[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Competitive D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: DDSH146-St.jpg (76 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
DDSH146-St.jpg
76 KB, 886x886
So back in the 80's there were competitive D&D tournaments

How does /tg/ feel about the mere idea of competing on D&D? Will you like to partake in one?
>>
File: absoultely barbaric.jpg (170 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
absoultely barbaric.jpg
170 KB, 600x709
>>46203527
It sounds completely antithetical to what tabletop games strive to be.

Old-school D&D especially was loose with rules so you had to make stuff up on the fly and it is that improvisation that makes the game fun. Putting it in an organized, competitive setting kills that and makes the competitive aspect impossible because different GMs will have different levels of bullshit and outside the rules wackiness they will allow for. Since what you're referring to was typically just a dungeon delve then MAYBE, but at that point you should just buy a wargame and abandon the whole roleplaying aspect.
>>
I'd dig some kind of convention dungeon crawl where whichever group gets the furthest wins some prize. Maybe something small, like a dice set each and a certificate.

Or maybe players swap in and out. There's a queue of players, once a character dies, you're out, and it's on to the next player.
>>
>>46204226
Get a load of dis guy, who thinks he Knows What's Best better than the guys who wrote Dungeons and Dragons in the first place

Retreat posthaste to thine world of ponies, fair assnon.
>>
>>46203527
>>46204348
>competitive
>the rules aren't clearly defined and non-partial
>the rulings instead are done by a subjective DM
Yeah, nah.
>>
>>46204383
OK then, what about Competitive 4e? The most defined and non-partial ruleset D&D has ever had. Would you play in a competitive dungeon crawl using that?
>>
>>46204226
>>46204383
OD&D was played competitively.

>>46205589
Actually played in such way and I had fun for most of it, but you really need to play with people who have similar expectations and goals for the event.
>>
>>46205682

What kind of goals would you want for the event? Outside of the dungeon crawler what other kinds of scenarios would work for this sort of play, heist play where multiple teams are going off the same object or maybe court-intrigue where different teams are trying to uncover a conspiracy?
>>
File: 1428405393502.jpg (65 KB, 383x397) Image search: [Google]
1428405393502.jpg
65 KB, 383x397
>>46205748
Wait, did they play against each other in the same game? My understanding was that it was different tables competing in parallel universes: Who can get through the dungeon with the most treasure, etc.

I can't imagine trying to run two or three different, highly motivated groups at the same time in the same world, even if there were assistant GMs to handle the groups directly. Co-ordinating the time schedule alone would be a nightmare.
>>
>>46205748
The events I participated in scored story-goals. Each event was one 6-8 hour long game, with some predetermined shit going down near the end (the last hour or so), with the events before it being used as set-up.

For example, one of the events went like:
START:
-characters get cursed! They must find some magical items to combat the curse!
Quests:
-go to location A and find item 1
-Bargain with person B and find item 2
etc.
Finale:
-Defeat the manifestation of the curse that finally catches up to them.

Score was determined by the number of treasure found, by the outcome of the final battle, and "penalties" scored for long rests and revives. There was probably some kind of "RP score" as well.
>>
>>46205589
Shit, that would be tight.

The Dungeon Command games are pretty fun 2-4 player tactical board games, but they always make me wish I was doing the same thing with 4E. Hell, you could probably put real 4E characters/monsters on the boards, sort out some kind of fair turn order, and just play competitive, GM-less 4E.
>>
>>46205868
>>46205901

Oh yeah, now that I think about it the points based system is way easier to manage. Having the teams playing against each other would be the dream though, would need to have some sort of database set up with the NPC's and items available in there and then the assistant DM's would let the other DM's know what was already bought or who is talking to who at the time. That would be a lot of planning but if done well would be an amazing experience.
>>
>>46204303
>I'd dig some kind of convention dungeon crawl where whichever group gets the furthest wins some prize.
That's how it worked, essentially.

>>46204383
I believe that was one of the driving motivations behind AD&D, to solve that problem. Still, I'm fairly sure it happened even before AD&D was a thing.
>>
>>46205589
It was already done a lot, actually. Also see Fourthcore Deathmatch.
>>
>>46206042
>>>46204303
>>I'd dig some kind of convention dungeon crawl where whichever group gets the furthest wins some prize.
>That's how it worked, essentially.

Correction: I think you were usually scored by the amount of loot you brought back. Supposedly a group once won a tournament run of the Tomb of Horrors by removing the adamantium doors (which were only meant as an obstacle) from their hinges and dragging them out of the dungeon.
>>
Be aggressive, B-E aggressive.

Just one girlie at the tourney and it's kill or be killed.
The Dungeon Master is the bastard known as Pliny the Ill.
But I, I could feel it coming through the air that night.
Oh Lord, my sword's out. Jesus, just avert Your eyes.

Took me years to develop these skills.
I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for those hills. Listen up now.

You got me killing, uh.
You got me blind to feelings.
I crush your face, I take your jewels, you have no way of dealing.

"Mirror mirror, uh, up on the wall, uh,
Who's the baddest motherfucker of them all, uh?
Just like Columbus, uh, he get the bloodlust, uh.
Just like Columbus he get murderous on purpose."

You got me hurting, uh.
You got me pulling curtains.
You sucking chili dogs while I go on my crazed berserking.

10s and 20s, what's so funny, fucking 20 10?
Sweet Jesus, please just get me through this. Take me home again.
But I'm all up in the Deathworld, snap.
Rub a bump in the Deathworld, shit.
I'm all heavy with the winnings not to mention all the sinning and I lost it in the Deathworld, crap.

In the Valley of the Shadow a Boo Berry attacked.
He was the hitman of the girlie, who survived to the last.
She was the cutest necromancer that I ever did see.
I almost wished myself to die so she could win the whole thing, but

>>
>>46206019
Sounds like some kind of competitive MUD.
>>
>>46206100
I've heard that story (and how it resulted in a lot of modules saying stuff like, "The doors are enchanted so that they act as if they were adamantium in all respects while seated, but if removed revert to normal stone") but I didn't hear that it took place a competitive game, just a regular games day.
>>
>>46206192
truly a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.