[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey all, Getting back into painting minis after a decade+ long
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: paints.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
paints.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
Hey all,

Getting back into painting minis after a decade+ long hiatus. Going to sell off some unopened 40k stuff to buy some paints since the GW ones I bought 10 years ago are dry.

Trying to decide between Vallejo and Reaper at the moment, since GW is stupidly expensive, though I might look at some of their washes. I am going to check tomorrow but I don't think that there's anywhere in my city that carries Vallejo or Reaper so I'll have to order and when I do I'll go with one or the other.

Most of what I'll be painting are Warhammer Fantasy humans, and maybe some 40k marines at some point.

What I'm looking for are some good base colours to begin building a paint arsenal with, but it's been so long.

I am thinking:

Black
White
Buff/Linen (offwhite)
Flesh (Shadow, mid, highlight--or could I get away with mid & highlight)
Green (Probably a triad, or mid and highlight)
Blue (same as above?)
Brown (Triad for leather and stuff)
Red

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
>>
VALLEJO AIR
A
L
L
E
J
O

A
I
R

Best shit ever.

GW actually do a decent red. I just prefer Vallego cause it's cheaper. Also dropper bottles are amazeballs.
>>
>>46148623

Vallejo Air > Vallejo Model > Vallejo Game = Reaper

Air and Model have all the important colors. Game and Reaper will have the brighter cartoony colors in case you play Daemons or Slaanesh or Empire/Bretonnia.
>>
>>46148691

So the Air line is just optimized for air guns, I can use it with brush no problem?
>>
>>46148676

You're not the first person to tell me to stick to GW reds, especially over Reaper.

I am hoping that the local place carries Vallejo, I'd really like to not have to order it. And yeah, the dropper bottles seem like a huge plus.
>>
>>46148757

It's supposed to be but it actually needs a little bit of thinning to run through some airbrushes.

It's great for brushing on because it's already so thin so you don't really need to thin it at all. It also has the best metallics in Vallejo barring the alcohol based Liquid Gold.
>>
>>46148808

Cool, I'll keep that in mind when I check the local place out. Thanks.
>>
>>46148779
GW red is just extremely vibrant and rich. I found Vallejo reds to be a little orangish at times and reaper doesn't have as nice coverage.

Most places at least have a vallejo connect as they do a lot of different paints for different niches so ask around if you don't see any in stock.

>>46148808
Also this. The Air brand is nice and thin straight out of the bottle and the metals are ace though I haven't used them much since I'm trying to use up my old metals first.
>>
>>46148623
I prefer Reaper myself, my current selection is a mix of Reaper and Vallejo. Vallejo Air metallics are awesome. I find that Reaper paints out of the bottle are more thin than Vallejo, although that might depend on where you are located. I started with Vallejo and slowly gravitated towards Reaper as working with their triad colors makes blending a little easier. The only real problem I've encountered with Vallejo is every once in awhile I'll shake the bottle getting ready to use it, just wanting a small dot to paint, when I open the bottle paint will gush out. It really only seems to happen when I need the tiniest amount of paint. Just an annoyance really. Also while I only have a couple bottles of Vallejo Game Color, I'm really not impressed, they just haven't worked out well for me.
>>
>>46150369
Forgot to add, when I say in my experience Reaper tends to be more thin out of the bottle, I'm talking in comparison to Vallejo Model Color and Game Color, the Air paints that Vallejo makes are really great. Very thin, and as I mentioned before I'm a huge fan of Model Air metallics.
>>
>>46148691
Vallejo Game Air > Vallejo Model Air > Vallejo Model Color > Vallejo Game Color
>>
>>46150562

Fuck off brightfag, everyone knows it's

Vallejo Model Air > Vallejo Game Air > Vallejo Model Color > Vallejo Game Color
>>
>>46148623
GW's washes and technical paints are really good, but for most colors, yeah, you want Vallejo
>>
File: TAPWP8005.jpg (265 KB, 1337x1000) Image search: [Google]
TAPWP8005.jpg
265 KB, 1337x1000
>>46148623
>10 years absence
There's new brands to consider too.
>>
>>46151341

I like AP but I would only use them for their primers and the paints that match the primers, as well as their colored inks.
>>
>>46151480
The value of the pack and having a consistent whole all-in-one set is also pretty nice.
>>
>>46151929

The paint isn't terrible either. Comes in droppers and when thinned with a good thinner like Vallejo is serviceable. Certain colors like black are absolutely great, very thin yet very high in coverage. Other colors like the white are terrible, basically Ceramite White without the clumping issues. Other colors like the one I use to match the primer is random. Some bottles are great other bottles are kind of thick like Vallejo, and the grey likes to separate.
>>
OP while you're out buying the Vallejo paints get yourself some Vallejo thinner, and use it on your old GW paints, stir with paperclip or some such object and reclaim those old paints!
>>
>>46152044
Their black is unreal. The white was just OK, but their black is an infinite void.
>>
>>46152605
>use AP matt black as chapter's primary color

I AM THE NIGHT
>>
>>46148779
I've bought vallejo Gory Red which was supposed to be something like Mephiston Red. I kinda looked like one "in bottle". When I mixed it on pallete, colour was similar to beetroot - not even close to red.
>>
What would be some good paints for Caucasian-y skin tones? Any real way to do rosey facial features without making them look all rouge?
>>
>>46150562
>>46150629

You can't compare Air and non Air. Air colors tend to be much, much more transparent. This is not a problem for an airbrush but it is when you have to use a brush.

You also get less paint, since it's very thin.
>>
>>46154021
I forgot to say that excludes metallic paints, which should ALWAYS be Air
>>
>>46154021

It's not a problem when you use a brush either. You're not supposed to get full coverage in a single pass.
>>
>>46154217
But you are supposed to get a full coverage in 5
>>
>>46154261

I've gotten full coverage of VMA white in around 5 coats on top of german grey so I don't know what you're doing wrong. Three coats already starts looking near solid.
>>
>>46154261
Stop trying to paint bright colours over black undercoat.
>>
File: 00618-1027-3ww-l[1].jpg (20 KB, 221x600) Image search: [Google]
00618-1027-3ww-l[1].jpg
20 KB, 221x600
>I might look at some of their washes
Don't bother; they're just paint, acrylic medium, and (distilled) water. Mix your own (I'd start with a third of each or so).
>>
>>46152602

Sorry for the slow reply, but do you think this would work after 10+ years? I still have the pots, but some of them are pretty hard.
>>
>>46155895
Depends on the lid.
Regular screwtop dies the fastest, Fliptop is better, twisttop droppers have nearly infinite shelf life.
>>
>>46155156
Stop trying to use airbrush paint as normal paint
>>
>>46156663

Most of the ones I have that are dried were screwtop, but I think there are a few flips. Maybe worth a try to buy the thinner, who knows.
>>
>>46152602
>>46155895
If you can sit them you're ok; adding thinner won't get you anywhere if you're chunky, though (and you wouldn't want to add thinners anyway; you need acrylic medium). Once the medium's dried away, they're done, nothing but plastic left, basically.
>>
>>46157583

I looked at them a week or two ago, I'm pretty confident they're completely gone, some more than others, but even the newer ones are almost plastic.
>>
Thoughts on P3 formula paints? the ones of warmachine. i have found they have some nice colors like the coal black and jack bone
>>
>>46148808

Keep in mind, pre-thinned paint = less paint
>>
>>46148623

So I checked out that one other game store in my city and it turns out the guy carries Vallejo Air and Model, but no Game.

I figure I can probably get all I need from those lines + reds and washes from GW.

The online site I was going to order from was $3.79 Canadian and free shipping if you buy $50+, the store here sells for $4.22 Canadian. Ultimately if I ordered 15 bottles of paint I'd only save 8 bucks or so with tax factored in, so I'll probably just buy them here.
>>
>>46153490
>without making them look all rouge?
It's spelled, oh, wait. Rouge is actually right for once on /tg/.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.