[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dnd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
What gifts do gold dragons particularly favor?
>>
>>46176818
My dick.
>>
The rescue and release of slaves.

A garden which feeds the hungry.

Safe havens for those in need or danger.

Shelter for the homeless and hungry.

A library which teaches those who desire to learn.

Seeing a trend here?
>>
Silver coins.
>>
>>46176818
Gems maybe?
>>
>>46176818
The heads of slain Red Dragons.
>>
>>46176889
I get that the metal ones are friendly for some reason, but there's something pathetic about the idea of a busybody do-gooder dragon who's on the board of every local human charity.

Even if they want to be your friend, dragons lust mainly for food and treasure and aren't likely to be interested in stories of what an upstanding person you are. And desu I'd avoid gifts of food as well, since it might be taken as an insult implying that they can't hunt for themselves.

But you can't go wrong with treasure! Except chests of gold and silver is crass. Holy relics and the regalia of legendary heroes are probably the way to go here. Be sure to emphasise how unique and irreplaceable whatever you're offering is, and have its bearer's storied deeds ready to and.
>>
>>46177273

>I get that the metal ones are friendly for some reason, but there's something pathetic about the idea of a busybody do-gooder dragon who's on the board of every local human charity.

Oh no. It will be the most magnificent garden ever! The Hanging Gardens of Babylon!

It will be a Library beyond compare! Ones that would inspire envy in sages across the world!

And he will offer them to all who want to prove his own personal wonder. A purity of heart and soul that none can deny and all will praise!
>>
>>46176818
hot girl tity

This applies to all dragons.
>>
>>46176818
A bitchin camero!
>>
File: peter-singer.png (479 KB, 1012x544) Image search: [Google]
peter-singer.png
479 KB, 1012x544
>>46176889
This kind of shit is why good dragons were a mistake. Gold dragons should be able to recognize that their hoarding instinct is evil, that they get disproportionately little utility from their disproportionately great material needs, and the most good thing they could do is kill themselves.

And don't tell me that they can do more good on the whole by continuing to survive, because no, they can't. The question of utility comes up again. With the food and wealth required to sustain one dragon, you could sustain a small army of good humanoid adventurers of greater combined power and greater involvement in the world, and they'd be ready for action a lot more quickly, too. The startup costs, startup time, and running costs of a metallic dragon are manifestly not worth their power to do good.
>>
>>46177353
I've never met an alignment chart that gave a shit about any of that.
>>
>>46176818
Your obedience.
>>
>>46177374
Good is defined by concern for others. Characters who don't question how they could do the greatest good for others are not especially good; they're either indifferently neutral or using good deeds to mask their evil natures. Killing yourself because it makes economic sense for the world as a whole would be one of the acts of self-sacrifice that epitomize good.
>>
>>46177353
>making multiple assumptions
Execpt the usual argument is that since they are full casters, they can make infinite wealth and have infinite wishes so none of that matters. A gold dragon literally has full access to sorer/wizard list and full access to clerical spell list, so they can have create food and water and never have to worry about feeding themselves on the local livestock anyways.
>>
>>46177353
Dragons can literally eat rocks. There is an Elemental Plane of Earth with an infinite sum of metal, gems and rocks. By their eldest stages it is feasible for them to gain access to the EPoE through contracts with wizards and the like. A well-intentioned dragon doesn't have to worry about causing food shortages, and could likely replace the donated gold artwork it receives with the equivalent in base resources in order to keep the economy of the realm stable.
>>
>>46177353
Just because some dragons like doing good doesn't mean they are obliged to do the maximum possible good they can achieve.

Alignment is not a rigid code; it's a flexible label.
>>
>>46177434
If that's what we're assuming, compare a dragon to a human full caster, or even a whole college of them. Clearly the dragon does less good as a whole because of the extremely long time it took to reach self-sufficiency and all the resources it consumed during that time.
>>
>>46176818
bump
>>
>>46176889
Don't forget the ''Orc refugee camps''.
>>
>>46177547
The dragon's parents likely provided them with meal and sustenance via magic alongside the education to do good.

So no, they didn't consume resources enmasse, just magically generated food.

Dumbass. It's magic.
>>
>>46176818
sex toys
>>
>>46177415
>self-sacrifice
>literally implying suicide is good
wow
lead by example anon
>>
>>46177415
This began as a mildly interesting thread.

Then this faggot came along.
>>
>>46176818
Jewels, knowledge, artistry, IIRC.
>>
>>46177353
>a gnomish paladin has embarked on a crusade of genocide against all sentient beings larger than a dwarf, on the grounds that if all cultivated land was given over to supporting small demihumans then at least twice as much good would be experienced in the same area.

wat do? His logic is impermeable and you cannot assail his premises, because all the gods came together to announce that pure utilitarian thinking is the foundation of all morality, which also means killing him would be an objectively Evil act.
>>
>>46179502
In fairness killing yourself to advance a noble cause is about the greatest thing a man can do. Gandhi AND bin Laden can't be wrong!
>>
>>46180650
It'd be more like four times as much good.

Still, there are worse things than not being objectively good. Those who are evil or at least neutral would oppose him without caring about whether he's right in the cosmic sense, just because it would have bad consequences for them and their loved ones if he succeeded. Something like this would probably lead a lot of "good" people to realize how they're fundamentally neutral at heart, and how they're okay with that.
>>
>>46179468
If they're really that self-sustaining and devoid of external needs throughout their entire life cycle, then it's humans who need to kill themselves because it no longer makes sense for the world's ecology to be put under the strain of a human population.
>>
>>46180650
So basically, The Operative from Serenity?
>>
>>46180650
Well twice as much evil could also be done so the good to evil ratio over time stays the same but in the killing off all those people there is definitively a spike in evil from all the murder. There for his actions are a net evil and must be stopped.
>>
>>46176818
Got a blow job from a gold dragon once.
>>
>>46181655
Correct
>>
>>46181655
The plan just needs an adjustment. The people you don't genocide are the ones with a tendency toward good alignments. That would yield a long-term net gain of good in exchange for an up-front investment of evil.
>>
>>46176818
The pleasure of being cummed inside
>>
>>46181655
If the gnome was correct, the people that resisted or hid themselves would be evil, and only the good humans/elves/(insert race here) would give themselves up to be killed.
Thus, only Evil people would survive an initial purge, tilting the Good/Evil ratio towards the races to be purged Evil and encouraging Neutral to-be-purged to turn Evil.
You would basically be developing an evil subrace of every target race with a variant array of alignment.
>>46181747
This guy has it closer, but the goal of most D&D armies and martial societies (like Paladin orders and combat-oriented monasteries) is to eliminate Evil creatures in the first place anyways.
The gnome would be better off funding a Paladin order to remove evil where it exists.
>>
>>46181747
This would lead to religions converting legions of evil followers and using arcane accounting magic to make them look like good groups, leading to massive up-front profits in exchange for ensuring a massive theological crash in a few cycles time.
>>
File: ATQdOCj.jpg (31 KB, 691x167) Image search: [Google]
ATQdOCj.jpg
31 KB, 691x167
>>46176826
For future reference
>>
>>46181950
Now there's a REAL reason to fear the IRS.
>"Sir, my name is Hadrian deGrey. I'm a paladin of the kingdom's Righteous Accounting Group, and I'd like to speak to you about your Good tax return."
>>
>>46181912
I don't think ANY race no matter how 'good' would volunteer to be wiped out. I mean you can add all the details you want including the gods them selves saying it's the right thing to do, it would just be crap writing and no one would really bother reading playing it.
>>
>>46183536
Just because something is technically true or right doesn't mean everyone is willing to accept it.
Regardless, I agree with you- there are better ways to create (meaningful) conflict in a setting.
>>
>>46181950
Okay, here's what you do:

You fund all these remote missionaries and parish churches who make high-risk loans of goodness to evil-inclined creatures, and it creates a goodness bubble. But before the moral borrowers can default on their goodness loans, you take that goodness debt, package it together into goodness-based securities, and sell it at a markup to larger centralized temples. That way you get yours before they realize that their AAA-rated alignments are sitting on top of toxic moral assets.
>>
>>46177353
>great material needs
Most metallic dragons don't have material needs as great as chromatic dragons. Brass dragons (I think it's brass) feed off dew droplets, and nothing more.
>>
File: tumblr_nxk019CwuI1rbw3uvo5_1280.jpg (163 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxk019CwuI1rbw3uvo5_1280.jpg
163 KB, 1200x900
Probably an oath of fealty

Evil dragons tend to have a bunch of worshippers as well as a pile of gold, so why would good ones be much different? Not to mention the practical value in having sworn servants to aid a dragon in their long-term plans, both in that a human can get shit done less conspicuously than a dragon and that it means said dragon can delegate smaller tasks to his willing underlings to let him focus on large-picture stuff.

A pledge of loyalty is a gift that's both flattering and practical.
>>
>>46176818
The dragonomicon mentions they particularly like pearls.

>>46176826
So give them a pearl necklace.
>>
>>46187566
or better: anon's dick surrounded by pearl
>>
>>46187981
Anon's dick isn't very endowed is he?...
>>
Stupid arguments about utilitarianism aside (seriously, there's a reason that fell into disfavor, trying to assign utility a scalar value is retarded,) I do like the idea of a dragon that sees its instinctive nature as evil.

You could even have that be an entire religion focused on keeping those instincts in check. They could have some kind of code where they do not allow their net worth to increase past a certain point to avoid activating their hoarding instinct, and maybe a mandatory confession-like ritual where you discuss your flaws with your peers to manage pride.

Maybe at some point they'd disguise as a mortal and live for sixty or so years, to better get a perspective on the suffering of other races as well as their own failings.

Shit could be cash.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.