[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a decent modern-ish system that gives the feel of old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: datfullsize.jpg (467 KB, 1000x1358) Image search: [Google]
datfullsize.jpg
467 KB, 1000x1358
Is there a decent modern-ish system that gives the feel of old school Dungeon-crawling, but without the clunkiness of the retro games, and the meta-narrative fuckery mechanics that are in vogue with newer games like Dungeon World?
>>
>>46163681
Stuff that might be worth looking at:
Streamlined simple retroclones, like LotFP
Barbarians of Lemuria
Torchbearer
Also b/x and becmi DnD are actually pretty simple, it's oDnD and AD&D (particularly 2nd ed) that have the clunky stuff.
>>
File: ghost 1.jpg (168 KB, 640x502) Image search: [Google]
ghost 1.jpg
168 KB, 640x502
>>46163793
>Torchbearer

I've actually been looking through Torchbearer. It's one half stuff I love (light mechanics, focus on survival/the grind and inventory management) and things that are a hard sell to me personally (highly formalized conflict resolution, the Winter Phase, any other of Burning Wheel's more esoteric rules and design choices)
>>
>>46163681
Ask OSR general, this is pretty much all they talk about >>46138411
>>
>>46165868
No.
>>
>>46163681
>clunkiness of the retro games,
this is how I know you've never read one.
>>
Microlite20
>>
>>46168055
2e is pretty clunky, friend. And it had a wide fan base, meaning a lot of people associate D&D with it still.
>>
File: grey_six_build_28.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
grey_six_build_28.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46163681
>>
>>
>>46175326
>2e
>retro game
...I believe I'm called upon to vociferate "Rhee"? I will not, however, do so, seeing as it would be undignified.
>>
>>46168055
Lets be fair here, while clunky as in too many rules is pretty off the mark, it's perfectly accurate to say it about many of the systems in general because of how unpolished and poorly formatted they were.

A lot of old rpgs are such a fucking hassle the minute you need to look something up or get a clear description of something rather than just playing from memory.
>>
>>46163681
Dungeons and Dragons
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.