[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Perhaps I'm just a creative lunk, but, how do you guys come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Bored wizard.jpg (436 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Bored wizard.jpg
436 KB, 900x900
Perhaps I'm just a creative lunk, but, how do you guys come about making fantasy names for characters, places, and races?

Usually I just steal stuff from folklore and mythology, but, I'm currently working on a setting I want to feel alien and strange, and I don't apparently don't have the knack for making cool sounding gibberish.
>>
>>46194718
>making fantasy names for characters, places, and races?
Use a bunch of other languages and butcher it into sounding cool, like the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Also fun fact, the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi were speaking Tagala.
>>
>>46194718
>Not using a fantasy name generator

OP, you're just making it harder for yourself.
>>
>>46194718
I'm fluent in Japanese so I type some European-sounding gibberish in katakana and translate it over and over until it sounds good.
>>
>>46194768
I use more or less the same method. When I first started DMing, I used japanese as a base since I was a massive weeaboo. Until recently, I used Irish Gaelic for a lot of stuff (unless it was out of theme). Unfortunately, my current group has someone who is actually fluent in gaelic and like to poke fun at me when I use it incorrectly.
>>
>>46194718
I steal Dorf fortresses languages, such as elvish, goblin, and human words for locations.
>>
>>46194835
>"that's silly, let's see what i can come up with"
>Alexander
>Aleku Sanderu

That's... kinda neat actually
>>
>>46194718
Ask who named it.

Peasants with low education? Give it a simple name, that anyone can relate to, like leaf people or the iron lash. Something that a regular guy can go "yeah I can see that"

Nobles? Give it a name that is also a title of some sort. Use old languages to add more titles and prestige to noble stuff.

So lets say a mountain was originally called the iron mountain. The old language called iron ferrum(yes, that is Latin from google, sue me). Add 1000 years of slurring and you get Fergum. Add a title Fergun; The Oldest Mountain or some shit.

Named by a race that used a different language a long time ago and has been slurred to hell and back? think of some words that inspire what your talking about and mash them together.

So going back to the iron mountain, if some old race of elves or orcs made it I would think of a few words that make me think of iron mountain(Ant, Red, high, cold, weapons) then add parts of them together. So iron mountain becomes An'Re Hico Pon. Its random BS, but make sure people can understand it.

And thats a brain dead morons guide to making up bullshit names. Also I am really lazy and never do this.
>>
>>46194718
A good thing to remember is a lot of places are named after religious figures or settlers. Think Baltimore, Washington, that kind of thing.
>>
>>46194718
Hours on wikipedia researching some BS I could have spent just finishing the actually important parts of the project.
>>
I like to just pull random words and syllable from other languages. Ancient Sumerian sounds pretty neat, especially for swords and sorcery.

If I was writing a novel I might get into etymology and all that, but for an RPG, I just need a hundred throwaway names for blacksmiths, town guards, nobles, and so on.
>>
>>46194857
Heir to the Colonel Sanderu empire and the known world.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_selected_stars_for_navigation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historia_Regum_Britanniae
>>
>>46199563
Master of the 21 spices, with which makes the perfect fried chicken
>>
>>46194718
sometimes I pick a related (or not) foreign language and look for something 'thematic' to what I need.
>Changeling the Lost game
>Character looks like a dragon
>His fey name is the Jewish/Hebrew word for Dragon.
>Which I can't remember for the life of me at the moment.
>>
>>46194718
For creating the orc language in my setting I mixed up words and sounds from old basque, Quechua, Finnish and Tibetan.
>>
Remove latin influences from the names of real world locations.

Monte Negro

Negro = Black
Monte = Mountain (latin) so the closest Germanic equivalent would be burg or barrow

Black Burg
Black Barrow

Pacific Ocean

Pacific = Adjective meaning peace = closest non-latin equivalent for peace is frith
Ocean = Sea

Frithly Sea

For exotic sounding names I take a Spanish noun and pronounce it backwards. Ci and Ce either use Spain's pronunciation (th) or Latin America's (s) depending on what sounds better. Hard Cs often are respelled as Ks. Silent Hs are dropped from the spelling unless it hints at a slightly different pronunciation that native english speakers are unused to (Es are often silent in English if they're at the end of a word)

Snowy Mountain place = Helado = Odaleh (O-dah-leh)
>>
I like to use botanical names for places, which also tends to give me ideas to flesh them out. Like the city of aesculus is full of chestnut trees, and their goddess of death is depicted as a moth, because there's a kind of moth in real life that fucks up chestnuts.
>>
>>46194951
This guy gets it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.