[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5e Monks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: PZO9009-Monk.jpg (123 KB, 1036x1500) Image search: [Google]
PZO9009-Monk.jpg
123 KB, 1036x1500
So it's widely agreed that not having enough ki points is a major issue with the Monk in 5e, to the point where the biggest fix for the class (other than increasing UaC damage dice by one step) is just adding more Ki points. This works, but I personally find it to be an inelegant solution. So how about this alternative: The ki points stay the same, but they become how many points the Monk gets per encounter, instead. A short rest allows the Monk to restore them, representing putting his mind and body back into balance so the ki can properly flow again. Using more ki points than your max ki point total x 2 a day, however, forces a Wisdom save that, if failed, makes the Monk Exhausted as he pushes his mind and body too far. The DC would of course increase by 2 for every ki point over this total used.

The exact math can be tweaked, this is basically just a rough draft. Personally I like how it works like this, though, since it forces the monk to push their limits, but doesn't force them to either blow their load all at once or spend the day being useless because they're scared to spend ki-points.
>>
>>46182042
Regenerate ki on crits with martial arts.
>>
>>46182042
It does seem silly to me that a monk runs out of their internal reservoir of magical trained kung fu bullshit and have to take a long rest to replenish it.

Perhaps add a mechanic where the number of times they can replenish after a short rest is limited based on class level, though. So eventually they do have to take a long rest.
>>
>>46182073
Crits aren't reliable enough to fix the issue. That seems better as a Feat, or a Way of Shadow feature.

>>46182087
That's sorta what I'm doing here, except the limit is a modifier on their maximum ki-points, not level. The monk can short rest as many times as they like to get those ki points back, but the more he USES them, the more he puts his mind in disorder from ki-abuse and threatens to throw the precious balance that he depends on out of whack. It's thematic and seems fairly solid in crunch, too.
>>
Why not put this in 5eg? More 5e people will see it
Also, Monks get their points back on a Short Rest already.

How is making tests and exhaustion and tracking *2/day more elegant than saying "You have the amount of points on the table, +3" or whatever?
>>
>>46182042
I like the core concept, but it's getting close to overcomplicating the monk in a game that is still fresh and relatively simple.
>>
>>46182254
AFAIK, they DON'T get points back on a short rest, the whole issue is that their ki points are so limited it makes them useless. If you could stand still for five minutes and get all of them back outside of a fight, they really don't NEED more ki-points.

As for the other question, because it's more thematic. It makes ki points seem less like MP and more like the mind weakening as it pushes itself harder.

>>46182311
True. I guess it doesn't need to be so complicated.
>>
>>46182087
From seeing the thumbnail I thought that was David Duchovny.

Shame.
>>
File: pg 78 PHB.png (28 KB, 412x94) Image search: [Google]
pg 78 PHB.png
28 KB, 412x94
>>46182327
5e short rest is an hour by default.
>>
File: anonpls.jpg (83 KB, 640x888) Image search: [Google]
anonpls.jpg
83 KB, 640x888
>>46182413
>>
>>46182042
Imo wotc has to work on monk from scratch, firt there's the MAD issue, second there's the Im literally useless without ki issue, then theres the everybody synergyzes well with feats like GWM, Sharpshooter and cantrips like GFB and BB but me, then lately there's the damage issue.
>>
>>46182042
Do you know what inelegant means? Because adding a few more ki points is an elegant solution, and that mess of a fix you suggested is anything but.
>>
>>46182413
>Duchovny
>Ovny it's Spanish for UFO
>>
Why fix something that doesn't belong to an European fantasy setting like D&D in the first place?
>>
>>46185102
Same reason wizards in D&D are nothing like anything portrayed in traditional European fantasy.
>>
>>46185102
Because D&D forced it into being in the first place. It doesn't fit traditional European fantasy but it fits D&D.
>>
>>46185102
Here we go again
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.