[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played WHFRP before. What edition is the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: WHFRP.jpg (111 KB, 940x420) Image search: [Google]
WHFRP.jpg
111 KB, 940x420
I've never played WHFRP before. What edition is the best? Preferably one with a good balance of easy-to-understand rules and diverse splatbook content.
>>
>>46192940
2nd edition.
>>
>>46192960
Thanks, I'll look into it. Care to elaborate on why it's best?
>>
>>46192940
I've only ever played 2e, and it's simple as hell.
Get yourself 2d10's, roll yourself up your random stats and class, and go nuts.

3e is a bit more ambitious, an attempt to try and uproot the entire game and build something a bit different.

I haven't played it yet, but if you can get past the fact there are cards, and proprietary dice, then apparently it's worth a shot.

I still love 2e though, the splatbooks are fucking incredible at setting the tone... If not the rules. Wizards in WHFRP are best played like Pratchett Wizards.
>>
>>46192940
I don't know anything about 1e, 2e is pretty fun though. I particularly love the random generation and you get what you get. 3e is a little more involved and has everything on cards and is super expensive. People tend to hate it, but I have fun with it. The tone is different, a little more colorful and heroic.
>>
>>46193013
>>46193057
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'll probably wind up playing 2e. Any fun splatbooks for a campaign that'd probably last less than ten sessions, like being an orc in a WAAAGH!?
>>
>>46193195
As far as I know most of the books are just adventures (most of which are very good) and armouries and junk. I think there is a splatbook on playing as Skaven, but I've never read it and I'm too lazy to confirm. That's probably the weirdest short-campaign fuel you'll get.

However I think it still has a pretty big dedicated fan base, I'm sure someone wrote a fan book on playing as greenskins. Which I actually really want to see now.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.