[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good ideas for Force-using orders that are neither
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Valkorion and Arcann.jpg (110 KB, 728x410) Image search: [Google]
Valkorion and Arcann.jpg
110 KB, 728x410
What are some good ideas for Force-using orders that are neither Sith nor Jedi? They can be Light, Dark, or whatever special snowflake nonsense you want.

Bonus points if you have or will use them in a game.
>>
>>46142488
I haven't played Old Republic but why would the son still follow his father after killing his brother?

Also the origins of the Sisters of Dathomere are pretty cool
>>
>>46142681
>I haven't played Old Republic but why would the son still follow his father after killing his brother?
Something, something, Dark Side.
>>
>>46142681
I assume because his dad would probably just kill him if he left.
>>
File: saber.png (133 KB, 992x349) Image search: [Google]
saber.png
133 KB, 992x349
Not an an entire order, but in a Star Wars campaign I played a while back set in the Cold War Era Old Republic I was a light-side former Sith.

He was inspired by the teachings of Kel'eth Ur, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bMB1CR4y_Q) and I took some inspiration for real life Taoism and Buddhism too. He walked the path of Light, but didn't join the Jedi because he didn't actually care that much about helping people. He simply sought his own enlightenment and one-ness with the Force. In his mind, compassion was good and well but not the core of what made the Light side the correct path to follow.

A ways into the campaign he learned how to do Force Lightning without the Dark Side. The way he saw it is that he was just becoming a conduit for the power of the Force, and he just directed it as it flowed through him.
>>
>>46142488
Perhaps a mercenary group composed entirely of force users, beholden to no philosophy or code, using their powers for nothing more than monetary gain.
>>
>>46143027
>>46142990
Later, he assassinates Valkorion to take the throne.
>>
>>46142488
"The force is just another energy field among dozens, if admittedly one with unique characteristics. We just need to figure out how to understand how it functions and how to mechanise it.
And don't come to me about fucking midichlorians. The whole 'they ARE the Force' myth was debunked decades ago. They're a near omnipresent microorganism which feeds off of the energy. Useful as a gauge for local force activity as some plants are for water purity but little else.
We *cannot* claim to have any understanding of the laws of the universe if such a phenomenon lies outside our understanding."

In other words, Force scientists who want to make Force powers in a can and come up with a Universal Theory. Bonus points for a Stephen Hawking cameo grandmaster.
>>
>>46142488
the one that comes immediately to mind is a force capable royal family, an unbroken line of mystics who breed selectively for greater and greater force power.
>>
>>46144566
I don't know for sure if Yudkowski has already written it, but it sure as shit sounds likely.
>>
Force sensitive order that was separated from the galactic community for a long time. Instead of relying on swordplay and "sorcery" they instead were seen as mystic archers.
Later they adapted to early firearms and maintained the usage of guns into the modern galactic age.

Zen Archery is a common meditation practice, with particularly talented force users with a martial bent able to inflict sounds with highly focused force bolts.
Blasters and kinetics are both used by the order, with the unnerving accuracy and foresight that comes with the force, and occasionally normally impossible feats such as forcing blaster shots to curve or flat out halt and change direction.
They suffer from a lack of short range forms beside hand to hand fighting. A couple short range forms use a rifle and bayonet as a sort of spear and staff, however lightsaber blocking bayonets are unsurprisingly not common.

Philosophy sees combat as innately aggressive, and aggression as innately Dark. But at the same time a requirement for peace. Paradoxes appear as points of contemplation and meditation. To fight is Dark, to ensure peace which is a Light act.
Notably the more advanced combat techniques are Dark side. The idea of advanced Light side combat skills does not make sense to the order's philosophy. It's akin to asking for a wet dryness or heated cold.
>>
File: 1452925274551.png (162 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1452925274551.png
162 KB, 500x276
>>46144828
>inflict sounds
Fuck's sake I thought I proofread it.
>>
>>46142488
If you're willing to accept offshoots, the Jannisari are very interesting. They build cortosis armor in a parallel to the jedi's saber construction ritual. The Grey Jedi are pretty cool too, they believe that the balance in the Force is literal, that they need an equal amount of Darkness and Light.
>>
I played an old crothety hermit witha hard-on for balance. Motherfucker was a goddamn living force spirit.
>>
Force order that are pretty much WH 40k's Blanks. The only force power they have is the power to create dead zones where the Force is weak.
>>
>>46144566
You pretty much described Darth Plagueis.
>>
>>46152567
So, like the Ysalamiri?
>>
>>46142488
There's so many already present in the setting that I don't really feel the need to create an entirely new one.
>>
>>46152598
Pretty much but it's used by humanoid races.
>>
>>46152619
>>46152567
Force Sever is a thing but it requires a massive amount of training to pull off. If the only thing you're doing is blanking out the Force that's a massive waste of potential.
>>
>>46152759
The power is not so much sealing someone away from the Force as much as it is creating a bubble where the Force would have no sway
>>
>>46152799
Still a giant waste of potential.
>>
File: Imperialknights.jpg (187 KB, 477x651) Image search: [Google]
Imperialknights.jpg
187 KB, 477x651
IMPERIAL KNIGHTS

Believe it or not, not evil
>>
>>46153130
Yeah, they were cool.
>>
>>46153130
>>46153149
>The Imperial Knights were trained in many of the same philosophies and techniques as the Jedi, but differed markedly in their credos and method. The Imperial Knights viewed the Force as a tool–a powerful one to be respected, but not one that they spent time contemplating and meditating on. They knew the dangers of falling to the dark side, and believed that the Force could not be used out of anger or selfishness. Managing one's emotions and controlling one's fear in the face of adversity was a paramount aspect of Imperial Knight ideology. The strict mental discipline and obedience to orders that was part of their training made Imperial Knights less susceptible to the strong emotions that would draw students of the Jedi over to the dark side.[15] Despite not drawing on the dark side, the Imperial Knights were said to not strictly follow the light side either, obeying the orders of the Emperor before anything else. As such, the Jedi viewed the Imperial Knights as "gray".[1][3] The Imperial Knights were also considered Gray Jedi by the Jedi Order due to the Jedi's belief that they did not truly follow the way of the Force.[1]

>Also if their Emperor fell to the dark side it was their job to kill him

Basically if the Empire wasn't shit
>>
In the Hero's guide of Star War's D20, there was a cool force faction called the Zeishon Sha. Back in the days of the old republic, the Jedi set up a training camp for younglings on a desert death world, as insurance if Coruscant got taken over by the Sith. However, the Sith ambushed the Jedi Teachers and supply ships on the way to the planet. The younglings and their immediate families than had to use their force powers to survive the deathworld, without jedi teachings.
>>
The Zeison Sha became uber telekinetics, able to redirect deadly energy around their bodies. They were also able to fly using the force, and hunted using telekinetically thrown blades, that they could return to them using the force after throwing. Eventually, they develop a throwing blade that resists lightsabers.
Eventually, a long time later, the Jedi rediscovered the colony on Zeison, having previously assumed the younglings had perished in the same way the teachers had. They immediately went to claim the force sensitive children of the Zeison Sha. Unfortunately, it was a short time after that that the Empire was to power, killing most of the Jedi. The Zeison Sha themselves were mostly spared the Emperor's purge, for they lived on an isolated world and could not really get out- that, and the Zeison Sha were capable warriors, so wiping them out would be costly.
Now, the Zeison Sha hate the Jedi, for being abandoned and betrayed twice over. They keep to their own force traditions, and their planet- but occasionally a younger force warrior heads off-world with a trading vessel, to explore the universe.
>>
>>46144828
Sounds pretty neato. But then I read
>halt blaster shots
Seen the Force Awakens yet anon?
>>
>>46142488
Morgukai

Jensaraai

Secret Gungan mystics
>>
>>46142488
Grey Paladins were good. And the Shapers of Kro Varr.
>>
File: Swkotor2_2014-12-31_17-05-12-24.png (578 KB, 669x678) Image search: [Google]
Swkotor2_2014-12-31_17-05-12-24.png
578 KB, 669x678
>>46142488
Kreia did nothing wrong.
>>
>>46142488
No weapons allowed, martial arts and the Force only hermit order, anyone?
>>
>>46142681
For the first time in his life his father gave paid attention to him.

Beard dad is Emperor Vitiate of the Sith Empire
>>
When I played TOR I had a light side Sith who didn't actually care for anything besides finding strong opponents. Any time I could end things peacefully with knowledge of "yeah they have no hope of even harming me" she tried her best to talk them down but did retaliate in defense.
She didn't care about loyalty to the empire only self worth and the guts to go through with your beliefs but don't waste your life.
>>
>>46154296
That's how I play mine, I didn't even bone sith milf because Vette started pouting, so I had my guy play it off like he was just teasing her.
>>
>>46154321
It was basically
>oh a strong opponent
>are you sure you're ready to fight?
>no seriously I'm going to go all out so I'm warning you now in case you have second thoughts
>alright mr Jedi
And then continued on learning about the force in all aspects and grew in strength until I was railroaded into being the emperors fist or whatever
>>
>>46142488
Street samurai style vagrant bodyguards. I imagine a planet with relatively high force sensitivity populace and little connection with the galaxy at large. Feudal lords hire 'Yojin,' mortals 'cursed by the spirits,' to utilize their strength. They're typically seen by the peasantry to bring war and death where they walk because most conflict is settled with them in the field. The warring state leaders have a sort of silent agreement in the area whereupon they shall not take in deserters from another clan, thus ensuring that the Yojin are at the mercy of their contracts.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.