[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pitons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1280px-Chiodi-roccia-morbidi.jpg (518 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Chiodi-roccia-morbidi.jpg
518 KB, 1280x960
Everyone says their characters carry at least 50 feet of rope.

What are you using to attach that rope to things?
>>
>>46153194
I always carry pitons, a tarp, and occasionally a rescue 8.
>>
Just grab the rope and punch it into the wall really hard.
Gets it stuck in there pretty consistently.

Not that it's a big hazard if the rope falls out.

You're playing a monk, right?
>>
>>46153194
I do carry pitons. I'm not stupid.

And if I think I'm going to do a lot of climbing I'll carry crampons too.

Depending on the setting I'll have microwire, grapnel, auto rappel, and the always handy gecko gloves and jikka tabi.
>>
>>46153194
magic
>>
File: Stopdigging.jpg (33 KB, 490x277) Image search: [Google]
Stopdigging.jpg
33 KB, 490x277
>>46153194
other players.
when half the party can't move around a pit trap (literally just a covered hole in the ground) having a player as an anchor as you drag yourself out is very useful.
>>
>>46153194
My dick
>>
I always carry a tarp above my pack, a fishing webbing hung around my pack, along with a winter blanket (a bed roll isn't enough to stay a cold night).

My equipment always taken into a dungeon is rope, a clutch of pitons, a small pouch filled with flour, a 10-foot pole made of 4 detachable pieces, a dagger, pick axe, a spool of string, a small bell, extra lamp oil, and a torch. there's more, but that's the most important stuff.
>>
>>46153194
who needs those when you have a grappling hook?
>>
>>46154339
grappling hooks and pitons serve two different purposes, and frankly a piton will be far more useful if you have even a basic level climbing ability.

You'd use a grappling hook to climb short distances you could safely ascend without gear. Pitons are for when you need to climb a large distance, say past the 50 foot rope limit, where you will inevitably need a piton to tie yourself off to rest, and to tie another rope and continue climbing.
>>
>>46153194
Magic.
>>
File: c91.jpg (57 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
c91.jpg
57 KB, 680x684
>>46153194
>character creation
>see that pitons are available as something you can purchase
>ask the GM what is that
>he doesn't know either but makes an offer, most likely joking
>accept
>mfw I started the game with 20 snakes
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.