[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning new systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 1372872709516.png (97 KB, 386x262) Image search: [Google]
1372872709516.png
97 KB, 386x262
How do you go about learning a new system to play for/DM, tg?
Especially if you don't have anyone to help teach you.

I've looked at a bunch of systems but most of the systems I want to play have so much information, that just reading the base rules or even looking at how many splatbooks makes my head spin.

Ideally, I would want to attempt to join a game, get told what to start with in regards to normal play/learning, play a little, and expand from there into hosting my own game, or becoming a better player.

But how would one introduce and play a completely new system to a group of friends, when nobody at the table has even looked at the system before?
>>
File: 1458534459960.jpg (494 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458534459960.jpg
494 KB, 848x1200
>>46195572
>Especially if you don't have anyone to help teach you.
Well, what system has your interest? I assume you already looked up podcasts/youtube introductions/online information about the systems you want to learn already. Otherwise, just start reading the core rulebook and forget splatbooks for the time being.

To the second part of the question, you say something like "hey guys, do you want to play this game? I don't really know the rules to it, but we can learn together as we play it." You'll make mistakes, but guess what? It's a game, no big deal, and you'll remember not to do it next time. You will have to take some responsibility and initiative in getting things rolling, though.

As for reading rulebooks, break it down into parts and take notes. Most game rulebooks are conveniently split into chapters or sections that teach you how to play them.

First thing you should do is learn the overall resolution mechanic for the game. For example, is your principle way of resolving things rolling a d20 and then adding bonuses or modifiers, or is it a 2d6 system with a TN of 5 with penalties for distance your skills are on a chart. Or is it a dice pool system, etc.
>>
>>46195572
I feel I get a better handle on a system if I watch a session.

finding somebody that already knows the rules is the best way to learn though
>>
File: 1367471820438.jpg (61 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1367471820438.jpg
61 KB, 500x374
>>46196002
That's all excellent advice, thanks a ton.

Pretty much any system that's not normal D&D fantasy, but I'm mainly interested in any non D20 system. If I had to pick a few out I'd say the standard popular stuff. GURPS, WoD, M&M, Call/Trail of cthulu, shadowrun, ect,
I've considered podcasts and such, but most people actually playing the game aren't slowing down for the purposes of people watching them, and most "how to" podcasts make 20 minutes long videos of them saying the same thing over and over. I suppose I'll give them another try, though.
>"hey guys, do you want to play this game? I don't really know the rules to it, but we can learn together as we play it."
I actually do do exactly that, so that's something i'm already doing right, I suppose.
Breaking it down and taking notes is actually really obvious and I hate myself for not trying it, thanks.
Yeah, will do.

>>46196023
Nobody at my current FLGS does any systems I'm interested in learning (AFAIK it's 5e and Pathfinder, and already know 5e)
Slightly related- What's the system with 4 "fudge" dice? like +, blank, and - written on 2 sides each of a d6,
>>
>>46195572
What systems were those? Ever since I started delving into learning supers systems I didn't encounter the splatbooking problem like D&D had

>>46196143
>M&M
So you DID try it? All those books are not like D&D books.
In D&D they don't give you the math for how to build classes and stuff. M&M does give you ALL the math for powers in the core. Powers books just give you a truckload of examples, but you already HAVE everything needed to build them yourself, extra books are basically suggestions.
The other half of the splats are collections of ready characters (such as couple hundred DCU's) which are pretty nice, but again nothing you couldn't do yourself.
(Also you can crib powers from those characters instead of using the powers books)
>>
>>46195572
Why would I learn a new system? Pathfinder is all I need.
>>
>>46196143
>Slightly related- What's the system with 4 "fudge" dice? like +, blank, and - written on 2 sides each of a d6,
FATE. The dice are basically +1, 0 and -1 and you add them together to get a modifier to add to your skills for the action.
>>
>>46196370
I've only considered M&M, I admittedly haven't actually downloaded anything for it yet. I didn't get much interest in it from my friends compared to something like Shadowrun.
>collections of ready characters as a splatbook
Cool, now I've gotta download it.
>>46196388
Right, FATE, thanks. I thought it was FATAL for a bit but that's essentially ERP tabletop, yeah?
>>
File: 1456289025071.png (504 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1456289025071.png
504 KB, 500x500
Just read cover to cover you lazy piece of shit.
>>
>>46196435
>>collections of ready characters as a splatbook
>Cool, now I've gotta download it.
Note that those are mostly not statted for standard starting level chargen, but to use as NPCs.
(quickstart guide in GM's Kit or the deluxe corebook does have a system to build standard PC-level characters from lego blocks rather than statting them point by point from scratch)

Oh yeah and I'm talking 3e. 2e was a little more D&D like.

>Right, FATE, thanks. I thought it was FATAL for a bit but that's essentially ERP tabletop, yeah?
FATAL is not ERP tabletop, fatal is utter fucking shit tabletop.
>>
File: 1421707454742.jpg (9 KB, 200x188) Image search: [Google]
1421707454742.jpg
9 KB, 200x188
>>46196453
That's actually what I was doing before.
I don't retain anything and ended up with a headache, mostly.

>>46196496
>as NPCs
Oh, alright. Still, that seems really helpful.

so, If I'm used to D&D (3.5 and 5e, at least) should I start with 2e and work myself into 3e? or just try to jump straight into 3e.
>fatal is utter fucking shit tabletop
Gotcha. Wasn't planning on trying it in any case, but it's good to know it's bad anyway.
>>
>>46196530
No. It's not like "flavour" of D&D, it's more like the faults of D&D, i.e. splatbooks introducing new modifiers that can be overpowered or useless at basically random
>>
>>46196530
>Mega Man Legends
Whatever happens, you'll always have me, friend.
>>
File: Best.png (238 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Best.png
238 KB, 600x450
>>46196581
>series with the best girl in any megaman game
>there wont be more of her
it's an obscure kind of feel

>>46196556
So 2e is straight up not recommended for new people then? Good to know.
>>
>>46196143
>watching vids/podcasts
The useful point of vids and podcasts or replays isn't to have them tell you every little detail; it's for you to see how the "parts" work in motion. Supplement your reading and learning the rules with it.
>notes cont.
Another nice thing about taking notes is you'll have quick cheat sheets to reference the important material when you're in the middle of the game. You can also prep these sorts of handouts for your friends, which might make them more amenable to trying something new.

>46196650
Better to go with 3rd edition. M&M3rd will give you a decent introduction into a point buy 'universal' game system that could make the jump to GURPS easier in the future, if you are so inclined.

>Shadowrun or other new systems
There are generally quickstart rules you can get from the official website (for most big published games nowadays) that serve as easier intros into the game systems. Made for situations like the one you find yourself in.
>>
I find looking over the character sheet is a very useful step pretty much as soon as you get the core resolution mechanic down. You won't understand much initially but it kind of primes you I guess? Gives you an understanding of what you need to come out of the book with.
>>
>>46195572
>How do you go about learning a new system to play for/DM, tg?

Just read it, man. Game books are just directions. You should have enough reading comprehension to figure stuff out by reading the directions.
>>
Have-a-bump
>>
Firstly, this >>46197440

Secondly, as good as reading through the core rulebook is, firstly make sure you're reading through the right one. A lot of systems have a GM's rulebook and a players handbook, and the rulebook often is bloated with unnecessary information.

After you've done that, understand character creation and feel confident in rolling a character on your own

Then understand normal skill tests and other regular rolls that you'll encounter.

Lastly, make sure you have a grip of any needed lore, especially that for your race/class/whatever
>>
>>46195572

...ish? Depends on the type.

My Borgstronomy isn't so good, you know? I learned GURPS, most of Mouseguard, which I hear is a burning wheel variant, Fate, and a few others.

I can faff around in D&D

Meanwhile, I can't manage SR or exalted.
>>
>>46199634
>Lastly, make sure you have a grip of any needed lore, especially that for your race/class/whatever
and for what you think your players'll take
>>
>>46202858
in the case of DMing you need to do everything in that list x2.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.