[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tg/, I'm planning on running a one shot with my group
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 18
File: Everyone is John.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Everyone is John.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Sup /tg/, I'm planning on running a one shot with my group using Everyone is John. What experiences has /tg/ had with it? Fun for a couple hours?
>>
File: 1405766824482.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1405766824482.webm
2 MB, 480x360
I'll post some set ups other people came up with for Everyone is John

>John wakes up in a strange room, not long later a guy in a suit walks in and asks him to sign some kind of bill because John is the president

>John wakes up with an ak47 in his hands pointed at a gagged man's head while some suspicious Arabs scream at a camcorder mounted to a goat, John was about to do a TV execution for ISIS

>John wakes up inside a dark house wearing a balaclava with a knife, john is a burglar

>John wakes up staring at a blank book in a grandiose stone room and is then summoned to a wizard meeting with his peers to discuss his findings, John is an archmage that read the Necronomnicon
>>
File: Payday Pubs.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Payday Pubs.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>John is going up in an elevator with four heavily armed men, just as the doors are about to open one of them says "remember, no Russian"

>John wakes up around creepy looking men some wearing cartoon pony costumes, John finds out he too is wearing one, John is a pony forum moderator at a my little pony convention

>John stands facing a wrecked white door with a fire axe, on the other side is a screaming woman with a knife, Jon is in The Shining

>Everyone is Joker

>John wakes up in a nice bed in a nice house with a nice family. John is living in a suburban nightmare
>>
Se had a lot of fun with "John is the North Korea great leader".
>>
File: Starting a campaign.webm (2 MB, 310x176) Image search: [Google]
Starting a campaign.webm
2 MB, 310x176
>John wakes up discovering he is a cult leader, about to give a speech on their upcoming greatest achievement

>John wakes up in a stalled car in the middle of the field. On the passenger side are 5 passports of different nationalities and identities, 25k in different currencies, two pistols, and the severed head of a goat.

>John wakes up in line at airport security, he has a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist. He is being asked by security staff to either remove the briefcase or go with them for further inquiry.
>>
File: Look out sir!.jpg (84 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
Look out sir!.jpg
84 KB, 600x411
>John wakes up on a charging horse, clad in armor and holding a lance as a knight in black armor charges him down to the roar of a crowd

>John wakes up in a supermarket as a customer's head spins around and screams about swallowing his soul

>John wakes up naked on stage
>>
File: PCs crash a family dinner.webm (3 MB, 1280x533) Image search: [Google]
PCs crash a family dinner.webm
3 MB, 1280x533
>John wakes up in line at a government building toying with a detonator

>John wakes up leading a team of special forces into a terrorist compound

>John wakes up in a surgery room with bewildered doctors looking down at him

>John wakes up in bed with an alien
>>
File: 1448944323555.png (956 KB, 1000x1179) Image search: [Google]
1448944323555.png
956 KB, 1000x1179
> John wakes up with a plasma cutter slashing open a door with a scientist screaming about the monster behind them

> John wakes up in a tent with a man announcing he's been healed by the power of Jesus

> John wakes up with a weight on his chest at the head of a table filled with very stern men and armed bodyguards staring daggers at him
>>
This game is so fucking brilliant
>>
What kind of goals have your "voices" had?

>eat pennies
>promote the teachings of Karl Marx
>ride a skateboard
>>
>>46155562
Sorry, that last one was
>do sick skateboard tricks
>>
>>46154918
The podcast One Shot played a few games of Everyone is John and all of them are funny. I try to run all of my EiJ games like them.
>>
>>46155562
Nazis.

Lots of Nazis.
>>
File: 1458337436039.jpg (241 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1458337436039.jpg
241 KB, 1600x900
>John wakes up with a fist being driven right into his nose. The attacker is shirtless, as is John, and the crowd of people watching. John is pic related.

>John is awoken once a sack has been removed from his head. Nobody cared who he was before he put on the mask. John is Bane
>>
>John wakes up and takes his pills. John is a standard member of society.
>>
>>46155562
I collected baby fingers. Got access to a maternity ward and went bite-happy.
>>
>>46155224
>John wakes up inside of a dark office room, with the windows boarded up and the electricity out. He tries to figure out what's happening.

>John is an electrician aboard an ocean liner, and he wakes up as all communications are severed following a capsizing of the vessel.

>John wakes up as fifty dollars are handed to him, and he is ordered to buy supplies for the most daring heist in history.

>John is an after-hours cleaning guy when the business he's cleaning is broken into by elite special forces units.
>>
>>46155562
>punch a cop
>>
>>46154918
Introduced it fairly well to three friends (though after starting one decided to sit it out.

>John wakes up in a small office kitchenette; going through the door, he discovers he's in an Amazon distribution warehouse.
>>
>>46155562
Lick old people's faces
Swim in feces
Set people on fire (Ended with detonating a gas station)
Serial killer
Personal favourite was suicide by cop
>>
>>46155562
>Bleed on people
>Arson
>>
I've had some pretty fun games.

I usually have my players start with three random objects on them for them to use however they see fit. Duct tape, a box of paper clips, a fake moustache, a toy gun etc.

Some settings i've had them wake up at was in a church during a wedding, at a military base, in a small farmer town and in a TV studio.
>>
Have you ever played an actual mystery or a dungeon with EiJ? Or is it just all PvP for you?
>>
>John wakes up at a stage, in front of ~60 liches. John is the entertainment at a lich conference and is the only living person in the room
>>
We have a tradition of playing Everyone is John with people's Dark Heresy or Call of Cthulhu characters when they reach that sanity threshold to see how things play out.
>>
I try to bump.
>>
File: 1426118468678.jpg (38 KB, 222x266) Image search: [Google]
1426118468678.jpg
38 KB, 222x266
>John wakes up in a bullet riddled ford focus, a 30 litre container of horse semen is in the passenger seat
>>
File: 1415805658926.jpg (215 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1415805658926.jpg
215 KB, 1024x576
>>46156199
I don't know why I read that as playing Evangelion is John
>>
File: Americansonholiday.jpg (25 KB, 549x326) Image search: [Google]
Americansonholiday.jpg
25 KB, 549x326
>John fell asleep on a bus. When he wakes up he is handed a hat and asked to drive the train
>>
I liked this premise when it was called Everyone is Scott Bakula.
>>
>>46159106
You are confused. It's:

Captain Archer is everyone
>>
>John wakes up the runway of a small private airfield, below a two-seater airplane sporting a few bulletholes and surrounded by suitcases full of cocaine and one dead lemur. John is a member of a bugfuck cartel.
>>
>john wakes up in a cul-de-sac full of kids. Two of them are trying to get you to help them scam kids for jaw breakers.
John is either Ed, Edd,or Eddy
>>
Is there a good play through for this game I could watch?
>>
>>46159671
Oneshot Podcast has some recorded episodes that are pretty good, especially their Everyone Is Joker episode, but it's a podcast so you wouldn't;'t be able to 'watch' it, as such.
>>
>>46155844
John wakes up, standing in front of a plane, just as a jeep with prisoners arrives. John is CIA
>>
>>46155562
Dine and Dash
Punt a small dog
Cosplay as a pokemon and burn strangers while shouting "charizard! charizard!
>>
>>46155562
I confess that I haven't actually played EiJ before but I think Kick puppies, Steal office chairs and build a fort out of them and FIRE ZE MISSILES ought to be good.
>>
>>46158673
I'd play the shit out of that game.

I've also been marathoning Eva recently but hopefully not to the extent to warping irl personal perceptions and at fields.
>>
One of my players got around 3000 points for crashing a plane into the white house and another one (though I did kinda give it to him) about 3m for launching a nuke at moscow. What's your group records lads?
>>
>>46154918
>John wakes up in a portapotty, the sound of carnival music can be heard outside
>>
>>46154918

John is naked except for a a g string with 50 dollars tucked into it, carrying a silenced sniper rifle and a medium sized terrier, running through a snow covered forest near Moscow. In the distance he can hear voices in Russian - they're looking for someone.

John has no idea what he is.
>>
>>46154918
Played it as my Christmas one-shot before my Uni TTRPG society broke up for the holidays.

>John wakes up in the middle of his day job as a Mall Santa...with a child on his lap.

Was a good laugh
>>
File: 1376787613943.gif (2 MB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
1376787613943.gif
2 MB, 450x254
>>46162014
>>
>John wakes up in a giant steel cage with 6 other men surrounded by hundreds of cheering observers
>John is champ
>>
>>46155562

>Get psychiatric help right away because something is terribly wrong
>>
File: 1458452601011.png (260 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1458452601011.png
260 KB, 500x491
>Not allowed to host EIJ anymore as led one voice to fuck a dog
With an aim like 'fuck bitches, get money' what else do you expect?
>>
>>46155224
God damn, these edits have never failed to make me laugh.
>>
>>46155562
Sell children
Eat children
Rescue children

They had butt heads a bit
>>
>become the hobo king

>kidnap a midget

>you must kill the demons
>>
i was thinking about doing a 1 on 1 where when one of us wrest control the other becomes gm and we switchback and forth. Has anyone dine this, could it work? I have one friend a ways away i visit every couple weeks and i dont wabt to put him off role play with a shit session
>>
>>46164325
I had my wife run a game with some board gaming friends (the handcuffed to a locked briefcase in an airport one).

Never thought I would hear her say to another man
>can you achieve/maintain an erection to fuck the tiger cub?
>now let's see if you can fit it in

That tiger was stuck on John for the next several minutes, as the next player to take over couldn't be bothered to remove the animal put pants back on.

She claims if the guy had rolled a 6 when trying to joyride the baggage cart as the anti-terror squad was firing, she would let the tiger take the wheel. Alas,instead he crashed and died.

>traumatic insemination of an animal achieved
>>
>>46171464
Did your wife's son play?
>>
Anyone have the pdf perchance?
>>
File: 1452576910799.png (329 KB, 540x637) Image search: [Google]
1452576910799.png
329 KB, 540x637
>>46172850
It's the OP image.
>>
>>46172953
Ah, my bad. Thanks!
>>
>Become a professional magician

>Steal people's keys and discard them, hoarding away the keyring

>Commandeer a live talk show and flash your junk.
>>
>>46155562
among the ones memorable enough to note down that I've had
>live the pleasant life of a not-too-ripe banana
>suplex the local head of the catholic church
>let the wind whip my genitals atop the highest place
>restore the might of the Christian Occident
>have a manservant and abuse him horribly
and lastly, a player who once just wrote "FANTOMAS" as his objective. The game ended with John trying to scare trucks off the interstate while wrapped in a shit and blood stained tablecloth stolen from the german embassy.
>>
>>46154918
>John wakes up in a coffin, with the lid open. There is a funeral service in progress, and several onlookers are crying. A women stares at you in disbelief as you get up out of your coffin. As you inspect yourself, you are wearing a Hawaiian flower button up t-shirt, and boxers. In your casket sits an M16, with one clip of ammo, a hunting knife, and 10 wadded up $20 bills. People start to run away while the woman collapses to the ground crying. The pastor clutches his chest, and falls down. You think you can hear sirens in the distance.
>>
Can this game be played on this board easily? With Skype and this board already having dice it should be easy.

Has this been done before?
>>
>>46173595
Everyone is John is often cited as one of the main inspirations for quests.
>>
I've never played a game where John doesn't have at least a three person body count.
>>
>>46173613
It also causes erectile dysfunction, yeast infections, and persistent BO.
>>
>>46155562
>Collect the heads of his enemies
>Asphyxiate people while breastfeeding them
>Throw tennis balls to people's groins

And a few more that involved killing and maiming.
>>
>>46159671
There's a youtube channel called Tabletop Talk, and they've played a game of it, would recommend/10
>>
>>46163752
>not John is Cena
>>
>>46161147
John is the Boss from Saint's Row.
>>
>john wakes up in a space station dressed as a clown
>>
>>46179635
Wow - this is actually good.

Players have to know SS13 well though.
>>
>>46154918
Its pretty fun. I remember in one of my games, one if John's voices was donkey from shrek, and the skill he picked was surgery, and in his short time alive he preformed surgery on himself to make himself look like shrek (his goal was become shrek). That John ended up jacking off in a subway. He came just as the cops arrived to see the horror, and then he got plowed by the oncoming train and died.
>>
File: Everyone is John McClain.jpg (733 KB, 3508x2480) Image search: [Google]
Everyone is John McClain.jpg
733 KB, 3508x2480
Rule proposal:

Before chargen the GM spoils a few boundaries for the setting in order to aid the players with defining obsessions.
>nature not people
>city crowds
>building filled with employees
>campus during session
>battlefield

The GM can be as vague as seems fitting. The only intention is to have obsessions that aren't total non starters, like the social obsession in a wilderness setting, or the firearms obsession in a world where firearms will have to be invented first.

I mean you can solve the same problem by simply having the GM veto obsessions until one matches. They'll still have to. But this is more fun, with foreshadowing, and early strategizing.

Whadayathink?
>>
>>46155844
>Everyone is John's Aching Sense of Self
>>
I got kicked out of my RPG group after having "rape" as one of my goals and the GM's girlfriend got offended.

I still rate EIJ 9/10. Could be improved if the tokens were done away with, it takes extra time to find them and while the bidding is fun I prefer a contested roll for each will contest because a lot of times people just bid no tokens because some fucktard got John into a retarded sitaution and now no one wants control of him.

Literally have had to do a roll off to resolve who got John. We instead switched to the same premise and skill / goal rules except for the game ending when the first person got to 10 points instead of running out of willpower. Or if John died.

Also had to introduce combat rules where enemies hit john on a 5 to 6 and john has 3 hp. This means he can get shot or beat up 3 times before dying. Falling off a building or into lava, or being hit by a car >30 mph, is instant death. That's kind of an unofficial house rule though and we barely even follow it.

Rule became necssary after John bit many babies to death and the SWAT team hunted him down in the parking garage with ARs and shotguns. He still took out a couple guards by driving cars into them (some one had the hotwire skill) but in the end he was shot to death.
>>
>>46180542
>John opens his eyes and sees a demon grinning down at him
"Yeah, dude. No more purgatory. Sucks for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zngbjg_xYSI
>>
>>46169551
Don't. It won't be any fun as a 1 on 1, it's designed as a five man party game.
>>
>>46158673
>John wakes up sitting in a chair wearing glasses and clasping his hands in front of his face. Strange, cute women seem to be in positions of authority and a giant octagonal based UI is flashing "Blood Type: Blue. Angel Identified."
>>
>john wakes up in a new bugatti
>>
>>46181525
GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
>>
>john wakes up mid air, he's just set the new pole vaulting record at the Olympic games.

>john wakes up, the president of the united states is lying in front of him with his chest open, john is preforming open heart surgery.

>john wakes up, his cellmate asks him what he's in for.
>>
>>46183857
Goal-Get Shinji to run away
>>
>>46181290
>it's designed as a five man party game.
Do you think it can work as a 4 man with one being DM?
I've got an idea planned to incorporate the basic idea of EiJ, but not introducing the players to it. You tell the players the setting is real life, but to make any character they want, using a few stats they can decide for themselves and a few goals and trigger situations. Then once they've got their characters you drop the bomb that they're all voices in John's head, dropped straight into a scenario with the barest of backdrop necessary for John to be involved.
>>
>>46185803
Sure, just remember it is a *party game* not a serious game you can play for more than one session, rotating GM is intended. If you like the idea that much then don't use the everyone is john system. Have you even read the single page of rules at all? :u
>>
>>46154918
I ran one with two players awhile back, one had an obsession of dressing up in a suit and ass-less chaps and singing Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight" in public, and the other would hunt and disembowel animals and leave them on the doorsteps of vegetarians.
>>
>>46186948
Both worthwhile hobbies for a serial killer.
>>

>>
>>46188751
I agree
>>
>>46155562
Contract HIV.
>>
>>46154949
god that fucking video
>>
>>46154918
I read in a thread ages past about a game where John was an airport security guard and had to Groundhog Day his way to prevent a terrorist attack

It was better than I'm making it sound
>>
File: johnTSA.png (641 KB, 978x3028) Image search: [Google]
johnTSA.png
641 KB, 978x3028
>>46193527
Ah, yes. It's a work of art. I wish my GM was this creative.
>>
File: snap-00030.png (283 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
snap-00030.png
283 KB, 720x404
>>
Everyone is JohnNy the homicidal maniac
>>
>>46154933
from what game is the webm?
>>
>John wakes up in a big sauna with twenty other people. All are desperately banging on the door to get out.

>John wakes up in a surfboard, wearing a flower necklace and with a six foot wave approaching. John is Hawaii's surf champion

>John wakes up on an angry bull charging through the streets of a dusty city. John is a cowboy.

>John wakes up with a pistol in hands, on a boat, speeding down one of the many water ways of Venice. John is a CIA agent and the mission's going wrong.

>John wakes up playing the violin alongside a band, while panicked people are all around. John is in the Titanic.

>John wakes up as a booming voice counts down from ten and then blasts him into space with six other people. John is an astronaut.
>>
>>46164325
One of my players literally had "rape a prepubecent child" as his goal. At the same time, another player had "put on a magic show" as a goal.

Needless to say, things did not go well.
>>
>>46155562
>Vandalize buildings to read "fuck the mayor"
>Pick successively larger things up
>find yeti
The last one lead to becoming Bros with a yeti and waking up at various significant points on its life, becoming a godson to its child, and holding its hands on its death bed to truly "find" the yeti.
>>
>>46199163
Needless to say, you totally fucked up chargen as a GM.
>>
>>46199266
Most of our sessions of EiJ play like an extended "aristocrats" joke. It just feels incomplete unless someone at the very least fingers a puppy.
>>
>>46199440
Such failed potential is depressing.
>>
>>46194914
Huh, that's a neat idea, I'll have to try a time-loop thing in our PF game next time someone can't make it and we have a filler session.
>>
>>46158673
Neon Johnises Evangelion: John gets in the robot edition
>>
What was your most fun/useful/useless/out there skill you've had or seen?
>>
>just
>>
We need a doc aquatic d100 table for Everyone is John scenarios. Theres a bunch in the thread but I'm lazy.

Do have this though.

>select all boats
>>
>>46154918
>John is standing over a bound man, holding a bloodied pair of pliers. The man says "Mleese, I dom kno where i' iss. Jus lemmo o" around a mouthful of blood and teeth.
>>
>>46198832
one of the Yakuza games
>>
>>46201749
End of Eva suddenly makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>46194914
this is fucking amazing
>>
>>46194914
That's the one! Many thanks, Anon
>>
>>46183795
Underrated post
>>
>>46154918
It's quite a bit of fun, just remember to 'fail forward'. Very important, since people will do quite a bit of failing. I tend to completely improvise when playing myself, since it's so wild and goofy anyway. I also do a houserule where everyone creates 2 obsessions, and either passes one to the left, right, or distributed randomly. Good fun to see people try to interpret other's obsessions.
>>
>>46155562
>Do him an egg
>>
>>46194914
This is it! That's what inspired my game idea! >>46185803

I want to make a time loop game about keeping a wedding from going crazy when there's a mobster host and about 6 outside gangs trying to kill him/wreck the place.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.