[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General: Giant Crawdad Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: crawdaddies.png (342 KB, 875x574) Image search: [Google]
crawdaddies.png
342 KB, 875x574
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

DMs of /5eg/, what cool monsters have you homebrewed?
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
Obligatory strahd when?

Also, has anyone here published content on the DMG? Curious if people actually make money from it
>>
>>46182069
anyone else think charm spells are kinda fuckin lame? no player likes getting mind controlled, and no dm likes suggestion abuse.
>>
>>46182106
I made a few things but the sales died off after the first month and a half. Also you can't withdraw money until 60 days after the transaction, which is kind of lame.

The only way to really make any reasonable amount of money is to either produce content nonstop or to have a preexisting following you can advertise to.
>>
>>46181450
Fighter 5
Warlock 3
Sorcerer 5
Paladin 3
Bard 4

You need Strength 13 and Charisma 13 to qualify for all those. Be a Variant Human or a Dragonborn (War Caster would be handy, but bonuses to Str and Cha would help for the multiclassing). Take Fighter 5, hit Battlemaster and get Extra Attack and an ASI (buff your Con, since you spent your points at CharGen on Str and Cha). Switch to Warlock 3, go Pact of the Blade, get Agonising Blast, Eldritch Spear and Devil's Sight. Switch to Sorcerer 5, take Draconic bloodline for essentially free mage armour, get metamagic and another ASI. Switch to Paladin 3, make up for your lower damage output compared with the rest of the party by turning all your unwanted slots and/or sorcery points into Smites, take the Oath of Divinity to get Sacred Weapon and add your Cha mod to your weapon attacks. Switch to Bard for more spell slots and another ASI, take College of Valor for an extra buff/debuff to help the party.

Congratulations, you're Level 20 and severely underperform in several dif
>>
File: 1294720065232.jpg (123 KB, 581x800) Image search: [Google]
1294720065232.jpg
123 KB, 581x800
Wanted to reply to the last OP but it 404d right before.
>How would you have your players become liches?

Becoming a lich is easy and can be done RAW with these 4 easy steps!
>Be wizard
>Cast clone on self
>Cast Drawmij's instant summons on all equipment
>Cast demiplane and store Clone+Drawmij's sapphires in the plane

If you die, you get reborn into the clone and can summon all of your equipment. Then just cast demiplane to get back out there! But wait, don't forget to cast clone again to maintain your immortality!

My current campaign is based on this concept.
The bbeg did this but his clone became sentient and began helping the PCs, except the PCs don't know this nor have they met the bbeg yet.
>>
>>46181918
Just make some legendary hero up, man.

>>46182113
They're pretty lame. Several spells exist that IMO would make for a "better" time if they didn't exist. Both narratively, and game mechanically (opinions!). I can't think of any at the moment but I just remember going "meh" reading them.
>>
>>46182094
warning: furries
>>
>>46182282
Is this some sort of bizarre nonsense meme?
>>
I'm going full bladelock. DM said he was gonna run a premade. Not sure which. We're starting at level one so my bet is DH. Since he has a boner for gothic horror.

I was thinking infernal pact or GOO pact for this bladelock. Making a deal with evil to hunt evil sort of deal. Any must grab spells/invocations for a bladelock?

For weapon I was thinking either sword and board or polearms. If that matters.
>>
>>46182506

Hex is mandatory. I'd also suggest Lightning Lure from SCAG as a cantrip,
>>
Wait so is the UA spell-less ranger trash or good
>>
>>46182506
>>46182531

Also, go dexlock rather than strength
>>
In OotA, where can the waifublade be found?
>>
>>46182506
Roleplay value aside, does Bladelock really give anything Eldritch Blast spam doesn't?
Like, I can get a Warlock/Monk multiclass, but pure bladelock just doesn't feel that strong.
>>
>>46182879
It's in a setpiece encounter whose location is dependent on when and where the DM wants to use it.
>>
>>46182911
You are correct, bladelock isn't a super-strong way to put together a character. As far as I'm concerned it's there for flavor. Put a hex on your foe, wade in with your magic weapon, disregard wenches.
>>
>>46182943
Thanks, was just curious. I've got a friend who's interested in building a bladelock.
>>
>>46182915
I'm the DM. I haven't read the whole book yet, I'm making my through it. What chapter/encounter?
>>
Not the bladelock guy here.

But what's so good about blasterlock?
>>
>>46183006
If you are talking about dawn bringer its in the tomb of Khaem. Chapter 2 set encounters.
>>
>>46183135
EB does 1d10 damage multiple times (through multiple attacks). There's an invocation that grants your charisma bonus to each 1d10 (so instead of 2d10 from a pewpew wizard fire bolt, it's 1d10+cha twice for a warlock). Add in the Hex spell granting 1d6 bonus damage, and you're looking at 1d10+1d6+cha on each bolt. At range.

Meanwhile the bladelock gets a double stat benefit to two weapon attacks. Which requires getting up close to your target. Which means you'll want a high constitution for hit points. Which means you're operating off of three main stats instead of just one. Which means your double stat benefit probably isn't so hot.

Bladelock is fine, it just isn't a compelling "I want to play it because it's so mechanically advantageous."
>>
>>46183135

Honestly, I'm not sure, blasterlock is a lot more versatile since you can have three cantrips from any class, but at level 5 the damage is better from the bladelock

2x 2d6+str from melee attacks or 2x 1d10+cha
>>
File: Purple_dragon.jpg (214 KB, 640x832) Image search: [Google]
Purple_dragon.jpg
214 KB, 640x832
>>46182069
I really want to recreate the purple dragon.
http://dragons.wikia.com/wiki/Purple_Dragon_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29
>>
>>46183324
You can also steal rituals from all classes, which is an incredibly potent power. Leomund's Tiny Hut is your safeguard against being killed in your sleep.
>>
>>46182106
So much shit on the DMsGuild is little better than DandDwiki junk... But the gems rise to the top. I've made about $130. But then again I keep updating and adding more and more. I've spent way way way too many hours into it.
>>
>>46183421
Whatcha got, anon?
>>
I made these guys to challenge a proper-high leveled party.

Honestly, I don't know what WotC was thinking when they designed the higher CR monsters. They're a fucking joke. So i made these guys:

REDACTED War Demon "Bukarayn"
HP: 400/400
AC: 23
Speed: 60 ft
Saves: Strength +14, Dex +10, Wis +8, others at +4
Damage Immunities: Poison, Magic
Damage Resistance: Fire, Lightning, Cold
Damage Vulnerabilities: Thundering
Senses: Darkvision 120 ft, Scent 60 ft

Immune to Magic: Completely and utterly immune to anything that is a spell or spell-like ability. Still takes normal damage from magic weapons, non-magical elemental effects, and so on. Not immune to psionics (too bad we're not using that, huh)

Actions:
Slam: 2x +15 to hit, 4d8+10 magical physical damage

REDACTED Ray Cannon: +15 to hit, 3d10+10 force/necrotic damage, range 120/300

Legendary Actions (2/turn):
Fling: Make a DC 23 Athletics or Acrobatics check. If you fail, get thrown 30 ft away from him and take 4d8+3d6+10 magical bludgeoning damage.

Takedown: Range 120 ft. Make a DC 23 Atheltics or Acrobatics check. If you fail, he leaps close to you, and smashes you into the ground, dealing 4d8+10+3d6 magical blugeoning damage.

Cannon Barrage (recharge 1d4+1): Range 300 ft, 10d10+20 force/necrotic damage in a 20-ft radius circle
>>
>>46183435
I made this Crafting document for consumable stuff.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171344/Recipe-Crafting-for-Consumables

Forewarning I am nearly finished on a massive editing update in the next couple days. (small things like consistency with "you" "player" "character" etc,)

If I ever make it to 250 sales I'm going to make some more bonus content stuff.
>>
>>46183600
Crafting. Nice.
I love crafting rules and honestly they tend to be the first thing I try to homebrew into systems. I was pretty surprised to see that 5e had any crafting rules at all, though they are a bit simplistic.
>>
>>46183656
Feel free to cannibalize whatever you want for your games. That is one really nice thing about DMsGuild is you can generate some great inspiration (even if the balance is off). 80% of the doc is recipes/stuff.
>>
>>46183557

Then there's this guy:

REDACTED Chaos Demon "Hila-Kila"
HP: 200
tHP: 20
AC: 22
Speed: 60ft
Saves: Str +8, Dex +10, Wish +14, others at +6
Damage Immunities: Psychic, Poison, Lightning
Damge Resistances: All of them, except Thundering
Damage Vulnerabilities: Thundering
Senses: Omniscient within 120 ft of itself

Psychic Aura: If you start your turn within 30 ft of it, make a Wisdom save vs a DC of 22. On a fail, you are Blinded and take 2d8 psychic. Otherwise, just take 2d8 psychic. If you end your turn within 30 ft of it, make a Wisdom save vs a DC of 22. On a fail, you are Restrained and take 2d8 psychic.

Psychic Blast: +15 to hit, 4d8+12 damage, and the target now has disadvantage on all attack rolls

Charming Illusions: One target makes a DC 22 Int save. On a fail, Charmed, on a pass, 2d8+6 psychic damage

Legendary Actions (3/turn):

Psychic Lash: +15 to hit, 3d8+12 psychic damage, target now has disadvantage on Wis saves

Misdirection: Can be used at the start of another player's initiative. Player makes an Int 22 saving throw. On a fail, the target makes the attack as normal, but will affect a random other target in the vicinity.

Psychic Scream: Everyone within 30 ft of it take 4d8+12 psychic and make a DC 22 Wisdom save. On a fail, Stunned.
>>
>>46182113
I'll tell you one thing: cursed objects that turn a character evil are no fucking fun.

Short on plot? Want the next three sessions to be about subduing a slippery monk? Want every single magical item in your adventure to undergo an unnecessary fifteen IRL minute "attunement test?" Want to make it so one player doesn't get to play this week?

I'm in a game where THREE PEOPLE have all gone evil thanks go cursed items. It ground that game to a halt.
>>
>>46183759

REDACTED Environment Demon "Haliyah King"
HP: 150
AC: 30
Speed: 60ft
Saves: none
Damge Immunities: Special
Damge Vulnerabilities: Special
Senses: 120 ft darkvision, true sight 30ft

Immunities: It's immune to all sources of damage that are not from the environment. He automatically takes no damage from weapons, spells, no status effects. However, using the environment that he's in (oil barrels, energy generators, spikes, spinning gears) can be used to damage him by positioning.

Attacks:

Slam: +15, 3d8+6

Phyrexian Ray Cannon: +15 to hit, 3d10+10 force/necrotic damage, range 120/300

Lair Actions: On initiative 20, disables one of the methods of damage: 1d6 - 1 = oil barrels, 2 = energy generators, 3 = spikes, 4 = spinning gears, 5 = regenerate 30 HP, 6 = take double damage from environmental effects

Legendary Actions:

Haven't thought up of any. Probably ray cannon blasts.
>>
>>46183759

There's also going to be a guy who moves people around and cannot have his movement impeded, and relies on his mooks to kill stuff.

And the end boss is going to have all of their abilities, as well as manipulating time - because at high levels you need monsters just as broken as the PCs.
>>
>>46183179
Cheers
>>
>>46183861
Look up the Beholder Mage if your PCs are going full munchkin.
>>
>>46183557
That's just going to piss off any casters you have and make them really bored
>>
>>46183341
damn, those are cool as hell
>>
>>46183600
this is so great
>>
>>46182805
Not sure; about to play an ambuscade variant in an upcoming game but from the looks of things I'm a lil worried on their ability to rack up damage without spells (read: Hunters Mark) or the extra volley/collossus-slayer/etc stuff of core.
>>
>>46183861
Try a Marilith Paladin 14/Champion 3/Assassin 3 with Magic Initiate for Hex or Hunter's Mark. At-will DPR of 159 and 184 with Hex/HM, but with a first-turn damage of 610 damage over 14 attacks. Sacrifice more reliable crits for more Smites and even higher damage on the first turn by switching the Champion 3 for Sorcerer or Bard.
>>
almost 200 character sheet downloads on dmsguild, and only 2 ratings. I didn't expect many to rate, but 1%? thats a bit harsh.
>>
Any DM's out there have a good NPC tracking sheet? Googling isn't turning up good results.
>>
File: image.png (394 KB, 1220x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.png
394 KB, 1220x1080
Could anyone post the Lich/Vampire rituals in CoS?
>>
>>46182138
Better off going Tomelock and taking Book of Ancient Secrets to find rituals. Sorcerer 5 / Bard 4 / Paladin 3 gives you fifth level slots, but only third level spells. Make up for some of the deficit by stealing some rituals.

Or just use your 4th and 5th level slots exclusively for Smiting, whatever.
>>
>>46185728
charsheet anon here. I don't use any type of sheet for my games, so I don't really know what makes a good one, but if you can work out what sort of things you want on one, I can maybe put something together.
>>
>>46183557
>>46183759
>>46183791
> Redacted
This is so stupid.
>>
>>46186652

Ok, ponder it a bit and post later. I know that there is a real difference between minions and major npcs, so it might be two separate sheets. For now, I've been just using character sheets for majors and 3X5's for minions.
>>
>>46182138
What is ASI?
>>
>>46182094
Woolie, please
>>
>>46186826
ability score improvement
>>
Okay, so I'm about to play 5e, and D&D in general, for the first time. I'm playing a Tiefling Rogue (Thief at 3)

My question to y'all, is how can I be King DIck of the Rogues? I want to fuck with my party in fun ways
>>
File: five-room-dungeons.png (35 KB, 521x534) Image search: [Google]
five-room-dungeons.png
35 KB, 521x534
What methodology/system do you use to prepare adventures and campaigns?

e.g. 5x5 adventure design, Dungeon World's fronts, the Lazy Dungeon Master's Guide, etc.
>>
>>46186897

Don't be so much of a dickass thief that you steal valuable things from the other players or other bullshit in this vein. It's a quick and easy way to become that guy.

If you want to play pranks I'd highly recommend arcane trickster. Otherwise, utilize items well, I suppose.
>>
>>46186930

Improvise.

>>46186897

Don't be that guy.
>>
>>46186897

You're playing a game with friends, and everyone deserves to enjoy themselves just as much as you. RPGs are collaborative fun, so consider how "I steal all of the party's gold!" might not be enjoyable for everyone else.
>>
File: tyrone offers advice.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tyrone offers advice.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>46186897
Hi there!

You seem to be making a bit of a mistake in playing an RPG. Luckily, the users of /tg/ are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to be acting like That Guy, despite the game in question being focused on team cooperation. Whoops! You should always remember to play a character that will work with your party instead of against them, unless the campaign you are playing in is explicitly focused on PvP. Going against the party when it isn't agreed upon by everyone is poor form. You wouldn't be a dick to your fellow players, so your character shouldn't, either!

Now, there's no need to thank me--I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to tabletop RPG culture.
>>
>>46186958
>>46186968
>>46186973
>>46187037

No, no, I seem to have misspoken, I don't want to be that guy, I just want to fuck with them a bit. Nothing to actually cripple us, I just want to spice things up but in such a way so that I won't be THAT GUY
>>
>>46187074

I suggest Arcane Trickster, in all honestly. Just use your magic cantrips to mess with them. They get access to a lot of great ones, including an invisible mage hand.
>>
>>46187074
If you were taking important things, it would actually be meaningful in the sense that it would screw the party.

If you're just being annoying, you're being That Guy. Don't set out with a character concept of "annoy my friends", that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>46186897
The best way to do this would be to use your Tiefling racial spells, particularly Thaumaturgy.

If the party is in a boring spot, say around a campfire and nothing is happening, consider using the instantaneous sounds, light manipulation, and harmless tremors by passing notes or texting your DM, so that the other players aren't necessarily aware of what you're doing. Remember that phone use at the table is to be kept to a minimum, but texting is useful for private conversation.

Additionally, you could have an aversion toward being touched by others, and jokingly "cast" hellish rebuke when they pat you on the back. This is a limited-use gag, though, so use it wisely.
>>
>>46186930
Create a couple of adventuresome sites and a couple plot hooks to maybe point the player characters at them. Wing it while actually creating the individual sites. As the sites get explored/exhausted/given-up-on by the players, generate a couple more, so there are always two or three available. Let the meta-plot take care of itself.
>>
>>46187074
"Fucking with them a bit" makes you That Guy. People don't play D&D because they want to be fucked with. It's cooperative game. You are a team. While some groups can handle some inter-party conflict and laugh it off, you are far more likely to just be an arsehole who ruins the game for everyone. Considering it's your first time playing, you should just play it safe and not try anything that might backfire as badly as "fucking with people" is likely to do.
>>
>>46186930
They're really Apocalypse World's fronts. and they would be my go to technique. Totally avoids railroading, but also avoids the complete lack of story that can result from pure sandbox.
>>
What if you used Remove Curse on a Fomorian as a way to bargain with one? Would it have any effect?
>>
>>46187074
Don't do this to your party. Pick out NPCs to fuck with in downtime, like a penny-pinching merchant or snooty noble.
>>
Wow you guys throw that guy around too easily. The occasional prank on the party is not being That Guy.
>>
>>46187445
>>46187199
>>46187249
>>46187135
>>46187037

Alright, I'll give it up. You've all made fair points. I'll channel that towards fucking with the Drow since I just found out we're doing OotA

Thanks, /tg/
>>
>>46186930
Lazy DM is great advice and what I use. Just using sly flourish's blog in general.
>>
>>46185795
Seconding this. I want to become a lich.
>>
>>46187540
Someone asking how they can fuck with their party and be King Dick of the Rogues doesn't sound like harmless pranks to me. Especially when they're new to the game. It's way too easy to think you're just having a some fun when in reality you're being a complete arsehole. Better not to risk it.
>>
>>46187540
Maybe not, but a new player can easily mess it up and become that guy.
Pranking the party is a risky art, and you should only do it if you know everyone well and are sure they won't take it the wrong way.
>>
Splitting the party: when is it appropriate, when is it preferable, and when is it unacceptable?

Relatively new to D&D here, and I'm noticing a very different mindset between the average D&D player and someone who's into a less combat-focused system.
>>
>>46186897
> Rogue
> wants to fuck with party
> Tiefling
> First-time
Go fuck yourself. You're already That Guy.
>>
>>46187811
You shouldn't be splitting the party of your own volition as a player. You should try your hardest to remain close to one another unless you're on downtime and chilling in town.
>>
>>46187822
What's wrong with picking a tiefling?
Not baiting, but genuinely curious.
>>
So. As a GM. What the fuck kind of information do I give a druid based on what he can find written in druidic? List of the local wildlife? Where to find snacks? What
>>
>>46187822
Yeah yeah, I get it, I took all that into account and decided against it.

Also,
>Tiefling

For the record, I'm playing a male and chose one because they look cool. Made me think a bit of Illidan Stormrage and he was cool in Warcraft III
>>
>>46187877
Intruding threats, wildlife, food + water, and anything you'd read in a newspaper about the wilderness.
>>
>>46187877
>What the fuck kind of information do I give a druid based on what he can find written in druidic?
You tell him what the druidic text reads?

I don't understand your question at all, man.
>>
Hey guys, advice?

>be first time DM
>have friendly wizard NPC who likes party because they killed midboss
>entire party assumes wizard has ulterior motives and keeps trying to foil his good-doing

I don't want to just take away the wizard or prove them right by having him zap someone, but what do?
>>
Warlocks out there, you might like this:
http://imgur.com/a/GzF0Z
>roleplaying traits for each invocation
>>
>>46187888
Just dont fuck with the party man. Sure you have fun, but fucking no one else does. Fuck with people for the party. Go for the NPC's. The DM doesn't have feelings anyway.
>>
>>46187943
Let them, if they lose an ally because they're too paranoid that's entirely their fault
>>
>>46187943
Just have him act as he normally would.
>>
>>46187935

Apologies what I mean is, what kind of information can you glean from marks on a tree. what kind of warnings or pertinent information would druids want other druids to know but not necessarily the general public
>>
>>46187977
>The DM doesn't have feelings anyway
The truth hurts
>>
>>46187943
have him DO something that reinforces his trustworthiness rather than just talk about it.
>>
>>46188022
Local wildlife, sacred groves, Druidic sects etc
>>
>>46187848
My second session as a GM (in Edge of the Empire, not D&D) ended up with the party split three ways. One group was busy getting kidnapped by an Inquisitor in a black cloak who a party member knew was such and chose to stay silent, another was divided between someone betraying the party and someone trying to persuade him to stop, and the guy who knew the Inquisitor and just sat in a third area drinking.
>>
>>46188022
>but not necessarily the general public
You don't seem to understand.

ONLY Druids can know Druidic. No one else. The information could be anything a Druid wanted to leave behind for other Druid. Anything at all.

>what kind of information can you glean from marks on a tree
Druidic is a full on language, anon. Speak it, write it, that sort of thing. Not just scratches on a tree.
>>
>>46188033
>>46187943

Setup a scenario that one of the party would certainly die without the wizard's intervention. Do that 2 or 3 times if it doesnt sink in
>>
>>46188068
Sounds like a bad time.
>>
File: druidic.gif (95 KB, 595x650) Image search: [Google]
druidic.gif
95 KB, 595x650
>>46188022
pic related
>>
>>46187977
Honestly, the DM wants me to act on those things since my flaw was "When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it." But I've more or less decided that I will not be a dickhead and channel all my immaturity into helping the Drow backstab each other faster
>>
>>46188076
It's knowable through magic from non-Druids, but other than that you're right.
>>
>>46188076

I'm aware only druids can speak read and write druidic, but surely the entire point of having a secret language is to keep information from people who cannot speak/read it
>>
>>46188104
This is ideal, thanks!
>>
>>46188160
Depends on how you, as a DM, fluff it. The book only states that it's a secret language that is only taught to Druids. In my mind, all that means is that there's probably a Druidic information network throughout the world with messages left near towns or warrens giving warnings or advice.
>>
>>46188113
Yes. Fuck over entire races. Not the people who have your back. Good hustle
>>
>>46188294
Let's be honest, they have it coming

You saw how they were dressed
>>
>>46188355
Dirty Drow scumbags. I style them like Chav's/ gypsies in my games. Subtly trying to suggest to the party some cheeky genocide wouldnt be the worst thing in the world
>>
>>46188440
Well considering they've enslaved us in the OotA campaign we're starting, I'm not gonna be too keen on letting them live comfortably. Can't do outright genocide though, I have some ethics
>>
File: 1207263359488.jpg (14 KB, 414x310) Image search: [Google]
1207263359488.jpg
14 KB, 414x310
>>46188495
>ethics
>in D&D
>>
>>46188102
It turned out alright. After the traitor teamed up with another Inquisitor, his companion returned to find his allies. He found the Jedi that hadn't spoken up before and they managed to rescue the two who were kidnapped (and almost killed my Inquisitor with a sneak attack!) before taking back the starship. For their trouble, they lost the Plot Hook of Doom and they haven't seen it since.
>>
>>46187852
Some people get really triggered if you play anything that isn't bog standard tolkien fantasy races such as humans dorfs, elves, and halflings. And even then, halflings might be going too far. Especially if it's like a tiefling or dragonborn.
Too 'exotic', or something.
>>
>>46188512
To be fair, I rolled Neutral Good
>>
>>46188743
I like them because they're "exotic."

I also want to sex their women, but that's beside the point
>>
>>46187852
On its own, nothing. You'll notice it's listed after the primary issues.

>>46188743
Nice projection, though.
>>
Im in my first 5e game playing a cleric i plan of multiclassing into a wizard/cleric hybrid. Any reccomendations on what spells to take or feats to get?
>>
>>46187943
I think I'm in your group.

Either way it's likely your fault for presenting the wizard NPC how you did. Come up with something different.
>>
Sup /tg/, got a present for you.
All of the EN5IDER files here:
https://mega.nz/#F!WlEHQTYL!-eCRx5QvXi3S0-KimTvsDA
They're essentially professionally created homebrew and advice on DMing and playing.

>>46189114
First off, I'd recommend against multiclassing your first game, as it's rather complex. That said, it depends on what you want to go, what specializations you want to take, and generally how you want to build. Can you give me more information?
>>
>>46189025
literally what would I be projecting? I have no problem with any of those races, and I've seen people complain about the exotic races for being in the PHB and for people playing them in this very general.
>>
>>46189114
Are you really sure that's wise for your first game? Have you taken a look at the Arcana domain for Clerics from SCAG? They combine the cleric chassis with cross-overs into wizard built in.
>>
>>46185795
>>46187694
I think whoever told you that it was there was lying. I can't find it in the book.
>>
>>46189203
Nice, thanks anon. I've never even heard of this stuff.
>>
>>46189416
Link if you want to support the creators (up to you, obviously):
https://www.patreon.com/ensider?ty=c
>>
>>46189416
Reposting another group of resources:

>Frog God
https://mega.nz/#F!7IoTjBib!Kb-rLv2KYNEq2pNtVd8jMg
>Not Really Complete Tome of Spells
https://mega.nz/#!SNIRVaqR!OJHfKAweP-ShaJCPHQLlQ4OUBnJV_PTlbaLngbZdwu8

Non-5e-stuff:
>Bunch of 3.0/3.5 3rd party hard-to-find shit
https://kat.cr/dungeons-and-dragons-3rd-party-d20-3-0-3-5-collection-t7926259.html
>Every single Dungeon & every Dragon magazine, including some cool 5e stuff like a Tomb of Horrors conversion (Dungeon 213)
https://kat.cr/dungeon-magazine-001-221-and-dragon-magazine-001-430-t9377217.html
>>
My Adventurer's League DM's gonna be out of town next week and I wanted to run one of the encounter modules for the rest of the players at the table.
I haven't been able to play any of the encounter modules myself and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good 5-10 encounter from Elemental Evil or the Underdark seasons that has a magic item any class would find useful?
I'm trying to stick to the shorter modules as I think we'll only have 2-3 hours to complete it versus the suggested 4.
>>
>>46189470
>>Frog God

You legend, I've been looking for these.
>>
>>46189523
No problem.
I'm still looking for:

The Lost Lands: Adventures in the Borderland Provinces
The Lost Lands: Borderland Provinces
>>
>>46187971
Thanks for this, anon. I'm gearing up to play a roguelock illusionist, and this should come in handy for roleplay.
>>
>>46189579
I guess reddit can accomplish good things after all. At least the /tg/-related parts.[/spoiler
>>
>>46189639
Content is content. Content is not its creators.
>>
>>46186806

Because at least 3 of my players browse /tg/ and I don't want them to figure it out.

At the same time, the thread is larger now, so the odds of them figuring it out are lesser.

It stands for Phyrexian.
>>
>>46189757
Those are some deep words of wisdom, anon.
>>
File: KF Zeds.jpg (2 MB, 1982x1085) Image search: [Google]
KF Zeds.jpg
2 MB, 1982x1085
>>46182069
>DMs of /5eg/, what cool monsters have you homebrewed?

I made the Killing Floor zeds. Recently ran a floor of 4 waves of them in my roguelike megadungeon. They wiped on the last wave but all agreed it was possible. Probably close to 100 total zeds, 1 scrake and 1 FP on the last wave, with 6 long rested PCs. I also went to the trouble of extracting and uploading like 4 or 5 minutes of their ingame sounds for use on Roll20, so you hear the husk launcher when he shoots, and the annoying siren cries until you put her out of her misery.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L7nhjVTYqxvD1M9EifRX2s2R_bKJl7x_9t8LxFHhtto/edit?usp=sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kTnIid1uKM

Open to feedback. Changes made after session include reducing husk damage (3d10->3d6) and removing mechanic for DoT from bloat vomit.
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/712434382288465921

So, what classic adventures do you want to see updated to 5e?
>>
>>46189382
Seconded. Does not exist.
>>
>>46189523
I particularly recommend Fifth Edition Foes, it's pretty much the 5e Fiend Folio.
>>
>>46189885

Dragonlance
>>
>>46189885
We already have Tomb of Horrors, so aside from a version of that using the latest rules, I'd love to see Expedition to Firestorm Peaks.
>>
>>46189972
Not a setting. An adventure. Red Hand of Doom, Keep on the Borderlands, etc.
>>
So I haven't played D&D since 3e but a friend has invited me to his 5e game. I have some questions.
-Is there anything really broken in 5e?
-Are martial classes still buttfucked?
-What are some of its interesting mechanics?
>>
>>46189985

That is what I meant. The whole "Dragons of <stuff>" modules that started it all.
>>
>>46183324
My party needs "a ranged attacker and a secondary healer"

If I go bard with ranged cantrips, are there major downsides I'm not seeing compared with say warlock? I'd be secondary damage and building for utility
>>
>>46190019
Simulacrum+Wish

Not particularly, unless casters are using certain kinds of cheese.

Concentration is what prevents martial classes being "buttfucked" as it puts a limit on many powerful spells.
>>
>>46182159
That's pretty neat. But is that clone really you? You wouldn't know who killed you or really anything that happened since you summoned it unless you had a telepathic link of some kind.
>>
>>46190019
advantage and disadvantage
>>
>>46190019
1. Yes. Contagion, smartly played wizards, Minor Illusion, Mirror Image, Monks of the Long Death, and Hex, to name a few.
2. No, unless you're playing with wizard/bard munchkins.
3. Concentration was a huge nerf to spellcasters, and advantage/disadvantage massively simplify 5e.
>>
>>46190053
Warlocks get 1d10+Cha where Bards would get 1dX. Significant decrease in DPR in exchange for a massive increase in versatility.
>>
>>46190053
Warlocks get spells on a short rest, you get them on a long one. But they also can't heal.
>>
>>46190019
>-Is there anything really broken in 5e?
Not outside of 17th-level and beyond full casters.

>-Are martial classes still buttfucked?
In-combat they're important and they are capable outside of combat. Casters still have the upper-hand in versatility in and out of combat but not game-breakingly so.

>-What are some of its interesting mechanics?
Concentration, advantage/disadvantage.

>>46190090
>Contagion
>broken
Read Sage Advice.

>Hex
>broken
1d6 damage per hit, taking up your concentration slot, is not broken.

Are you high?
>>
>>46190137
They nerfed contagion? Great, checking that out.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Hex on monks.
>>
>>46190162
Don't smoke and chan, m8.
>>
>>46190162
Still not broken. Powerful, but not broken. Sorcerer/Warlock gets better use out of Hex anyway.
>>
>>46190162
Just found it. Apparently it's not an official nerf.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/06/contagion/
Also not high, just tired and sick.

>>46190196
Alright, if you say so. I confess I'm not experienced in martial classes and their balance, only spellcasting.
>>
>>46190225
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/13/contagion-effects/

It's not a nerf, just a clarification on how it is in the first place, which apparently most people understand anyway.
>>
I'm playing as a light domain cleric in 5e CoS. My party just hit level 6. What are some absolute must have spells?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>46190120
>>46190103
Cool. Thinking of grabbing Hex as a daily, to give me Some burst potential, maybe ray of frost to have more control elements, and maybe the ritual magic feat to place alarms at choke points and get unseen servant to drop caltrops In weird places

I really like the idea of a semi-trained wizard.
>>
>>46190277
Some guides you might want to check out:
http://dictummortuum.droppages.com/5e/cleric
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468644-GUIDE-Celestial-Link-Evoking-Radiance-Into-Creation-CLERIC-guide
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468835-GUIDE-For-God-and-Party-A-Cleric-s-guide
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374604-The-Devout-and-the-Dead-a-guide-to-Clerics

Generally:
>Revivify is amazing if your party is retarded
>Animate Dead is great if you have time to prepare. Hidden uses for zombies include grappling and help action--easy advantage
>Mass Healing Word is very good for in-combat healing
>>
>>46189382
I told him and I'm not lying. They are located
In the Amber temple and are dark gifts. The vampire and Lich are multi-stepped.
>>
>>46190429
You're right. Weird that they'd have it so not obvious. I'll take pictures and upload the whole chapter, any suggestions on where to do that?
>>
>>46190498
Mega, always.
>>
>>46190498
mega.nz although I think you'll need an account.
uploadmb.com doesn't require an account, 100mb cap though.
>>
>>46190498
SCAN... PLEASE..........
>>
>>46189228
> the only possible reason he could have a problem with tieflings is that he's a crusty old grognard who hates anything nonstandard.
That, maybe.
>>
>>46190524
Can't scan, but I'll take pictures of whatever, I took pictures of two chapters last thread.
>>
>>46190562
not projection and not what I said either.
>>
>GM wants to translate an old 3.5 game into 5e
>its the one where you were playing a completely focused on inspire courage bard with unpronounceable PrCs that allowed you to do stuff than can't be done in 5e
Literally impossible to replicate, why GMs must do this?
>>
>>46190521
Create a temp account on mega with fakemailgenerator. I make a new one with every upload batch.
>>
>>46190585
We don't want to have our precious worlds destroyed.
>>
>>46190580
>> Some people get really triggered if you play anything that isn't bog standard tolkien fantasy races such as humans dorfs, elves, and halflings. And even then, halflings might be going too far. Especially if it's like a tiefling or dragonborn.
Too 'exotic', or something.
> That's not what I said.
Ok.
>>
File: BroomOfAttack.png (272 KB, 454x272) Image search: [Google]
BroomOfAttack.png
272 KB, 454x272
Death House spoilers for Curse of Strahd

Played our second session of Death House today. 4 players, I'm the GM. The fighter had just died to a Specter in the previous session. When we started the characters were on the top floor (not the attic) of the building, mourning the loss of their only martial character.

Pretty much first thing to happen at the start of the session is, the halfling rogue decides to open the closet, sees the broom and gets the bright idea to ride it like a witch.
The animated broom of attack comes alive and misses its first attack. The rogue takes a chunk out of it. The rest of the party proceeds to miss every attack on the broom. The broom then bashes the rogue into unconsciousness, then bashes the human warlock before going after the gnome wizard who retreats into the master bedroom, closing the door behind him.

The broom bashes down the door in two attacks (I may have ruled incorrectly on this but determined the door to have 12hp).
Pic relevant.

The gnome shits himself. The party laughs because everyone is about to die to a murderous broom.

Gnome wizard hits the broom with a fire bolt, does 9 damage. Dead on enough to kill the broom.

Some good death saves and some WIS(Medicine) checks later everyone is stabilized.

Conclusion, Death House is fun.
>>
File: vampirelich.jpg (1 MB, 1005x2000) Image search: [Google]
vampirelich.jpg
1 MB, 1005x2000
Vampire and Lich Rituals! Major Curse of Strahd Spoiler...
>>
>>46190569
As long as it's readable, whatever works would be great. Much appreciated, I have some players who are going to become villains soon and I'd love to have mechanics for this, give them some time to play around in their God body before being handed over and rerolling.
>>
>>46190646
anon we both know you just dislike tieflings for being exotic and different. it's ok to admit that.
>>
>>46190677
>only wizards can become liches
There go my dreams of bard, sorceror, and warlock liches.
>>
>>46190677
How are those flaws "flaws"?
>>
>>46190713
Wizard spells. Bards can. Your dreams of a musical Lich continues.
>>
>>46190677
Anyone have suggestions on crafting components or additional things for the phylactery and potion? Or should it just be in terms of GP?

Secondly, the vampire schtick is definitely super cool. Should they have to be bitten by a vampire first in a non-CoS setting? Or some other method?
>>
>>46190735
:D
>>
>>46190585
Could be worse, could be a monk/psy war with tashalatorra
>>
>>46190743
You'd become a Vampire spawn if bitten, killed, and buried. Not a vampire. Said vampire would have to die or let you drink their blood.
This is the ritual Strahd preformed on himself. You are actually making a deal with the Dark Powers.
>>
Wait a minute...
Sorcerers and Warlocks also share 9th-level spells with wizards!
Cthulhu lich when?
>>
>>46190677
>don't allow evil PCs

Fug.

Oh, but the PCs won't be level 17 or have a loved one on hand in CoS anyway. So... what's the point?
>>
>>46190709
NOW it's projecting.
>>
>>46190849
no you see I have no problem with tieflings so I'm not projecting anything
>>
>>46190848
There are alot of other dark gifts. Some turn good characters evil and there are other sections in the book that can alignment. And yes. You can't get a Lich before you fight Strahd but you can after if you stay in Barovia.
>>
>>46187037
You're my hero.
>>
>>46190675
My DM is dead-set against using the milestone system for this module.
Needless to say, I died to the ghouls in the basement.
>>
>>46190677
What do East and North do?
>>
File: lich.png (176 KB, 828x1076) Image search: [Google]
lich.png
176 KB, 828x1076
>>46190743
>Anyone have suggestions on crafting components or additional things for the phylactery and potion? Or should it just be in terms of GP?

Here, from AD&D.

See also "Van Richten's Guide to the Lich" from 2e. I don't know if it covers creating liches specifically, but you can probably find some ideas there.
>>
Here's the full chapter with the rituals for Lich and Vampire.
https://mega.nz/#F!DB9jSZ4b!xydYJ6AJQQ_BARE2MJpluQ
>>
>>46191001
Which room? There are 21 dark gifts!
>>
>>46190677
>under DM's control
What's the point?
>>
>>46191138
[Spoiler] the sarcophagi[/Spoiler]
>>
>>46191136
Thanks!
>>
>>46191196
Its also up to the DM to allow Evil characters in a game. It depends on the DM and how they want the game to work.
>>
>>46191119
See also Libris Mortis from 3.5 (details quite a bit on liches), Heroes of Horror (level 20 dread necromancers become liches), and Sandstorm (level 10 Walker of the Waste becomes a dry lich).
And these are harder to find, but Secret College of Necromancy and Necromancy: Beyond the Grave are both interesting.
>>
>>46191201
>>46191001
North is not listed, here's East.
The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Zhudun, the Corpse Star. Zhudun's gift is the power to raise the ancient dead. As an action, the beneficiary of this dark gift can touch the remains of a dead creature and restore it to life. The effect is identical to the resurrection spell, except that it works regardless of how long the creature has been dead. After it has been used once, the dark gift vanishes.
The beneficiary of this dark gift takes on a corpselike appearance and is easily mistake for an undead.
>>
>>46190964
Man that's kinda shitty. Assuming you were still lvl 1 then? After almost dying to the broom my players got down to the basement and we ended there as they leveled up.
>>
>>46190277
Revivify, healing word, and fireball
>>
>>46191335
Those last two should be found in the 3rd link here:
>>46189470
>>
>>46190964
You should have been at least lvl 2 by the time you got to the basement.
>>
Can more than one player receive the same dark gift? It doesn't seem to state it anywhere.
>>
>>46191467
I believe so
>>
>>46191467
Apparently not East, however. Would assume that by extension the others can be taken multiple times.
>>
>>46191519
Yeah, that's why I am asking. Zhudun's gift seems pretty ridic
>>
>>46191368
We took an illegal long rest after the encounter and leveled (surprise, 4 ghouls gave five level 1 characters enough exp to level), as the only person who died, I was a little salty.
On the plus side, I got a pretty cool dark gift though I have been touched by the darkness, sure that'll matter later on or in an epic.

>>46191383
4 person party, we did every encounter possible pre-basement, ended the session right before going down and got 112xp each.
>>
If you've got a free feat, is it worth grabbing Magic Initiate for Hex on a monk?
>>
>>46191568
Your DM's a fucking idiot. You should have been lvl 2 the moment you entered the basement.
>>
>>46191601
Probably. 1d6 bonus on every hit hurts.
When it comes to cantrips, what do you guys recommend? Minor Illusion seems very strong, as does Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>46191603
While I agree, considering the Death House module states on the 3rd goddamn page you should use the milestone system for this module, my DM thinks only inexperienced DMs should use the milestone system and you can't call your DM a fucking idiot without negative repercussions.
Instead, I'm min/maxing the everloving fuck out of my character, gonna break every encounter I can.
>>
>>46191568
Oh well, you definetly had enough reason to be salty because the book literally says you should be level 2 as you go down the stairs.

I was wondering what the policy on long rests was. So far my players have spent about 6 hours collectively in the house, but I don't think any of them really feel like sleeping in it and I'm not sure if I should let them if they try.
>>
File: 2016-03-22_18-53-33.png (83 KB, 413x181) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-22_18-53-33.png
83 KB, 413x181
Starting my new campaign tomorrow. It'll be the first time I've DMd on Roll20. I've been spending the afternoon making NPC portraits.

Right now it's looking like it'll be a solo player or maybe 2 at most.
>>
>>46191664
Guidance is pretty nice. Paranoid about the chest? Guidance. Negotiating a hostage release? Guidance. Want to grapple an enemy to drag him somewhere? Guidance. Wizard having trouble jumping the chasm? Etc.
>>
>>46191711
While completely true, it's not on the warlock spell list.
>>46191601
And actually, I might consider one level in Warlock instead so you can cast hex every short rest.
>>
>>46191679
1 long rest per 24 hour period is what the player's handbook says.
My party took one before going down then right after the Ghoul encounter, not that I needed it.
Thanks dark powers for all the HP and spell slots back, though!
>>
>>46191676
Try again to have a reasonable discussion with him about it, and about how the book is designed with the milestone system in mind. He can't be that dense.
>>
>playing Grappler Eldritch Knight (or more of a normal Eldritch Knight and I happen to find myself using Grapple a lot)
>Notice the Create Bonfire cantrip
>Consider making myself a Brawler knight who stangleholds niggas into a bonfire and holds them there
Would this be a good idea? I've never even heard of someone doing this which leads me to believe there's a reason for it.
>>
>>46191738
Ah okay cool so there's no specific rules about Death House preventing long rests or anything. I'm probably gonna mess with the characters if they decide to take one though :)
>>
>>46191676
>>46191749
Also, tell him that the adventure is balanced around the milestone system, and if he isn't going to use it, he should at least re balance the encounters with that.
>>
Ok, I keep hearing that Pathfinder has more interesting options than 5e, but I really don't see how. I suppose it is a little better about throwing weapons in that fighters are not great at throwing things without DM aide, but universally I build more interesting characters in 5e than Pathfinder.
>>
>>46191753
Create Bonfire is indeed a very good spell for grapplers.
You might be interested in this:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-%282-0%29-Grappling-in-5th-Edition
>>
>>46191753
I mean, it's themaically pretty rad, but a bit heavy on the action usage.

I forget if you can use your attack-after-cantrip ability to grapple.
>>
>>46191749
>>46191794
Tried throughout the night.
>Can't believe the milestone system made it into the game
>DMs online are up in arms about this
>statements say only inexperienced DMs should use it
DM was entirely unreasonable about it, even despite every other DM running that night using it.

>>46191780
Nothing against it aside from the limit per day (if you wanna obey that), my DM made us roll saves VS possession from ghosts as it IS a haunted house, dunno if there are rules for that or not in the module.
>>
>>46191818
You could if your attack allows a grapple after a hit.
>>
>>46191701
Good luck! Make sure you're careful about how many enemies your players go up against. Small parties get shafted by the action economy of 5e. A fight can go from being a cakewalk to unwinnable in one round.
>>
>>46191818
Well "grapple" is technically an attack IIRC so I don't see why not.
>>
>>46191852
Indeed it is.
One of these days I'm going grapple wizard and taking it to at least 17.
>>
>>46191818
From what I remember a grapple is a special attack action and the way I've ruled it with my group (Where one player climbs on top of larger creatures a lot) is that you can forego one of your attacks in order to grapple.
>>
File: the transmuter's last touch.jpg (58 KB, 386x499) Image search: [Google]
the transmuter's last touch.jpg
58 KB, 386x499
>>46191851
Yeah small parties are a bitch sometimes. I tried to convert and rebalanace The Transmuter's Last Touch to 5e for a 2 member party (Wizard+Cleric). It ended in blood and failure.
>>
What do you guys think of my Grasslands Random Encounter Table for Lost Mines of Phandelver?
>>
>>46191736
Cleric might be a better pick for magic initiate. Hex and EB are nice, but I wonder if Bless for +1d4 to each attack wouldn't work out to more damage in each encounter, especially when you alone are dropping several attacks. Probably better to leave it to the cleric if you got one though.
>>
>>46191962
Not bad, but I'd like to have something more to work with than just a list of enemies. Having the enemies doing something could be nice. Gnolls eating the corpse of a trader, goblins squabbling over loot, etc. A verb to go with the noun.
>>
>>46191962
I've got to say, I love the d8+d12 thing. 1% chance of Venomfang is interesting.
>>46192014
Seconding this, however. I'd recommend ~20% of them not automatically be hostile.
>>
>>46191711
"Don't mess up, Sneaky McTrapdisarm."
"Don't let the fact that we have no leverage affect your arguments!"
"Odin, please don't let him escape my hug."
"Come, Lady Dumped-Strength, you can make the jump!"

Guidance: The Power of Words
>>
>>46192408
Motivational speaker monk! Kung fu Tony Robins!
>>
>>46185795
It's a dark gift granted from the Amber temple. It's not as cool as it sounds because the dm gets control of your character
>>
>>46192841
The different characters I have built would have very different reactions.
NG Swashbuckler: Will it help me get revenge?
LN Sun Soul Monk: Will it get me more booze?
CN Lore Bard: Will it get me more women?
NE Storm Sorcerer: Will it help me protect the springs of Eldath?
NG Werebear, Long Death Monk: That sounds like a fun change of pace!
NG Wereraven Artificer: That sounds like a fun experiment!

In-character, I don't think any of them would really have an issue ;)
>>
>>46192925
your character would sacrifice their soul for more booze?
>>
So I made a talky character in an effort to try and talk my party out of encounters rather than fight. But I'm afraid that doing this will deprive us of xp and loot. Will the DM generally ward xp and loot for solving an encounter nonviolently?
>>
Party is starting Curse of Strahd. Thinking about playing a barbarian wearboar... that stays in boar form. Be the party's pig mascot. Sweet raging charges and infecting others.

Thoughts? How could be this awesome? How might this suck?

(The party is open to evil aligned characters. I'd have to be NE to change at will.)
>>
>>46193046
Beyond that a Sun Soul monk turning into an evil undead creature strikes me as amusing. Literally an archetype based around radiant purifying light, born from their life energy.

Made even more amusing when they do it for simple alcohol.
>>
Anybody got any good art of a dwarf sans beard? Preferably Rogue-ish and leather armors?
>>
>>46190019
>Is there anything really broken in 5e?
I'd say the skills system in 5E is the most broken. Characters can do nearly anything with advantage, and specialized characters can do it nearly every time, but if you beef up the DC a few points it might be nearly impossible.
I wish they had more ranks, maybe have used a similar system to the dice scaling system like from Savage worlds.

>Are martial classes still buttfucked?
Martial classes are amazing in 5E.
Fighters in particular are the damage kings and scale very well with magic items and support, a buffed Half-orc Champ with a Flametounge comes to mind. Battlemaster does better at lower levels, but doesn't scale as well. Even the quarter caster path is damn good.
Barbarians are the most tanky class in the game and deal nearly as much damage as a Fighter during earlier levels. Most full-time martial characters dip for Rage, it's that good.
Rogues in general are really useful and can deal serious burst to break any caster's concentration, they also nerfed the crap outta spells that crowed out rogues before like Knock. Thief path is hands down the best path for full Rogues, but you gotta be resourceful, know how both magic and mundane items work; the path also has THE best capstone feature in the game. Assassins are a noob traps in most campaigns; Arcane Tricksters are shit-tier since they don't have quite casting or sneak attack damage on spells.

>What are some of its interesting mechanics?
Advantage system, concentration, magic items in general, power curve/bound-accuracy and the action economy.
>>
>>46193074
>making dumb gimmick shit for a campaign that goes to at least 10th level
Why do people do this? Come up with an actually interesting character you'll enjoy playing and roleplaying for more than two sessions.
>>
What sort of bullshit havey you come up with as the difference between High Elves and Wood Elves. Also why are High Elves considered the default sort of elf?
>>
>>46193053
I'd say it depends on how hard you try. Consider the two examples of avoiding combat:

1) You sneak past some sleeping coyotes.

2) You create a distraction to lure away some enemy guards. You dash into the unguarded treasure room and replace the treasure with an expertly crafted fake. On your way out, the guards return, so you cast invisibility and escape.

I'd reward a fair bit of XP in the 2nd example but none for the first.

Really, it depends on the DM. I had an experience where a player would try to talk out of EVERYTHING. They would cast Speak with Animals and Tongues to try to talk EVERYTHING out of combat. In the end, I started filling the dungeons with nothing but monstrosities just so he's stop. As long as you don't try to eliminate all the combat, you probably won't annoy your DM & they'll give you decent enough rewards proportional to your time and effort investment.
>>
>>46193127

>I'd say the skills system in 5E is the most broken. Characters can do nearly anything with advantage, and specialized characters can do it nearly every time, but if you beef up the DC a few points it might be nearly impossible.

In my games, AC going from 17-18 and then 18-19 when proficiency goes up seems to double the toughness of an enemy. Likewise, there are tons of saves and skills in the 12-14 range and suddenly an enemy with +6 stealth or perception is invisible or omniscient.
>>
>>46193133
Almost every party member has a gimmick. We just roll with it. (budum-tish)

He could be interesting. I don't have a backstory now, but I could make one. I made a werebear last time (stayed in hybrid form). He became the most popular character in the group.
>>
>>46193140
The wood elves in my homebrew campaign (since no one is playing a wood elf) have antlers and grow moss and vines in their hair.
>>
>>46193140
Say what?
I imagine High Elves to be more fancy civilized elves with grand towers and whatever, and wood elves are a bit more "feral"/naturey, with ...less grand structures. Like the difference between a Wizard + his tower and a Druid with just hsi cave.

Why is a High Elf the "default"? Because that's what the tolkien elves are closest to, probably.
>>
File: bruh.jpg (20 KB, 436x446) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
20 KB, 436x446
>>46193188
You're doing the same "gimmick-idea" twice? Bruh

How are you managing to stay in that form constantly anyways?
>>
>>46189203
FUCK, I WAS LOOKING FOR THESE, I HEARD THEY HAD SOME COOL SPOOKY CLASS OPTIONS

THANKS
>>
>>46193230
By keeping the were's alignment. Bear was neutral. Wereboar would be NE.

I like making characters from the monster manual. Right now I'm a homebrew half-ogre.
>>
>>46193214
I don't recall Tolkien elves being magical as fuck, just individuals.

Wood Elves are more a mundane sort of elf, a "down to earth" sort of elf.
>>
>>46193276
I was more referring to the architecture and culture, there. Out of the Elf types, I imagine High Elf to be the closest match, no?

Beyond that elven magic seems to bend more towards an enchantment bend in the way of artifacts, from what I know (which isn't much). Googling is giving me some stuff about "seen" and "unseen" things. I dunno shit here.
>>
>>46193140
Basically no distinction between wood elves and high elves other than culture.

The "True Elves" are the ageless ones, and there are only about 30 of them. They are grown from trees, and a new one can't be born until one dies.
>>
>>46193636
That would make an interesting campaign imo.

One of the great trees the True Elves hail from is growing a new Elf, but all 30 of the True Elves are still living.
>>
>>46193636
So did something fuck the True Elves to bring the other kinds of elves?
>>
>>46193698
The first true elf and the first true dwarf gave birth to the mortal races
>>
>>46193759
Are there only 30 True Dwarves born from huge ass mountains?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.