[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What visual cues make a lich look clearly like a lich? There
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 700x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 700x499
What visual cues make a lich look clearly like a lich? There are lots of zombie, skeletons and undead out there. Is undead wizard really all you can do?

I am designing a character and while I want him to clearly be a lich, I can't have him look like a traditional wizard.
>>
>>46199311
A floating skeleton.
Made of skeletons.
In a skeleton-like armor over a robe.
Armor is too made of skeletons.
The pattern on the robe is skeletons.
With a large staff
Made of skeletons melted together.
>>
Give him some dignity.
Not just through clothing, but through his posture, standing straight, jaw not dislocated, no limping.
His bones are in top condition, sparkly white.
His wardrobe either what is left of his favorite dress from when he was alive (now old and raggedy but you can tell that it used to be high-class material) or have him wear clean and expensive stuff.
>>
Glowing eyes, ornate robes and long ass monologue.
>>
>>46199311
Bling him out. Every tooth is a gold tooth, every major bone has a precious gem set into it. Have him walk around "naked" to flaunt his wealth.
>>
>>46199351
>Kill and rez the worlds greatest gold smith
>Have him dip your bones into gold and give them an ornate design.
>Encrust with gems.

Cash money bling bling.
>>
>>46199374
No no no. That's what he has done to his wife. He does the same but also wears a voluminous robe.
>>
>>46199311
Lich means different things in different settings. Some settings it honestly is just boss-class generic undead, but obviously that's not what you're going for. Other settings a lich maintains its mind, which allows you to do a villainous introduction which clearly marks that guy as the big bad (bonus points if it is in rhyme). Have him introduce himself, mock the players, throw in a little reference to his immortality, so on.

If you're really nuts you might even have him SPEAK IN ALL CAPS.
>>
>>46199351
>Give him some dignity.
This is a good advice.

>>46199374
>>46199383
>NAH JUST BLING HIM OUT ROFLMAO YOLO
Plz go.
>>
File: nito.jpg (177 KB, 800x1500) Image search: [Google]
nito.jpg
177 KB, 800x1500
>>46199337
Gravelord plz.
>>
>>46199311
Visually?
So, a lich is somebody who has intentionally made themselves undead so they can stick around forever.
To cue into this, they'd still be dressed like they did in life, and the chances are their clothes would be perfectly clean and well preserved.
For their actual body, try to get across the feeling that they've been preserved. No bits missing, peeling skin or anything. Just have the dead flesh be dry and desicated. You almost want the lich to look closest to a mummy, but without bandages.
>>
>>46199410
>Be eternal lich with army of skeletons and a self ressurecting body
>Not gilding yourself.

You go. It's a clear identifier of free time and wealth. If your Lich isn't a wizard he's best suited to be a ruler and he should show it.
>>
File: image.jpg (662 KB, 750x1001) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
662 KB, 750x1001
Pathfinder has grave knights, which are like lich fighters. So, theoretically, there is some trick to making lich like lichs without them being wiiiizaaards.

I couldn't find any good pictures though.
>>
>>46199410
>An idea I agree with.
Good.
>An idea I disagree with.
Change it to all caps and add some LOL so it's very clear I think this idea is retarded. Follow up by telling this contributing poster he should not contribute any more.
>>
>>46199472
See, i could have posted an MSpaint comic in response but i'm too lazy to shitpost right now.

You're right, but my post was more about how the idea was presented.
>>
>>46199455
liches however are undead, so especially if they're older they should gain an increasingly more alien thought process
things that were of value to them in life may lose all meaning in undeath.
Status symbols like expensive clothing, visible jewelry etc only hold value to something that is still involved with society and still cares about the adoration of mortals.

A truly old lich may be obscenely rich but only care about it in practical terms, wealth to them may just be yet another method of furthering their actual goals and nothing more
>>
File: image.jpg (766 KB, 1500x945) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
766 KB, 1500x945
>>46199435
>>46199400
I guess I could go into a bit more detail. Basically, I have a character planned who is intended to be a lich split into two. One half is the silent protagonist, a headless horseman, something to this effect and the other is his head, a loud, brash and comedic foil who needs rescuing.

I want his body to be clearly Sleepy Hollow, but I would like his head to be clearly a lich, like Koshey, the Deathless.

I don't want him to be a skeleton, but being a zombie head doesn't seem enough. I will give the horseman a staff and an amulet, but I don't feel that is enough.

Lots of liches in media seem to have headwear, very ornate. Lots of crowns, helmets, ram horns, etc. I wonder if I could do that.

This isn't my art, someone fulfilled a request for me in a game dev General on /vg/.
>>
>>46199508
Or he may like the way it makes him look and gild his bones.
>>
>>46199533
Well the head...unless the kidnappers don't strip him off all of his shit...could wear an ornate mask?
>>
>>46199311
Story Time! Here's some philosophers humorously arguing about that very thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 769x1039) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 769x1039
>>46199573
Yeah, the kidnappers don't do shit.

That could be cool. A lot of art of
Koshey has this weird crown thing. Lots of liches have it too. Does anyone know if it has any significance? I am Russian and I have no idea. It might just be a regular crown.
>>
>>46199623
>>
>>46199638
>>
>>46199661
>>46199638
>>46199623
Useful and vaguely entertaining. In imagine I'd find it funnier if I was more well versed in philosophy.
>>
>>46199627
Since I am not russian I had no clue up until now what the hell Koshey is. Now I've read that he usually rides around on his horse naked and harasses single ladies.
So that might be something to work with.
>>
>>46199715
>Now I've read that he usually rides around on his horse naked and harasses single ladies.

That's just normal Russian behavior, though.
>>
>>46199623
>>46199638
>>46199661

fucking kek. Moar?
>>
>>46199715
He's a old folk tale. His needle in a duck in a rabbit in a chest thing is basically the closest thing to a phylactory in folk tale as far as I know.

I always assumed Liches were largely inspired by him.
>>
File: 1454367855615.png (1 MB, 1126x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454367855615.png
1 MB, 1126x1600
This is a japanese Lich
>>
>>46200328
Explain.

You sure you didn't mean, anime girl with huge knockers?
>>
Like one of those self-mummified Buddhists monks, or the statue of the starving Buddha.
>>
>>46200343
No, it's a Lich in an anime series (which doesn't take itself seriously). Her age is fixed at 20, she doesn't age.
>>
>>46200343
Guess where she stores her phylactary.
>>
You mean this kind of ornate-ness
>>
By mask do you mean this?
>>
>>46199383
>not just dipping your bones into a pool of molten adamantium
It's like you wanna get smited with that +1 mace, anon.
>>
File: Sargon_of_Akkad.jpg (135 KB, 300x570) Image search: [Google]
Sargon_of_Akkad.jpg
135 KB, 300x570
>>46199627
>>
File: A Lich.jpg (16 KB, 301x421) Image search: [Google]
A Lich.jpg
16 KB, 301x421
>>
So, hats?
>>
>>46199337
So nagash?
>>
>>46199351
>it used to be high-class material
I would add completely out of fashion now, or from a forgotten culture.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.