[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you get a man who has a wish spell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1407779542246.jpg (174 KB, 341x640) Image search: [Google]
1407779542246.jpg
174 KB, 341x640
Beings of the multiverse, my name is Aelius. I am a 20th level wizard, and I have no purpose. What am I to do now that I have achieved immortality and the ability to have anything I desire with a snap of my fingers? I know of the blackest magicks, yet I have no desire to dive deeper into purposelessness by rendering my senses null through lichdom, let alone perform evil acts just because I can. Yet, I fear doing good for my planet for fear of them becoming irrelevant and dependent on me. What purpose does the blacksmith have when I can wave my hands and supply an army? What purpose does the farmer have when I click my heels and food is suddenly abundant at every table? What purpose does the mason have when I have when I can break wind and transform a wasteland into a metropolis? What happens when I’m gone? Not by age, but by force and violence. How could I raise an empire knowing without me it could fall? Do the gods feel this way? Is this their lot in life also to have infinite power and yet cannot touch their worlds with naught but the lightest of breaths, for fear of damaging what they love? Ah, perhaps the pursuit of godhood through epic/mythic powers is my path…… no. No I think not. It is only the same mountain, but bigger. Once I have reached that peak, I will only be higher up, asking myself these same questions. The next logical step might be death. But I do not wish to die either. I am too enamored with who I am and my power to seek eternal rest, for fear of missing something new coming along. Beings of the multiverse, what do I do next?
>>
>>46183150
You have reached the pinnacle which no mortal being was made for. Your mind, desiring as it is to overcome any barrier finds itself purposeless in a void of obstacles. There is only one escape, an ascendancy of the mind, of desire itself to a new plane. Transcend the shackles of this addiction to adversity and turn the greatest of magics upon your own psyche. The universe awaits you.
>>
>>46183150
Start leveling your second class.
>>
>>46183150
What system?
>>
>>46183150
Have you considered making a new world (or finding a barren one), seeding it with life, and seeing how said life goes about its business? Maybe give it a little nudge every now and then to help it on its way, if needed?
>>
>>46183150
You mess with adventurers, silly! Make great treasure hoards, guard them with traps and leave cryptic clues pointing to them! Watch the treasure-seekers try to pass your gauntlets, watch them use the wealth in ways you never thought of! Maybe, one day, one of them will elevate himself to your level.

Companions the Creator sought, not corpses, not herds and believers.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4TC1xMyZDI

To see the end of it, to witness the evolutionary cycle and you? You will be able to see it all.
>>
>>46183150
Have you considered cutting yourself off from the arcane for precisely engineered lengths of time, with contingencies of course, so you can experience all of those things you mentioned. Knowing what it really means to work metal. Plowing your own field and watching it grow. Building a home from an empty lot. Dare I say, raising a family? All those simple joys, and mortal hardships you have only observed, yet never experienced?
>>
>>46184778
But it shall be impossible for me to enjoy such things if I age to dust. The arcane power of wish keeps me ageless.
>>
>>46184978
Do not speak on my behalf eldritch trickster!

>>46184778
Although it does have a point. Would willingly cutting myself of from magic cause me to age? Was seeking this power a mistake?
>>
>>46184978
Hence contingencies. If you have so much power at your beckon call, surely you are creative enough to come up with reasonable methods to reactively restore your power to prevent your untimely, unwarrented, or unwanted demise.

Truely friend, your next journy is metaphysical, since you have so clearly bent the physical world to your whim. If you fear death, then exploring your mortality through experience is the next best choice.
>>
>>46183150
You're thinking in terms of fish, and not in terms of fishing.

Teach them.

Help them help themselves. Help them grow, to become self-sufficient AND improved.
>>
>>46183150
Why not just duplicate yourself? Do everything!
>>
>>46185229
I think what you mean is that he should leave out bait on poles and cook anyone stupid enough to bite it
>>
>>46185162
Indeed, perhaps it is time to walk as the non-mages do and perhaps train into Profession (Blacksmith) as my ancestors did. Perhaps the next challenge is for god to walk as man does.

>>46185229
A gentle teacher. Perhaps that I will do that next as well, once I've given a few decades to hand-forging weapons of beauty and power.
>>
You could, of course, use your limitless powers to modify yourself to be as endlessly challenged and enamoured of challenges as you could want. You could wish yourself to not feel sadness or existential dread, you could wish yourself a purpose. You could even, depending on your alignment, set yourself limitations and guidelines such that your future self does not descend into madness or evil.

The problem with unimaginable power is... it is unimaginable. We mortal humans with mortal limits can't look at the world from the perspective of someone greater than ourselves.

Exalted had this problem - when your character has godlike intelligence but you're still human - how do you make decisions for them that are true to the setting or their puissance?

Roll the dice and see if it all works out..
>>
>>46183150
Have you tried resetting your mind and body to those of a small child, and exploring roads not taken? It can be very enlightening to see how different you might be under different circumstances. Of course you'll want to back up your current memories first and keep some way to find them.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1080
>>46183150
You've become an all-powerful being.
Now is the time to learn what makes you truly happy, and why you sought power in the first place.
>Pic related
>>
>>46190185
Does wearing your mom's dress make you happy?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.