look at her. "Is that a fair enough punishment?"
>>
>>46220441
>There are a lot of write-ins that just reek of virginity.

SUCH DEFIANCE!
>>
>>46220505
>>46220516
>>46220533
Never forget.
>>
>players are convinced the quest is firmly into X-Com territory now.
>>That X, you know? It's actually Xenoblade

mfw
>>
>>46220441
Stop fucking posting you autist, or get a name.
>>
>>46220613
Which quest?
>>
>>46220666
It's that same anonkun autist spamming Xenoblade on spooky.
>>
>>46220562

Aside from that, the biggest mystery is what Kazuya and Natsumi see in the MC. He is a fucking terrible, awful friend. I laughed when he told Natsumi to her face that he didn't give a shit about her, because the whole scene was actually emotional up to that part then it became a parody of itself.

This is "Huh? I didn't hear you." levels of fuckery.
>>
>>46220679
>Aside from that, the biggest mystery is what Kazuya and Natsumi see in the MC
Did you not read any of the quest, outside of the combat
>>
>>46220679
No one really gives two shits about Natsumi. Except Kazuya, I guess.

Then again, Kaz is meant/seems to be an actual hero compared to the massive fuck-up and pile of neuroses that is Red Joker. Kaz a best.
>>
>>46220699

I did, and they're both genuinely trying to support him even though he's almost entirely self-interested. Natsumi at least has an excuse because she's in love with him, even though he keeps trying to fob her off onto Kazuya instead of actually dealing with it.

Kazuya seems to KNOW that the MC is up to some deep, dark, dire stuff but he's insists on making himself willfully blind to it. After the stuff with Asuna I would have hauled off and decked the MC one, friend or no.

Did the MC drag him out of a burning building or something? Because he acts like he owes the MC, and he owes him bad.
>>
>>46220766
>Did the MC drag him out of a burning building or something? Because he acts like he owes the MC, and he owes him bad.
Do you just not understand how friends work?
>>
>>46220766
>Kazuya seems to KNOW that the MC is up to some deep, dark, dire stuff but he's insists on making himself willfully blind to it.
What? He had no idea until hours ago, in quest.
>Aside from that, the biggest mystery is what Kazuya and Natsumi see in the MC
Are you a human being? They're friends. Who grew up together. So, close friends. Very close.
>>
>>46220516
The worst part is still the reactions by other posters to that. It was all shit like
>fucking aced it bro!
>suave as fuck!
>somebody left their swag on!
>>
>>46220794

What I'm saying is "What does the MC EVER do for the people who are ostensibly his closest friends?"

>>46220798

> What? He had no idea until hours ago, in quest.

So there's some kind of payoff for this?

Normally I wouldn't complain because every anime has a beta best friend who's just there to make the MC look good. But here, Kazuya seems too smart and distinct to be a sidekick. He fights the guy who entire shtick is 'fighting with swords' to a standstill, and he's neither perverted nor incompetent. It's like he's all-round more solid and reliable than the MC, but he can't actually do anything with it.
>>
>>46220855
>What does the MC EVER do for the people who are ostensibly his closest friends
Okay remember when Joker brought Kazuya back from the brink of death
>So there's some kind of payoff for this?

What the fuck?
>>
>>46220883

Wait, when is this? I'm at Episode 85.

Is there a reason why people are so mad over the Kraken fight? It seems obvious that his curbstomping was the reward for bringing everyone along, because he immediately dropped all his big attacks on them.

Wasn't he supposed to be Naoya?
>>
>>46220924
>Wait, when is this? I'm at Episode 85.
That explains why you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
>Is there a reason why people are so mad over the Kraken fight?
Autism.
>Wasn't he supposed to be Naoya?
Close.
>>
>>46220924

Okay, now all the NPCs are invested in this tournament. Give it to me straight, this is going to be most fetishistic arc, isn't it.

This is so clearly mocking otaku and the concept of a 2D waifu it isn't even subtext.
>>
>>46206408
Like fucking Mars?
>>
>>46212352
Sounds fun. Do it you little bitch
>>
>>46221033
>This is so clearly mocking otaku and the concept of a 2D waifu it isn't even subtext.
Please tell me you at least realize that JQOP is weeb as fuck.
>>
>>46221033
>This is so clearly mocking otaku and the concept of a 2D waifu it isn't even subtext.
You do understand that JQOP himself is a weeb, right?

Like you know it's not a criticism, he genuinely enjoyed [C] and Accel World and all the things JQ is based off of, yeah?
>>
>>46212352
>8th Deadly sin
So Melancholia?
>>
>>46205839

Quit making these threads OP. All you're doing is giving the mods ammo to get /wqdt/ banned entirely, but that's your whole game plan isn't it?
>>
>>46221057
>>46221065

It's openly a piss-take on the entire concept. The whole star-maiden thing is like those guys who married the waitress from Love Plus. Down to the way they can't actually fuck them because ROBOT ARMOR had no PENIS.

This can't possibly be coincidence. It's too deliberate.
>>
>>46221093
>It's openly a piss-take on the entire concept.
No, it's not. It's just meant to be a slightly horrifying version of it, given the whole brainwashing thing.
>>
>>46221093
You strike me as the kind of person that liked Madoka because it was a DEEP DARK DECONSTRUCTION.
Right?
>>
>>46221138

No, it's funny because all the other NPCs are taking this so seriously, and the inner narration depicts Cybele as stupid and self-deluded. It's waifu wars made real.
>>
>>46221159
>the inner narration depicts Cybele as stupid and self-deluded
A character you can identify with, then?

And they're taking it seriously because it is serious. It's sincere. It's not a deconstruction.
>>
>>46221185

Okay, I did feel a little bad for Kouichi after he had to give that girl the chop. That was unexpected, because I thought people would die cleaner. I don't get how all of these supposedly powerful Players can allow their 'soulmates' to get away with treating them like shit.

Are the simulations going to be fawning over the MC constantly? Because it's getting old, fast, and they're coming off as really shallow in how they don't care about anyone's lives.
>>
>>46221279
>Are the simulations going to be fawning over the MC constantly? Because it's getting old, fast, and they're coming off as really shallow in how they don't care about anyone's lives.
AND YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND
>>
>>46221279
>Are the simulations going to be fawning over the MC constantly? Because it's getting old, fast, and they're coming off as really shallow in how they don't care about anyone's lives
That's the point.
>>
>>46221312

Ha ha, Utopia means 'Nowhere'. So his real title is 'Ruler of Nothing.'

You wear that top hat, you crazy diamond. You wear it with pride.

Christ, this guy is the Supreme Gentleman, isn't he. Eliot Rogers would be proud.
>>
>>46220505
>Eh. It needs to get into the Qabbalah to even compare to Hex levels of chuuni.
I recall he wrote some powersuits shit that read like michael moore goes mecha and a sol quest about witches. none read too chuuni before I dropped them
>>
>>46221406

Okay, this was a good arc.

Utopia Ruler was entertainingly Grand Wizard-ish. It's like those horrible strawman characters in Beast, except that at least Joker Quest had the sense to point out that they're not FUNNY when they have powers backing them up. Sort of like the difference between /pol/ and the actual Nazis.

Mio continues to try and fuck the PC, and gets hilariously rebuffed every time. The kiss was really quite sweet, but Christ don't overdo it people. Her mother is both obviously evil and obviously mad. Did anybody catch that she is completely responsible for every terrible thing that happened in the Quest?

Also, you didn't stab Iron Ogre or Bishamon? The whole point of the magic dagger was so that the PC could free someone! It's confusing because the QMC has TWO magic daggers now with completely opposite powers.

I personally thought the dagger was a trap.
>>
>>46221941
>Did anybody catch that she is completely responsible for every terrible thing that happened in the Quest?
Not until it was too late.

>I personally thought the dagger was a trap.
Not really. The thing is, JQOP had planned for each girl to be able to give you a really good upgrade. Since we failed to routelock, though, we had to make do with the dagger, and while it hasn't fucked us over yet there's lots of potential for it to do so.
>>
>>46222089

Better not confuse the magic 'kill Joker' dagger with the 'cure person' dagger, then. Why do we even carry it around? It's like Superman carrying kryptonite.
>>
>>46221941
>Did anybody catch that she is completely responsible for every terrible thing that happened in the Quest?
Far from every.
>The whole point of the magic dagger was so that the PC could free someone!
People intended to use it to painlessly cute their connection with Cybele. There was no point in using it on Ogre or Bish, since both of them were genuinely loyal and in love, not just manipulated.
>It's confusing because the QMC has TWO magic daggers now with completely opposite powers.
Hard to mistake them when one is a butterfly knife and the other is a huge white stake.
>>
File: check em 4.jpg (6 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
check em 4.jpg
6 KB, 263x192
>>46222222
nice, nice
>>
>>46221487
>>46220505

Please explain what do you mean by "chuuni" in this context. Because I am failing to follow the discussion.
>>
>>46222324

I am BLACK DARK, HALF-ANGEL, HALF-DEMON. DARKEST OF ALL DARK. Like my SOUL.
>>
>>46222324
You ever have those super try hard Goths at your high school?
>>
>>46222324
Try-hard or pretentious.
>>
>>46222353
Not really. No, I know what chuuni means, but I fail to see how does it relate to quest context. I am sorry if I commit some sort of faux pas here, but isn't all questing ultimately fantasy?

Or you mean, like, the QM actually believes the fantastical elements of the quest are real, or what?

Or do you use "chuuni" as a synonym for "edgy"?
>>
>>46222421
The last one, it's got some other undertones to it though.
>>
>>46222222

Two whole episodes dedicated to a play. Surprisingly it wasn't awful. I'm getting kind of frustrated at how everyone insists on being so obtuse. At least it's not like Captain Earth where you had to learn a whole new vocabulary just to keep up with the fucking transforming robots.

Also, really hammering in that worldview there. Give anyone power and he will stab you in the nadgers with it, because the moral of the story comes across as "You can't trust the fucking untermensch" given that Montage goes full retard shortly after he gets power.

Of course people cheer and clap, but that's some depressing shit. Generally they award points for anything that's pretentious enough. But it's not really a coherent story, it's more about one person being awful to everyone else. Actually, after more than one hundred chapters, the prevailing theme is "People want to be utterly awful to each other, they just need a chance to let it out."

WELP. Mio's going to get expelled now, isn't she?
>>
Is Joker Quest still ongoing? 1d4chan lists it as "In-Progress" but the last thread is in January. If it's ended I will probably give it a shot.
>>
>>46222540

Still ongoing, but it's stuck in what in an extended fight scene with TWELVE FIGHTERS.
>>
>>46222560
Oh, I can feel the quest-master's pain.

By the way, would someone be interested in a game which goes with the "Battle School Shounen" formula? Think Asterisk/Rakudai/Mahoukashit.
>>
>>46222598

What's the gimmick?
>>
>>46222607
Actually, I considered none. I thought about making an underdog/breaking the rules/etc group be the MC's rival group, though.
>>
>>46222489
>WELP. Mio's going to get expelled now, isn't she?
Oh, yeah, for sure, anon.
Nobody tell him.
>>
>>46222489
>But it's not really a coherent story, it's more about one person being awful to everyone else.
You do realize that the play is a mix of the Quest's events and the tale of the first Hyades Champion, right? It's simultaneously a metaphor, flashback and prophecy in one package.
>>
I'm trying to find a way to make lightsaber fights more compelling than just rolling dice, and I think I've finally come up with an idea (influenced by the wrestling quests that've been around recently). The aim is to provide something relatively streamlined, but that provides the option for tactical play and that differentiates between different lightsaber forms.

Basically, the combat revolves around three stats - HP, Defense and Momentum

Defense is a set DC based on the combatants ability and fighting style. If you use a defensive move you get a temporary boost to your defense. When you attack, you roll against the enemies DC with modifiers based on the moves you are both using. I'm thinking this should use D10s.

The Momentum stat will be a gauge from 0 to 100.
At 0-25 momentum your attacks do half damage
At 90-100 momentum you deal double damage
Your special attacks will unlock when you hit a certain number

Most attacks will raise your momentum, and most defensive moves will reduce your opponents.

The lightsaber forms will function as perks that shape a fighting style. Stuff like stronger counters or faster momentum gain.

The idea is to create a different feeling to fights between practitioners of different styles, so an aggressive style vs a defensive style is a tug of war while two aggressive styles are racing for a quick kill and defensive combats are about finding an opening to exploit.

Does this sound too complicated?
>>
>Weekend Quest General
>It's Thursday

JANITOR COME QUICK
>>
>>46222867
Sounds pretty straightforward. You'll need to ease your playerbase into it though.
>>
>>46222730

FUCK.

Okay, so. The story is like this.

A woman has a daughter and dies, becoming a Hyades. This woman is Hellebore, the Chalice Queen. Her daughter is Mio.

The Black Cardinal is a priest who had a daughter. He faith-healed people until his daughter died, and then he became obsessed with bringing her back. He turned his church into a cult, and the Chalice Queen (Hellebore) gave him the black goo that can resurrect the dead. Once he got what he needed, he kicked her to the curb. All of the coffins and technology are his experiments to make his daughter a Player, which he couldn't do.

She contracts with the Red Joker instead, because revenge. The OLD Red Joker keeps her on a tight leash and refuses to let her 'power-up' because he has a god damn conscience. Red Joker and Black Cardinal (Who is the White Joker, confusingly) fight to the death in a five-way battle. Argent, Hellebore and Phantom Edge are involved somehow.

The Red and White Jokers end up in hell. Anon and Naoya each inherit their armor. Anon is just an unlucky sod who fell into the Underworld. Naoya deliberately went there in order to seek out the Black Cardinal/White Joker for himself. Both of them eventually escape and both grow up. Naoya has a head start because the cult sees him as their messiah, and he starts creating as many Players as possible to form an army.

Anon is so traumatized he doesn't do anything for six years.

But Hellebore had a daughter before her physical body (prior to becoming a Hyades) died. This daughter grows up to be Mio. Mio is disliked because she's draining the life and fortune from everyone she meets, but she has a gigantic unkillable monster protecting her in the Red World.

So now everything goes to shit, Naoya duels Anon, and beats seven shades of piss out of him because why the fuck won't he, he had six years to level grind. Also, everyone who showed up for the festival is going to die because the bad guys want to harvest all their souls.

FUCK.
>>
>>46222867
Do we get modifiers for having the high ground?
>>
>>46223014

What? But everytime someone had high ground in Star Wars, he got his ass kicked. Luke v Vader and Maul v Obi-Wan both had the winner on the down low.
>>
>>46223014
I'd assume so, but you'd probably not get that advantage that much unless you had a certain point of view.

>>46223025
Obi-Wan had a certain point of view. Also I'm pretty sure Luke pummeled Vader down from above.
>>
>>46223049

I thought Vader just throws his lightsaber and Luke falls down in Empire.
>>
>>46223060
Ah. I was talking about Return.
>>
>>46222993
>FUCK.
It gets worse.
>>
>>46223014
>>46223049
I want to create a separation between styles and techniques.

Styles modify basic combat. You'll choose one or two of these at the beginning of the quest, then you'll be stuck with them for quite a long time.

Techniques will be a combination of bonuses that activate in certain situations and special moves that you can use whenever you have enough Momentum. You'll keep picking these up as you go along.

Yes, Sokan is available, so if you choose it you'll always be stronger with the high ground
>>
>>46223025
>Luke v Vader
Vader spun. It was a neat trick.
>Maul v Obi-Wan
From a certain point of view, Obi-Wan had the high ground.

You also forgot Obi-Wan v Anakin
>>
>A WQDT made on Thursday isn't getting deleted
Have the dark times come to an end? Shall QTG rise again from the ashes?
>>
>>46223155
I made it on Wednesday actually.
>>
>>46222993

Oh, now Anon stands up and starts fighting back, showing they're actually quite evenly matched. I call bullshit, because this should have been a curbstomp. There is no way the PC should be able to fight off someone who has every conceivable advantage over him.

The QM clearly chickened out here, probably over the Kraken thing. Red Joker should just have been slapped down, because the fight here is ruining my suspension of disbelief. I just don't buy that the PC can take him on when the enemy is fighting on a territory that completely favors him, is specialized to kill Joker and IS WEARING THE CARNIFEX.

This is a bullshit chapter because the fight is clearly rigged. The funny thing is that it's hard not to like Naoya because he's just so committed in his beliefs. Or maybe I just don't like the MC very much after all that waffling back-and-forth.

The bad guy is carrying the super-powerful beam magnum, a sword that is just as good, and a mask that gives him the EXAM System. This should not have been a winnable or even equal fight. The MC should have been beaten until he was stomped into the ground.

Princess Guard gets a lot of shit for the infamous duel, but this is almost as ridiculous.
>>
>>46223177
It was equal? It's been a while, but I read it as Naoya shutting us down completely until we spoilered everything, at which point it just became not a onesided curbstomp.And then we got sucked into Kotone's chapel, in which a lot of depressing shit happens.

Also, the problem with Kraken isn't that he was difficult to beat, it was that he got chumped offscreen. IIRC.
>>
>>46223320

No, this is ridiculous. Kraken made sense, because he spent all his big attacks on the squad leaders that ran away when he was losing. It's not like he didn't run away BEFORE.

Here, Anon suddenly starts fighting equally on Naoya's level, when the other guy is on crack and steroids and is pumped to kill him. The Carnifex alone should be just such a stupidly huge advantage.

In fact, he actually seemed to get weaker when he used the Carnifex. The only thing I can't get the hang of is his power. White Joker seems to be altering his body before each big attack (buffing himself?) but it doesn't last anyway. He doesn't seem to have the 'generate guns' power Joker uses constantly.

In fact, 'generate guns' is the MC's only natural power.
>>
New WrestleQuest is up. >>46223431
>>
>>46223418
>The only thing I can't get the hang of is his power.
We don't know either. IIRC my guess was that he somehow manipulates energy, and that's where the fire and ice shit came from.

Anyway, if Naoya had stomped us like you said, what would you have had happen then?
End the quest for no fault of our own? Would you have saved Joker somehow, even though that'd probably require use of some plot device? Would you have us run away, when in all likelihood that would've gotten us shot down?
>>
>>46223177
>>46223418
JQOP uses his own homebrewed system for the combat. The reason Joker started fighting on a more equal ground was because he brought through Naoya's ability to predict his moves (which originally gave Naoya an enormous initiative boost that the damaged Carnifex couldn't make up for) and because equipping the Carnifex removed all of his defences, making him actually vulnerable to Joker's attacks from that point on.

And though you say "equal", the one on the verge of dying by the end was still Red Joker.
>>
>>46223543
>>46223573

I dunno, but it's kind of like the Kylo Ren fight in Star Wars where he should have murdered both Rey and Finn. I don't know whether I'll call it plot armor, but it's like he suddenly got nerfed.

So it looks like Naoya killed Kraken to deny Joker the XP. It's not even a big reveal, he's just "Yeah, I killed him." This guy is clearly a planner, while Anon just brute-forces his way through things.

Okay, this scene is just insanely mean-spirited for everyone involved. This is a case of kicking someone when they're down. Really, the best thing to do for Mio would be to kill her right there, because she's not loved as a person. She's loved as a bargaining chip, or as a piece of property.

Anon didn't really manipulate her, but letting her get close definitely suited his purposes. Naoya wants Kotone to possess her, but he needs to break her first.

Oh, that MOTHERFUCKER.

Look, is there even any point in saving the world at this juncture? Everyone is more-or-less irredeemably shit and things are fucked beyond repair.

Jesus Christ, just LIE TO HER YOU VIRGINS. JUST SAY THAT HE'S LYING AND FUCK HER LATER. Fucking hell, this is hard to read.

Oh good, now she's going to torture them both forever. No? Just torturing them a bit? In her place I would have ripped them both apart. She must be really completely and utterly broken now. This is the kind of thing that made Carrie White snap and kill the whole town.

Cybele with the save.

FUCK.
>>
>>46223755
>JUST SAY THAT HE'S LYING AND FUCK HER LATER.
I feel as if that wouldn't work out so hot, either.
>>
>>46223887

Who is she more likely to believe? The guy she's in love with, or the guy who's clearly gloating over his suffering AND ADMITS IT?
>>
>>46223908
Knowing Naoya he probably had some kind of proof. If we'd lied then we'd really have been fucked.

Really, the single worst decision in the entire quest bar none was to bang Cybele. It's almost impressive how hard that screwed the pooch.
>>
>muh consequences -fags
The most insufferable part about jokerfags is how hard they wank about their protagonist failing.
>>
>>46223963

So this is what an NTR manga is like from the female perspective. Alura has got all the dead Players up and shambling around, and she starts torturing Joker by ripping out parts of his soul.

She's sort of getting off on it.

She's REALLY getting off on it, complete with Japanese-Ahri-death-voice.

WHAT

Utopia Ruler out of nowhere. Because Joker can only do one thing, and that's fight, he breaks free and starts fighting. This is a pretty anemic battle because all the people here are already dead, so it's not that exciting. It's like a Harrowing from Wraith: The Oblivion except the PC decides to give the finger to roleplaying and just punch everyone.

Called it. Inox Fang is Shizuku. Calcite Arrow is that fucking useless friend of Bardiel who's decided to hitch his wagon to mass-murderers for some reason. He's a complete bitch in the jailhouse sense even when he's in control of the situation.

This isn't a good chapter. The fight is kind of incoherent and meandering because Joker is just sort of thrashing around and breaking things. Some of the dead players are cool, but is there any point to the fight? This feels like it went badly off-script from the moment Utopia showed up.

Joker just fights people for a bit. I get that seeing your friends reanimated as 5NAF animatronics is supposed to be creepy, but the surprise is ruined by how Bardiel has mook clones running around. If Calcite Arrow misses Bardiel so much, can't he just rub his dick on the copies or something?
>>
>>46223755
>I dunno, but it's kind of like the Kylo Ren fight in Star Wars where he should have murdered both Rey and Finn. I don't know whether I'll call it plot armor, but it's like he suddenly got nerfed.
That's just what happens when you use a system to judge combat rather than just pure narrative. It's not the first or last time the dice or mechanics led to strange shit.
>>
So I'm trying to set up a system where players investigate and/or identify things in order to take precise steps to eliminate said thing, and if they do it wrong it could really fuck things up short term; not irreparably but also not free of consequence.

What's the ideal amount of freedom to be given to the players? How many get out of jail free cards should they get?
>>
>>46223755
>but it's like he suddenly got nerfed
Getting shot by a wookie bowcaster while dealing with the emotional turmoil of killing your own dad will do that to you
>>
>>46205839

I asked this on last wqdt, but the question got sidetracked, thought I'd try again.

How exactly would you handle a semi-strategy based dungeon clearer mode in a quest? It's certainly going to bog things down if you try to go blow by blow with an animated statue or something, and I'm leery of making challenges too puzzle based, because if the mob doesn't get it, you can get problems.

On the other hand, it's kind of unsatisfying to go

>Which of these three rooms do you want to try to clear?
>Oh, well in this one, there's a big blob of acidic fumes. Roll to dispel them
>13? That's good enough, you dispel the fumes, but you're still a bit dizzy from the exposure, here's what the room looks like.

Is the idea salvageable? Or is this just something I should scrap? If the former, any ideas on how to make it work?
>>
>>46224139

Joker finally gets a clue and makes for Cybele, who teleports him out. Because fuck you Alura, he blows up Cybele's realm. But Cybele is just a projection, right? The actual girl he's holding is kept on servers in the virtual-cyber-zone thing? So blowing it up might not be the best idea, but this kills Alura's undead army.

Wow. This was a really, really shitty deal for Cybele. Come to think of it, she just got fucked over at every turn and literally fucked over at one point. She was just desperately throwing herself at Joker to please him and while that was pathetic it was also genuinely sad.

There goes the neighborhood.

So the Diadem is the ship, and the Smilers are using it to kill everything that isn't already on fire. Great job Joker, Old Joker would be proud of how thoroughly you screwed the pooch. This has been a complete failure on all sides. Chalice Queen gone, Hyades gone, villains in control of the Diadem, everyone dying in the most awful ways possible.

OH COME ON

You know what, at this point I'm not even surprised. Of course you would tell Cybele you were just using her AFTER fucking her. Sure, why not, it's already a complete shit-show. Never mind that she got a whole eye gouged out rather than sell us out.

Cybele is a lot more likeable in hindsight. All of the ominous things about her are a lot less ominous when it can be seen that she was actually quite benign. It's too bad she didn't get a chance to meet Mio or the other characters, because I notice that the girls don't really meet and chat with each other except that catfight between Mio and Yui.

This was two big emotional moments (torture and Cybele dying) padded with an exceptionally boring fight. The fighting is getting less exciting because there are still chapters left, so I know Joker is going to make it.
>>
>>46224268
So kinda like Supernatural where they have deduce what monster is causing shit and then figure out how to kill it?

>What's the ideal amount of freedom to be given to the players?
Hold their hand a bit. Steer them in the direction of the answers, but don't give it away. If you give full freedom you'll need to be lucky to get the rare player that has enough focus and drive for your quest to do a good investigation.

Most of the time we are kind of lazy.
>>
>>46224363
>Great job Joker, Old Joker would be proud of how thoroughly you screwed the pooch.
Yeah, well, maybe he should've told us what was actually going on if he wanted us to not get fucked over at every turn by the universe conspiring against us.
>>
A new quest about a demigod by a QM known as Bragi: >>46223185
>>
>>46224538
I guess he didn't realize how retarded his successor would be.
>>
>>46224363

Joker starts to seizure out because his Hyades is dead. He takes the Athame he saved for himself (the selfish shit) and stabs himself with it. It doesn't stick the landing, so he has to actually drive it deeper until it hits bone. Mutations, because we FINALLY get access to the black goo that everyone else has been mainlining. They're not actually very impressive, because they are crutches for the old stuff. Amusing to see that Joker now uses the Space Marine version of refilling his HP bar instead of just healing normally.

Another fight, more doom, doom despair. This is like that part in Berserk where everyone gets eaten or raped to death by demons. I'm getting fatigue after reading almost the whole thing in one shot, but really this isn't too compelling because Joker has no objective now. What's he even trying to do, save his own ass? The QM helpfully notes that Joker took Cybele's bracelet, so at least we didn't miss out on any loot.

Oh, Pazuzu has drone soldiers now. Joker doesn't care, he just wipes them out. Really, it's hard to feel threatened by things like Correctors when we just fought the fucking White Joker and an undead army. The only interesting development is that the bad guys can apparently see through the mindless drones, which means that can more efficiently coordinate and wipe out anyone who opposes them. If they were smart they would just send everyone to where Joker is, or they'll bomb it off the map.

Honestly, this is probably why most narratives just have villains be idiots. When the villains are acting smart, it's fucking impossible to do anything. Joker just lost his entire support structure, is badly mutated, and has just had a fucking terrible day on all sides. The only thing they did wrong was leaving him with Alura, who wanted to brainfuck him.

Christ. Kazuya too.

And that one schoolgirl who liked Joker but was too shy to do anything about it, except for that omake where they fuck in the office.

Man.
>>
>SpaceBattles faggots all fangirling out because some cretin in KCQ is pretending to be an admiral while writing hardass posts about how DA ARMY A SHIT
And I thought I'd seen everything...

>"Of course it's real, that post was so naturally authoritative! I'm taking notes right now!"
Niggas, you gay.
>>
>>46224612
His successor was a traumatized twelve-year old, if that. If he didn't realize that leaving that dude without any information about any of the pitfalls surrounding him would end badly the retard is him.
>>
>>46224670
PF played along pretty well.
>>
>>46224680
Maybe the Old Red Joker also had a /tg/ hivemind in his head making terrible decisions. It would explain ALOT.
>>
>>46224690
Of course he did, the second anyone says they're military he shifts into 'notice me senpai' mode.
>>
>>46224662

Okay, this was a good chapter. No, this was a GREAT chapter, which is a good thing after the slog of pure misery that was the past five or so episodes. If this was planned, it was one of the longest, most subtle Chekhov's guns I have seen in a campaign. I think this was the best episode since way back.

It turns out that KAZUYA is the chosen one, not Joker. Anon is just this guy who didn't die and kept going. The golden armor and title of Lord of the Hollow Sun goes to Kazuya, in one of the biggest payoffs of the whole Quest so far. It's worth noting that Kazuya's first words are relief that his buddy is still alive, while Joker didn't even THINK about his best friends once in all the shit that happened.

He seriously tells Anon to go and help other people, because he knows he's going to die. I really don't think the PC would do the same for him.

It turns out that the Smilers, not being retarded, have immediately dispatched a squad to kill Joker. One of them has the inspired idea of using a mutilated girl as a bloodhound to sniff him out. You know, for a setting where everyone is a robot, they really do have a lot of ways to torture people. This would be outright guro if she wasn't a robot, but she's impossibly traumatized anyway.

See, now this is actually an interesting fight. Joker is more powerful than any one of his enemies, but they rope-a-dope him and wear him down so he can't bring his guns to bear. It's this big fight that sprawls all over the room and wrecks the already-wrecked place, and he's getting beat down by the coordinated attacks. His new powers don't seem very useful either, and he's reduced to getting punched across the room then punched back while a sniper takes repeated potshots at him.

THEN DAEGAL SHOWS UP.

PLAYER 2 HAS ENTERED THE GAME

Fuck, this is so satisfying. I can actually believe that they're friends, because they work so well together. Daegal throws down a Shroud Barrier and Joker scope-snipes one of his tormentors.
>>
Apologies for bad english, I am QM

What were you when Saving Anime Quest is run?

>>46224849
>>
>>46224893

Daegal looks absolutely amazing. His whole design is just really cool without being overbearing. He gets into a ruck with the flame-spitter and just starts ducking and weaving like a motherfucker. They gave him all that gear and NO WEAPONS?

Joker throws him a gun and a sword, and Kazuya starts using both of them. Then his power kicks him, and it turns the sword into an Exalted daiklaive and the unimpressive gun into A CANNON THAT SHOOTS GIGANTIC HEAT BEAMS. One shot levels half the stage.

His power is a Midas touch that turns junk into gold. That's right, Daegal's power is literally TO BRING OUT THE BEST IN PEOPLE.

On that note, I call it a night. This chapter had me grinning ear-to-ear, because it was just a break from that unrelenting gloom that was the last few chapters.
>>
File: double impact.jpg (75 KB, 403x599) Image search: [Google]
double impact.jpg
75 KB, 403x599
>>46225028

Artist's rendition of the chapter.
>>
>>46224893
Kaz is the best. Just the best.
He's basically The Hero. The Megaman to our Protoman, the 2.0 to our 0.97, the XP to our ME.
>>
File: double riders.jpg (30 KB, 590x331) Image search: [Google]
double riders.jpg
30 KB, 590x331
>>46225071

Wait, no. More like this. For a Quest that has been all about kicking people when they're down, this was a great change.
>>
>>46225077
Yeah but how does he feel about Tuesday?
>>
>>46205839
>>
God Dungeon Life Quest has gotten pretty fucking unbearable lately. i mean it always was a little too sappy, but "potentially sentient stuffed toy therapy hug running gag" makes me want to blow somebody else's brains out
>>
>>46221487
>michael moore goes mecha
You're saying words but they don't make sense. What does this mean?
>>
>>46224359

No, the idea is trash because you suck. Just drop the whole thing.
>>
>>46205839
It's fucking Thursday/you made this on Wednesday you piece of trash.
>>
>>46227614
You are very perceptive aren't you?
>>
>>46224893
>Reading the shitfest that is Joker Quest
>especially considering the fact the fanbase is some of the most retarded people on /tg/.
>>
File: MKK2.png (767 KB, 1004x684) Image search: [Google]
MKK2.png
767 KB, 1004x684
Mortal Kombat Thief Quest #11 is up! Come and join us.

>>46227832
>>
>>46227873
Such defiance!
>>
>>46227951
i legitimately want to reach through the screen and slap your shit anon.
>>
Quick! Post your favorite quest and QM separately and give reasons as to why you like them the most!
>>
>>46228001
>Chuckle, and lean in, as if to kiss her hand. A few inches away, tilt your head to look at her. "Is that a fair enough punishment?"
>>
>>46228035
Teen Titans Quest

Humble Storyteller.

First quest I ever participated in, and inspired me to try QMing
>>
>>46222867
Sounds like a reasonable way of preventing the players from just choke stabbing the enemy at the beginning of the fight.

Could you not simplify the momentum thing further to combo points?
>>
>>46228035
Zombie&Witch
Papa-N
Because nothing else on this board has been as entertaining.
>>
>>46205839
>Has a QM's playerbase every made you drop a quest?
Drop my participation, when the lulz and memes start gaining traction
>>
Wew
>>
>>46224031
Why DO they make a big deal about the protagonist failing? Is it because its hard in general for QMs to punish PCs?

What QMs tend to be the ones to bring down the hammer the hardest anyway?
>>
>>46227873
They're certainly the most spergy.
>>
>>46230497
>Hard to punish PCs
It's not difficult, but it's kind of a two-pronged thing. For one, a lot of amateur writers have problems actually making bad things happen to their MC, because writing is partly a fantasy escape for them. They don't want to actually have failure show up, because that often detracts from the relaxation aspect, and then to exasperate that, a lot of people just don't feel comfortable with their MC - The one who matters - suffering.

The other side is the players themselves who often have adverse reactions to it. Sometimes its justified, because "how could we have seen that coming?" and sometimes it's not, because they made their own stupid decisions or were straight up too dumb to realize bad things were going to happen. That line is blurry from an author perspective because you never know how attentive your players are AND how much you've actually shown them, compared to how much you yourself know.

Generally speaking, just coasting along with minimal difficulties keeps everyone relatively happy. Token failures here and there that honestly don't mean anything but motivate you to keep going. Generally whenever you hear about any kind of "failure" in a quest, it results in some varying levels of shitstorming.

Because of that, it's rare to find a protagonist who fails in a meaningful way in quests. Since it's so rare for them to even try writing meaningful failure, QMs never get used to HOW to write failure, and they tend to go overboard with it, which results in drastic results for something that could have been handled better.

http://www.authoralden.com/2012/10/ruthless-writing-make-your-characters.html
http://theeditorsblog.net/2014/01/25/dare-to-challenge-your-characters/
etc.

Failure and struggles build character; Literally.

The worth of your goal is the experiences you gained in the journey. This gets lost and forgotten often in pursuit of the fabled "so comfy" and the people who flip out over every upsetting thing.
>>
>>46224359
I think you'd have more luck using traps as supplements to combat.

Adventurers can only carry so much ammo and gear, so you use the environment to do your job whenever you can. You could get better at finding traps, faster at redirecting them, or you just get better at fighting in general.
>>
>>46230913
So, just going off on what I've heard in this thread about Joker Quest, did the player base dare the QM to do something? Was it a "Do it faggot" and then a "I can't believe he did it the absolute madman" thing?

Did the PC die?
>>
>>46222867
I don't think you'll want much more than 1 aggressive, 1 defensive, and 1 special (supermove, puzzle solver, mind powers, etc)

then upgrades to fighting style would change how each move specializes in their job.
>>
>>46230991
I haven't read Joker Quest, so I don't really know. I can't vouch one way or another about whether he handled it well or if his playerbase are just spergs.

Sorry anon, all I could do was answer the question about why failure was neat.
>>
>>46230991
He killed the waifu less than halfway into the quest.
>>
>>46230991
Not really. It's just the players fucked up and then had to live with it. Some other QMs maybe would've tried retcons or softening the blow somehow, but JQOP actually twisted the knife in deeper.
>>
>>46230991
Nah the playerbase is just kind of stupid and the QM punishes them for it. You can't really talk about a part of Joker without it being loosely connected to the players fucking up.
>>
To answer the QM question, my answer is at least ten in a quest. Nice number to ensure semi-constant bumps, and more than I've ever gotten.

Only on third thread, so I can still hope, though.
>>
ReviewAnon when?
>>
>>46231206
Wait, you're on the third thread? I followed your first thread but must have missed the second.
>>
File: SeamashipCheckFAIL.jpg (119 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
SeamashipCheckFAIL.jpg
119 KB, 976x549
>>46231322

Got the third one up know, thread number

>>46230693
>>
>>46231223
Who do you think was doing a play-by-play of Joker Quest? It's clearly his writing style.
>>
>>46230991

No, they didn't. But things just flow sort of naturally. Crusader is an example of bad consequences because the rape comes out of nowhere and there isn't an obvious way to avert it.

As melodramatic as the big meltdown in Joker is, it's a natural consequence of a PC's direct action. It's all his fault, and it's presented in a negative sense because of his lapse.

>>46231223

Not ReviewAnon.
>>
>>46232491
>Clearly
...No?

See: >>46218395
And it didn't even read the same way. They didn't review anything so much as raved excitedly about what they just read.
>>
If I recall correctly ReviewAnon has those quests in its queue:

>1º: Death Among the Stars
>2º: Novice Heretek Quest
>3º: Joker Quest

Does anybody remember any other quest he was supposed to review?
>>
>>46233095
Didn't Novice Heretek end? Is that QM even still around?
>>
>>46233193
As far as I recall it did end yes but the QM asked to be reviewed before that happened so I guess it should still be reviewed? Besides ReviewAnon also wrote about Republic Commando and that Quest is abandoned.
>>
>>46233091

The plot was good, but all the fighting was getting really tedious. It's just not as exciting when you read it in the archive and I'm not a big weapon man. The difference between all the guns is completely lost on me because what the fuck do any of them do?

It's like a fight in an anime. I don't care about the magic works or what they're using, I want to see the drama moments and who wins. The whole point of a fight is how it affects the plot. Without that, who gives a fuck?
>>
>>46227951
>>46228040
God fucking dammit
>>
>>46233945
Context?
>>
>>46234054
Such defiance!
>>
>>46234054
A infamous, very cringeworthy write in attempting to court a girl in Joker Quest.

See
>>46220516
>>
>>46234096
...Did you guys rape someone in Joker Quest?
>>
>>46230991
Who are all these namefag spergs on Joker Quest? Who is this Watashiwa dude? And is he the same dude from RO-World back in 2001?
>>
>>46234150
Nah, just a cringeworthy write-in that a bunch of the dumb players thought was totally suave for some reason, leading to some ultra-cringy dialogue.
>>
>>46227427
Expand?
>>
>>46234365
What thread is it in on sup tg? I want to experience maximum sperging.
>>
>>46234585
take a fucking break vox and stop telling us how miserable you are while drunk.
>>
>>46234829
I don't see what that has to do with "obviously not any more sentient than any other object but treated as so for a joke" stuffed animals
>>
>>46234890
It's completely unrelated but its still just as important to be said.
>>
>>46234829
>>46236029
Joke's on you, I'm miserable sober too.
>>
>reading Switch
Well, at least the scatterbrained MC with a thoroughly inconsistent personality is justified in-setting, because holy shit, the QM barely filtered the readers' choices and suggestions.
>>
>>46205839
New quest from a new QM, featuring Gods and fighting and shit. Please check it out!
>>46236330
>>
Quests
>>
>>46239148
SUPER-HOT-SUPER-HOT

Your a terrible person, I hope your quest mildly works.
>>
>>46233447
>The whole point of a fight is how it affects the plot. Without that, who gives a fuck?
Please kill yourself, you miserable, drooling retard.
>>
>>46234217
>namefag
Watashiwa was the only namefag in the Quest. His thing was that he was the person with the most understanding of the Quest and enough foresight to actually plan for some things, so a lot of people liked him and agreed with his choices. However, the guy was also the worst and most hypocritical waifufag in the Quest, which led to him causing a whole deluge of problems by convincing the more naive players to do stupid shit. He was also the type to write painfully melodramatic write-ins.
>>
>>46239348

When marathoning it, all the various upgrades just blur together. I have a short attention span, so I just sort of speed past the fighting in the archives. It's not a live thread, so I already know how it pans out.
>>
PLANE
>>
SWQ is honestly an improvement on the original Strike Witches.

Which isn't say much, because frankly, they're both terrible, terrible works of fiction.
>>
What are the best and/or worst threads currently going on?

I ask this because I want to construct a best and worst series of straw polls.
>>
>>46239997
>What are the best and/or worst threads currently going on?

Best
>quests I like

Worst
>quests you like
>>
sprw does some good shit over at Akun. Maybe it'll be enough to convince me to start running there. 'Cause I can't do /tg/, I never have straight 6 or 8 hours of uninterrupted free time.
>>
>>46239997
The problem is that quests are supposed to be fun, and fun is subjective. Trying to fit that into an ordinal or even a stratified/tiered framework is a recipe for disaster.

See also;>>46240129
>>
So I think I'm finally going to start a quest this weekend, but first I want to ask how much should a QM have prepared before running a quest?

Are characters and world enough or should I go so far as to having entire branches of choices prepared. At a certain point it seems unnecessary as you can't account for write in commands in your planning.
>>
>>46240712
>So I think I'm finally going to start a quest this weekend, but first I want to ask how much should a QM have prepared before running a quest?
+1 for interest.
I need to step up my game
>>
File: 1420735415257.jpg (210 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1420735415257.jpg
210 KB, 1000x1000
>>46240712
Have a very clear idea prepared of how your first thread begins and the directions it can take as well as where you want it to end. Make sure to end it with a bang so people will be excited for the next thread. Have a vague but adaptable idea of the next few threads, but nothing more than that.

Have a solid OP that catches attention (OP image is most important here) and leaves no doubt as to the intended tone of the quest and what the reader can expect to see more of if they stick with you (this is conveyed through the action in your OP text, NOT with a greentext explaining that you're new and what your inspirations and setting are).

Have an MC with a clear motive and SOME sense of personality so that your players have a basis for how to play the character but still have freedom to fill in the blanks and build on your foundation.

Have PLENTY of time set aside for your first thread. It's so very important to leave a good impression and having to leave half way through the thread, either because you had too little time or overestimated your speed, is NOT the way to keep players.

And most importantly, have fun. Good luck!
>>
>>46240836
This is really helpful, thanks!
>>
Is there anyone interested in a Fire Millennium Quest?

For those who don't know the plot, it's roughly like this: the year is 1999, and roughly 1000 years have passed since the awakening of demons in what is today central Russia.

They have swarmed over Europe taking over large chunks of eastern Europe (albeit having presently lost them to mongols) and now are advancing towards the Holy Roman Empire.
The Middle Ages never finished and technology never progressed because humans were too busy fighting demons.

The Finns are a pagan mercenary force that gets hired by the german nobility to fight the demons back. They are endowed with special short swords called Fireblades that are capable of killing the demons with relative ease.

I think the quest would center on either a finn tribe leader seeking to sell his services to ensure the safety of his tribe or a local german lord trying to fend off the invaders.
>>
>>46241388
My first impression is that it's interesting but I'm wondering what overall game narrative you're going for.
With the tribe leader I can easily see it turning into a mercenary like quest with much of the characterization being with your tribe and those who you sell your services to. With the german lord it gets me thinking castle management, political management, and overseeing troops and lands to defend his parcel of territory, with the characterization on those individuals connected to those things and of course the lords' family and relatives.

So in spite of knowing only what you've said about the setting I'm interested, but I wonder if you've fleshed out the possibilities or are the two you're presenting now going to wind up as character choices in the OP?
Because it sounds like you could go anywhere in this setting and it's solid so long as it's well QM'd.

Also where did the fireblades come from? Who gave them that power? What kind of dolt would doom Europe by giving elemental swords to the Finnish?
>>
>>46241557
I need to read the second book of the saga, then I guess I would make so that the adventure is either focused on assisting the MCs of the book or something more of a flashback.
>Where did the fireblades come from?
Ilmarinen
>Who gave them that power
Ilmarinen
>What kind of dolt would doom Europe?
Ilmarinen.

Also mind you, the Finns are saving Europe, not dooming it. The demons are dooming it.
>>
>>46241608
We have different views on the Finnish, but that's alright.

You have +1 reader for whenever you run.
>>
>>46241633
I didn't come up with the idea, it's the finnboo writer who did.

That said Finns in her setting fuck like dogs and still like ebin memes and suicide, so they're pretty fitting.
>>
>>46241666
>an army of spurdos with burning demon swords
Fug :DDD
>>
>>46241752
the swords burn the demons.

also major spoiler the strongest Finn made a deal with the demons and became the most successful general in the entire demon army. Now he's pounding the germans
>>
>>46240712
I'm not the most experienced QM around, but I noticed a huge shift in my quality of writing once I started preparing properly.

I just don't got the skills to write quality content fast enough to do it live. My quality of writing is debatable anyway

Just don't be afraid of moving the thread outside your prepped material
>>
>>46240712
>>46242507
>Just don't be afraid of moving the thread outside your prepped material
this

and by outside of prep
we mean improvise
and by improvise
i mean look at what players are talking about if they're talking about anything at all
and draw inspiration from it

this however usually works best if your quest has gotten underway and there is good discussion to draw inspiration from
which means it has to be interesting enough to do that already
but if it is and if you can then you're totally set
get on it
>>
>>46243205

This. One of my biggest regrets as a QM was not listening to my players enough.
>>
>>46243566

German Hollow Quest 5 is live
>>
>>46243205
and also feel free to ask your players shit

i'll tell you something is bad if I think it really matters
lots of other people will too
just remember not to compromise the themes that make the quest fun for you and you'll be able to incorporate constructive criticism

and if you cant
you can always try Akun or SB or tgchan if you want fluffier support
just remember to have fun and make the fun that players are there to have
and you'll do great
>>
Which quests have the worst haremshit?
>>
>>46245193
Not sure about currently running quests, but Shadows of Zeon was a strong contender.
>>
>>46245277
>nothingtopuruabout.jpg
>>
>>46245382
Day that I dropped it.

Should of dropped it earlier. I saw the signs, but didn't heed them.
>>
Here we go:

>>46245102
>>
I'm making a setting from my quest. What attributes of a setting are most useful to you players who are also DMs? Recent history? Culture? Locations? Items? NPCs? I'm going to try and touch all of those but I want to prioritize and format in a way convenient for GMs.

How much of the actual quest storyline should I work in?
>>
>>46245410
>Should of
>of
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>46245601
The Outlander Quest
>>
>>46245193
I can't think of any current harem quests actually.
>>
Hello everyone, this evening around 17:00-US-EST I'll be running Chicago 1920 Quest again.

Keep an eye on my twitter at...

https://twitter.com/detective_qm

or

I will link the thread in this thread when I am ready to start.

See you then.
>>
>>46246373

I won't be there but I like what you do, pal.
>>
>>46243205
>i mean look at what players are talking about if they're talking about anything at all
>and draw inspiration from it

What if players aren't talking at all?
>>
File: bah.jpg (144 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
bah.jpg
144 KB, 680x1024
>>46246462

Then it's on you. /tg/ is oversaturated with quests if you ask me. There isn't a large enough audience and we've all gotta compete for what there is and whatever time they have. If you run during the week, you're fighting for every vote in a way weekend QMs will never understand. You've gotta have your own drive, be your own motivation, so you can look at the IP count and go "fuck you plebs".
>>
>>46246462
it depends but I can give some observations

sometimes late into a session players get tired and won't even argue much less discuss things
if a quest is new and there isn't a large amount of conflict between choices or character interactions then there's no great source for gabbing because nothing really interesting has given itself reason to be discussed
it can be a time thing if you're running when a lot of other quests are running and people aren't really prioritizing yours
or your content at the moment isn't overall discussion worthy or largely boring to your playerbase

speaking from experience some players skip threads that have things they don't like that they feel the other players can deal with (upgrade choices, exp spending, buying equipment in town, politics, mostly character poking threads, combat, etc) and for whatever thing that player doesn't like they're not gonna really be there for, or are only there to read and lurk
it happens
they'll be there to watch only for decisions they feel attached to and it's a good idea to pay attention to which kinds of votes get the lurkers out
because it's either a good thing or you've put yourself into danger close

a lull over a thread or two where people seem not to want to talk much at all can even just be regular old story fatigue
especially if the players feel like they know where things are going and things seem predictable
in my opinion it's a QM's job to prevent that from happening

a lot of this stuff only applies to QMing over a long period of time
so if you really want to know
the best way is to ask them
they'll tell you if they care
and you might be very surprised how many really do
>>
>>46246462
>>46246847
and although those are only a few reasons
the solutions usually boil at the same temp

it is a very broad question certainly
so what quest do you run?
>>
>>46245193
Ryukuza
Not strictly harem but that Mortal Kombat quest that's about your self-insert protagonist banging all the girls of the series
>>
File: exterminator quest.jpg (76 KB, 634x631) Image search: [Google]
exterminator quest.jpg
76 KB, 634x631
If you read Exterminator Quest at some point or were intrigued by ReviewAnon's write-up of it, you may be interested to know that I'm making it into a setting that will be released concurrently with the reboot of the Quest in May. I'm holding a twitter poll for what continent/region gets the priority for fleshing out. Russia and Europe are currently tied but I'd appreciate additional voices.

Note: SAN is a broad alliance of South American nations and a few others in the Southern hemisphere who were largely untouched by WW3. There are some small details on each choice in my tweets.

https://twitter.com/QMSimmons/status/713430711311671297
>>
Would /tg/ be interested in a quest, that borrows elements from rpgs like final fantasy? Asking because, I´ve started to work on a rough draft of it.

The players would start as an elderly knight, who has to rescue his kings princess from a kidnapping by an ambitious duke and things get downhill from there.
>>
>>46247235
Reboot? What happened?
>>
>>46247355
>rpgs like final fantasy

The more I think about it, the less it means. Other than that your plot will probably snowball crazily into world-exploding schizophrenia.
>>
File: Larry David.gif (7 MB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
Larry David.gif
7 MB, 500x337
>>46246124
Paladin of Joy
>>
>>46247355
Yes, please god yes.

We have too few good RPG quests and the last big final fantasy related one was some sort of fanfiction shit that I glossed over.

An original rpg world with final fantasy elements? I'll fucking suck your dick man, platonically.
Unless you screw it up then I'll track you down and tape dozens of printer paper scrawled with "Disappointment" to whatever apartment door or car you own.
>>
>>46247388
Well, I am noe kefka... But a end of the world would probably happen later in the quest...
>>
File: guardsman confused.png (129 KB, 874x892) Image search: [Google]
guardsman confused.png
129 KB, 874x892
>>46247355
>like final fantasy

Please define. No Tidus pls
>>
>>46247013
The Mortal Kombat quest would be so much cooler if it tuned down the waifuing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.