[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eclipse Phase General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 99
File: 1457912621244.jpg (579 KB, 1920x1112) Image search: [Google]
1457912621244.jpg
579 KB, 1920x1112
OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone Stalkers
http://www.mediafire.com/view/d0hpgo776xpx50p/Eclipse_Phase_Zone_Stalkers.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_%286098716%29.pdf
>Million Year Echo
http://www.mediafire.com/view/f53f1c5yq777tpk/Million_Year_Echo.pdf
>Firewall (Updated):
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9jg6q9d9kqa59qu/Eclipse_Phase_Firewall_(7029562).pdf
>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf

PLAY AIDS:
>10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet

HOMEBREW AND COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Various Eclipse Phase fanmade resources, and links to more
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>Community homebrew document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit
>A metric shit ton of additional guns/ammo/weapon mods
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf

Changed out the link for Farcast to the PDF version since the original blog is down

In honor of the newly released FATE conversion, tell me about your character, /epg/. If you're feeling adventurous you can even post their questionnaire
>>
File: Fallout.gif (310 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
Fallout.gif
310 KB, 350x262
>>46167376
Old Thread >>46129929
>>
File: ComEx.jpg (2 MB, 1949x1104) Image search: [Google]
ComEx.jpg
2 MB, 1949x1104
>>46167376
>>
>>46167457
What is the aerodynamic fuselage for?
>>
>>46167500
Optimal anal insertion.
>>
>>46167530
>the Venusian who names your ass after an earthlike planet so he can refer to sodomy as 'atmospheric insertion'
>>
>>46167376
>http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
This link isn't working for me, for some reason.
>>
>>46167867
There are six other planets and one moon in the system with appreciable atmosphere. Why an earth-like planet?
>>
>>46167867
>>46167995
Really you can just change it to 'oribtal insertion' and the gag works for any planetary body
>>
>>46167959
Get gud
>>
>>46167959
Working for me on three separate browsers and 4 OSes
>>
>>46167959
I don't know what to tell you, it's working fine on my end

It might be your ISP pulling some DNS hijacking.
>>
>>46160491
PIRACY STIFLES INNOVATION

THAT'S WHAT THE ANARCHISTS WANT
>>
>>46168490
Because no one ever needs custom solutions for anything!
>>
>>46168490
Information should be free, you capitalist pigdog.
>>
>>46168490
>Sponsored Post
>>
File: SLOTV 1.jpg (108 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
SLOTV 1.jpg
108 KB, 1000x600
>>46167376
>>
File: SLOTV 2.jpg (268 KB, 1500x1060) Image search: [Google]
SLOTV 2.jpg
268 KB, 1500x1060
>>46169232
>>
File: LLOTV 1.jpg (298 KB, 574x1000) Image search: [Google]
LLOTV 1.jpg
298 KB, 574x1000
>>46169549
>>
>>46170010
What is this vessel for?
>>
File: LLOTV 3.jpg (302 KB, 1280x1009) Image search: [Google]
LLOTV 3.jpg
302 KB, 1280x1009
>>46170086

SPAAACE
>>
File: Destroyer 1.jpg (210 KB, 1600x866) Image search: [Google]
Destroyer 1.jpg
210 KB, 1600x866
>>
>>46170922
Where are all the missiles?
>>
File: IndirectFire.png (3 MB, 804x2206) Image search: [Google]
IndirectFire.png
3 MB, 804x2206
>>46171340

Eh, they're in there somewhere
>>
File: Collision.png (942 KB, 1194x738) Image search: [Google]
Collision.png
942 KB, 1194x738
>>
File: Exoplanet 4.png (899 KB, 1024x622) Image search: [Google]
Exoplanet 4.png
899 KB, 1024x622
>>
File: Mimas_Cassini.jpg (943 KB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
Mimas_Cassini.jpg
943 KB, 1800x1800
>>46172695
>>
File: high fasion.jpg (136 KB, 666x942) Image search: [Google]
high fasion.jpg
136 KB, 666x942
High fashion furies for cheap as free. Auto-Bot has your hookups
>>
File: Titan_in_natural_color_Cassini.jpg (29 KB, 589x589) Image search: [Google]
Titan_in_natural_color_Cassini.jpg
29 KB, 589x589
>>46173219
>>
What are the better jobs you could get right from cold storage, assuming you had the skills for them that were still applicable?
>>
>>46174338
Engineering, genehacking, computer stuff, research, product design
>>
>>46174338
Depends on whether you have surviving connections or useful skills. Assuming you don't have a surplus of either, construction is probably one of the 'okay' jobs you can get - habitat construction above and on the surface of Mars is still a big deal.
>>
File: 4489596-0620689408-26842.jpg (299 KB, 1536x1920) Image search: [Google]
4489596-0620689408-26842.jpg
299 KB, 1536x1920
How would people like Isaac Clarke get by in Eclipse Phase? Isn't learning about engineering useless in this setting when you can just throw nanobots or robots at things to construct/repair/maintain them, or just download the required skills in your brain, or just have AIs do it?

That's the general feeling I got reading Panopticon. Maintenance on habitats and building stuff are largely automated, unless you're a brain-dead bioconservative or a poor piece of shit and aren't using nanomachines and robots for everything.

Next line of thinking: aren't robots and nanomachines what killed off 90% of transhumanity? Why the fuck are people still using them in vast quantities?
>>
>>46177762
Engineers in Eclipse Phase would be managers. They tell the robots what to do and fix them when they break.
Also, Seed AI and World War 3 were what killed 90% of transhumanity. Robots and nanomachines were just their tools. The transhuman diaspora that remains requires robots to make and maintain living space now that the Earth is nigh - uninhabitable.
>>
File: Dead_Space_3_Jens_Holdener_05b.jpg (237 KB, 1200x644) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Space_3_Jens_Holdener_05b.jpg
237 KB, 1200x644
>>46177826

Right, but I'd think the horrific images in images and media would stick with people's collective memories. A nanoswarm eating an entire city, or robots cutting off people's heads aren't going to be forgotten easily.

I dunno, I just like my sci-fi dirty, a la the Alien films or Firefly, not the sleek and shiny of Star Trek. Seems like a pretty cool setting though. I might just end up modifying my version of EP where people are generally slightly more wary of using robots and nanomachines for industrial or habitat construction and maintenance. Maybe have had one of the Hamilton Cylinders get hijacked by a gestalt exsurgent mind and had to be destroyed by a healthy dose of antimatter.
>>
>>46177826
Engineers will also do design work, make decisions about maintenance plans, oversee production, and many other things.
>>
>>46178022
The thing you should consider is that most people don't see all the robots and nanoswarms. A huge part of it is invisible or (if you work at the right place) only partially visible. Thus, people would not realize how much their life is only supported by those.
>>
>>46177762
>Isn't learning about engineering useless in this setting when you can just throw nanobots or robots at things to construct/repair/maintain them, or just download the required skills in your brain, or just have AIs do it?

First, skillsofts only get you up to a rating of 40, which is equivalent to a basic entry-level certification. ALIs are also limited to a rating of 40 for active skills (which includes hardware). Skillsofts do not make you really good at something. One thing expert systems are excellent for is knowledge skills. Need to know the properties of obscure varieties of steel on the fly? Use an expert system.

Now you're probably thinking "Sure, but if the bots and nanosystems can just fix it back to how it was, what are you there for?" Here are a few scenarios where having an engineering around will be a good idea.

-Systems frequently need to be upgraded in ways that aren't so common that someone has already done your thinking for you
-You're using something for a task that isn't really its intended purpose, because it's the closest you've got. It performs poorly, or keeps breaking (resulting in downtime). It sure would be nice if someone had some ideas on how to modify the system or maintenance plan to improve performance.
-Recognizing sabotage
-Figuring out when sensors are malfunctioning
-Need to reduce productivity losses while part of your system is down

I'm coming up with even more examples than I was expecting, so I'll stop here.

Point is, you need sapient experts in there somewhere.
>>
File: automata.jpg (110 KB, 400x414) Image search: [Google]
automata.jpg
110 KB, 400x414
which art synth would you spend a month in?
>>
>>46179111
Is there a list of art synths somewhere or are we supposed to make shit up?
>>
>>46179176
I suppose I was referring to pic related, but if you have some other body in mind.
>>
>>46179111
A Galatea.
>>
>>46178591

ALI also explicitly can't default, and their aptitudes tend to be weaker than a Transhuman's on average for pure aptitude rolls. They are also not capable of what a human might think of as "improvising". If it's outside their base of knowledge, it's basically beyond their capability. And trying to force them sounds like a good way for them to go crazy.
>>
File: Mimic.png (1020 KB, 1190x424) Image search: [Google]
Mimic.png
1020 KB, 1190x424
>>
File: Prosperity Group.jpg (195 KB, 700x830) Image search: [Google]
Prosperity Group.jpg
195 KB, 700x830
>>
File: PC plans.jpg (174 KB, 1920x912) Image search: [Google]
PC plans.jpg
174 KB, 1920x912
>>
>>46182564
Wouldn't those robots have terrible seakeeping which would prevent them from using such long arms effectively?
>>
File: Man of Iron.jpg (198 KB, 842x1047) Image search: [Google]
Man of Iron.jpg
198 KB, 842x1047
>>46180647
Artless whore! You lack
A E S T H E T I C
>>
File: Arachnoid.jpg (157 KB, 1165x1000) Image search: [Google]
Arachnoid.jpg
157 KB, 1165x1000
>>
File: Balani.png (1 MB, 1192x770) Image search: [Google]
Balani.png
1 MB, 1192x770
>>46183263
>>
File: image.png (196 KB, 325x497) Image search: [Google]
image.png
196 KB, 325x497
Are people legally responsible for their fork's actions? If an alpha fork commits a heinous crime and is destroyed in the process can you really be held accountable considering it's an independently thinking being with its own agency.
>>
>>46183735
Highly dependent on who is doing the law enforcement, and regardless barring some extreme circumstances the uninvolved fork will be seen as more likely to commit crimes in the future.
>>
>>46183735

Depends on the polity. In many inner system locales, Forks aren't people, they're property. Forking and attempting to diverge from the alpha will get you deleted, or possibly charged with some sort of identity crime. So if if a Fork or an Alpha commits a crime, the alpha would be stuck holding the bag, and other forks are inconsequential, unless you can probably make a legal defense that it's a rogue fork - in which case that guy gets a delete on sight order.

In the outer system, and maybe in Morningstar, a fork is it's own legally distinct individual. Assuming that the forces of law and justice can distinguish the two, all punishment for any wrong-doing would fall on the fork that actually committed it.
>>
>>46183735
>Are people legally responsible for their fork's actions?
In the Inner System? Absolutely. Elsewhere, depends on if forks are counted as their own full people
>>
>>46183735
Yes. Consider what would happen if you hadn't forked, but instead committed the crime, committed suicide, and then been restored from a backup (before the crime). Technically, 'you' are just an alpha, but you're still responsible for the crime in question.
>>
>>46183977

Actually, that raises a lot of interesting questions. In theory of crime, there's a lot of talk about guilty act and guilty mind - both are important to the aspects of a crime but guilty mind is much harder to prove than that someone committing a guilty act.

However, if somebody commits a crime with a relatively distant backup and isn't recovered with a stack, that makes it harder to "prove" either applied to the current instance of that person. The court would have to try and link both to a person who is now out of date. Can you say for sure the you of six months ago or a year ago had the same mind as the person who committed that crime? Did they take any actions toward it? Without the actual instance of the person who did it, is there enough evidence to prove it actually was that person who now no-longer remembers the event?

Assuming you have a relatively fair and power-balanced court system that would make some cases very interesting. Historically I don't think we have a habit of punishing "dead" people, so precedent would need to be set. Doesn't mean there can't be civil suits or otherwise adjudicated damages though.
>>
>>46178591

So engineers rarely do hands-on work anymore, or don't get their own hands dirty? What exactly are they doing if they're not telling robutts what to do?

I'd think in larger habitats, like the largest ones, would have more direct transhuman oversight, no?
>>
>>46183915
I imagine that if you make a fork, legally separate, and the fork commits a crime, you're in the clear, with one exception. I suspect that you'd be liable to be brought up on charges of conspiracy - if you intended, or even left the possibility open for the crime to occur, you could be considered to have conspired with your fork - even if the 'conspiracy' occurred before the fork was a distinct person. If your fork gets in a bar fight and stabs someone, you're probably fine. If they go on a campaign of harassment against someone that you don't like, you might be in trouble.
>>
>>46177762
Isn't learning about engineering useless because you can throw screwdrivers, levers, and welding torches at things to construct/repair/maintain them?

Nanomachines and robots are tools, they aren't exceptionally smart, and don't design things. Now, wrench-turners like Clarke might actually be jamming a synthetic wrench turning shell, or more likely, directing a dozen of them while on board wrench-turning AIs do the simple stuff. Basically, you don't need as many technicians as previously, though semi-skilled indentures probably work better than pure expert systems.

>>46178022
Many people have medichines in their body, wear smart clothing, or have a guardian swarm in storage on their person. Nanotechnology is common enough that I think people would have a more nuanced view of it than turning away after the Fall.
>>
File: 1456820953886.png (4 MB, 1500x2175) Image search: [Google]
1456820953886.png
4 MB, 1500x2175
>>46167376
>(1/2)
>Founded by idealists, Nova York has been artificially manufacturing its own economy for years based on a locally produced financial currency called the “noyo.” Here, no other form of currency is accepted and the value of a single noyo devalues over time from the date of issue, an intentional design meant to stimulate spending and prevent currency speculation or mass accumulation of wealth. Additionally, the value of the noyo is pegged to a reputation index internal to Nova York, so positively valued actions slow the devaluation of currency for an individual while an influx of negative acts can accelerate the devaluation process. A single noyo will typically devalue to zero over two months; reputation flux can adjust this from one month to three months. The Banco de Nova York (BdNY), which manages all financial transactions as the habitat’s legal custodian, is owned jointly through shares purchased by permanent residents who have chosen to live within the city limits for over five years. Since the BdNY is directly answerable to those most invested in seeing Nova York flourish, it tends to take a more pro-social stance on development than more traditional financial institutions.
>>
>>46184235
IIRC a lot of places say the forks (and probably backups) count as a different person after ~6 months. This probably has a lot of weird side effects if you don't back up often. The Eclipse Phase justice system must be very confusing, especially with the kinds of treatments which can be required. I think I read something about PC law generally being about criminal repaying victims, as with enough time in a healing vat, resleeving, and psychosurgery, just about any crime can be undone, for a price.

>>46184319
That's pretty much what engineers do today, except it's technicians instead of robots. Assuming most work which is done by transhumans is likely done with jammed synthetic shells rather than personally, as it's safer.

What do you mean by direct transhuman oversight?
>>
File: MeMyForksAnI.png (3 MB, 1703x1103) Image search: [Google]
MeMyForksAnI.png
3 MB, 1703x1103
>>46184332

Yeah, I was just thinking that as I typed >>46184235 that some form of "Conspiracy" or "Accessory" charge is probably common to forks and may be applied even to backups which are significantly out of date. It's hard to argue that a you from 6 months ago is the same guy who committed a crime against somebody who you only met a week ago, but that you might still be held criminally accountable for putting the You who actually did it in the right place.

Of course, in many places Forks are not legally distinct, or have to go through a lot of hoops to be seen as such, thus a fork committing a crime may be seen as an extension of the alpha the same way you don't hold a gun, a car or a dog responsible for a crime - unless you can prove in a court of law the fork wasn't acting with your permission or authorization and is thus an illegal, rogue fork.
>>
>>46184432
>(2/2)
>This system of checks and balances ensures the BdNY does not attain too much power and remains in the long-term interests of the habitat. As a result, residents rent, rather than buy, a roof over their head and hold onto few possessions in order to spend their money on what they deem more valuable: entertainment, recreation, new and improved architecture, city-wide clean-up and maintenance, emergency services, police protection, etc. In theory, the economy is intended to force everyone to have a stake in the well-being of their neighbor, whether they want to or not. In practice, though, it has resulted in Nova Yorkers sometimes turning a blind eye to misdeeds or bad behavior of friends and comrades so as not to cost them money. On the opposite end, I’ve seen Nova Yorkers banding together to mete out group punishment to “narcs” who too often inflict negative reputation feedback.

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds fucking horrifying? The system makes it impossible to save money, meaning that if you ever lose your job you have no nest egg to pay for housing or police protection, all of which you get on a rental basis. What's worse is that if you're unpopular, your money erodes faster and roving gangs of citizens will attack you. Extreme economic insecurity and lethal popularity contests, a combination of the worst aspects of capitalism and anarchism.
>>
>>46184587

Well, it's a thing. an experimental thing. You can take it how you like, some people probably think it's brilliant, other's are like you and find it terrifying.

I have some serious logistical questions about the whole thing, though, which I'm not sure the book answers. But I also don't know any economics majors lying around and that's not my area of expertise.
>>
>>46184496

Well, maintaining a space habitat takes tremendous effort, right? Even in the transhuman age I'd imagine. I'd think that a larger and more populous habitat wouldn't have the luxury of having most of its maintenance be done by fleets of drones, since there's more of a chance for stuff to break down or need repairing that simply couldn't be done remotely or via an AI.

I honestly don't know a lot about engineering, especially when applied to space habitats, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

>>46184372
Yeah, I'd think people would be okay with certain forms of nanotechnology on the personal level. But applied in an industrial/large scale might be controversial, at least in my version of the setting. I'm blatantly doing that for the aesthetics and "feel" of the setting, though.
>>
>>46184530
>unless you can prove in a court of law the fork wasn't acting with your permission or authorization and is thus an illegal, rogue fork.
So what happens if an anti corp type (Let's call him Alan) creates an edited beta fork of himself who doesn't remember shit about himself (Let's call him Bob) except his prime directive of "FUCK THE PC", and lets Bob run wild and free. Bob creates dozens of suicide delta forks of himself, sleeved in synths, to carry out a campaign of terror acts for him. (Call them the Daves). While Bob is being a terrorist with an army of Daves, Alan is chilling out living an ordinary life as a Cognite brainhacker drone and gives Bob and the Daves zero input or contact beyond the initial creation of Bob. Is Alan legally and/or morally culpable for Bob or the Daves' actions?
>>
>>46184682
The currency declining in value is probably intended to encourage people to circulate money and prevent hoarding, in the same way a negative interest rate would. However this has the effect of punishing people for trying to save or invest. If what you really want is for people to consume as much as possible and never save it might be a good idea, but the downside is that you encourage people to have shitty time preference.

Also, the refusal to accept other currencies, combined with the fact that their currency constantly decreases in value, might cause some trouble for people who want to trade with the rest of the Solar System
>>
>>46184717
Yes to both. The degree depends on where Alan is tried.
If Alan is tried in a court that treats Bob and the Daves as Alan's property, he would be held liable for the crimes they committed.
If Alan is tried in a court that treats Bob and the Daves as separate individuals, he would be held liable for conspiracy to commit the crimes they committed.
>>
>>46184717

What >>46184841 said. Assuming the evidence is present, that's a clear trace from Alan to Dave where he can be held legally and morally responsible, same as if I hand you an AK and told you to "FUCK AMERICA".
>>
File: martian-sexpot.jpg (678 KB, 630x993) Image search: [Google]
martian-sexpot.jpg
678 KB, 630x993
>>
>>46185098
>Assuming the evidence is present
Which is a stumbling block, given that Bob makes a very neat cutout to avoid connecting anything back to Alan.
>>
>>46185906

Well, that's the rub with any criminal activity, you have to actually prove it in a court of law. If you can actually prove it, that would certainly constitute some kind of legal liability on Alan's part, especially since those are the works of Beta and Delta forks (who are arguably not full persons even when Forks have proper rights).
>>
File: Ruster.png (833 KB, 458x1339) Image search: [Google]
Ruster.png
833 KB, 458x1339
>>46185601
>>
>>46184717
It doesn't even matter whether or not Bob is a fork of Alan; he's still going to be considered a conspirator or accessory to terrorism.

>>46185906
It's a problem, but not an insurmountable one. The panopticon and the ability to look backwards in time makes it hard to get away with crimes like this. Eventually they'll capture or trace the terrorists.
>>
File: Sentinels 2.png (1 MB, 1193x771) Image search: [Google]
Sentinels 2.png
1 MB, 1193x771
>>46186550
>>
Y'think there were ever any memoirs written by emergent AGI?
>>
>>46187554
The first half of Flowers for Algernon.
>>
>>46184587
>Fucking horrifying

Welcome to anarcho-capitalism
>>
File: Extropia.png (16 KB, 600x571) Image search: [Google]
Extropia.png
16 KB, 600x571
>>46188047

Statist Commie Facist Detected
>>
File: ep tier ranking.png (211 KB, 964x1080) Image search: [Google]
ep tier ranking.png
211 KB, 964x1080
>>46188183
>Extropia

You know red and black means Anarcho Communism, right?
>>
>>46188489

Obviously, my post was very serious.
>>
File: Masked Guard Morph.jpg (849 KB, 940x1330) Image search: [Google]
Masked Guard Morph.jpg
849 KB, 940x1330
>>
File: Voyager_2_picture_of_Oberon.jpg (49 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
Voyager_2_picture_of_Oberon.jpg
49 KB, 310x310
>>
>>46188489
>Jovians
>Anything but shit tier

Como estas amigo?
>>
File: Firewall Operations.png (2 MB, 1194x756) Image search: [Google]
Firewall Operations.png
2 MB, 1194x756
>>
File: Ringer.jpg (19 KB, 455x534) Image search: [Google]
Ringer.jpg
19 KB, 455x534
>>
File: Jove_uber_alles.png (61 KB, 1054x958) Image search: [Google]
Jove_uber_alles.png
61 KB, 1054x958
>>46189903
You're not from around here, are you?
>>
File: a smug anime.jpg (50 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
a smug anime.jpg
50 KB, 384x384
>>46189903
you misspelled anarcho-anything
>>
>>46191011
There are many flavors of shit
>>
>>46188489
Semi-off topic how does mutualism take care of people who can't take care of themselves e.g. sick or elderly if everything is based on earning your way?
Also I agree neo-primitivists a shit and probably an x-risk
>>
>>46191161
The answer in Eclipse Phase is that dirt cheap access to healing vats and psychosurgery mean that almost everyone is able to reach a state where they can participate in the economy

The answer in real life is to mumble something about 'mutual aid societies' and evade the question
>>
>>46191220
What about insane people? They still exist in EP and are usually pretty bad at being able to afford care
>>
>>46191220
>>46191259
Realized you already had psychosurgery nevermind
>>
>>46191259
All muses are very competent psychologists. They could probably help.
>>
File: BruceLee Transhumanism.jpg (179 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
BruceLee Transhumanism.jpg
179 KB, 1280x800
>>
>>46168490

Read their chosen licensing.
>>
>>46191375
Git me a live Sigmund, not them glowy talkin ghosts!
>>
File: MeetYourMuse.png (353 KB, 712x896) Image search: [Google]
MeetYourMuse.png
353 KB, 712x896
>>46192709

Well then, you shouldn't have configured your Muse's avatar that way then, friendo. Could even have them walking and talking like Freud himself if you actually used the config questionnaire properly.
>>
File: Pod Fashion Show.jpg (199 KB, 1200x1139) Image search: [Google]
Pod Fashion Show.jpg
199 KB, 1200x1139
>>
File: 1437190557276.jpg (676 KB, 2112x2970) Image search: [Google]
1437190557276.jpg
676 KB, 2112x2970
>>
Hey guys curious anon here. What is Eclipse Phase? I know nothing about it.
>>
>>46192353
Bruce Lee was the first Ultimate.
>>
File: eclipsephase_cover_phs.jpg (330 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
eclipsephase_cover_phs.jpg
330 KB, 900x1165
>>46193730

Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.
Extinction is approaching. Fight it!
>>
>>46193730
>People can upload their consciousness into computers, making them effectively immortal
>The military invented self-improving AIs
>These AIs went wacky and tried to wipe out humanity BECAUSE THEY WERE CORRUPTED BY ANCIENT ALIUMS
>The AIs fucked off
>Earth is fucked

>10 years later
>Everything is either a fascist nationalistic shithole, a corporate capitalist shithole, or an anarchist paradise, because the devs cannot into subtlety
>Everyone is fucking with shit beyond their ken and trying to fuck everyone else
>You're a member of Firewall, a secret conspiracy dedicated to preventing transhumanity (which now includes AIs and uplifted animals) from fucking itself off the face of the universe
>>
>>46193730
Humans build super powerful AIs as part of a future Cold War. They go nuts and murder 95% of humanity. Earth is fucked so the survivors spread out across the system and make tons of new societies on every political system imaginable. Brains are like software and can get downloaded into new bodies and emailed across space. Humanity is immortal now, except for how we have about a million ways of going extinct. As a firewall agent you'll fight techno-organic viruses, intergalactic chat roulette and insane ultra-vegans with nuclear weapons in the impossible task of keeping us from killing ourselves.
>>
File: Olympian 1.jpg (707 KB, 548x1000) Image search: [Google]
Olympian 1.jpg
707 KB, 548x1000
>>
>>46193730
Eclipse Phase is a game of transhuman horror and conspiracy

All the books are free, so you should follow the links in the pasta to download them and read them for yourself if you're at all interested in the game or the setting
>>
>>46193225
>When you only have one outfit to split between two people
>>
File: Opteryx.png (487 KB, 1026x1354) Image search: [Google]
Opteryx.png
487 KB, 1026x1354
>>46194380
>>
File: LightcurveHygiea.jpg (32 KB, 960x532) Image search: [Google]
LightcurveHygiea.jpg
32 KB, 960x532
>>46195199
>>
File: Psychosurgery.png (1 MB, 1195x516) Image search: [Google]
Psychosurgery.png
1 MB, 1195x516
>>
>>46184700
Teleoperation from the same hab should be easy, excluding solar stations or Jovian habs in radiation belts, where there's a lot of interference. Those places need a lot more direct transhuman (or human) work, but they're rare.

One thing to keep in mind is just how much data a modern hab generates. Something like a hamilton cylinder has sensors as dense as every cm or so, so it's easy to track problems all across the hab. Older designs probably don't have that kind of spime density, and need more attention, but a lot of that can be done with drones, even if the footage needs to be analyzed by a transhuman later. I'm not sure what the breakdown between automatic repair systems and transhuman work is. I suspect that a lot of preventative maintenance and simple fixes are automatic, while critical components or complex repairs have transhuman oversight. That would mean that a lot of the day to day work is largely automatic, with operators largely green-lighting automatic repairs and looking for hidden damage. Mostly, that engineering is there for when things to wrong in a big way, which can definitely happen, for a lot of reasons.

A lot of engineering is designing systems, not always operating them. That's often the job of technicians or other less well trained workers. Engineers generally design systems, check to make sure they are functionally optimally, and look for ways to improve them.

Keep in mind that most industrial scale nanofab is generally out of the public eye. Shipyards use a lot of big nanofab for components, but that's about as visible to the public as the big hydraulic presses and hammers of steelworks, and it's similar for a lot of other big building projects. There's some nanotechnology used in terraforming (though it's kind of rare), but most people aren't terraformers.
>>
File: CylinderHab.jpg (125 KB, 1195x840) Image search: [Google]
CylinderHab.jpg
125 KB, 1195x840
>>
We've talked about Ultimate chefs, but what about Ultimate carpenters or puzzle makers or other professions?
>>
File: Ultimates 3.jpg (73 KB, 410x810) Image search: [Google]
Ultimates 3.jpg
73 KB, 410x810
>>46196251

Well, here's the thing, an Ultimate should not ever be one thing. If you are a master of carpentry as an Ultimate, you should also master many other things. Carpentry is only one step on the path to perfection.

Woodworking is a hell of a skill to perfect in AF 10 though.
>>
An ultimate should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for genetrash.
>>
File: 481828195_a1a19f09b8_b.jpg (202 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
481828195_a1a19f09b8_b.jpg
202 KB, 1024x768
>>46196251
>>46196286
>>46196335
>Ultimate Children's Story

>Once there was a prince who wielded all the powers of earth and heaven at his fingertips. Nothing was unknown to him. Nothing was beyond his grasp. He was master of all he surveyed.
>One day, as he gazed out on his kingdom, he stumbled on a message from far beyond his realm.
>A wise man had written it, cast it into the dark long before the prince was born. It was a message of laughter and joy and wisdom and beauty and perfection that the prince had never imagined possible.
>'I will become like him, or die in the attempt' the prince thought. And so he tossed away his gaudy robes and trinkets and his kingdom and absconded to unguessable spheres to pursue this great truth.
>His name was Ouranos and he was the first TITAN.
>>
>>46196360
Fucking hell, genetrash is just a troll term from the authors.

Heinlein is a trip, though, and so appropriate for EP. Everything from Time Enough to Starship Troopers.
>>
>>46196286
Well, said carpenter Ultimate could also be a genehacker/botanist, metalworker, and artist.

All to make the best rocking chair you've ever seen or sat on.
>>
>>46197849
And presumably a seasoned explorer, with knowledge of exoplanets, all in order to hunt down wood with new aesthetic or practical qualities.
>>
>>46196637
>troll term
It's called an "insult". You may have heard of them before.
>>
One guy in my group really to play one mind that controls several bodies at the same time. Does the system support something like that? Is it something you can start with?
>>
>>46198580
It's called jamming. He'll need to be an infomorph or have Multitasking.
>>
>>46198580
You could presumably do it with forking, or I suppose technically you can do it with swarmanoids (insofar as they're a morph made up of lots of little bots in a single swarm) but, off the top of my head, I can't think of other ways you'd be able to do it. The forking route isn't ideal, and I imagine most GMs would start to take more control of forks as they drift further away from the experiences of the "original". The swarmanoid morph sort of sees you inhabiting several bodies, but they can't spread out too far.
>>
>>46197849
Next thread is Eclipse Phase: Dungeon Meshi edition
>>
>>46199289
Gastronauts unite!
>>
>>46199289
we will eat the TITANs, and thus regain the dignity they stole from us
>>
>>46200247
But if you eat the TITANs, the TITANs will eat you!
>>
File: TITANwaifu.png (309 KB, 534x428) Image search: [Google]
TITANwaifu.png
309 KB, 534x428
>>46200280
TITANS would never do anything to harm humans
>>
File: dominator replica.gif (2 MB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
dominator replica.gif
2 MB, 480x300
>>
File: BasicPod_JamesMosingo.png (205 KB, 247x670) Image search: [Google]
BasicPod_JamesMosingo.png
205 KB, 247x670
Noob player here

Currently planning to take an indentured character, do the modern slavery thing

Aside from the "depends on the location" and "talk to your GM" answers, what rights does an indentured have? Can they refuse certain work (in most locations). How many protections do their contracts typically have.

I trust my GM, but would like a bit of a ballpark in-case he starts going all magical realms on me.
>>
>>46198413
No, it's a troll term, you complete fucking retard. Genetrash. In a setting where genes are basically treated as lego.
>>
>>46201923
It depends on your location. Talk to your GM.
>>
>>46201923
There's a ballpark thing, a sidebar on Extropian indenture contracts in one of the books. Rimward or Sunward. Whichever features Extropia.
>>
>>46202092
Except there are people who don't treat them like lego as well as people who deliberately use inferior morphs, inferior being often subjective.
>>
>>46201923
Most indentures serve under contracts that outline the nature of the work they'll do ahead of time, and guarantee them certain rights and dignities for their term of service. It's wage-slavery, but it's not slavery-slavery.
>>
>>46201923
Despite there evidently being no actual rights in Extropia beyond property ownership, you're still probably better off as an indenture there than in the PC.
>>
>>46203168
By which I mean, unless you willingly signed up for the magical realm clause, your contract holder can't force you to do weird stuff.

Remember that indentured work takes place (mostly) in view of the public, and no one would sign up for indenture if it looked like too shitty a deal from the outside.
>>
>>46203168
>It's wage-slavery, but it's not slavery-slavery.
Assuming the corp is on the up and up and your contract isn't a piece of shot that says "Security and military enforcement work, 2 years", then throws you into every high intensity conflict zone in the Valles Mineris. And any time you lose a body you add a year to your contract. And they charge for any ammunition beyond 3 mags per battle, or any seeker/grenade use. Or any mesh use that isn't tacnet. They managed to turn a 2 year contract into an 8 year one that way before I managed to weasel out.
>>
>>46203219

It's not super detailed because it's the same old tune, but in Extropia you have the same rights of self-determination and all that you can expect in the AA, the Extropians just also believe in the rights of physical property and in capitalist systems. But since it's not "communism", you best not be looking to the community to handle any of your basic needs, what you can't accomplish on your own, you must be willing to trade for.
>>
>>46203355
Never said it was a GREAT deal, but it's still a deal.
>>
>>46203501
Mmmkay, the image I got from reading through is that Extropians only have whatever "rights" that they can pay someone else to respect - but the advantage is that they at least have a decent shot at getting some money to do that with; whereas, in the PC everything's up to the whims of your boss regardless of what any nominal laws state.
>>
>>46203501
>you best not be looking to the community to handle any of your basic needs,
It depends, really. There's likely to be a handful of people/groups running public charity ops for PR/rep/ideological purposes/reasons, so being penniless in Extropia isn't directly a death sentence. Indenture in Extropia is most commonly a way to resolve massive debts or a punishment for anti social behavior.
At the same time, being reliant on charity in Extropia is going to tank your rep like crazy, so be careful with that.
>>
>>46203597

Well, in some ways this is true. You can have a right to self-determination and autonomy all you like, but if you don't have the resources to enforce it, is it really there? Of course, that's kind of true in real life, the just in most places the government proactively takes your money and in exchange you can dial 911 (or local equivalent) and somebody will probably eventually show up. The greater ethos of Extropia is on your side, which given the social connectivity of the setting should mean something.

>>46203620

Right, there's no "rule" against charity or a non-profit in Extropia, despite what people may believe from playing Bioshock. But that's not the "community" or commune in like, a communism sense, that is an individual or group of individuals who have figured out how to provide that service. Extropia itself has no obligations to you besides what you pay for, I/E, making sure the lights are on.
>>
>>46201923
Transhuman has a section on what life is like for Indentures and is probably the most useful book for your purposes.

Indentures aren't slaves. Their contracts can be bought and sold, but they are granted protections from certain arbitrary treatment.

The idea that indentures are mostly employed as prostitutes is one that /epg/ came up with as a result of the implications of widely available, copyable dumb AI on the career prospects of unskilled workers. There's not actually anything in the books supporting it.
>>
When making a character for the game, what are the typical must-have items for people?

If you want to be some sort of infiltration-specced person with combat too, what do you need?
>>
>>46203992
>If you want to be some sort of infiltration-specced person with combat too, what do you need?
A small sizes synth body with Speed 4, camo coating, and radar invisibility.
>>
>>46203620
Look at description of The Pit in Extropia, it kind of implies that there's not people / corps running charity work if that's the sort of place people can end up.
>>
>>46177762
Isaac Clarke in particular would be snapped up by Firewall just like Doomguy, Duke Nukem or Gordon Freeman would be.
>>
>>46204012
What if I wanted to be an async, though?
>>
>>46204223
A small size pod body with Speed 4, camo coating, radar invisibility and a brain box
>>
>>46204283
>>46204223

Or take Morph Fever Resistance.
>>
>>46204283
Don't pods get huge penalties as an async, though, on top of being bad?
>>
By some stroke of luck, does anyone here happen to have the link to the homebrewed Psi sleights? One of them was something akin to Wired Reflexes out of Shadowrun, and I believe there was a sort of mind-railgun type one. I had the link way back, but I've apparently lost it.
>>
What do your creepy bots look like, /epg/? Do you have a standard look?
>>
What are some interesting "attacks", tactics or ideological quirks for a militant Barsoomian group to have
>>
File: NonAutonomistBarsoomians.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
NonAutonomistBarsoomians.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46205925
>>
>>46205925
>Attacks/tactics
Smuggling sabotage and SERE skillsofts to indentures to facilitate their escapes and inspire internal resistance.

Modifying common morphs (particularly rusters and pleasure pods) so the bone marrow becomes concealed nanohives, constantly slowly creating sabotage nano to be applied to infrastructure/corp workers through special pores on the skin. Spits scrapper's gel and bleeds disassemblers.

Runs a mid-scale prostitution/drug parlor, catering to slumming execs and middle management; while stones out of their minds, the cell discreetly fork-naps them and tortures the forks for intel and blackmail material.

Flying bombs disguised as common small delivery drones; interception of actual deliveries (most commonly pizza deliveries) to gain entrance to poorly-secured hypercorp facilities before detonation.

Long-range mortar and missile attacks on hypercorp facilities outside the main domes; weapons are emplaced by on-site nanofabrication months before each attack, aimed and fired via on-board suicide gamma fork, minimizing chances of the cell being traced from these attacks.

In order to prevent enemy analysis from being able to predict their movements, cell makes all non-immediate decisions (where do we attack next, is it time to move safehouses, etc.) by ancient Chinese fortune-telling.
>>
File: Smile.jpg (12 KB, 427x289) Image search: [Google]
Smile.jpg
12 KB, 427x289
>>46205925
'Bomb organs' implanted in suicide forks, to be detonated in crowded areas
>>
>>46205925
>>46207499
>Ideological quirks
Catholic-derived cult, believes that Fall was the Rapture and invention of cornucopia machines, resleeving etc. were inspired by God to give mankind the tools to build the Kingdom of Heaven here on Earth. (Earth being used as a general term for not-Heaven.) Supports terraforming, regards PC as an (because there's more than one) Anti-Christ.

'Techno-primitivists', regard cities as a temporary and regrettable stage in mankind's development; the natural state of man is the nomadic tribe, using modern nanofacturing to support technological existence while avoiding the evils of settled life. All synthmorphs, no permanent base.

Bizarre ultimate-influenced ideology; belief in the purifying effects of cataclysm, wishes to escalate Barsoomian-PC conflict to level of mass WMD use in the conviction that a 'Pure Mars' shall emerge from the fire.

Cell wishes to create Synergy-styled groupmind on Mars, regards such as inevitable consequence of the historical dialectic or some shit. Makes constant and incomprehensible references to Hegel and his contemporaries.

Communists and exhumans; wish to use psychosurgery to create the 'New Soviet Man', free of the selfish influences inherent to mentally baseline humans that make inequality and want possible. Disregard all communist philosophers after Marx himself.
>>
>>46201227
>Seed AI waifu is, as far as you can tell, sane and not corrupted
>but she does keep sending you out to fight alien zombies
>she says it would be bad for both of you if she got infected or if everybody died
>>
>>46208265
>every Firewall proxy has a promethean waifu
>she promises to send a fork to you when you retire if you do well

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW
>>
>>46208545
>Fights to defend her smile
>>
>>46203975
To a lot of folk who chatted about indenturement... Ta! Just got back to my comp and there's some good advice here.

I'll write a short contract into my character background, maybe even write the background in the style of a contract and throw that at the GM
>>
>>46208545
>she promises to send a fork to you when you retire if you do well
what if i want HER sleeved in a cute morph?
>>
>>46209331
She's a lot more smarter then you, silly! She'll pick a morph that you'll consider the cutest without you even knowing.
>>
>>46209433
>>46209331

A whole Promethean can't fit in a single morph, so unless she's gonna distribute through like, a small team of Hyperbrights or Mentons or something, it has to be a fork.
>>
I think I'm going to run a session in the style of Everyone is John. A couple of egos sleeved into a single morph fighting for control.

What can possibly go wrong, aside from regular Everyone is John stuff?
>>
Where can I find some possible plot hooks for Belt adventures? I've hit the bottom in terms of imagination, and the game is in four days. Please help, /epg/.
>>
>>46209729

Pop open your Rimward and skim the main belt chapter.
>>
>>46209729
Space pirates. Mining-claim jumpers backed by rival mafias. Ultimate frat-boys hopped up on Space Cocaine and raising hell in Daddy's SLOTV.
>>
File: [laughter stops].jpg (12 KB, 313x254) Image search: [Google]
[laughter stops].jpg
12 KB, 313x254
>>46209480
>so unless she's gonna distribute through like, a small team of Hyperbrights or Mentons or something
>they all speak at the same time and all stare at you together
on second thought, the fork sounds good
>>
File: Anarchist Saboteur.jpg (280 KB, 1016x1080) Image search: [Google]
Anarchist Saboteur.jpg
280 KB, 1016x1080
>>
>>46205866
I try not to think about what robots look like.
>>
>>46209729
Firewall or not?

Oversight is using an anarchist group as a stalking horse. Autonomist negotiators frantically try and stop claim jumpers. Someone is nuking random relay stations they claim are 9-lives linked.
>>
>>46209729
there's an autonomous, dumb AI controlled nuclear arms factory and shipping center hidden out there. somewhere. It operates a heavily protected untraceable mesh catalogue, and ships everywhere in system. Despite the absurdity of the scenario it is a very real threat, especially because the best the location could be narrowed down to is "somewhere in the main belt", and we have no idea who built it. The products we have captured don't appear to be TITAN designed, nor do the disposable transport capsules that carried them, instead appearing rather nondescriptly military utilitarian.
>>
>>46211086
Hey, cogfucker, how goes your chrome fetish?
>>
>>46211816
>there's an autonomous, dumb AI controlled nuclear arms factory and shipping center hidden out there. somewhere. It operates a heavily protected untraceable mesh catalogue, and ships everywhere in system.
So, a Zbrny outpost?
>>
>>46209480
Puppetsock the morph and run it from a computing cluster. Localize reflexes to the morph.
>>
File: Redoubt.png (850 KB, 1195x721) Image search: [Google]
Redoubt.png
850 KB, 1195x721
>>
File: Phobos_colour_2008.jpg (15 KB, 260x254) Image search: [Google]
Phobos_colour_2008.jpg
15 KB, 260x254
>>
>>46203738
>But that's not the "community" or commune in like, a communism sense, that is an individual or group of individuals who have figured out how to provide that service
Actually there explicitly are Extropian communes. You buy in and off you go with your safety net.
>>
>>46214307

That's still not a government or even a greater action by Extropia (I/E, the Extropy Now corporation), that's still private individuals coming together to do whatever. You could run a social club the same way, you pay your dues and you can always have a place to hang out and eat lunch or whatever, because the cash pays the rent on the hab space used to contain the club so you can do whatever you like.

Sadly, though, the book does expound very little on how Mutualist enclaves in Extropia function, like, logistically, it's more just kind of a general explanation that they are a thing and they straddle the line between many anarchists and the greater Extropian/Ancap community.
>>
>>46214307
>>46214445
Extropians may not think much of safety nets, but they'll be okay with any hinky business you can imagine as long as you're giving them money.
...Oh my god. They're a lot more like socialists than they realize.
>>
>>46214488

Really, I think the only thing purist extropians would object to is the idea of a "government" entity demanding unilateral payment from citizens to provide a social safety net to generically "everyone".

If you don't use a road, why should you pay for that road to be fixed?

Though, using that as an analogy gets more complex when you take into account Extropia itself as a habitat, because habitat system failures are bad news. This is one of the many ways Extropy Now gets away with being an extremely hands-off minarchy
>>
>>46214616
What is the effective difference between a government and a corporation if they both fulfil the same roles and both have similar means of enforcing payment for their services and obedience to their policies?
>>
>>46214720

Functionally, none, welcome to the Planetary Consortium.

In the case of Extropia itself, the difference is because Extropy Now desires Extropia to function roughly as is and will use their power as de facto landlords to the entire hab (and some expensive security contracts associated there). Of course, the citizenry of Extropia similarly tend to be armed and philosophically inclined to keep it a certain way, so trying to rock the boat too had from Extropy's end would result in armed rebellion in the space streets.
>>
>>46214616
MINARCHY FUCK YEAH
>>
File: Asteroid Mining.jpg (483 KB, 1100x771) Image search: [Google]
Asteroid Mining.jpg
483 KB, 1100x771
>>
>>46205075

There's a psi-revamp out there which is solid.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CLp_XSm0AjxHzcKszS3C5xsmHDfieMzBblOY_zOEJeU/edit#

The Eye magazine has a way of combining mass effect biotics if you're playing Eclipse Effect. I also saw a few metasleights for Psi 2.5 which come with their own set of problems once. Stuff like +5 SV to knock range 'up' a category. That sort of thing.
>>
File: Sentinels 3.png (988 KB, 1195x722) Image search: [Google]
Sentinels 3.png
988 KB, 1195x722
>>
>>46216544
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/Psi%20Redux.pdf

What about this? Is it any good?
>>
>>46217256
>>46217256
Eh. I didn't like it, myself, but mostly because it removed the 'feel' that the metasleight version and the link I posted preserved. It turns it into a more sword and sorcery sort of thing, where as the link just made it more viable, and the metasleight version built on that with bolt-on options for psychics relying on social pressure for secrecy (An async is one thing. An async throwing visible bolts of light around is an exsurgent threat and needs to be annihilated).

If you can preserve the whole 'dark mystery, possible threat' thing around asyncs with that one, go for it. Psychics aren't any more inherently powerful than a dude with a gun in combat, wether vanilla, revamp, redux or metasleights (except at the highest level of redux), but they're one fuck of a lot more versatile.
>>
File: promethian waifu network.jpg (931 KB, 1018x768) Image search: [Google]
promethian waifu network.jpg
931 KB, 1018x768
>>46210040
>>46209480

That could work. Like a cuter swarmanoid.
>>
>>46217323
Tbh the majority of what interested me out of it was the passive stuff, though admittedly the railgun thing is kinda neat.
>>
>>46217361
The only passives I can see in there, unless I'm gravely mistaken, are vanilla sleights.
>>
>>46217391
Oh, huh, guess I was wrong. Celeritas seems useful, though. Dunno why I thought it was a passive.
>>
>>46217438
Celeritas and Meltdown are absolutely *insane*. +50 to som-linked skills and init? You know how in exalted you punch people so hard they turn into ducks, or dreams, or sometimes they wake up last tuesday as the little girl except everyone around them is actually the ebon dragon pretending to be them pretending to be wednesday six years from now? That is what happens there.
>>
>>46217487
Is Celeritas really on the level of Infinite Plasmaworks?
>>
>>46217256
This is fucking bullshit. Might as well start playing D&D or Shadowrun. Teleportation (as a QUICK FUCKING ACTION)? Force fields? Really? I'm pretty sure Fireball and Wish are there somewhere, I may have missed them in my enraged skimming.

>>46217487
Meltdown is *at least* psi-epsilon, which is restricted to exsurgents only and is SUPPOSED to be Totaly Not Magic in Space.
>>
>>46209331
Then you don't retire.
>>
Is it reasonably doable to play a character that refuses to use farcasting or switch bodies except in the most dire circumstances?
>>
>>46218339
Only if the campaign takes place in one hab/planet/moon.
>>
>>46218339
Yeah. Might be one of those rare people who has a spaceship, an antimatter courier. I think travel time tops out at a month in one of those? I forget.

Play an old fart. Immortality blues, early spacer. Requires a lot of fucking around/telepresence, though.
>>
>>46218339

Sure. Just because cortical stacks are a thing, doesn't mean that some people don't have philosophical, religious, or even scientific reasons to not consider egocasting or non-consciousness-contiguous resleeving to be 'death' no matter what the other guy with your stack and memories may say.

May be hard to play such a character in a game, though.
>>
>>46218782
>>46218714
>>46218707
Would it be out of place for an Ultimate, though?
>>
>>46218789
Kinda, especially when hopping into a newer version of the body they're in.
>>
>>46217256
It's a decent resource for Exsurgent psi, but I wouldn't let players touch it.
>>
File: Positronic_by_Rahll.jpg (288 KB, 1100x1357) Image search: [Google]
Positronic_by_Rahll.jpg
288 KB, 1100x1357
How many out there play Firewall agents and use the TITAN stuff? I have all the EP books and TITANs seem like the least interesting thing about the setting.
>>
When are we going to destroy everything unnatural?
>>
>>46218789
>>46218714
>Ultimates naval support
>doesn't like using morphs that don't run on antimatter
>"You see Ivan, to command the battleship you must become the battleship"
>>
>>46219667
On that note, ARE there even stats/prices for ships?
>>
>>46218782
>May be hard to play such a character in a game, though.
Mostly because those people all died in the fall with no backups
>>
>>46219799
I think there are some size, acceleration, and delta-v values somewhere. More will be coming in the planned spaceship book.
>>
>>46219922
Point is, if I wanted to attempt to pull off that character mentioned above with the no-resleeving thing and using a ship to get around, are there stats/a price I can pay to do this?
>>
>>46219976
It depends on the scope of the game. In an Earth-Luna system game, or Saturn system game where you don't have to leave planetary orbit, this is easy. You can have a rocket buggy to get around, or just take local transport, or have a spacecraft (see below). Transit times are measured in hours or days.

If you have to leave planetary orbit, things are harder. Yes, you can have (or at least use) a spacecraft for 30 CP (see 'Spacecraft' https://eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/traits ), but you'll still take months to get anywhere - which is a problem for most games.
>>
>>46219224
Well kind of like how Chaos is the least interesting 40k faction, it is still ultimately responsible for 90% of the setting. Most things in EP can be traced back to the titans so one way or the other, unless you play the most straight laced of characters, you will end up using TITAN something somehow.
>>
>>46217256
As stupid as this is, it would actually be kind of fitting for a System Shock hack of EP.
>>
>>46222277
What grade even is Celeritas? Is it possible for a PC to even get?
>>
I recall the sunward book mentioning a large number of I mutated exurgents left on earth that seem to carry on with transhuman life, the only difference being that everyone is batshit insane.

would these guys be using a TITAN technology base, a human one?

How active might they be to achieve whatever chuthulu-cultish goal they might have?

How self aware and individual should they be? Do they remember the fall, do they remember it correctly?

Do they have farcasters? Backups? Morphs to sleeve into?

What's the right feel? Are they the Borg on crack? Cyborg Tzeench cultists? Just regular transhumans that all agree that psychic blood orgies and worshiping the machine is great?
>>
So what exactly are the factors? I see them mentioned in a few of the books I read and in some homebrew but I can't find ground zero as it were. Were they in core and I just missed them? I can obviously from context clues guess they are aliens of some description but I need more.
>>
>>46224058
They're in the corebook under the GM only section. Short form, sapient slime molds thatsurvived their own Fall and claim to be from the Space Federation. Even in universe this is commonly distrusted and disbelieved.
>>
>>46222957
It all heavily depends on the precise exsurgent strain involved in the settlement. A strain that turns people into superintelligent psychic aliens will turn out much differently from one that turns people into pulsing, screaming flesh hives for cyberorganic wasps, and neither will resemble what happens with a strain that turns synthetics into ravening cannibals futilely gorging themselves on any flesh they can find to sate their endless hunger.
>>
Is it possible to build a legitimately viable melee-oriented character, or does the octuple-sniper octopus basically become the only viable character?
>>
File: Ultimate Purifier.png (788 KB, 550x1494) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Purifier.png
788 KB, 550x1494
>>46224594

Well, for starters you can't really be an octuple-sniper, each rifle takes two limbs and even with 4 then you're not doing anything to steady yourself.

But yes, you could build a character based on melee, and in fact being an octopus wielding 3 or 4 swords works pretty well toward that, but also attacking from stealth is a big deal, you can do some decent damage that way, especially with called shots
>>
>>46219224
You could do terrorists or rogue Argonauts building X-threats of their own. High level corporate or political espionage threatening the stability of the system. Gatecrashing is also always viable. You could be fighting a band of violent/crazy exhumans.

There's tons Firewall might have agents doing other than fighting TITAN crap.
>>
>>46224414
but do the cannibals still make dank memes when they aren't eating people? What do the wasp men scream? I guess my point is asking if the assumption is that these people are totally feral or if they would keep up some pretense of society, modern or otherwise?
>>
File: B1r.png (588 KB, 1073x805) Image search: [Google]
B1r.png
588 KB, 1073x805
>>46221046
I imagine Firewall would always have a use for a guy sleeved in a warship, but you wouldn't be attached to any one Sentinel team for a long time. Most likely you'd be on-call for any teams operating in the general area.
>>
>>46224887
Nah, don't want to do an octopus. I just want a normal humanish character with some async stuff and melee.
>>
>>46225049
Again, depends on the strain. The wasp hives may not even be sapient anymore or coherent enough to do anything but scream in agony and wait for death. The cannibals might regress to animalism. The aliens might build their own weird cities. So it depends on the needs of the game and what strain(s) you use.
>>
File: valles-new shanghai.jpg (280 KB, 1400x675) Image search: [Google]
valles-new shanghai.jpg
280 KB, 1400x675
nine lives has an autistic seed AI for combat psychosurgery on other seed AI. It is possibly the only legitimate weapon against the TITANs, so why are they the only ones noted to have done this. I'd expect every major power, or at least the consortium, to be developing similar weapons, and I'm not sure they are ever mentioned.
>>
>>46225119

Well, with two swords and if you can pass the called shot for armor, you do about as much damage as a 3RB from a pistol, which is relatively silent and permissible by most weapons laws in the system. You'll never beat guys slamming weapons on full auto, but, y'know, that raises a ruckus and causes collateral.
>>
>>46225174
Because you still have a Seed AI running around.

Plus, TITANs could just fuck it up back because they're smarter and more powerful.
>>
>>46225174
Where is Nine Live's Seed AI mentioned? I thought I had read through all the books, and I think I would remember that.
>>
>>46225174
Firewall and OZMA have non-autistic seed AI, so they don't really need it. Everyone else either doesn't want a seed AI or doesn't have the resources to build one.
>>
>>46225174
Two points of order. Nine Lives didn't develop it, they stole it from Cognite. Also, it's not a full seed AI, "just" a very advanced AGI. And Nine Lives isn't likely to hold onto it for long, since it appears solely in an adventure about getting it away from them.
>>46225199
The Devotees adventure.
>>
>>46225199

It's the mcguffin in The Devotees, a AI box which has been heavily shackled and then pruned down a set of basically automated, instant psychosurgery functions which is pretty scary, AWE.
>>
>>46225277
>>46225287
Ah, yeah. I haven't read through all of the adventure modules.
>>
>>46219799
I've definitely seen some minor rules (multiply armour/weapon values by 100, etc) and some ship types, but nothing serious. Problem is I couldn't tell you for the life of me where.

I forget the numbers, but I seem to remember checking out the details on a plasma sail/courier morph and seeing it taking like 3 mionths to get from juptier/saturn to mercury. I might be on crack, though, because astrophysics are not my forte.
>>
>>46225340
It's honestly worth it. A lot of them are pretty interesting.
>>
>>46225277
the gist I got was that it would be a seed AI if it cared at all about recursively improving general intelligence, but it only improves its ability to do psychosurgery
>>
File: Assassin 2.jpg (237 KB, 1012x900) Image search: [Google]
Assassin 2.jpg
237 KB, 1012x900
>>
File: Security Dog Handler.png (1 MB, 1000x1412) Image search: [Google]
Security Dog Handler.png
1 MB, 1000x1412
>>
>>46227072
>TFW indenture
>Sleeved into a cyberdog
>Hyperelite security handler insists on taking the robo knot
>Every single night
>Why me?
>>
>>46227116
>you don't like giving her the roboknot
Are you gay or something?
>>
>>46227116
What, you aren't fitted with special equipment during night time sessions fitted with semen containing sperm designed to make her pregnant with multiple splicers with canine features?
>>
>>46227353
He'd get bored doing it every day. His handler should at least let him have Sundays off.
>>
>>46227435
>getting tired of sex
>ever
AGI detected.
>>
>>46227402
No, just molten carbonate salts. She says it's for refuelling equipment in the field.
>>
>>46227460
Well, maybe just the same position every time. Maybe he wants to jam a female smartdog and be the one taking the knot.
>>
>>46227490
There's plenty of positions. Some are just more awkward than others.
>>
>>46227460
Task hedonist AGIs would never get tired of sex, meatbag.
>>
>>46227511

That's why corp-God invented Limber, all two levels of it.
>>
>>46227521
Except the task they're designed for isn't usually sex. If it were, they'd be doing that rather than being a security dog.

>>46227532
Still have No Manipulators.
>>
>>46227116
You a security dog? Nice.

Just watch out for maniacs with chainsaw hands. They'll wreck you if you're careless.
>>
File: 1431056912128.jpg (225 KB, 707x610) Image search: [Google]
1431056912128.jpg
225 KB, 707x610
>>46209433
>>46209480
>it would have been cuter, but she had to design around the brain capacity
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 99

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.