[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I build a campaign? I want to DM but I don't know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 1451593468896.gif (3 MB, 260x200) Image search: [Google]
1451593468896.gif
3 MB, 260x200
How do I build a campaign? I want to DM but I don't know where to begin.
>>
Start with the simple overarching scenario you want to run them through. After coming up with that, come up with a simple three-act structure to get them started on the scenario, along the path, and then eventually to the climax.
>>
>>46192634
You can always try running a module or other premade setting or adventure first.
>>
File: Slav it.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Slav it.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>46192634
Focus on what you want to run, keep it simple for starter or you'll have trouble down the road
>>
>>46192634
Ask your players what sorts of stories they're interested in, but don't go into too much detail. Then fill out the details with whatever feels the most obvious to you, and backtrack a bit to fix anything that came out self-contradictory.

Note that "most obvious to you" means going with the first thing you think of that sounds right, not actually spending effort to be more obvious. The key is that everyone's head is different and your most obvious things aren't theirs.

Then just wing it - the setting came straight from your head so you know your way around, and you know where you're supposed to take things in the long run because people asked.
>>
>>46192634
Run a pre-generated adventure first to get into the swing of things.

Learn the mechanics, learn the system, learn the ins-and-outs of the go-to monsters and NPC types. Get a feel for how a story should flow, and take steps to learn from it.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.