[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make my players check some parts of an scenario? Suppose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: 1455715553960.jpg (865 KB, 1717x1145) Image search: [Google]
1455715553960.jpg
865 KB, 1717x1145
How do I make my players check some parts of an scenario?

Suppose they arrive at a place and in one room there is something that they shouldn't encounter (in character, like a freaky truth) but that I want them to discover
I can't trust that their curiosity will be enough
>>
If it doesn't look like they're going where thing X is, but you really want them to see it, move X to wherever they actually go.
>>
Really trying to not be an ass here...

But this is literal first grade shit. Do like anon said and move the thing, or provide interesting clues leading to X, or shift around the dungeon so it happens naturally, or make noises coming from X room...

Like seriously? If you can't think of how to do this on your own, you shouldn't be in charge of a collective creative story. Leave the GMing to someone with an ounce of creativity.
>>
>>46155079
Im srunk right now
>>
File: Owlbear chicub.jpg (28 KB, 580x497) Image search: [Google]
Owlbear chicub.jpg
28 KB, 580x497
>>46154988

Stick legs on the horrible truth and have it attempt to eat them.
>>
File: 1457647999166.jpg (1 MB, 900x1127) Image search: [Google]
1457647999166.jpg
1 MB, 900x1127
>>46154988
1) Create tension. The players will be looking for clues when the pressure is on. Pace your narration and they'll pick up on urgency when it looms.

2) Use dissonance. Something that doesn't fit the pattern stands out. The noble in the harbor dive, the cactus in the rose garden, the scroll in the library of bound books...

3) Use spotlight. Players pay more attention to what the GM spends effort on than to what the story itself suggests. If there's a tavern full of NPCs and only one has a full name, if there's a grid map for the coincidental location, if there's a challenge uniquely suited to a PC skill, that kind of gives it away. But in a way that is totally okay and that breaks nobody's suspension of disbelief.

4) If nothing else helps, be obvious.
>Do you /really/ want to open the door without inspecting it first?
>Is /anyone/ looking at the tapestry?
>So you couldn't force the latch open, are you going to try any /other/ ways?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.