[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game in fantasy setting >story about exploration and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13
File: 1438380508141.jpg (92 KB, 290x385) Image search: [Google]
1438380508141.jpg
92 KB, 290x385
>game in fantasy setting
>story about exploration and adventure
>GM asks us to write down our character's sexuality in the CS
>>
>>46199339
>bait

That said, it's probably so he knows what shape the shapeshifting sirens take when they try to lure your ship onto the rocks.
>>
>>46199359
I do hope so, setting looks interesting but I'm fearing I'll enter someone's magical realm.
>>
>>46199476
I honestly don't understand how you can play in a game and only just realize, halfway into a session, that the GM is going to try and magical realm you all.

Every time a game has ended up like that for me you can tell from the second you speak to the guy that he's going to spring his m-preg fetish on you all in the 2nd session.

Hell, a few times I've even called it from adding the guy on skype.
>>
It's bait, but it's got potential to create reasonable discussion.

I personally think is a good idea, assuming it's a campaign where romance will become relevant. This way the GM knows that the mindreading temptress daemon won't get much luck making a pass at the gay rogue unless she can shapeshift some assets.

It'll also mean that said rogue's player doesn't come across like J K Rowling when he turns down the beautiful princess' hand in marriage cos of aforementioned preference.

But that being said, not much point doing it in a 2e dungeon crawl.
>>
>>46199339
I honestly should have done this as it would have saved me a lot of time when writing up potential love interests.

Incidentally the answers would have been paladinsexual, heterosexual, bisexual/alcoholic, alcoholic, unknown, heterosexual and lesbian.
The last of which we discovered when she left the party with the planned love interest's female best friend instead of him.
>>
>>46199339
at my uni I'm in a shadowrun campaign that began with all of us giving our Names, PGPs (That's proper gender pronouns for you cis shitlords) and sexuality. Then we gave our Names, PGPs and sexuality for our characters.
>>
>>46199503

I've got a story about this kind of thing.

>Mistake 1: wanting to run a game for randos
>Mistake 2: advertising for randos on reddit
>Got two bites for a 4e game set in a high-magic airship-world
>Told them to send me character sheets and add me on Skype
>First character sheet; 16 year old lady Paladin, bodyguard to a princess
>Not enthused at the age or the super duper anime character art
>Second sheet; 13 year old princess, mechanically a Barbarian
>Not sold on the age, start reading background
>It's a loli lesbian princess with a crush on the Bodyguard Paladin
>Go to Skype
>Both profiles are from the Netherlands, one is a 34 year old dude (Paladin) the other is a 36 year old dude (Princess)
>I don't know why I thought I could salvage but I tried
>Tell dude #2 that minimum age is 18 for characters and I'm only comfortable running a game about fighting and death for adult characters
>He tries to argue the point, I set my foot down
>Second draft of character sheets; Barbarian is now 18. Princess is 14. Literally nothing else is unchanged.
>Welp. Time for a new Skype account.

Before I dropped the game, though, I let my curiosity get the better of me and I asked why the one dude was so adamant about playing a child PC (and he WAS adamant, creepily so). All I got was a vague explanation about how he had "never really had a childhood" and playing a kid let him experience that.

Didn't explain why he wanted his kid to have a lesbian crush on his bodyguard. That seemed pretty magical realm to me.
>>
>>46199339
>B-bait-senpai, notice me please!

Truely, you fags are triggered by more shit than Tumblr is.
>>
>>46199339
Put asexual
>>
Here's a story about my first 'proper' TTRPG game.

>In a group with some friends; we're all on good terms and everything.
>Everyone's a newbie except the GM. I've only played a few light-hearted games.
>GM asks us to go all-out on details for our backstory, since he loves to make the campaign and plot personal.
>One player makes his character secretly gay.
>He fell in love with a (male) drow prostitute but they had to separate because stigma.
>We're all pretty liberal so we don't care. Treat it like it's a joke.
>Don't expect it to come up ever.

>Second session.
>Plot is definitely now finding its rails and we're getting the hang of it all.
>Spend some time wandering around a city.
>Suddenly procession appears.
>Aforementioned character sees the presumed nobleperson inside a carriage.
>It's the prostitute.
>He persuades us in-character to go to the palace.
>End up meeting the prince of the nation.
>Turns out the king got assassinated just as we arrived.
>Drow ex-prostitute prince wants us to help solve the mystery.

>Prince gets coronate.
>On coronation day announces that he is marrying the player.
>Many gasps and a few faints.
>The entire party is now split between a mad slice-of-life in the palace, the murder mystery of the assassination, and just wanting to get up and leave before we get killed ourselves.

And that's the story how a gay dragonborn character ended up married to a gay drow king.

We still have no idea what's going on.
>>
>>46199339
I see no issue with that.
>>
>>46201358
Sounds like the GM has no idea what's going on.

Unless he has a big plot point planned to ruin the peacefulness of the new palace life, that's gonna get boring quick.
>>
>>46201437
If it were me I'd have the drow be the murder who is now torn between love and ambition.
>>
>>46201539
This probably, although it seems too late for that.

So far the story doesn't sound terrible, so if the GM is decent then he'll have someone die or be kidnapped pretty soon.
>>
>>46201437
We've had a number of sessions since then (due to poor organisation we've progressed only half way through the planned campaign in about a year). Plot definitely exists, and we get the impression as players that there's a lot of things we're missing whilst exploring/solving puzzles.

Still. We as a party have been kidnapped (twice). I (in-character and out-) have written a long list of every question that needs answering, and it is a long one. We've got some clerics in the state church who secretly serve other gods but aren't malicious about it, a random family of assassins who tried to help us but then fled when we asked them too many questions, an old mage's guild whose inner circle is desperately trying to keep the truth about another antagonist hidden (as if they were blackmailed or afraid)...

We've been kidnapped. I met my brother after four years of being separated. Another character has some sort of manliness feud with another noble and it might turn violent soon. There's a duo of illusionists who are continually popping up and then disappearing. Our only confirmed ally (besides the drow) turned out to be a huge liar, but wants to help us still. The DMPC is having a fall-out with their lover within the party. There's a racist Nazi-esque party rising to purge the country of all non-humans, the leader of which is somehow in with the assassin of the king. I'm now wanted dead or under some form of subjugation by a major organised crime group, which has connections to the mage's guild...

Yeah, a lot's going on. The palace is just our HQ now – free food, clothing, almost unlimited money... We don't leave the city, so it's good.

Plot's definitely there, but we're yet to find out how all these strands weave together.

>>46201539
Unfortunately we've already surmised who the murderer was, but we still are not sure why. Funnily enough, we caught them trying to kill the drow at the time. There's already been three attempts on his life that we've thwarted.
>>
>>46199691
I didn't think Yuropoors were allowed to possess dice. Can't you throw them at people?
>>
>>46201836
Fuzzy dice, mang.
>>
>>46202341
Euros game in taxis?
>>
>>46199339
>story about exploration and adventure
>GM asks us to write down our character's sexuality in the CS

Maybe it was always about sexuality and you didn't hear it the first time.
>>
>>46200076
>Put asexual
He's found the one winning move!
>>
>>46199339
Yeah? And?
What's the actual issue here?
>>
File: bowie.gif (1 MB, 257x200) Image search: [Google]
bowie.gif
1 MB, 257x200
>game based on fantasy literature based on fairytales based on medieval legend based on even more ancient myths and stories that are universally known and accessible
>players obsessed over freshness, uniqueness, originality and subverting "cliché"
>>
File: Bowie power.gif (992 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Bowie power.gif
992 KB, 500x350
>>46202579
I feel you man. Sure, every setting needs to have it's own unique details and every character needs to have their own quirks, otherwise it all gets boring, but come on. There's a reason the generic stuff is generic.
>>
>>46202579
I mean, people eventually get bored of the same stuff and once you start seeing too many patterns, it can drag you out of the world and its characters pretty quickly.

Familiarity is great for getting you into a world/character/situation, but just going through the motions isn't enough to keep many people there. Best compromise I can come up with is a "novelty" not through conceptual changes, but by being executed really well. Kinda like some voice actors could read you the telephone book but you're still hooked because of how well they do it or because their voice is just pleasant to listen to.
Tho imo that's much more difficult to pull off than the alternative of conceptual novelty - even if there's nothing new under the sun, mixing and matching with a clear goal in mind can carry clichés a long way from overt familiarity.
>>
>>46200060
It is only natural when tumblr itself is one of the triggers.
>>
>>46199899
>Mistake 0: ever being on reddit
>>
>>46202834
>The orcs in my setting are living mineral deposits that worship sentient space dust! In their riverbed cities they communicate with intricate bubble formations and study telekinesis!
>>
>>46199529
>J K Rowling
What's the story here?
>>
>>46199339
Romances are often parts of adventures.

Would you rather the GM accidentally include gay romances for your character when they're straight (or the other way around)?
>>
>>46199608
>paladinsexual
Grossly incandescent
>>
>>46203015
She'll change a character for the sake of getting good publicity.

Hermione's black, Dumbledore's gay, Lavender Brown keeps switching nationalities and races, etc.
>>
>>46202990
Now see, if you're going to be mundane like that, you've got to give 'em a hook, something to make 'em a bit different.
>>
>>46201836
They can have dice you bigot. They just need to fill out several forms and file for custody first.
>>
>>46203041
>Hermione's black

That's a hell of a reach, anon. A theater company cast a black Hermione and Jo's response was, "That's neat." She didn't literally rewrite canon.
>>
>>46203063
She also never put that Dumbledore's black onto the page. Ergo, none of what I said is ACTUALLY true, but she'll happily roll over and let people change her work.
>>
>>46203063
IIRC her response was more along the lines of "well, I never said she was white, only that she had brown eyes and curly brown hair, so I guess that's technically a valid interpretation".
>>
>>46203041
When was Hermione black?
>>
>>46203080
>put that Dumbledore's black
Dumbledore's gay, my mistake.

>>46203083
She also straight up did say that she was white, though, plus every cover art depicts her as such.
>>
>>46203080

Her target audience is under 20. Flexible canon makes it more approachable for children. It's only stunted autistic manbabies that feel that entirely unimportant changes and interpretations are literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>46203154
I never said it made her worse than Hitler. At worst it just makes her a hack. Which she's already proven herself to be multiple times over.

Plus, somebody asked, I answered.
>>
>>46203063
No her response was "Well I never described Hermione as white ;) "

Then queue a bunch of people posting pages of the book that describe Hermione as being white and pale as fuck.
>>
>>46201781
>we still are not sure why
>we caught them trying to kill the drow
>three attempts on his life

You have been fucking rused by that drow Anon.
>>
>>46203205
Im having difficulty finding anything where she was described as white, or something that would imply she is white, do you know any sources for that?
>>
File: pratchett-1.jpg (2 MB, 2353x4097) Image search: [Google]
pratchett-1.jpg
2 MB, 2353x4097
>>46203096
Never assume cover art is canon.

After all, the artist of the early Discworld novels got horribly confused over an insulting description and turned one character into a horrifying mutant.
>>
>Hermione isn't white
She's English for fucks sake.
>>
>>46203349
Also, Harry Dresden doesn't wear a hat.
>>
>>46203376

Hate to tell you, brother, but half of London is some shade of brown or black. England's all mud races. You have to go to some other part of the UK to find white people.
>>
>>46203405
He doesn't have long hair, either.
>>
>>46203425
He's also not a wizard.
>>
>>46203028
I'm having Dragon's Dogma PTSD flashbacks.

>>46199503
I'm sort of guilty of this, actually. I come off pretty normal, and run a fairly normal campaign, and then some magical realm-y shit hits. I almost always shy away from explicit in favor of implicit, but there was that one time with the background of /d/icks...
>>
>>46203436
He's also not Harry Dresden.
>>
>>46203454
But does he wear a mouse?
>>
>>46203041
>>46203080 >>46203096
>The books never said Dumbledore was gay

No, the books just said
>Dumbledore met the dark wizard Grindelwald in his youth
>Soon after this, Dumbledore began acting wildly out of character, talking like a dark wizard himself and bringing up Grindelwald's ideas constantly
>When Grindelwald actually tried to take over Britain, they had a falling-out and Dumbledore was the one to bring him to justice.

The way it was described, it was pretty clearly a romance gone wrong
>>
>>46203348
Not that anon, but in one scene where she was afraid, it described "her white face" peeking out from behind a tree. I only know this because the passage got spammed on /tg/ every day a few months ago because virginal neckbears really, really needed to get a life.
>>
File: Git_fucked.png (19 KB, 707x591) Image search: [Google]
Git_fucked.png
19 KB, 707x591
>>46203420
Hello my name is The Office for National Statistics and I'd like you to get bent.
>>
>>46203759
>England and Wales is the same as "the city of London"
>>
>>46203722
If she was afraid it is conceivable that meant she had gone pale, something that can happen to black people. Without being able to see the exact words used though is hard to tell
>>
>>46203759
>counting Wales as England

I was exaggerating greatly for comedic effect. That's just offensive.
>>
>>46203775
>>46203815
Fine have the lot but your still wrong, shock fucking horror, stop the presses the beating heat of a former industrial global empire picked up quite a lot on darkies, who could have foreseen this? Yet the whites remain afloat at almost 60%.
>>
>>46203963
>less than 60%
Yeesh, that is horrifying.
>>
>>46203963
Seriously, informally saying "half of London" is pretty valid when you're talking about 40+ percent.

Holy shit, dem demographics.
>>
File: 1430111539846.jpg (83 KB, 960x938) Image search: [Google]
1430111539846.jpg
83 KB, 960x938
Just write "normal".
>>
>>46203531
>italian cover
Ti capisco.
>>
File: KORINCI_HP.jpg (128 KB, 633x511) Image search: [Google]
KORINCI_HP.jpg
128 KB, 633x511
>>46203531
Anon, please.
>>
>>46203963
Why is it just London?
>>
>>46205248
>beating heat of a former industrial global empire
>>
>>46205282
I hope you mean 'heart', but in either case that's not really what I'm asking.

Why make a beeline towards the capital and not any other area?

I'm from Toronto, I don't understand how immigration psychology actually works because we're too busy grabbing ever demographic we can, save the japanese and the scots.
>>
>>46205319
Because England is in effect two countries. England and the cancerous tumour that is the city state of London, which like a modern day Moloch, draws in souls to be burned up and devoured.
>>
>>46205348
>>46205319
A slight exaggeration but London does love to draw ever more into it's whirling cogs, more people live there than in the entirety of Scotland.
>>
My PCs are straight but are mostly married to adventure, the plot, or both. I only have them bite the romance hooks if it's funny or blatantly presented to me. Usually if your DM is trying to ship your character with someone that someone is bringing plot with them. Maybe he wants to know so when his plot important NPC shows up you'll be sure to bite the hook, because if you're gay there's a good chance you will only be enticed by a husbando or something.
>>
>>46203963
59.8% is really not that far off from "Half".
>>
>>46199529
Your post suggests being a queer is okay and should be condoned.
You disgust me, how much more deranged can one get?
>>
Just write "normal"

and post results if this isn't bait
>>
>>46206180
You could be on 4chan, to start.
>>
File: replying to bait.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
replying to bait.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
>>46199339
>it's bait
>replyies anyway

Never change /tg/
>>
>>46202974
Have an upboat, friendo!
>>
File: 1431227602694.png (194 KB, 663x537) Image search: [Google]
1431227602694.png
194 KB, 663x537
Here is what I don't get; why did the DM insist on knowing your character's sexuality right off the bat? Isn't that something he should discover in the campaign? Sexuality isn't something most people wear on their sleeve.

Personally, I'm thinking his wanting to know your sexuality has less to do with tumblr-shit and more with him wanting to know just what kind of custom love interest he needs to design for your guy/girl, since there's nothing more awkward than making a qt girl only to discover the man she's interested in only takes dick.
>>
>>46210321
Then he should just have the girl put on that gender flipping belt so that she can give him the D.
>>
>>46203449
>I come off pretty normal, and run a fairly normal campaign, and then some magical realm-y shit hits

Just... don't do it. Is it really that hard not to? Are you really that much of a tragic case that it just has to happen? Come on lad. Step up.
>>
>>46210321
>wanting to know just what kind of custom love interest he needs to design for your guy/girl
What if we don't WANT our characters to get love interests, though?
>>
>>46210321
>why did the DM insist on knowing your character's sexuality right off the bat? Isn't that something he should discover in the campaign?
the DM is literally the omniscient third person, why the fuck should he discover anything in the campaign when the player may very well have the knowledge in mind prior to the campaign starting

desu i feel like i assign like half my characters as gay, gives me a reason that they're always on the road meeting strange people in risky situations instead of retiring at home with their kids
>>
>>46210321
>Sexuality isn't something most people wear on their sleeve.
You haven't been around too many gays I take it.
>>
>>46203041
Dumbledore was gay as fuck. He was obsessed with Grindelwald. I'm gay and I know exactly the kind of shit that weird little wizard boy was talking about. He was talking about wanting some magical dick.
>>
>>46211261
Hets talk about their stupid het shit far more than even the fairiest of faglords.
>>
>>46211264
>>46203606
Sorry, but that can also be interpreted as, well, as it was stated in the books. Grindelwald was the closest thing to an intellectual peer that Dumblerdore ever knew, and he didn't want to lose that friendship regardless of what strange ideas Grindelwald started to profess.

You can go ahead and read as much homosexuality into it as you like, but the Death of the Author leaves Dumbledore as largely asexual at best.

Also, do you really want to try and push forward the narrative that the worst mistake the best wizard ever made was thinking he was gay and allowing that to cloud his judgement? Sounds like the last thing people like you would want to try and parade around.
>>
>>46211383
>Also, do you really want to try and push forward the narrative that the worst mistake the best wizard ever made was thinking he was gay and allowing that to cloud his judgement? Sounds like the last thing people like you would want to try and parade around.
What.

So if Grindelwald was a woman then Dumbledore's biggest mistake would be thinking he was straight?
>>
>>46211678
No, his mistake would be thinking he fell in love with that girl.

Also, please, let's drop the false equivalences. If you really want to use those kind of fallacies, march over to /pol/.
>>
>>46211383
Showing that homosexual attraction can lead to doing stupid, dangerous, in-hindsight awful things is just acknowledging that gay love is very much like straight love.
>>
>>46211717
Except that straight love between two men rarely ends up making someone so blind.

You're trying to pass on a false equivalency by comparing heterosexual romance with gay whatever, instead of comparing gay whatever to heterosexual friendship.
You might be a faggot, but that's no reason to continue to be a dumb faggot.
>>
>>46211264
When I read the book I found Dumbledore's history with Grindelwald confusing. Then Rowling said "Dumbledore was gay, and Grindelwald took advantage of his infatuation" and it all made sense.

"I never said Hermione wasn't black" is just dumb though.
>>
>>46211824
What was confusing about it?
Dumbledore was basically left at home without any friends, and he finally met a guy who was as smart as he was. They became fast friends, and reinforced each others sense of superiority over everyone else.

There really is no need for the "gay angle" for it to make sense, unless you're trying to say that two men can't be close friends without one of them being gay.
>>
>>46211980
Dumbledore is a really compassionate guy who talks a lot about how foolish it is to underestimate the power of love.

It didn't make sense to me that a guy like that could forget his ability to love... until it turned out that love was his motivation in the first place. That is, Dumbledore's experience with Grindelwald taught him the power of love in an extremely painful way, and was responsible for turning him into the person he is.
>>
>>46212173
> didn't make sense to me that a guy like that could forget his ability to love

When did he forget his ability to love? Also, what does love have to do with homosexuality? Guy could have loved Grindelwald in the regular fashion, rather than the mentally diseased fashion.
>>
>>46212252
What are you even trying to argue?

He became obsessed with something to the point where he flipped his entire personality, lost sight of all his goals, and got his friends and families killed. OF COURSE he was mentally ill.
>>
>>46212396
He's saying homosexuality is a mental illness.
>>
>>46212445
Yeah, but why is he trying to argue "He was mentally ill in a sane way, not a mentally ill way"?
>>
>>46212396
>He became obsessed with something to the point where he flipped his entire personality, lost sight of all his goal

No, he was rational throughout the entire process, and while he thought it would be best if wizards would rule, he wasn't following along with Grin's more totalitarian ideas. In fact, that's what they debated about to the point where they started fighting and set his sister's wildsurge magic off.

His sister died by accident, and he was still in the age where he was deciding about what his goals were.

Also, it says right in the book that he waited so long to finally confront Grin because he was terrified that Grin would tell him that it was Dumbledore that accidentally killed his sister.

He was hardly insane, just arrogant and foolish.
>>
>>46203963
>but your still wrong
I'd pick on you for that but you're probably a Londoner with English as a second language.
>>
>>46199529
Admit it, though, it would be funny as hell. She doesn't realize he's gay and she throws the charms and he's like "yes, that's lovely, but could we move along? My boyfriend's waiting back in town" and she's just speechless.
>>
File: nat 1 seduce2.jpg (311 KB, 1113x1600) Image search: [Google]
nat 1 seduce2.jpg
311 KB, 1113x1600
>>46213944
relevant
>>
>>46203425
Well TECHNICALLY, there are times in the series where he DOES have long hair. Not many, but a few. Like, one.
>>
>>46199339
Eh, it's good to know information about your character that might not be useful to the game. Shows you're thinking of them as a person and not a statblock.

Specifically requiring sexuality is odd, but asking questions like "do you know your character's sexual orientation?" is fine.
>>
>>46199339
I played AD&D for years and never once had sexual shit, rape, sjw, or any other of these bizarre situations I always read about on here. If you are encountering this shit in games, you need to evaluate yourself and your friends.
>>
>>46199691
That's just typical fare for any meeting of more than two trans people though.
>>
>>46214066
Same here. For the most part, it seems like just a few creeps who feel the need to pretend they're not a tiny minority, so they obsess and spam about dumb things. 4chan is kind of the butthole of the internet, so even the better boards like /tg/ still wind up with a thick layer of sludge on the bottom.
>>
>>46199899
It's always the fucking Netherlands for some reason...

Except, I ran into actual lesbians, and it was just as off-putting.
>>
>>46205248
The UK is basically "London and surrounding environs".

Everything revolves around it, to the dismay of everyone else in the country.
>>
File: skepticalpokemon.jpg (25 KB, 369x406) Image search: [Google]
skepticalpokemon.jpg
25 KB, 369x406
>>46211797
>straight love between two men
>straight
>two men
>love
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.