[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Degenesis: Rebirth general, I guess...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Degenesis.png (3 MB, 1200x833) Image search: [Google]
Degenesis.png
3 MB, 1200x833
So, /tg/, I've recently had my interest to Degenesis reignited by the awesomely awesome trailer of awesomness (I am talking about Sacrifice Everything, of course). And I wanted to ask if any of you ran a game, and how did it go?

How did the system behave? How lethal was it? Did you manage to conserve the atmosphere and style cultivated by the great art?

Stories would be much appreciated.
>>
>>46135054
>awesome trailer of awesomness (I am talking about Sacrifice Everything, of course)
Aww yeah damn right! Bump for interest and lurking
>>
The system could literally be replaced by anything else and still be the same.

It has the Burning Wheel mentality of tracking absolutely everything for the sake of... ???
All in all, it's a dryly presented, but still somewhat curious, setting with a system that does little to support the stress that aforementioned setting would imply.

It's not bad. But it's not worth the $100-ish dollars the core stuff costs.
>>
>>46135123
The setting is dryly presented? Really? Did you read the books?
>>
>>46135054
It's as lethal as you choose to make it. The moment that someone pulls out a gun, acknowledge that people are going to fucking die. Your designated non-combat characters have to either stay away from that sort of combat or a single hit from a bullet will knock them out of commission for a good while and the second one will kill them, no questions asked.

Some melee weapons are just as bad. So if your entire team isn't optimized for combat, I'd suggest running encounters designed for low lethality. Fist fights, fighting wildlife, etcetera. Perhaps have the climax of a session involve a genuine gunfight or someone who actually means business. An Apocalyptic gangster and his posse, a rival Scrapper and his crew, a handful of Gendos or perhaps even a low-level Psychonaut if you think they can handle it.

Only start making lethal encounters featuring lots of guns the norm when the players seem confident about it and remember that the more powerful psychonauts represent the end-game and lots of their abilities are effectively save-or-dies.
>>
>>46135159

Yep.
The lore book is literally longer than the rulebook.
>>
>>46135183
As it should be ?
>>
File: degentierlist01.png (742 KB, 642x1394) Image search: [Google]
degentierlist01.png
742 KB, 642x1394
>>
>>46135196

I mean.
It's not a bad thing.
But it reads like a high school textbook.
There are some pretty poorly defined events (a theme which carries over into the rulebook) and a lot of hardcore infodumping.

I don't know man. It's just a personal opinion.
>>
>>46135313
How does it read like a textbook? All the text is quite stylized and reads more like accounts of witnesses or a diary, not like a textbook.

I love the style, though I myself would prefer the textbook approach, with the information being precise and easy to find.
>>
>>46135374
>>46135313
The fact it's translated from German doesn't help. There's a prevalence of certain words you never really see commonly used in the English language.

Nowhere else have I read 'cusp' so many times.
>>
>>46135388
"Cusp" is a good word. And reading words that are not commonly used is also a good thing. Helps you broaden your vocabulary.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to ask people who ran a game: Was there any problem with characters from different cults making the party splinter, backstab and go "chaotic-evil"?
>>
>>46135498

If everything is being played according to lore (unlikely), and you have players that know the lore (unlikely), it is natural for cults to drive wedges. However, if they come from the same culture, it shouldn't be horribly difficult for them to salvage some sort of relationship.

But we all know that this is just wishful thinking.
>>
>>46135524
My players love lore, and will read the book from cover to cover.
>>
>>46135498
There's some natural relationships. There's the African triumvirate, Scrappers have a strong connection to Chroniclers and Apocalyptics, Spitalians, Judges and Chroniclers are all that's holding the Protectorate together, Anabaptists and Spitalians are the ultimate bros, etcetera.

Then you've got the guaranteed rivalries. Palers get along with almost no one if they're open about their true nature, Apocalyptics are bound to get into trouble with Judges (and Spitalians if they trade in Burn) and please do not try to make a group that contains a Hybrispaniard/Balkhan character and an African. It will not work out well.
>>
>>46135622

Both books have a hefty amount of lore to offer.
There's some stuff that only appears once in a single paragraph on a cult and is never mentioned again.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.