[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lets talk about monsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
everything goes , classics or own creations. Doesnt matter if implemented as a "race" or simply punching bags for PCs

what kind of traits , characteristics and types do you guys prefer? may it be taste or gameplay-wise

I fucking love myself some dullahans or animated armors and phantom knights
>>
My two favorite types of monsters tend to be:
1. Magical creatures which act in an animalistic manner. Basically, creatures which would evolve in an ecosystem where magic is used for defense, shelter, locomotion, etc.
2. Monsters which are like 'glitches' in reality. Creatures which may or may not be hostile, but cause blatant violations in the laws of physics by simply existing.
>>
>>46165549
>Magical creatures which act in an animalistic manner

I am currently trying to figure this out in a manner that wont break immersion.
like , how would one implement dragons into a functioning ecosystem? considering evolution exists within the setting , how would this affect the evolutionary progress of other animals?
>>
>>46163519
The ones that cause irrational fear reactions.
>>
File: sagari.gif (18 KB, 409x417) Image search: [Google]
sagari.gif
18 KB, 409x417
>>46163519
I'm fond of slimes, worms and other soft monsters. the more it looks like a dangerous snot, the better.
>>
I like it when monsters actually do evil things, rather than just being creatures we're supposed to kill just because they have "evil" written in their stat blocks.
>>
>>46163519
Monsters as in enemies specifically or unusual creatures in general?
>>
>>46166001
Just have the dragons act in a similar manner to crocodilians or varanids. Make them into intelligent (for an animal) apex predators that, while semi social during their juvenile stage or during breeding season, often prefer to keep to themselves whenever possible. Make it that they have an extremely slow metabolism that could allow them to get by on as little as one cow in a year when times are tough, but also have it so they're opportunistic and will readily gorge themselves almost to the point of illness whenever the opportunity presents itself. If you still want them to have a thing for treasure then try and simplify it to them simply liking having shiny shit strewn about their nests like a corvid would.

In terms of how the ecosystem would go the wildlife would likely start to change any migration patterns that they might have until they begin to evolve a means of defense. As for the defenses themselves, it depends on whether or not you're going to have different species of dragons inhabiting different ecosystems.

Or you could just go the Monster Hunter route.
>>
>>46166001
I try to consider magic as a source of energy and as a force that enhances evolution.

Dragons would eat big herbivores, perhaps magical beasts that would otherwise harm humanoids, because those have valuable 'manadipose' tissues, i.e., fat which stores magic.

The ability to fly makes it so they can use a vast hunting ground, including snatching some dolphins from the ocean.

The existence of cattle may have been because ancient humanoids tried to offer dragons something besides themselves to eat.
>>
>>46163519
I like scars and bifurcating jaws.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.