[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chess thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: virgo_chess_sets_white_l_1500.jpg (144 KB, 1500x918) Image search: [Google]
virgo_chess_sets_white_l_1500.jpg
144 KB, 1500x918
Does anyone else feel that chess is just beyond them? I do well in mathematics (Engineering Senior) and science, but I can't read into what the opponent is doing? I've read many primers and methods, but I just cannot play with proficiency. I played my chess app on the lowest difficulty for a month, 10 times daily, and when I raised it from the intro level to a 750 ELO, I have been getting fucked daily for two months.

I thrive in Tetris and Blackjack, what's fucking me up here? Does Asperger's mess my game up?
>>
stop playing against computers
the strong ones are too strong, the weak ones are just retarded and will play perfectly for a few moves and then just randomly make a mistake

get comfortable with opening principles and practice some basic tactics and you should see a marked improvement in no time

at it's core chess is still a game of attacking and capturing material
kids understand this intuitively and that's why they can play so well so soon, they love nothing more than making threats and munching up pawns and pieces

like anything you have to master the basics before you start layering strategy and more advanced concepts
>>
>>46169085
i was just like you for awhile, then it just kinda clicked with me. I'm not great, but I'm around the 1300 ELO range.
I can give you some pointers if you want, Chess is always easier to learn if you have someone helping person to person
>>
I'd like to think I'm decent at Chess but I'm probably not.

My mind is just too weak to be able to predict people's moves in advance. I've read good players can think several moves ahead. What does that mean anyway? That they calculate for almost every move the other person will make for up to, say, 7 turns? If so I'm too stupid for that.
>>
>>46169569
Chess is one of those games where if you don't know exactly how good you are then you're not good
>>
>>46169569
>That they calculate for almost every move the other person will make for up to, say, 7 turns?

That's what computers do. Humans have to use experience and intuition to be more selective about which branches they calculate. No point in calculating a move if it just drops a piece for example.
>>
>>46169085
>when i raised it from the intro level to a 750 ELO
ha i think i know what app you're using, is it Chess Free?
Computers suck to play against, either they play perfect or blunder constantly, really no inbetween
>>
>>46169085
Whet your skills not with a computer, but on online chess for a while. For beginners, try one opening you like, just one - when you have more than 50% win ratio using just that opening, try another. Remember where your kill zones are, and where the enemy's kill zone is. Remember to pin and fork and predict where the enemy will go.
>>
>>46169592
I know. I admit that I'm not that good. I've read into the game a bit but I've long forgotten most of it.

Still I think Chess is interesting. Nice to see a thread on it.
>>
File: bart simpson.jpg (30 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
bart simpson.jpg
30 KB, 600x600
>>46169671
>kill zones
>>
>>46169656
Yeah, Chess Free.

>>46169671
What are some good online services?
>>
>>46170806
chess.com, lichess.org

loads of learning resources on youtube
such as https://www.youtube.com/user/STLChessClub/videos
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.