[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Podcasts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
File: harmontown_baloneyfraise.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
harmontown_baloneyfraise.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Are there any good RPG podcasts?
>>
>>46144280
Magic Mics and Magic the Ameturing are good if you like MTG
>>
>>46144280
Nope. Couple not entirely terrible ones, but nothing actually good.
>>
>>46144280
System Mastery. Also, do not listen to >>46144341 as he is wrong and dumb.
>>
>>46144328
>>46144426
Thanks!
>>46144341
What are the not entirely terrible ones then?
>>
>>46144455

My personal favorite is Happy Jack's RPG Podcast. Buncha drunk fuckers bullshitting around a mike - it feels just like you're listening in on the conversations that happen around a table anywhere in the world.
>>
>>46144280
The one from your pic. Harmontown had a D&D segment for years and it was great.
>>
There's The Adventure Zone, which is a pretty fun 5e game, but they play fast and loose with rules in favor of comedy (The wizard casted Phantom Steed with no setup, and brought out a unicorn with a deep sultry voice), so it's probably not something for everyone, but it's fun to hear a group of brothers yell at their dad because he keeps forgetting how to do anything aside from casting zone of truth at inopportune times.
>>
RPGMP3. Good range of games, and a good bunch of people. Definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>46144280
I like Acquisitions Incorporated.

pls no buli
>>
Any of them got a female player? Tired of listening to sausage fests.
>>
Not fear the boot. Those fuckers are trash.
>>
Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff is great if you like game design, pseudo-historical world building, and Lovecraft Mythos.
>>
>>46145970
Critical Role is pretty good.
>>
>>46144280
Order 66 is supposed to be good if you like FFG Star Wars, but I never listen to it.
>>
>>46144280
I enjoy Crit Juice for non-serious gaming.
>>
>>46144928
They moved on to Shadowrun a while ago after things got way too out of control on the D&D segment. I think they still play it.
>>
>>46144280
I liked At Sixes and Sevens while it lasted. It's a Changeling the Lost actual play.
>>
>>46145970
Campaign, from the same crew that does the One-Shot podcast is really good. It's a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire campaign
>>
>>46146592
Yup.
>>
>>46144280
I've been trying to find good Mutants and Masterminds podcasts, but all I've tried had hella static going so I couldn't tell what they were saying half the time (being ESL doesn't help).
Only managed to find one passable - BAMF/vigilance press podcast, but they only did a few oneshots.

Anybody got any good ones on that system?
>>
>>46145129

I think you're underselling it a bit. Adventure Zone is quality. Three brothers and their dad playing the shit out of 5e. A friend of mine's never played a tabletop game in their life and they're like 20 hours in just for the banter. Everyone involved is clearly comfortable with each-other in a way only family can be, as well as with improv in general (theater jokes crop up with surprising regularity).

It's entertainment first and tabletop gaming second, sure. And if there was a face to put on the "beer n' cheetos" style of tabletop they'd be in the running. But despite completely declining to take the hobby seriously they manage to engage with it in a way that kills me every time.
>>
>>46152802
That's one I warmed up to myself. Straight up used that wacky races arc as a thing in my game.
>>
Any shadowrun podcasts?
>>
Anyone actually know any Podcast hosts?

I'm in the market for guests for my show, and connecting with other podcasts and letting them come on and talk about their stuff is a decent trade.
>>
>>46153317

The Neo-Anarchist podcast is money. Opti really breaks down the lore of older editions and makes it so you can really grok what was going on back in the day. Great resource for getting into the universe.

On the more gameplay / mechanical side are Hidden Grid and Arcology. Hidden Grid is OG stuff, but they podfaded last year. Arcology is still going strong. Arcology also has some good APs if you're into that.
>>
>>46144280
harmonquest although it's a cartoon
>>
One Shot and Six Feats Under are both decent.
>>
Anyone listen to Nerd Poker with Brian Posehn and Friends?
Their first campaign was pretty enjoyable if I remember correctly. They're on hiatus right now but they want to resume sometime soon
>>
>>46152749
Punching for Justice does casts of M&M sessions.
>>
>>46156600
I listened to the first 10 or so episodes of Nerd Poker, it was pretty good and Posehn and his friends are actually funny so it's never really boring.
>>
You might be interested in High Rollers. 5eD&D hosted by the Yogscast. Couple of newbies in there, but it's great to see them progress roleplaying wise.
>>
File: 1457701071680.png (14 KB, 143x286) Image search: [Google]
1457701071680.png
14 KB, 143x286
>>46144558
>Buncha drunk fuckers bullshitting around a mike
Why would you waste your time listening to that when you could be drinking, gaming and bullshitting around a table YOURSELF?

I just don't understand the appeal of listening to other people gaming or talking about games.

Just fucking go out and game yourself, it's 1000000X better.
>>
>>46158943
What if you don't have friends and your gaming group is a bunch of dull idiots?
>>
>>46158943
With all those friends I have, right? From the totally hoppin' RPG scene in my town, right?
>>
>>46158943
Well personally I'm trying to find some podcasts for examples of seeing the system I plan on starting GMing with in action.
>>
>>46158996
Make them better? Practice with different systems?

>>46159010
Make some friends then. Nobody is entirely friendless.

>>46159474
Podcasts may not be a good indicator of how a system runs for you. It's still better to just play a game yourself. Podcasts have all kinds of other baggage, personalities, agendas and whatnot that make them unreliable.
>>
>>46159804
>Make some friends then.
Fuck! I never thought of this.

Holy shit everything is going to be different now!
>>
>>46159804
>Make some friends then. Nobody is entirely friendless.
How are we defining friends? I know ~2 people in my age group who I have actually spoken to beyond basic pleasantries (I work with them), who I don't dislike, and who I don't think actively dislike me. We don't go out, we don't communicate outside of work, we don't have much in common, and I know they don't want to play TTRPGs with me because I've asked.

My groups have all been from /tg/, and let me tell you, y'all a bunch of flaky motherfuckers.
>>
>>46159804
>Make some friends then. Nobody is entirely friendless.
Fuck you.
>>
>>46159952
That's the spirit!

Now say that in a gay bar, you'll be walking out with friends in no time flat!
>>
>>46158943
It's so I can listen to something while driving. Podcasts keep it interesting.
>>
>>46159804
>Podcasts may not be a good indicator of how a system runs for you. It's still better to just play a game yourself. Podcasts have all kinds of other baggage, personalities, agendas and whatnot that make them unreliable.
I know they aren't going to be some grand total definition of the game.

But it's still some experience to learn a bit from.
>>
aand a bump
>>
but anon, podcasts are awful
>>
>>46144280
They've all died sadly.
>>
>>46144280
No.
>>
>>46144280
Did no one mention RPPR Actual play yet? That's actually astounding, seeing as they're one of the massive, popular, well-funded groups out there, with a massive library of content to listen to, running the gambit across systems.
>>
The Arcology podcast is pretty good if you're into Shadowrun. NPC cast covers a lot of different systems and is pretty good as well.
>>
>>46156617
>his friends are actually funny so it's never really boring.

Yeah, that eventually changes. Sark the DM bowed out to DAD, and Blaine stepped in only to strand everyone in a land of rainbow giants and no NPCs.
>>
>>46145185
Second this.
They're what got me into all this
>>
>>46145185
>>46175800
Hm, first time I've seen that one recommended in these threads.
>>
>>46155444
Eh. The Neo-Anarchist one is good when he's actually talking about history, but he's not at all consistent with releases, and his guests are uniformly awful (probably because they're just his friends with no experience on mike). On the whole it's good, but it's definitely one where it's probably going to be better once all the episodes are out and you can cull it down to the actually valuable parts.
>>
>>46158943
because I'm a habitual insomniac hermit shutin who is operating on salvaged computer parts and technically lended internet.
>>
>>46144280
Dungeon Master's Block is fantastic
>>
>>46177587
>and technically lended internet.
You gonna give back that internet when you're done with it?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.