[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I hope I can explain this tight ... I want to insert in my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1_murloc_rpg.jpg (25 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
1_murloc_rpg.jpg
25 KB, 400x240
So, I hope I can explain this tight ... I want to insert in my setting some facets that will present the world to my new players who are mainly familiar with computer RPGs.

I want to avoid people being upset if they get a responce from my environment that they could get away with in an RPG.

I'd like to ask for some ideas for these things because I'm starting to DM for a group of utter (yet nice) noobs that pretty much know only computer RPGs.

One thing I came up with are bounties in villages. The point of bounties is to offer PCs quest (sometimes. for low-lvl-renegades), but mainly to show then that murderhobos (hurr durr I stab the inkeeper) are hunted down and punsihed.

What else should I include?

thanks
>>
>>46155774
>I want to avoid people being upset if they get a responce from my environment that they could get away with in an RPG.
So you literally want 0 consequences.
>>
You are strange, and might possibly be a robot. That's cool though, because I like robots.

But really, as far as "things to make players realize it's an actual world and not just a computer simulation," all you need to do is have everyone react like people do.

Stab the innkeeper? Explain that the other people in the inn will call the guards and they'll be arrested, and it's not a good idea.

Being as direct as possible tends to be the best way of communicating with new players. Subtlety can come later.
>>
>>46155798
Heh good point.

I'd just like to avoid conflict. I'll do Session 0 and talk setting out but I think such things may come handy too.

>>46155800

>Subtlety can come later.

Roger. makes lots of sense.
>>
>>46155800

In my last game I honestly just let them fuck their own shit up.

Oh, you think it's a great idea to kill the blacksmith because he won't sell his sword cheap enough? Go ahead, let's see what'll happen when you pull out your knife. Oh what, you thought he'd just give you the sword in his hands?

They consistently didn't get the concept, however. I forget exactly what happened, but that shop ended up catching fire. There wasn't a second session.
>>
>>46155774
>One thing I came up with are bounties in villages. The point of bounties is to offer PCs quest (sometimes. for low-lvl-renegades), but mainly to show then that murderhobos (hurr durr I stab the inkeeper) are hunted down and punsihed.

You might be surprised at how many groups have this problem. There are two solutions.

1) Try to show the players the consequences of their actions. If they stab an innkeeper, the guards are called. If they stab the guards, the knights are called. They aren't high enough level to take on the knights, so they all get killed while the knights are trying to arrest them, and all the players get mad at you for "killing their characters". Depending on their temperments, they may choose to stop playing.

2) Talk to your players before the game starts, and explain that you aren't just simulating a CRPG engine. Tell them that their actions will have consequences, because you will be making sure that the NPCs act like real people and not sprites with predetermined paths and dialogue options.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.