[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bug World X: Magic Bugs edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1457544088041.jpg (372 KB, 1026x878) Image search: [Google]
1457544088041.jpg
372 KB, 1026x878
Bug World is as it says it is. A fantasy world of small arthropod species. Moth mages, Butterfly wizards, Stag Beetle warriors, Spider rangers and much more!

Last thread we talked about town life, the life in Any Colonies, Mantis philosophy, and Cordeceps infection.

Link to current Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pAduIU7TDaKHvvaUfzRbgYj44TX_hApLeNeVu2d5bbM/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>46198328
Hell yeah this is coming along great
>>
It could be a shitty idea and that's fine, but my reasoning behind slavery for the one termites is that most workers irl are blind (except for some select species), and use pheromones to take commands. When I said slavery I didn't mean some unfair system, but a conclusion of how the bottom caste works physically. If it's dumb, though, I'll drop it
>>
>>46198473
I liked the idea of mounds using it as a form of punishment. Depending on where you want to take this, you could have debtors be enslaved if they don't pay their debts
>>
>>46198473
>>46198632
Combining these ideas, the "slave" caste would be more like indentured service, reserved for debtors, criminals, and possibly for those who wish to gain permanent citizenship for the Mound.
>>
>>46198657
I can get behind that.

Also book scorpions and glassblowers must be in high demand in Mounds, what with the need for perscription glasses and record keepers that can actually see
>>
As annoying as that anon from the past was he brought up an excellent point on tone.

>Predominately low, possibly gritty, fantasy with some areas or specific things that are high fantasy that serves to accentuate each other with elements of wierd fantasy cropping up here and there and possibly in the far past and in the greater scheme of things.

I think this can work.
>>
>>46198657
This is a great idea. I think I was asleep when the termite ideas were posted last thread, but it seems fitting to have the a slave section of some kind to do the heavy lifting.
>Every termite likes to create, but mainly in the design aspect. No one wants to have to actually start building
>>
>>46199555
I like this. I mean, we already have magic heading out in a way, given the mass production of gunpowder and alchemical concoctions thanks to the flies.
>>
>>46199666
Nah termites wouldn't mind manual labor. Makes no sense to make them lazy
>>
>>46199693
Magic is still around but yeah, enrollment is plummeting
>>
>>46199781
That's what I meant to imply. I wonder though, how far have guns come? Simple single shot muskets and pistols? Or basic repeating rifles, revolvers, and shot guns.

I'm more for the latter, if only because I have an image in my head of an outlaw ant with no name, roaming the desert
>>
>>46199988
If we go too far with guns, though, it brings into question the viability of melee weapons.
>>
>>46199988
I figured still pretty primitive. Did flies invent guns? I know beetles already had black powder.

Crossbows still outnumber guns as the main ranged weapons I figure
>>
>>46200118
Maybe simple black powder arquebusses and wheellocks?

We should look towards Warhammer for technology level.
>>
>>46200162
There may be different classes of bows and crossbows, too. Types that are for different frames, and may need four arms to use.

One race's crossbow could be another's ballista.
>>
>>46200246
I have the subterranean army reliant on primative firearms, but they're mostly for seiges and the termites up there hardly ever actually March to war
>>
>>46199988
How about an experimental pepperbox? Proper repeaters seem a bit much. Do we even have flintlocks, or was that deemed too advanced
>>
>>46200118
Well you gotta remember that everyone either has a carapace and/or can fly, so melee is still important
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 468x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 468x520
>>46200320
I say we keep it early or crude firearms only
>>
File: beetle paladin.jpg (80 KB, 660x545) Image search: [Google]
beetle paladin.jpg
80 KB, 660x545
OK just got done with RL. Here is what I have so far. Tell me what you think.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MnW1V1FHqRzsDU-NpU4W8_DhM45n4pL-oU-bj_P8_R0/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>46200378
Yeah I think PR said he preferred those early guns in an earlier thread
>>
>>46200415
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MnW1V1FHqRzsDU-NpU4W8_DhM45n4pL-oU-bj_P8_R0/edit?usp=sharing

i used the links here to help create values, thereby balancing the races

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2j6xbo/5e_guide_to_homebrewing_races/
>>
>>46198328
I wasn't around for the first thread, but can someone pretty please draw a wasp like the one in OP holding 4 swords a la General Grievous?
>>
Was just looking at the googledoc and I see no mention of the Mole Cricketsmiths. Did they get phased out and merged with grasshoppers?

I thought the crickets were an NPC race
>>
>>46200378
Figure 70's actually looks something I'd really dig for Bug World.
>>
>>46200554
Yeah when I wrote that short bit of the Spearbough Riders that was the kind of gun I was imaging the Ant Riflers used
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 485x602) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 485x602
>>46200554
Niggas had it together back in the day
>>
File: image.jpg (511 KB, 1247x898) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
511 KB, 1247x898
>>46200378
And something like this for bigger guns
>>
>>46200615
I like these. Guns should be something reserved for honor duels, possibly military spec for Royal guards, and should be more like flintlock and hand cannon style guns.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 600x350
>>46199666
Termite have tiers to their society. The blind workers are underneath the eye'd upper echelon
>>
>>46200497
I added a bit on that I believe, but I may be wrong. Still on mobile. I put it with the grasshopper section
>>
>>46200162
>>46200246
>>46200810
Reading this makes a lot more sense than having western era guns. Simple, early guns it is then
>>
>>46200993
I think that, just to make it more efficient to actually use these early single shot guns, we could make it so that they have paper cartridges with the required amount of black powder and a bullet, so that you don't spend forever reloading.
>>
How would extra limbs help when firing and reloading a gun? I think it's an important thing to consider, it could give us a good idea of what their guns might look like, parting from suitable real-life examples. Would the use of 4 arms allow one to hold a longer longarm comfortably? Or would it speed up reloading, being able to multitask more efficiently?
>>
>>46201064
That'd work and be plausible. It's not like it would take a genius to discover how to make reloading quicker, and plenty of races are quite ingenious
>>
File: image.jpg (300 KB, 1240x906) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
300 KB, 1240x906
>>46201120
Look at the Thark from Princess of Mars
>>
>>46201120
1. Sort of speed up reloading. You still have to clean the barrel after firing and hope the powder doesn't get wet.

2. You'd see the habit of using multiple guns be in more use.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 1600x674) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 1600x674
>>46201165
These Guys' slings are also pretty good for four arms
>>
>>46201226
Could see that being the weapon of choice for beetles and scorpids
>>
>>46199555
This.
>>
>>46202035
I saw Beetles as having warhammers as their weapon of choice, with miniature cannons or balistae as their ranged weapons.
>>
>>46202035
I'd see it as a weapon of the commoners, exactly like historical slingers
>>
>>46202035
>>46202231
Some beetles spray chemicals as a form of defense, you could pitch them as shock/frontline troopers with chemicak weapons
>>
>>46202231
Yeah, their weapons of choice would favor strength and power over other things like speed or accuracy.
>>
>>46202273
>>46202231
Whoops yeah I meant weapon of choice for their commoners. Spiders might like them too.

I would think that atlatls are also pretty common
>>
>>46202035
Yeah I should've just said that would be a weapon of commoners all over. Poor fly ruffians probably use them to attack from above
>>
So, what kinds of magical schools would we have, aside from Divine magic? I know we have Lightning magic and Pyromancy.
>>
>>46203857
Solar magic (butterflys), Lunar magic/Abacomancy (moths), Lighting (hornets), Pyromancy/libanomancy (bees), Biomancy (trilobites), Aquamancy (hermit crabs), Terramancy (?????), Aeromancy (??? a flying race), Shell Swirl pattern divination, spatilamancy?????

Just throwing ideas out
>>
>>46204001
I thought hermit crabs more controlled the weather than anything else, so they could make a light rain or conjure a tornado. Of course, they'd mostly use this to influence ocean currents to gather food.
>>
>>46203857
War priests fill the role of inspirational divine warrior similar to a paladin by granting buffs.

There are several types of druid and a few necromancer types.

Termite and Ant geomancers?
Butterfly wind mages
Illusionist book scorpions
>>
>>46203857
>>46204001
>>46204061
>>46204088
THIS is why we need to establish greater universal rules.
>>
>>46199666
>>46200910

Is it actually being a slave when you are literally born specifically for that purpose, and are in fact best suited for that role through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution?
>>
>>46204001
Awesome. Thanks.

I would imagine many species would only learn magic that applied directly to their own species's affinities, rather than try to learn many disciplines.

i imagine Divine Schools would be Lunar Magic, Horn amd Shell, Nature, things like that.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 480x274) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 480x274
>>46204180

Nice implication anon
>>
>>46204367

Eh, what of it?
>>
>>46204446
/pol/ pls go
>>
>>46204180
Maybe the concept of 'slavery' is a new and strange idea to termites. What if a disenfranchised ant or bee passed on the notion that a termite might not have to do the job they're literally born to do without much acknowledgement other than a sense of a job well done.

So while Rungul the Worker and his 50 brothers and sisters move chunks of rock from one pile to another, Rungal is slipped a small pamphlet describing how a special burrow collective has been formed far away with the simple question written in Not-Braille...

"is not a bug entitled to the sweat from their brow?"
>>
>>46204703
>no, says the queen in Dirtmound, it belongs to the hive!

>no, says the rhinoceros beetle in Stronghold, it belongs to the military!

>no, says the moth in Dustberg, it belongs to the moon!
>>
>>46204703
Any opinions on the issue of what magic schools or types there should be?
>>
TRYING TO GET A BUGWORLD GROUP TOGETHER
come join us as the first group to pioneer this rpg world
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/43608/bug-world
>>
>>46205098
I think is important that there shouldn't be a "good magic" and "bad magic".

Instead it should be treated as a tool that with the advent of alchemy, is falling out of favour simply by the extended time it takes to learn and the complex methods or rituals you have to perform. That and maybe the increasing reluctance of teachers to reveal all their knowledge lest it be used against them.

Over time it'd mean the schools and arts as a whole would shrink in scope (that is unless some pioneering magic students were to inject life back into failing schools with methods that are outside of the tried and tested)
>>
>>46205491
I feel that only certain few races choose to use magic, like the Bees, Hornets, Moths, and Butterflies. It doesn't seem right to me for their to be a magic wielding Beetle. This wouldn't stop a Beetle from attempting to learn to use magic, but he or she would be much less willing to do so of their own will.
>>
>>46205225
Aren't we missing several things to the game still? Like abilities for classes?

Also, I'm really new to that site. Will I need a mike?
>>
>>46205536
Only societal expectations and personal skill limit a bug from learning magic.
>>
>>46205679
>>46205536
>>46205491
>>46205098
THIS IS WHY WE NEED A LARGER MYTHOS GOD DAMNIT
>>
>>46205704
Calm down bugger
>>
>>46205679
me and trilobite anon are working on the rules set
youll probably need a mike
>>
>>46205679
Yeah, that will most likely be a very experimental game.

It might be good for them to run it though, so that some idea of rules can come about for us to look at, while we fiddle with other stuff in the thread.
>>
>>46205773
I'll join when I get one then.
>>
>>46205704
What the hell do you think we are working on? We are already explained magic and what it is, now we are figuring out how it is used
>>
>>46205225
I'd love to join, but i'll never be free at noon on a Tuesday. Hope it works out though!
>>
>>46205794
Well, every setting needs to be tried out eventually.

I think the first few sessions should be straight forward, both in plot and characters, to test it out. Then we try straining the setting in later games (unusual builds, actions, complicated story) to make sure it's solid, maybe spot potential flaws.

Anyway, hope one of the players or GM posts about how it goes sometimes.
>>
>>46205847
>current times a placeholder
did you even read it?
>>
>>46205911
wait i'm retarded
let me figure out how this website works, I'd love to help try to put some crunch into the setting/system
>>
>>46205953
Well, thankfully it has a tutorial. 7 videos a few minutes long to get the gist of things.
>>
>>46205953
itd be great to have you
trilobite anon is gming and were working on a system. post a reply in the looking for players thing and ill invite you
>>
File: spider tumble.gif (1020 KB, 270x277) Image search: [Google]
spider tumble.gif
1020 KB, 270x277
Spiders should be able to do this
>>
>>46202297
feelsbad
anyways heres the specifics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle
>>
>>46206055
We have bombardier beetles in the setting currently as the first species to begin developing gunpowder based weaponry

Their craft is kept a secret, kept hidden behind long, arduous tradition, until a fly discovered the secrets stole

This allowed the flies to go crazy with their alchemy and chemistry stuff, much to the annoyance of the bombardier beetles.
>>
>>46206109
ah, my bad. I didn't see
>>
>>46205536
Well some might have an affinity and social inclination towards it over others.

Beetles might not have the dexterity for the finer movements of some schools but could feasibly scrape by mumbling the cantrips needed to activate some pre-blessed healing dust given to them by a moth priest

>>46205704
In time...

Since there's a number of religions and social societies that all believe something different there is no concrete "this is how magic works and where its all derived from" I'd like to veer away from the DnD idea of actual, proven-by-their-miracles, pantheons as when one is created, the mystery is gone.

I mean, I could bullshit out a possible methodology here if you like.

>All magic is faith based be it in a religion or common beliefs, and all practices associated with magic simply go on to reinforce this faith
>The Lunarian priesthood so strongly believes in the teachings of the guru-like Crulace that moon magic functions and by extension others that see this moon magic practiced by priests acknowledge that "these guys must be onto something" and so priests are empowered.
>The dominant schools of magic are dominant because they have the largest number of practitioners and the magic associated with them is practiced freely and often.
>The more esoteric and obscure schools are dying out as a whole because most bugs have forgotten them or consider free practice of them as weird and wrong (e.g trilobite biomancy)
>With alchemy (read 'crude science') becoming more prevalent requiring a grain of faith to function, magic is dying out

turns out alchemy has become a magic since so many bugs entrust their faith in the mixing of chemicals rather than doing a dance to get a pot to boil without a heat source.
>>
>>46206219
But how could ancient and extinct/near-extinct magic resurface to be a threat/learned again?

For the purpose of future campaigns using that plot hook.

On an unrelated note, I think I'll add the Wasps' higher druidism that was discussed once to the docs.
>>
>>46206219
>All magic is faith based be it in a religion or common beliefs, and all practices associated with magic simply go on to reinforce this faith

I like this idea. All bugs have some innate potential within them for magic, and those that have a strong faith in one thing or another can more actively tap into this "potential". The different schools exist only because those that use magic are relying on their faith so heavily, the magic takes the shape of the faith.

>Lunarians use dust and "channel the power of the moon" simply because that is how they believe the magic to truly work
>Bugs assume that the magic is all different, and comes from an outside source
>What implications will come from the discovery that magic comes from within? Only time will tell
>>
>>46201177
Well, you don't need to clean your barrel after every shot, so in battle, cleaning isn't really an issue. Doesn't really matter how many times it's shot, as long as you clean it sometime later that day.
>>
Should I flesh out hermit crab society or do you guys want them to be more secluded and mysterious?
>>
>>46206504
They should be secluded and mysterious, but they still need a culture of some kind. Maybe flesh them out in the style of "other bugs looking in on a strange, secretive society"
>>
>>46204180
They're blind and basically brainless

This can be change for the setting, I was thinking either having have like a 85 iq, or just being normal
>>
>>46205225
Man, fuck you guys, I have class from 12-1
>>
>>46206583
>placeholder time
don't worry, I missed that too at first
>>
>>46206593
You know if it works on mobile?
>>
>>46206643
No idea, I've never used the site myself. I think the GM wants everyone to have mics though
>>
>>46206680
That's why i asked, I use mobile for this stuff since it has a pretty decent mic
>>
>>46204257
>>46206453
>>46206219
I understand that you guys want boring, saccharine fantasy shlock where the only interesting facet is "lol bug dudes amiright" but we need to consider the underpinnings of the universe
>>
>>46206453
>>46206219
I like the idea that all magic is derived from one's will to cast it.

Basically all the eldritch tomes and dusty spellbooks are just there to convince oneself that they are skilled enough to cast it. Clerics call upon a tulpa gestalt of their religions creation and basically use themselves as a hose through which they can channel power. Something is different about Magi/Sorcerers though, in that they are born using magic, which makes them super dangerous.

Everything in the world revolves around how much you really want to do it, and if you're a bad enough dude to get it done.
>>
>>46206825
>Something is different about Magi/Sorcerers though, in that they are born using magic, which makes them super dangerous.
What do you mean by this? How are they "born using magic"?
>>
>>46206701
pretty sure it works on mobile
if you join we can test it out
>>
>>46206318
Well in that case maybe the old magic might resurface by present day bugs translating or reading ancient records of this extinct magic and trying it themselves.

Since its taken at face value e.g "they wouldn't record all these rituals on these golden plates for nothing!" that would be enough to spark it back.

Maybe some ancient and dangerous magic is addictive in practice and insidious where once you learn a little you are compelled to share the knowledge with others.

>>46206732
So what fascinating underpinning universe features will dredge this world out of the "saccharine fantasy schlock" you suggest it is?
>>
>>46207163
He wants the beetles to kill a planet.
>>
I'm liking the Faith based "It works so it must be true" style of magic. It leaves the presence of God's nebulous, which is cool.
>>
>>46206549
>the hermit crab population is spread far and wide across the seas
>indeed, it is a rare sight indeed to see more than one or two hermit crabs in the same place at the same time
>the few hermit crab settlements encountered are surrounded by oceanic trenches that permit no entry, and heavily feature spires cut from the rock
>some of these spires are even said to reach the sea surface
>the only hermit crabs seen outside of these settlements are young, only just coming into their prime, and do not speak of their homes
>>
will there be any supernatural bug entities
like demon spiders being summoned by bug sorcerers

side note is there any fluff on centipedes
>>
>>46207535
>is there any fluff on centipedes
Nothing concrete yet I don't think. Saw some anons wanting them to be big pestilence spewing dragons like those in the Dark Ages manuscripts or St George fought. Others said they were venomancer cultists.

Not sure if we want them to be sentient or mindless monsters
>>
>>46207535
We have very little fluff on centipedes, and as far as I know we haven't even decided of they are sapient.
>>
>>46206873
I think anon means something in line with the D&Dish distinction between wizards and sorcerers. Wizards learn to use magic, sorcerers use innate magic. Not quite sure how that would work in this sense though. People that use magic without thinking about it?

Also, what would happen if someone in-universe figured out that rule? Would they zero-sum and poof out of existence/become a superhuman?

New to these threads, but really interested in this idea. I'm really, really new to /tg/ roleplaying, and my schedule is crazy, or I'd love to join that group.
>>
>>46206825
Not to draw needless similarities but that sort of reminds me of World of Warcrafts Priests. They cast magic that could be considered holy or divine yet they are able to manipulate shadow and use psychic attacks.

They were fluffed as their powers being psychics rather than magic-users meaning that because the Priests believed they could cast healing magic then, damnit, they can cast healing magic.
>>
>>46207535
Centipedes are the angrier, wilder and far more dangerous millipede alternative species.

"Whereas millipedes are stubborn but tamable creatures, centipedes are downright aggressive and uncontrollable. Favouring the dank jungle climates centipedes are fiercely territorial and many variants have deadly venom with which they paralyse and kill intruders."

>>46207702
I assumed that venomancers were just bugs that worshiped centipedes and other large and feral venomous bugs as the living incarnations of their Poison God or something
>>
>>46207746
I think if someone found out the truth about magic, it would make them go insane in a way. Kinda like that one Hermit crab story written by Arbites I think
>>
>>46207824
Keeping it vague would be pretty nice. Maybe he figured out the truth, maybe he was just actually insane. Magic should be this barely-understood phenomenon, even if players know the rules.
>>
>>46207819
>I assumed that venomancers were just bugs that worshiped centipedes and other large and feral venomous bugs as the living incarnations of their Poison God or something
Love it. That works perfectly
>>
>>46207465
I want you to leave the Internet, actually, so your narrow-minded idiocy can poison something else.

>>46207163
Magical metaphysics, intellectually challenging concepts, obscure lore, internal consistency that is horribly inconsistent, a wierd magic system, a bizarre true nature of Gods and reality, etc
>>
>>46207525
I have my own reasons for all of this, but I think it'd be more fun to leave it up to the GM.
>>
>>46208005
Oh hey Myrmidon thought it was you
>>
>>46206825
It could be that Magi/Sorcerers are born with the unique power to initiate the first steps to creating a faith, being the only ones that can build upon an existing magic school by creating the weird practices themselves. Kind of like how gamblers assume their actions are part of a grand lucky ritual so keep doing it as long as something happens.

This would make them insanely powerful if they were to know what they could do.

"Yuarn was surprised that when he held his claws together and hit the table three times he could instantly remember every single action he undertook up to that point in time. Had he been a moth or butterfly he would have thanked the moon or sun but he was just a worker Ant eating his lunch. He tried again, this time holding his claws a little differently and hit the table three times. Suddenly he could feel memories not yet experienced flood his humble brain which made him feel quite sick."

>"Bollocks to that I must have eaten something weird"

"Alas, and so the last seed of the school of Remembrance died that day"
>>
>>46208005
Calling someone narrow-minded for pointing out how absurd and over-the-top those ideas where are why people don't listen to you.

If we wanted a setting like that, we should have agreed beforehand in the first couple of threads.
>>
>>46208095
Hey PR I dumped a little bit last thread about Geckos, their places in the world and a race of newly sentient and secretive geckos and wondering if you saw it and what you think? Just as every fantasy setting seems to have an invertebrate intelligent race we could possibly have a lone vertebrate as well.
>>
>>46208095
I prefer the idea that someone just thought, "Hey, this seems like a ritualistic thing. This should work!" Like, maybe once, in the distant past, the rituals had meaning behind them, but today bugs just go through the motions to achieve what they think should happen. Magic is falling out of practice because the Flies and other newcomers are questioning the basis of these rituals. There's no question that they work, but why do they work? Perhaps all of bug-kind was given a spark in its creation by some primordial God or Gods.
>>
>>46208243
At the risk of being accused of making a sue race, I'd suggest that perhaps the hermit crabs know slightly more about this than other races.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_K7Tp97PsE

Some anon posted this several threads back and I think the Wasp Hordes should do this before taking off as sort of a pre-battle ritual that would amp them up
>>
>>46202231
Axes and greatswords may work too - really, anything that would let them use their strength and size to just wade in and fuck up a whole slew of enemies at once would be ideal for them.
>>
>>46208402
The rhythmic buzzing? That would be fucking awesome - like a pre-battle ritual dance to psyche themselves up.
>>
>>46208563
And psyche their enemies out.
>>
>>46208122
Have you ever played an Elder Scrolls game? Morrowind specifically because thats what people want, although I don't think they know what they want, but I think Skyrim is preferable in this argument.

Have you?
>>
>>46208652
Oh sure, because the player characters smashes astrological objects all the time in that. Silly me.
>>
Um I'm kinda new to 5e I'm reading the doc but I'm kinda lost, help?
>>
>>46208840
We don't have a system for the setting as of yet, so this is just a description of the setting. The "Stats and classes" sections don't really mean anything right now
>>
>>46208894
I tried my hand at making some racial modifiers in an earlier thread. They weren't added, but several are probably out of date by now anyways.

We really need to elaborate on classes though.
>>
>>46208954
I don't think it's the right time currently to start elaborating on classes, as we're still creating the world and cultures
>>
>>46208711
>Silly me
Indeed, acceptance is the first step. Player characters never smash celestial bodies but they do send the incarnation and avatar of a celestial body into the future, whilst being a reincarnated aspect of a different god which mantled a dead god which is a celestial body, which is the same god as the first one. The fight between the PC and Alduin is basically one entity fighting itself through six degrees of separation and behind a hundred proxies.

However, did you know that the Altmer had vehicles called Sunbirds that where spaceships, the Dwemer hacked reality then turned themselves into Gurren Lagaan then got sent into the future by Tiber Septim, or that the Hist are actually creatures from the last reality, or kalpa? Or that the legendary Crusader Pelenial Whitestrake was a crazy genocidal cyborg from the future? Or that the whole universe itself is a dream?

There's so much crazy stuff going on in history and the background, but you never notice it.

If you think that I wanted Beetles to punch a planet in the current time period, or in any known capacity, is a failure to communicate on my part.

Am I making a little more sense now?
>>
>>46208954
I think there was this earlier
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MnW1V1FHqRzsDU-NpU4W8_DhM45n4pL-oU-bj_P8_R0/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>46208999
Nice trips, what needs work now?
>>
>>46208999
Still, we should keep in mind some stuff for that discussion later, like how different sized races would use each class. If someone wanted to try making a scorpion rogue work, then there would probably be a skill that lets it bury itself for stealth, for example.
>>
>>46209027
Oh yes, you made it quite clear just how pretentious you are.

Tone it down with the cosmic stuff already.
>>
>>46209040
read through the doc, look at what races seem sparse. Ants could use some love, as well as Grasshoppers.
>>
>>46209152
Can do
>>
>>46209027
I'm sorry but that sounds like utter garbage dredged out of a Michael Moorecock wannabes 'draft quintology'
>>
>>46209129
Hey you're no less of a piece of shit bub, what with the passive aggressive nonsense.

Ain't no "cosmic" shit. It's wierd shit tucked in the corners or sitting on the wall.

Stop acting intellectually challenged
>>
>>46209168
I have no idea what any of those words mean desu

Those are facts from the Elder Scrolls universe. The fact that you didn't know about them proves my point.

>Wierd stuff, there when you want it, hidden when you don't. True when you want it, legend when you don't
>>
>>46209186
Im not him. Stop acting like an intellectual.
>>
>>
Guys please we're all just trying to build this world if you're going to be asshats kindly fuck off.
>>
>>46209298
I love it. Any chance you could do a hermit crab?
>>
>>46209298
are these oc for bugworld?
>>
>>46209186
Pot meet kettle. And I only started the passive aggressiveness when you started acting like a twat and got on my nerves. Before that, I argued reasonably.

But since you insist, I won't tiptoe around it anymore. It's shit. You are clearly trying to push your own high end mythos and reshape the setting. And it's not 'tucked away in corners' at all you ass. It doesn't go well at all with most of what's been established already. That sort of tone for the world's cosmology should've been agreed on earlier to have worked. You're not even proposing ideas based on what you suggested that would meld in better.

So stop.
>>
>>46209328
Seconded.
>>
>>46209253
I'm really not. Spouting Elder Scrolls facts can make anyone seem smarter then they are.

I'm just saying we can add layers of complexity to the setting. Did Khepri blow up a moon with a falcon punch or is it metaphor? Are the leeches creatures from the void? If so what did they been by that? Are gods real? Elder Scrolls answers this question pretty clearly, but we can allude to interesting answers of our own, possibly some conflicting ones.

All I'm asking for is that we challenge our selves in making something more than comfy bug adventures on the inside.

I like comfy and fun as much as the next guy, but some psuedointellectual nonsense that can be interpreted in a thousand different ways and keeps things fresh with each new take on the more esoteric lore.

>>46209363
>Pot meet kettle.
Saww dude.

>>46209363
>You are clearly trying to push your own high end mythos and reshape the setting. And it's not 'tucked away in corners' at all you ass.
I'm not tho. And it all depends on how we do it, innit?
>>
>>46209328
I really want to, but that guy pisses me off. I'm leaving for a bit to get a good night's sleep and calm down. Hopefully, he'll have quit by then.
>>
>>46209470
Probably not. I have plenty of rhetoric left
>>
>>46209230
>The fact that you didn't know about them proves my point.

What point?
That you really want some undergrad my-first-weird-fantasy bullshit in there so you can get your rocks off on how smart you sound coming up with it?

Yeah no thanks
>>
>>46209529
>>46209470
>>
>>46209549
What are you replying too?
>>
>>46209152
Grasshoppers seem a lot like dwarves so I'll draw inspiration from that
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>46209298
If you want to do termites, I have some ideas/sketches on how they would look that aren't as crude as this
>>
>>46209656
I got a dwarves meets Hares from Redwall vibe from them, if you ever read Redwall
>>
>>46209298
Yo this is awesome!
>>
>>46209328
I agree BeetleAnon. This is collaboration which means that we all need to work together. Try to have some semblance of manners. This is /tg/ not /b/.
>>
>>46209547
No, but I think it's really wierd that you guys think the only reason to make such a setting is to be stunned at my own brilliance.

People said they wanted wierd, and my presentation is really in your face because you two keep making it a problem, but it would be rather subtle, like how Arbites has done.
>>
>>46209152
I still wonder if Crickets should have their own separate race instead of lumping them into the grasshoppers.

I saw Crickets as being a very common race, almost as populous as the flies and as wide-spread. Crickets are on the shorter side, barely taller than an Ant or Termite but they're powerful jumpers. Crickets love music and commonly whistle, hum, drum or "chirp" as they work on tasks, sometimes to the chagrin of their coworkers. They can be found in nearly all environments and walking nearly every path of life imaginable. Though many are content to live simple lives on farms or working in cities alongside Roaches and Flies there are indeed Cricket adventurers and heroes.

One such hero was Noisy Jihm or Lucky Jihm, depending on who tells his tale. Born in a Termite Mound he was a nymph that constantly got into trouble with his absurdly loud chirping and mischievousness that lead to a love of pranks and rough-housing that got him into constant trouble. Coming of age he was finally banished from the Mound after the passing of his parents. Hitching a ride on a caravan out of town he grew friendly with the caravan guards that included an old beetle warrior and an exiled butterfly mage missing most of their wings.

After convincing both to train him Jihm found he had a knack at aeromancy and swinging around a mace larger than he was. The pair of older mercenaries were amused by the young cricket and his new style of fighting that utilized minor aeromancy cantrips and the crickets natural jumping ability to leap over his enemies swinging his mace with surprising force.

>cont
>>
>>46209863
This is why people are tired of you. Not only do you not compromise, but you are obsolutely full of yourself. No one wants to agree with the arrogant guy tooting his own horn.
>>
>>46210001
As he grew older he found himself constantly stumbling into misfortunes more often than finding his own fortune. During a particularly harrowing encounter with a Basilisk that trapped him and his group the cricket earned his name, enhancing his already shrieking chirping with his magic to produce a shockwave of deafening sound and pressure that stunned the beast, allowing his companions to rally and slay it.

He is common seen as a folk hero to crickets everywhere and young cricket and grasshopper nymphs play at recreating his wildest tales. There have even been cricket adventurers following in his path and replicating his fighting and magic styles.

>>46209802
Honestly the Hares from Redwall vibe was totally what I got from the Grasshoppers, especially from the one that PR drew in the line-up. I sorta want the Mole Crickets being the settings dwarfs but that could be just me. Folks can ignore all this if they want since I know we have too many player races already
>>
>>46209588
Misclicked
>>
>>46210001
Musicians maybe?
>>
>>46210023
I've deliberately said I'm not tooting my own horn. If I had one I'd be hitting you with it.

Besides, compromise? Compromise?! There had been NO room for compromise. Just Shitposting, personal attacks, passive aggression and flat out denials from both sides.

There's been no dialogue, there's been no cooperation, there's been no tentatively tapping into our inner Kirkbride and seeing where it can take us. Just
>Hey this is cool
>REEEEE
>Okay, dumbass let me shiver facts up your ass
>REEEEEEE
>FINE REEEEEE
>REEEEEE
>REEEEEE

It's getting me nowhere
>>
>>46210047
Oh definitely musicians. I saw surface Crickets almost like the Hobbits in that they're almost always upbeat and cheerful and they love parties. Not to generalize of course.
>>
>>46210043
CRICKET BARDS
>>
>>46210110
Look, I'm willing to compromise, but everyones been a piece of shit about this topic, myself included.

Let's just start here: How wierd are you willing to go?
>>
>>46209834
Yeah try and keep it civil.

>>46209863
There's nothing preventing you from placing your own woo into the setting if you think it might make your games more interesting.

What i'm not so keen about is how you've not actually contributed anything other than "here is my list of things I want put in it metaphysic etc" and you flipping out here >>46210110 implies that you didn't really have anything in the first place.

If you have suggestions that relate to your desired weirdness relevant to the setting, please feel free to post them and i'm sure if they are interesting they can be included.
>>
Crabanon here. What are abominable yeti crabs? I see them mentioned in the doc, but they are not elaborated upon.
>>
>>46209040
Are we doing anything more to religion, like say 1-2 gods for each race, or are we leaving it as-is, a universal pantheon?
>>
>>46210234
WHa'd you think of the idea of Geckos in the setting that was posted last thread?
>>
>>46210406
I'd like it better if it was salamanders or newts
>>
>>46210388
That's a question for MapAnon. I'm just some pleb that loves bugs
>>
>>46210195
yes I envisioned them as bards originally
>>46210406
Potentially...

I'm not sure if they'd be at a level of making villages but MAYBE they'd work at a super crude primordial stage of development. Sticks and rocks tier and barely .

I'm not sure if it fits but that's up to others to decide.
>>
>>46210584
I'd like to keep Bugs as the focus of the setting, really.
>>
We doing anything with frogs/toads? I imagine they'd be giant swamp monsters who lure bugs in with their songs before stealing them away with their tongues. Similar to a chameleon, only with luring tactics instead of stealth.
>>
>>46210584
>>46210638
Yeah caveman primordial level was more of the level of development I meant. The most advanced they get are cave paintings maybe. Like I said, no hard feelings if folks don't want to include them.

>>46210666
Giant toads are raised by leeches as livestock and spiders raise small frogs like pets similar to dogs or cats with some tarantulas taming giant frogs as mounts.

Giant salamanders are a bane for bugs that live in swamps or rivers. An anon even came up with a Salamander Behemoth called Ba'Gaw a few threads back
>>
>>46210743
>the primitive amphibian tribes can be drawn to worship anything, from a large or particularly shiny boulder in their territory to a rogue fly who once convinced them that he was a spirit of the hunt
>>
>>46210638
>>46210743
Actually, just as I posted that reply, I realized it's subtle genius. Geckos or salamanders (or other suitable small lizards) could be part of the 'small' dangers in the Bug World. Right now the setting is rife with large monsters, gargantuan creatures, and other such dangers that make for great endgame pieces, but we're kind of lacking in underlings and small threats. Geckos could be these threats. By their lonesome, they're stupid, barely a step above non-sentient, but when massed, they're extremely dangerous, ambushing the weak, wounded, or old, like opportunistic predators. Stumbling upon a group of them could be an 'encounter' by itself, the challenge being in the numbers, rather than in special abilities or gimmicks. Think of goblins, which are great analogues for what I'm thinking of. Of course, perfectly emulating other fantasy tropes is not terribly exciting, but we have an empty niche here, and plenty of time to think of ways to make them stand out.

tl;dr I take it back, cavemen geckos sound great.
>>
File: 6978007064_0ce2cefb59_z.jpg (199 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
6978007064_0ce2cefb59_z.jpg
199 KB, 640x425
>>46210388
idea for a god the Leeches would worship

Healing is a way of life for most leeches. Their natural skills making them some of the best healers in the world, many of their teachings attribute their skills and lessons to those learned from a primordial god.

Named simply the Kind God they take the form of an albino giant axolotl. These lessons, which serve as much of the leeches few recorded histories, talk about how Leeches bloated on the blood of Giant Axolotls dreamed of the Kind God and were imparted knowledge of medicine and healing. The Kind God only asked of one thing from his new Disciples, one request, "Heal those in need and never turn away those that come in peace." This has shaped much of the culture surrounding the Leeches that have taken up the mantle of Healers and Doctors.

Common Giant Axolotls are docile swamp and coastal dwelling amphibians that live completely aquatic lives peacefully grazing on weeds and algae. They are occasionally kept as livestock by Craw of the River Cities or by Leeches and Crabs. Axolotls are well known in the swamp and coastal villages for their remarkable regenerative abilities. Many Craw "harvest" from their livestock, most putting the amphibians into a stupor before cleanly amputating a limb or their tail while crueler ranchers forgo the anesthesia all together. The Axolotls are able to regrow their missing limbs if allowed to rest and given enough vegetation to eat. Some of the largest Craw cities have aquatic stables where pampered Axolotls float and chew on waterweeds, multiple limbs missing or in various states of regrowth.
>>
>>46210995
Pic related sounds like it could work. The could be as simple as Bullywugs from 5e
>>
>>46211020
They could be equivalent to Lizardmen. Except a bit dumber.

As for other low level baddies, we could have things like:

>Reanimated Hollows (Exoskeletons/Corpses) roaming about
>Fly Bandits
>Locust/Wasp Barbarians
>baby sneks
>small frogs
>Mosquitoes
>>
File: leopard-gecko-01l.jpg (95 KB, 740x370) Image search: [Google]
leopard-gecko-01l.jpg
95 KB, 740x370
>>46210995
>>46211203
But geckos are reptiles
>>
>>46211233
>not choosing frog master race

How about we have the frogs in the swamp and geckos in the deserts
>>
File: Golden_geckos.jpg (150 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Golden_geckos.jpg
150 KB, 800x600
>>46211233
I was imagining something more like pic related but with flint spears and wooden clubs and warpaint
>>
would some of the followers of the wasp horde be kind of like mandalorians? like the mainstream wasp/hornet queendoms are trying to become more diplomatic leading many of their kind to join the great wasp horde because its "the old way"
>>
>>46211307
Ever played Dragon's Dogma? Saurions would fit the bill nicely.
>>
>>46211323
There was an anon that kept posting about a break-away faction of Wasps trying to be more peaceful and no longer parasitizing sentient beings after encountering the cordyceps.

>>46211347
They were my big inspiration for the tribe of geckos.
>>
>>46211387
>no longer parasitizing sentient beings after encountering the cordyceps
like, "Oh shit, being a parasite is actually pretty fucked up!" ?
>>
>>46211387
cordecyps infected bugs should behave in a hive mind like flood from halo
>>
>>46211419
Infections like that only have one objective, spread. I feel like they should be more akin to zombies the flood are a bit too organized.
>>
>>46211419
Pretty sure they do. There was a story last thread about an Ant's encounter with a Cordyceps infested town and the attempt to burn out the infection it doesn't end well
>>
>>46211497
I also think 'zombies' is a better direction to take, but somehow I think the optimal choice is a middle ground between both. They're not exactly an 'intelligent hive mind', but in seemingly random actions and subtle behaviors, a drive, or direction can be gleaned.
>>
>>46211646
>>46211512
>>46211497
Zombie-like when a wild strain but more intelligent and guided and deadly if undercontrol of a Necromancer(Cicada)?
>>
>>46211646
I'm not getting what you're saying. I understand you think they should be somewhere in the middle but I'm not understanding how they would be considered so. Like what seperates your suggestion from the aforementioned hive mind or mindless shambler?
>>
>>46198328
All this talk of the larger cosmic thing sparks an idea. Feel free to adapt or discard.

>The Cycle of Worlds theory
>According to the Trilobite tablets found at Gantja Dig Site A, this world was not the first
>The first world after the universe was created is nameless, but the time it exists was called The Age of Worms
>The Trilobites say they were created during this age, but that world came to a close as the seas rose and fall and the stars stared hard rays.
>Thus the nameless world of the Age of Worms came to a close.
>The second world came from the muck of the first, and is called Paradis by the Trilobites. This age is known as The Age of Trilobites.
>The Trilobites survived the previous world, and harnessed Bioform magic to greater heights
>But they were not alone, the Ammonites that developed in this age waged war against them
>With strange magical warfare, Paradis fell, and with it the Trilobites and the Ammonites fell as well
>Now here is the weird part
>The tablets recorded the next ages, long after the Trilobites that built them perished
>The next world that grows out of the husk of Paradis was called Cthon, and it's age The Age of Krakens
>As you may have guessed, it was at this time the Krakens and their ilk was created
>Life was cruel and vicious at first, but the Krakens managed some semblance of civilization
>At least before the seas suddenly took their breath away and the land baked under the sun for their violent nature, and so Cthon dies.
>The next world that rose from the ashes of Cthon was ours, of The Age of Bugs
>But aside from that, the tablet is blank
>My hypothesis is that a Trilobite seer wrote these tablets, before the catastrophe of Paradis happened
>>
>>46211722
to the untrained eye they have random movments/battle strategy but certain worrying trends can be seen like ambushes and coordinated assaults
>>
>>46209152
Don't forget Assassin bugs man. They haven't gotten love in the last 3 threads
>>
>>46211779
meant for
>>46211712
>>
I'm back. Any developments I should be aware of?
>>
>>46211779
You replied to the wrong person but I understand what you mean now.

>be pround ant soldier
>get ordered to clear a blight
>forthehive.jpeg
>get to infected area no survivors insight just spores
>spot some infected close by
>rally squad to cut them down
>ground falls from under us
>infected antlion has us trapped
>"clever girl"
>>
>>46211867
Anons still want a two dimensional setting. More at 11
>>
>>46211867
was it you that joined the roll20 campaign?
>>
>>46211712
>Like what seperates your suggestion from the aforementioned hive mind or mindless shambler?
>>46211779
This, in essence. Or perhaps it may look like their spread goes in a certain direction by pure chance, it's too coincidental that they head towards a town recently struck by famine, or that they may be moving away from a threat.
>>
>>46211912
No, but I'd like to.
>>
>>46211867
Cordeceps is being fluffed out a bit more, as mindless zombie drones when still low in numbers. However in larger masses the fungus starts to gain more intelligence, starting to use tactics and spread in an Infested zone.

Nobody knows what happens after that.

last post before bed
>>
>>46211925
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/43608/bug-world
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Too anthropomorphic?
>>
>>46211983
Alright, I just signed up
>>
>>46211722
I like it - the idea of world cycles is out there enough to frighten and intrigue scholars but when viewed through a veil of Trilobite archaeology its left up to interpretation what with translation errors and general pissing about with history when it doesn't quite fit (which happened all the time in the real world with victorian archeologists)

It'd certainly throw a spanner in the works for magic users or ardent followers of a faith with a concrete creation myth (might even make them lose any magical ability if they are convinced that bugs just popped up instead of being created or they could deny this as uneducated trilobite superstition when of course we all came from the moon right)

Last post before i'm off.

Given the rough time period of late medieval/early renaissance, bug archaeologists and historians are unlikely to be discovering hard-lined, factual grand truths given the lack of the scientific method, advanced cross referencing of information or suitably subtle tools to analyse things. (flies are moving towards this but at an incredibly slow pace with a lot of arguing)

If there is to be weird ideas and greater metaphysical concepts that wish to be included, wrap them up as accounts of those discovering hints to them and always leave it open to interpretation / error / misunderstanding. It is the GMs decision as to what is true on that level.

>>46211983
keep the threads up to date with your games. It would be very interesting as to how this plays out as a playable setting (which was the intention all along)
>>
>stage one
>after initial exposure the patient will begin to show signs of weariness and confusion often times forgetting where they and what they are doing, there are no visual signs of infection at this stage
>stage two
>the subject will start to become less and less aware of their surroundings, they will slowly use their ability to form coherent thoughts and can often times be heard muttering about strange noises being heard in the back of their minds. physically at this stage the subjects eyes will be glassed over and they will move with unsteady, jerking motions.
>stage 3
>the subject, after a short fit of hallucinations will revert into a trance like state, freezing in place and staring off into space, at this time the subject should be restrained or euthanized as this is the final stage before complete fungal takeover. physically at this stage, small fungal stalks will begin to push through the patients exoskeleton.
>stage 4
any sign of rational thought is lost, the patient will launch into a frenzy in the presence of uninfected insects, attacking without fear for its own safety, not differentiating between loved ones and other uninfected insects. physically the subject's exoskeleton will be covered in a varying amount of fungal growths giving off large amounts of spores.
excerpt from leech medic yog'son following the dark forest crossroads infection
>>
>>46212298
What will you be playing AntAnon?
>>
>>46212358
What about Arbites five spheres?

Maybe the two can go together?
>>
>>46212298
invite sent
>>
>>46212384
An old soldier ant from a destroyed hive, looking for something to serve.
>>
>>46212384
are you in the game beetleanon
>>
>>46212408
and accepted
>>
>>46212435
Yeah I'm in In Lorenzo C.>>46212460
>>
The scorpions could worship Pandinus as a sort of god emperor, and the Komodo Dragon as a god of death, but they fear not death, as they will fight with and for Pandinus
>>
>>46212433
I'm a young soldier Ant looking for adventure. This'll be interesting.
>>
>>46212471
cool now that we have a full party ill post a thread about full character backstories/info you guys can post in at your leisure
>>
>>46212513
ill be playing an ex member of the great wasp horde who was a lieutenant of hawk who left after hawks death as he was more ly
>>
>>46212562
There's no racial discrepancies against Wasps is there? If so holy fuck that would suck. Everywhere you go people are looking at you with hate or fear
>>
>>46212610
with the ruleset were working on wasps take a penalty when interacting with bees
>>
I was thinking that Army Ants would make a good antagonist race. While regular Ants are a settled, urbanized culture who generally get along alright with other bugs, Army Ants are well-organized nomadic legions of genocide that don't stop until you slaughter them all. They'd probably be a lot like Wasps than other Ants, and pretty much everyone would hate them. I figure the other bugs would have pushed them off to the harsh fringes of the world.
>>
>>46212649
>meet disgruntled bee merchant
>roll for diplomacy
>rolls a 1
>you tell him that if his kind had died out this wouldn't be a problem
>>
>>46212236
It's supposed to e a noble termite knight
>>
>>46212701
Driver ants would fit that role better. They don't give a single fuck about anything.
>>
>>46212742
Alright then. Maybe the Army Ants are just very militant and xenophobic, and occasionally also pretty destructive.

Anyway, I've heard talk of gunpowder in this setting. How common is it? I think it would work to have it be pretty ubiquitous, since everyone has some kind of natural armor. I don't think bows or crossbows would be terribly effective in this setting, so early firearms could be the basic ranged weapons.
>>
>>46212900
They said we're using very early forms of muskets. Crossbows are semi viable but they need a lot of force. I like the army ant idea.
>>
>>46212900
Whoops. Thanks to the flies gunpowder is pretty wide spread. Last thread they mentioned that firinging lines could be a part of the bigger military engagements
>>
>>46212900
Three-armed slings and atlatls are the commoners ranged weapons

Crossbows are the most common ranged weapons of armies and guards, they may use explosive or incendiary bolts if they have access to a Fly Alchemist

Handgonnes and early rifles and cannons are becoming more common because of Flies developing ways to massproduce gunpowder and inventing guns.
>>
>>46206453
We Darksouls magic now? Because that's an idea I could get behind.
>>
>>46211143
>amphibians that live completely aquatic
I know it's Axolotls, but still this wording hurts me.
>peacefully grazing on weeds and algae
I...I really wanna object to this.
RL Axolotls are ambush predators that'll eat anything that fits in their mouths.
But as a whole that's some sweet lore there, so you get a pass. Excuse me a moment, I'll just be bludgeoning my inner biologist into a coma.

>>46212900
I understand why you might think so Anon, but bows and crossbows have a place. Sure having an exoskeleton does give a measure of protection, but powerful bows and especially crossbows have very high penetrating power. Consider also that our bugs mostly stand upright, which would expose their thinner under sections. For just about any bug such weapons present a threat. Now a bug in full armour? Probably not too worried about a long archer. But still would want to stand in volley fire.
And a couple of vids for reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSBvSID2AI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci56-IC0U2c

Now how do we feel about the creation of a gdoc for lore snippets? There's been plenty of good bits and pieces but not all of them fit into the core that the doc is meant to be. So why not have a separate linked doc that can be a repository for fluff snippets?
>>
>>46215841
Oh my god I can't even type.
>lone archer
>wouldn't want
>>
>>46211951
What if the Cordyceps were some kind of Trilobite organic supercomputer that got weaponized during the war against the Ammonites? That's why the infected seem to get smarter: it just wanted to think again, to philosophize and research.
But to do that, it needs biomass, to turn into raw computing power...
>>
>>46215841
>>amphibians that live completely aquatic
>I know it's Axolotls, but still this wording hurts me.
>>peacefully grazing on weeds and algae
>I...I really wanna object to this.
>RL Axolotls are ambush predators that'll eat anything that fits in their mouths.
>But as a whole that's some sweet lore there, so you get a pass. Excuse me a moment, I'll just be bludgeoning my inner biologist into a coma.
I'm a dummy, sorry. I was trying to make them like manatees but I got kinda drunk there
>>
>>46215841
>>46216017
I shoulda done a better job with the Axolotl lore. Hell I used to have one as a teen
>>
>>46211203
>>46210388
>>46210224

What if the underpinning functionality of magic and divinity in the setting has to do with sheer force of will.

As in, the anon that mentioned the frogs worshipping a fly as a god. If enough frogs start worshipping him, genuinely believing him a god, the fly will begin to taste the edge of divinity, at which point, maybe he has also convinced himself of his godhood, which makes it stronger etc. and it snowballs.

The reason the Lunar Temple etc. can "teach magic" is because of common held believes leashed in the ancient past that say "yeah those guys have magic."

The mages are at such odds with the Alchemist's Guild because the Guild is effectively trying to demystify magic by codifying it, which will inadvertently perhaps sabotage magic in the sense that its no longer magic, its either science, or its bullshit.

Studying dead arts could be particularly intensive because there isn't the raw gestalt power "backing it" as there is with pop magic. But it all had to start back somewhere, and people had to genuinely believe it so it has roots in something.

Of course, none of the bugs realize this. Some scholars might be on its trail but would likely be shamed and ridiculed by their peers, and there would be attempts to silence them from the religious temples and mage societies etc.
>>
>>46215912

thats kind of cool. Its a consciousness that so desperately wants to be whole again, but it needs more biomass
>>
>>46200465

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ifPJEhGw1EE3-2RPhxC-fct5sxrBrePJERB2VcwvyRw/edit?usp=sharing

I`m also working on a DnD 5e conversion. I don`t want to step on your feet and would rather collaborate. I just feel like the races could use a bit more flavour, even if that means the balance is out of whack until we can hammer it out effectively. This is what I`ve got so far.

Once again, don`t want to step on your toes, and I appreciate all the work you`ve done so far brother
>>
>>46211722
Pretty neat. Some nice fluff on ancient Trilobites

Those tablets could also be what gave rise to the original Sacred Shedding sect, a long time ago before their rediscovery. Of course, some details got lost in translation, leading to their common beliefs.
>>
>>46216832
While several races have some natural predisposition to certain magic (fire for bees, lightning for hornets, water for crabs, ect), one's faith can also give a caster advantages in certain fields.

>Lord of the Sky grants Aeromancy, weather control, and limited communion with flying animals.
>Divine Horn and Shell grants more buffing than the others and protective spells like barriers.
>Matriarchal Devourer grants more debuffs and destruction spells.
>Lunarians grants Photomancy, healing, and divination.
>Sacred Shedding grants Geomancy, and limited destruction and healing spells.
>Golden Mound... well we already said no to fecamancy, so maybe druidsm and limited sensory magic?
>Worshiping dangerous venomous creatures is what gave rise to venomancy of course.
ect.

Not that no one else can learn spells in those categories (everyone in this world believes in magic itself, no one can deny the existence), but it's easier for the members of a certain faith and harder for to learn different spells, and the higher level ones are usually only available to certain religions by default as a result. Unaligned mages, meanwhile, could have no predispositions besides their natural ones, and be jack-of-all stats if they choose not to specialize.

Converting could make spells that used to be easy to cast harder, and vice versa for spells that used to be difficult for the caster.
>>
>>46218206
i am not that anon but i looked over your races. beetles, locusts, and mantis to a lesser extent are really strong in combat (which is fine). but moths and butterflies fall short of that power. maybe give them something magical related? like knowing cantrips/spells or give them some kind of unique roleplaying abilities.

vampirism on the mosquito being only a d6 of healing seems kind of weak at later levels despite being a bonus action per short rest. maybe make it scale or add your constitution modifier? maybe use it a number of times equal to your constitution modifier per long rest or similar to barbarian rages? maybe a buff depending on what you suck the blood out of? for example get more strength from sucking a beetle's blood or more dex from a mantis. maybe give disadvantage to the enemy whose blood you sucked on constitution checks or attack rolls for a number of rounds. just throwing ideas out, sorry if they sound awful
>>
>>46215912
I like the idea of combining this with the fact that it was one of the Trilobite's tools.

Long story short, Trilobites created Cordeceps as a tool to subjugate other races. This would allow them to twist their new slaves with Biomantic magic. After so long without its masters, the Hive mind of Cordeceps is trying to truly reawaken, so that it can serve its masters once more.
>>
>>46211905
Are you still that pissed off?
>>
>>46220734
More disappointed.
>>
>>46220793
You can always try to create your own weird fiction setting?
Might be able to come up with something interesting if that goal is there from the beginning
>>
>>46220793
Then suggest more world-deepening facts, perhaps? There's also the challenge of connecting the deep lords with what the players are bound to come across. Like, say, most players of Skyrim won't quite understand the reason the Dwemers disappeared, but they could encounter clues about it in the writings and quests.

Or maybe just elaborate more on the cultures of the bugs so they're not just equivalents of IRL cultures. I'll see what I can cook up.
>>
>>46221107
Dangit, I meant deep lore. Autocorrect, you rascal!
>>
>>46221116
Now hang on, that autocorrect may be on to something.

Religions of the nautical races hasn't been explored much.
>>
I suggested a small bit on magic in the doc. Someone read through it/post it so all can see, I can't because I'm on mobile
>>
>>46221139
Kraken worship is always an option, if at least on a King Kong-like relationship.
If we're to add the Deep Lords as a religion, maybe stir a bit of Elder Gods into it. The Deep Lords are maybe more like a natural force that can be placated a bit, and if you're lucky (or was it unlucky?) you get a gift from them. They're sometimes quite brutal towards their worshippers, but that's because they don't quite care.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 443x332
>>46221228
A couple threads back I mentioned that lobsters might worship a god-ancestor of sorts, the anomalocaridid.
>>
>>46221196
Looks fine to me.
>>
>>46221228
Given the direction the other religions are going, I don't think they should worship a god that is actually a god. Maybe they worship the deep ones, but any "gifts" are produced by the bug alone, even if they believe it to be a gift from the gods
>>
>>46221307
Who knows, maybe the Deep Lords could be deified Ediacaran fauna.
>Lord of the Five-Eyed Claw, Opabinia
>Lord of the Crushing Grasp, Anomalocaris
>Lady of the Spiky Scales, Wiwaxia
>Lord of Confusing Illusions, Hallucigenia
>Mother of Trilobites, Marrella
I think they're more like the Daedra Princes, or the Yama Kings of Shadowrun Hong Kong in that they're usually dicks to the mortals.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.