[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good set of rules to play WW2/Cold War RPGs in, /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: guard1.jpg (361 KB, 900x1068) Image search: [Google]
guard1.jpg
361 KB, 900x1068
What is a good set of rules to play WW2/Cold War RPGs in, /tg/? Combat being the most important aspect. Things like cover and suppression being represented would be cool as fuck.
Pic un/semi-related.
>>
GURPSNah, seriously, it's pretty good for gunplay
Sadly, most RPGs about that period are outdated or not very good, so you might want to look at another setting and apply a paint job.
Otherwise, Twilight 2000 for Cold War (and ww3) is pretty decent.

You prefer rule heavy or rule light, btw ?
If it's the latter, the recent ffg Edge of the Empire may interest you. But it has special dice, so you'll have to a)buy dice b)torrent the app or c)write on your dice.

Also, a homebrew from /tg/ :https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ops_and_Tactics.
Personally, I find it incredibely tedious, but it got its fans and it's homemade, so check it out.
>>
I think GURPS can handle it quite well. There's a couple books about WW2 and though they're for 3rd Edition and not 4th they're a starting point. High-Tech and Tactical Shooting if you want a lot of realism, or Gun-Fu and Action if you want something more cinematic.

If you prefer a system that isn't GURPS then Savage Worlds has Weird War II, which I've found to be a pretty good game as well.
>>
>>46186988
>You prefer rule heavy or rule light, btw ?
Either is fine, I'm not in a rush.
>>46187087
Well, I'm fine with GURPS, but it always felt like the brute force approach to RPG systems (i.e. simulate everything), which tends to make things a bit tedious. But it's workable.
>>
>>46187196
Only War maybe ? It's completely militaristic and got decent combat mechanics.
You just have to cross laser everytime it appears and write bolt-action instead.
>>
>>46186988
>>46187087
These these these these these.

GURPS does historical gunplay better than anything.

If you want to mix it up with another genre twist, it's not even cause for a pause - just drop some aliens in there.

Goddamn I love gurps.
>>
>>46187196
GURPS gives the OPTION to simulate everything.

Remember, GURPS is a toolbox. You use what you need to to make the game work, not everything it gives you.
>>
>>46185230
Trench warfare is actually kind of boring - it's 99% of the time mind-dumbing waiting while nothing is happening and 1% of the time desperate life or death struggle.

And there's massive difference between WW2 and Cold War - with one being open conflict and the other war of attrition political struggle.
>>
>>46188475
Where did you get trench warfare from? WW2 featured very little trench warfare and I don't recall major trench systems during the cold war.
>>
>>46188564
Korean war had large scale trench actions.
>>
>>46188564
Lenningrad?
>>
>>46188676
>>46188711
Trenches were used but I don't think it could really be classified as trench warfare. I might be wrong but as far as I know the field was a lot more fluid and the trenches were more like extended foxholes than large, deep trench systems.

With the exception of the soviets in Crimea and the Pusan Perimeter.
>>
>>46187196
>>46188370
I really wonder if GURPSophobia is something created by D&D's "all splat options should be available to the players" mindset.
>>
>>46188475
I've found for the right group trench warfare van be amazing. It gives a lot of good roleplay opportunity, with characters constantly on edge and exposed to stress and terror. Obviously you won't want to focus entirely on the day-to-day monotony of it, though. But having little adventures involving life in the trenches can be a lot of fun if you run it well and your players are into that sort of thing.
>>
>>46188943
Possibly? Even D&D originally meant for people to use whatever rules they liked and to discard what they didn't. I remember 2nd Edition was a lot like that, anyway.
>>
>>46188945
What sort of challenges did you throw at them? I'm curious to hear how it went.
>>
If you can get your hands on a rather old title named ABCD - AirBorne Commando Division, you'll be in for some rules-light fun times in the spirit of the WWII / Cold War.
>>
>>46189268
Shit like having to bring medical supplies and food up to the trenches. Clearing or setting up mines/wire, one time they had to go into No Man's Land to capture a downed enemy observation balloonist. Trench raids were common. Getting an ally who had been injured off the front lines was another scenario I used. The entire campaign wasn't about trench warfare though. It was set in a fictional world, and eventually the players got reassigned to be glider infantry, which involved a lot more intense combat.
>>
>>46185230
Either Godlike with the super powers removed or GURPS WW2 Light.
>>
File: Ballad 1.0.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ballad 1.0.pdf
1 B, 486x500
If you pop into Song of Swords general, there's a sister game being done, Call of the Void, which is an interbellum / WW2 game using the SoS system as a base. At this point the system is better than SoS itself, and is well suited to gun battles that are deadly and tacticool, while still being a fast, not-overly-crunchy ruleset.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.