[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Folklore RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Folklore.jpg (154 KB, 252x323) Image search: [Google]
Folklore.jpg
154 KB, 252x323
I pondering the idea of running a game more in the vein and style of folk myth and stories. Small magic, and small stories, Local beings, and tests of wit where 'heroes' are closer to the bottom than the top, and are often not particularly capable.

But then i realized i have no idea what sort of system would even support that type of game, I figure it would be one of the more narrative ones, but i would defiantly still want some actual meat to the game itself, just not necessarily combat

Do you guys have any ideas?
>>
"I'm pondering" dammit i thought i caught all the errors.
>>
I haven't a scoobie about what system you could use, but I would recommend Mushishi as something you should watch to get an idea for the atmosphere and such, even if not the actual stories.
>>
>>46202194
Mushishi, as well as a book on Russian & Eastern European folklore are actually two of the main things that inspired the idea
>>
>>46202248
Well just from the sounds of it, if you nail the atmosphere and such it has real potential for an idea
>>
>>46202049
I'd say either OpenD6 Fantasy or Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e with some changes.
>>
>>46202616
Im not sure how warhammer fantasy would fit at all for that sort of thing? I mean i havent looked at it in years but arent the rules pretty combat centric?
>>
File: 1457807364885.gif (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1457807364885.gif
2 MB, 800x450
>>46202049
Nice stamp.

It's not about mechanics, it's about tone. If you want to put it in the mechanics then you have to write new rules for each myth - it'd be a bunch of minigames instead of one coherent crunch.

Meta mechanics will be your friend as it is much more important that the hero has reached the right state of mind through experience than that the hero has reached the right level of skill through grinding.

Group dynamic will be hard to tackle. Heroes of folklore are rarely parties and trust is usually an issue.

Problem solving approaches could also be tricky. Many challenges such heroes face are arbitrarily constructed and require a solution that only makes sense in that one story, sometimes not even there.

Things to look at: Mouse Guard, FAE, A Dirty World, Blue Rose, A Thousand and One Nights.
>>
>>46202049
There is a game called Faery's Tale. I have never played it, nor read the books, but it might be something to check out.
>>
File: ryuuu.jpg (261 KB, 667x953) Image search: [Google]
ryuuu.jpg
261 KB, 667x953
>>46202194
>>46202248
Try this on for size!
Ryuutama, its like Mushishi/Jinrui the RPG

https://mega.nz/#F!T89QXTBQ!cmh1bj_G3wE1V67YzIt7wA here if you want it
(Too large of a pdf to post)
>>
Bump because not dn40shadowtech
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.