[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pauper General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 7
File: sparksmith.jpg (76 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
sparksmith.jpg
76 KB, 480x680
Pauper General,

I'm sort of poking around and looking into the format and seeing if I might pick up some decks.

I saw an article that described the goblin deck as a sort of board control deck, that used cards like spark smith and death spark to grind through your opponent's board.

It was a pretty old deck though from like 2014, is that style of RDW still viable? Every goblin list I see on mtgtop8 is just these all in aggro decks.

If I were to pick up some decks to have in a bag to play with people, I'd really love it if there was some play to every deck. That older goblin list really did seem to have that, but I'm not sure how good it is today?

Here's the list from the article, it went 4-0 on a pauper premier event;

Lands (18)
18 Mountain

Creatures (31)
1 Goblin Arsonist
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Cohort
3 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Sledder
4 Mogg Conscripts
4 Mogg Raider
4 Mogg War Marshal
3 Sparksmith

Spells (11)
3 Death Spark
3 Flame Slash
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Sylvok Lifestaff

tl;dr is spark smith still worth it in the main?
>>
Can someone explain to me why oh why chainer's edict is worth all these dollars. It's played in like, cube and pauper? Who did the buy ups.
>>
>>46156397
OP, If you don't add "mtg" to the thread subject, it won't appear on people's filters and less people will get here.
>>
>>46156433
Jews.
>>
>>46156433
Some speculators got bored and claimed the card was the best removal ever. You can see on http://www.mtgstocks.com/ how it just suddenly jumps while only being played in pauper. It is much cheaper in Europe tho, I got 3 FMN promo ones for 8 euros.
>>
File: Smiles.png (9 KB, 184x169) Image search: [Google]
Smiles.png
9 KB, 184x169
>59/60 cards foiled for Burn
>>
>>46156397
Why dont you try it and tell us how it went? Its not that expensive to brew.
>>
How come this general is much more quiet than the one we had yesterday?
>>
Gonna build izzet blitz deck, a store here is starting weekly pauper tourneys now. I might make a gauntlet to test, what are the big players of this format? Is there an overview article or something?
>>
Pauper is common only correct? Is there such a thing as pauper standard? I have a small collection that only goes as far back as khans and was wondering if my group of friends (we all started at the same time) can get together some common only decks.
>>
>>46162793
>Pauper is common only correct?

Yes

>Is there such a thing as pauper standard?

Don't see why not, especially if it's only between friends.
>>
>>46162793
there used to be pauper standard events on magic online previously, so if you want you can just make it up. It'll probably play a bit like the formats drafts decks, so you can look at like pro tour 3-0 draft decks for ideas for what should be good combinations of cards. Added bonus of being able to vacuum clean the LGS floor a friday night for all the format staples after the FNM draft.
>>
Any one here played the Freed from the Real combo deck? How does it play? I'm thinking of building it.
>>
>>46162793
There is also pauper commander. An uncommon for your general, with the other 99 as common.
>>
>>46163131
Also called PDH.
I run Tallowisp and Spellheart Chimera as my commanders.
>>
>>46158332
So whats the deal with US with wild card prices?
Do you have like 2 max 3 big sellers that practically run a price cartel?
>>
>>46163570
I don't really know, I live in europe and enjoy the low price of Chainer's, I think the effect just sorta snowballed, like a few started buying it, then many went all in
>>
>>46162642
Because it doesn't appear on people's catalog. For most people it doesn't exist. See: >>46157695
>>
>Start playing MTGO
>Buy Burn netdeck
>Lose constantly
>Make "shitty" Sliver tribal
>12 matches straight won 2-0

What.
>>
My friend wants to get back into magic and I agreed to play with him, both of us are wary of dropping 300ish to wet our feet in the current standard, so we decided on pauper, which seems fun.

What decks should we make? We've both got a 50$ limit. I was thinking ww soldiers for myself, can't be more than 10$ to start.
>>
>>46165134
Pauper decks in that price range are
Goblins
Elves
UW Teachings
U
Acid Trip
WG Slivers
Stompy
Almost everything that doesn't have Chainer's Edict or Chain Lightening.
>>
>>46166039
Not that guy, but Acid Trip looks really fun, but slow. I used to play MBC without edicts back on Cockatrice, but as I might end up switching to MTGO if they're still offering prizes for pauper dailies, I'd like to know what kinda control decks are good fun in Pauper. Would UW teachings make for a less jank deck than Acid Trip?
>>
>>46166390
UW Teachings is less gimmicky and much more consistent. I'd probably rate it the most powerful cheapest top tier pauper deck.
>>
>>>46166390 UW teachings
Explain.
>>
>>46166390
Acid trip is fun, but everyone has stuff for mullriders now
>>
>>46166611
I'm sorry, UB Teachings.
>>
>>46166390
>prizes for pauper dailies
Please elaborate
>>
Why is Slivers winning so much when it's just a shitty tribal aggro deck?
>>
>>46166795
Dailies are no longer.
>>
>>46166825
Well, shit. What am I supposed to do to grind in MTGO now?
>>
>>46166987
Just play casuals. Otherwise you gotta pay.
>>
>>46167126
Sucks. I don't have too much money, and I was hoping I'd be able to raise up some meager funds by playing Pauper in order to make my magic habit more sustainable. What other budget-friendly formats are worth running?

Polite sage, for off topic.
>>
>>46167410
Standard Pauper used to be a thing on MTGO, but no longer. Fairly cheap though in paper cards. All MTGO has events for is modern and standard, as those generate the most revenue. They only keep a section for Pauper because there would be mass outrage.
>>
>>46168508
That's a shame. Those weird, MTGO-specifc formats are what lead me to, go figure, want to play MTGO. Should I just build a basic bitch standard deck and grind from there until I can draft?
>>
>>46168569
You gotta pay in points or tickets to draft.
>>
>>46166673
I was really excited for a moment.

o/ >>46134108 >>46138538 here
The deck usually went off on turn 3 or 4, very occasionally 5.
Otherwise it just never went off.

I ended up making:
>Combo Piece A
4 Freed From the Real

>Combo Piece B
2 Viridian Longbow - Trinket Mage
1 Valakut Invoker - Drift of Phantasms
1 Psionic Gift - Muddle the Mixture
- occasionally couldn't find one of these, but this worked out pretty well

>Combo Piece C
2 Axebane Guardian - Rarely used to combo (too exensive)
4 Arbor Elf - Nice as ramp (with land enchantmen - Occasionally ts), awful for comboing
2 Voyaging Satyr - Great card
2 Wind Zendikon - It's /really/ bad
2 Lifespark Spellbomb - MVP 10/10

>Combo Piece D
3 Fertile Ground - Great ramp
2 Sheltered Aerie - Not great, but it's the next best thing
- counted the bouncelands here when designing the deck (didn't think that through)
- when the deck failed to pull together the combo, it almost always failed here

>Extraneous Ramp Walls
3 Overgrown Battlement - Good ramp
2 Tinder Wall - Amazing card, T3 wins for days, 10/10

>Dig/Tutors/Support
3 Muddle the Mixture (FLGSs were all out, proxied for now)
2 Trinket Mage
3 Drift of Phatasms
1 Commune with the Gods - Generally to expensive

>Land
2 Halimar Depths
1 Island
7 Forest
2 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Evolving Wilds
4 Simic Growth Chamber - The only useful thing this did was recur Halimar Depths
1 Izzet Boilerworks - Works as combo piece D into Valakut Invoker

For now, I'm thinking
-1 Axebane Guardian
-4 Arbor Elf - I might want to cut land for these?
+1 Voyaging Satyr
-2 Wind Zendikon
+1 Lifespark Spellbomb
+1 Fertile Ground
+1 Sheltered Aerie
+2 Tinder Wall
-1 Commune with the Gods
+1 Crop Rotation
+1 Halimar Depths
+2 Thornwood Falls
-4 Simic Growth Chamber
+1 Izzet Boilerworks
>>
Mistyped the original deck (only 57 cards)
There was
+1 Overgrown Battlement
+2 sea Gate Oracle
>>
I don't really know anyone and would like to get my shit pushed in with Pauper. I have no friends on MTGO. Is there an IRC for it?
>>
>>46165134
>>46166039

UW tron is also an option in that price range, I think.
>>
Probably the billionth time that this question has been asked, so don't hate me.

If a card has been released online as common but not in paper, can I play it in a paper Pauper event since the Pauper rules are based on what is common on MTGO?

One of the stores I go to has Pauper for prizes, and I want to discard Circular Logics and Arrogant Wurms to Wild Mongrel
>>
>>46169769
The community is actually split on that matter.
Pauper has no official support in paper, so it depends on the playgroup.
Contact your store and ask them what they allow.
>>
>>46169769
I misread your post.
I thought you were asking about cards that were common in paper, but not online.

The answer is almost certainly "yes",
but it would still be best to ask the store.
>>
>>46169769
Ask the store, there also might be house rules. My LGS has a house ban on Hymm.
>>
>>46159309
What's the last one anon?
>>
>>46170037
This why house rules are fucking stupid.
Follow the MTGO banlist and card pool or you aren't playing Pauper, just some made up horseshit you and your nonexistent friends made up.
>>
Pauper is dead. Learn to shill for Wizards or get out.
>>
>>46169967
It's hard. On the one hand I like the idea of paper Pauper being only cards that have been printed at common in paper. On the other hand I like the idea of Pauper being the same format online as it is in paper.
>>
>>46172899
>want [no online rarities] or [only online rarities]
... but I'm in the [online rarities and offline rarities] camp

>>46169136
Having tested this a bit with proxies, it's /much/ better now.
The Arbor Elves were a great cut, completely necessary for ramping.
Crop rotation only came up once, I'm not sure if it was useful.
A 4th Spellbomb &// Halimar would be nice.
Thornwood Falls were worse than Simic Growth Chamber.
By the time I started topdecking, I usually had the mana to activate Valakut Invoker 2-3 times per turn.

-1 Viridian Longbow
-1 Crop Rotation
-2 Thornwood Falls
+1 Lifespark Spellbomb
+1 Simic Growth Chamber
+1 Izzet Boilerworks
+1 Valakut Invoker

so
4 Freed From the Real
1 Viridian Longbow
1 Psionic Gift
2 Valakut Invoker
1 Axebane Guardian
3 Voyaging Satyr
4 Lifespark Spellbomb
4 Fertile Ground
3 Sheltered Aerie
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Tinder Wall
3 Muddle the Mixture
2 Trinket Mage
3 Drift of Phatasms
3 Halimar Depths
1 Island
7 Forest
2 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Simic Growth Chamber
3 Izzet Boilerworks
>>
completely *unnecessary for ramping.
>>
>When you slide out a win because Curse of the Pierced Heart ticked them for 1 and you could use your last card, a Needle Drop, for the win
>>
>>46156433
>Chainer's edict is 10 bucks
>>46159309
>59/60 cards foiled for Burn

Doesn't spending money go against the goal of Pauper ?
>>
>>46163266
>Spellheart Chimera
Nice. I'm also a fan of running Wall of Denial control as well as just about any of the RTR block guildmages.
>>
>>46174783
Absolutely. You'd find it crazy how these pauper player are goblling up Chainer's Edict and Mono Black now that it's actually fucking expensive. Same goes for Burn. As far as foiling out a Pauper deck, yeah, I can't think of anything more retarded, but remember the player base is mainly of fat smelly autistic social idiots.
>>
>>46174694
Burn is also good against these stupid tron players. They are long dead before they can even get their big bad out.

Why is it called tron and "really fucking boring mana playing until I get the one card I need".

Tron can eat my dick.
>>
Where else besides here and tapped out do people go to compare, share, or critique deck ideas? Tapped it is pretty slow, people just save or browse your deck, and you usually just get ignored or insulted here
>>
>>46164658
Pauper burn is not easy to play because you run out of gas easily, plus you probably ran in to Kitty decks a bunch, which are unbeatable for Burn. Slivers plays itself and is pretty strong.
>>
>>46173448
I have been playing your deck since you posted it in the other thread. Do you really like the Tinder Walls? Doesn´t seem to do much for me.
>>
>>46176082
I've actually had very enjoyable time here. This format not being sanctioned keeps all the standard kids out. The format being so small helps a bit, but also makes every conversation slow.
>>
>Bought the rest of the singles for my Infect deck
>Can't find any Mutagenic Growths for under a dollar

Feels bad man
>>
>>46170473
Mtgo bans hymn as well though.
Hymn is uncommon only on mtgo.
>>
>>46166809
Because if you dont answer each individual sliver as it enters youre fucked. The buffs they all get make them practically invulnerable to burn spells and bounces are useless once there are enough of them. Hard counters prpbably stand the best chance of you dont run out of gas
>>
The only thing that might throw a few people off is that the rarities between gatherer and magiccards.info don't match if you don't know what C1 means
>>
>>46176418
They help Overgrown Battlement and Axebane Guardian,
but 2 extra mana does wonders when you're trying to dump your hand.
It speeds the deck up /a lot/.
>>46173448
>By the time I started topdecking, I usually had the mana to activate Valakut Invoker 2-3 times per turn.
In hindsight, Valakut Guardian seems unnecessary. Combo-ing off with an unenchanted Izzet Boilworks is nice,
but the deck would be more consistent if you just Tinker Mage'd into a Viridian Longbow.
>>
>>46177917
>implying Gatherer handles C1 consistently
>>
Why are people buying Chainers Edict when Diabolic Edict is the same thing.
>>
>>46179597
Geth's Verdict as well
>>
File: angelicpurge.jpg (36 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
angelicpurge.jpg
36 KB, 265x370
This could be really good.
>>
>>46166039
Whats UW teaching like?
>>
>>46172283
I mean was it ever really alive?
>>
>>46179597
Because, from what I understand, the games usually go long enough for the flashback to actually matter.
>>
>>46179742
Play it in kitty or tokens maybe?
>>
>>46179742
Whats it do that oblivion ring doesnt though?
>>
>>46179966
or just sac a spare land
>>
>>46179992
no chance of bringing the exiled shit back?
>>
>>46180001
Youre not always gonna have a spare land though. Id much rather not use that with card disadvantage.
>>
>>46179597
Most creatures are more significant for their abilities than for being creatures.
So instant sped is really only useful insofar as Teachings can be used to tutor Diabolic Edict.
And control decks consistantly drag the game out long enough to flashback Chainer's Edict.
>>46179697
Mono Black Control would rather run Chainer's Edict.
And UB Teachings already has to cast UU and 1B spells back to back,
so it can't afford to stress it's mana base by adding BB spells.
>>46179757
UW Teachings isn't a deck, they probably meant UB Teachings.
UB Teachings is a draw-go control deck.
>>46179742
I could see Boros or Jeskai Kitty running it.
Otherwise it's worse than Oblivion Ring.
>>
>>46180213
To be fair you can tutor for chainer's as well with teachings, but that might've not been your point.
>>
I actually didn't know that chainer's edict was uncommon in paper. That would certainly explain why it's managed to climb up a bit in price.
>>
>>46166039
Isn't the biggest expense of goblins (in paper at least) the bolts?
>>
File: pic related.jpg (295 KB, 960x680) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
295 KB, 960x680
>>>46180535 you can tutor for chainer's as well with teachings
No. No you cannot.
>>
File: FoilsBurn 001.jpg (804 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
FoilsBurn 001.jpg
804 KB, 2304x1728
>>46170309
Flame Rift.

>>46174783
>Doesn't spending money go against the goal of Pauper ?

the goal of pauper is to have fun.
>>
>>46180676
I'm fucking stupid I thought it read flashback not flash.
>>
>>46180601
As it is with Burn decks, as well. However, many 5-0 goblin decks omit them. YMMV.
>>
>>46180749
Get your last rift, anon. You're worth it.
>>
Huge fan of cheap cheap cheap pauper. I have Slivers, Acid trip, and Burn (MTGO burn is under 20 bucks).

Are there any other good top decks that are cheap that aren't control? I hate using control decks.

I'm trying to get my dad into it, and was wondering what a good learning deck would be. White weenie?
>>
>>46181142
Kiln fiend?
>>
>>46181142
green stompy probably!
>>
>>46181182
Is there a delver-less kiln fiend deck? Something that still has 12 creatures?
>>
>>46181340
Stompy is around 45 bucks.
>>
Do you have any experience with pauper standard?

My store ran an event last week, I really annoyed running the sultai grind deck, I'm surprised the format isn't more popular. We scheduled another event for this week.

Any tips on how to improve the UR prowess match up?
>>
>>46181538
What are you serious?
>>
>>46181971
Seems like it's such an underplayed format, there isn't really any meta to it right?
>>
>>46182081
Unless you are using some gimped deck, Mono green Stompy is 45 bucks.
>>
"dice+5d42+23"
>>
>>46182180
Fair enough, what's the costly parts though. Sentinels and rancor? A bunch of almost 1-dollar cards adding up?
>>
>>46182107
As far as I can tell Sultai grind and UR prowess are the tier 1 decks, with several Ally decks all being about tier 2. I don't have much experience though.
>>
>>46182238
Those and Nettle Sentinel.
>>
>>46164658
I have never lost to Slivers
i play a few decks, i dont even play them that well and still, never
>>
>>46170473
anon, try thinking before you slam your face on your keyboard, pls
>>
>>46180038
but you trade a perm for their perm, you'd need a way to get back your perm or sac a super cheap perm for value, or its a 2 for 1 in their favor

>>46179742

what about Tortured Existence
>>
How's this for a "I dont want to pay for chainer's edict or oubliette" MBD?

Creatures - 19
4x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4x Chittering Rats
4x Phyrexian rager
3x Coumbajj Witches
2x Gurmag Angler
2x Fume Spitter

Other Spells - 18
4x Geth's Verdict
4x Sign in Blood
3x Disfigure
2x Tendrils of Corruption
2x Unearth
2x Unmake
1x Pestilence

Lands - 23
4x Barren Moor
19x Swamp
>>
>>46182868
Good for you, retard.

>>46182907
Mad because he's right? Who even plays paper anyway.
>>
>>46183155
People who want to play pauper with friends while drinking something nice and talking about their lives?
>>
>>46183155
but he's not right, anon, hymn isn't legal online
you're not even making sense...
>>
>tfw finished B/G Junk, B/G Zombies and B/G Dredge

Why is B/G the cheapest and coolest color combination in pauper?
I can post decklist if someone asks for it, but I haven't tested them yet.
>>
>>46183480
>>46183480
Is BG dredge tortured existence grind
>>
>>46183533
No, it uses cards like Grisly Savage and Commune with the Gods to fill the graveyard, so I can cast stuff like Angler very early on.
I want to build Tortured Existence next, but the price went up recently and I'd rather build non-pauper for the moment.
>>
Remember to use MTGO card pool and banlist so you don't separate the already small community, thanks, asshats.
>>
>>46184059
>tfw have to use Mind Wrench instead of Hymn

Stupid MTGO. I wish Pauper was a sanctioned format in paper.
>>
>>46183131
>Unmake
I completely forgot that card existed. Thanks for giving me my Oubliette replacement.
>>
>>46184610
If it was legal on paper probably hymn would have to go. With hymn in the format it's just a completely different thing than what mtgo pauper is now.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.