[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you play a RPG with only two people? If so, what systems?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1452112510894.jpg (4 KB, 199x250) Image search: [Google]
1452112510894.jpg
4 KB, 199x250
Can you play a RPG with only two people? If so, what systems? I have no experience of rpgs but enjoy my board games. Any suggestions appreciated
>>
>>46134519

Two players, including the Master or a Master and two PCs?
>>
>>46134519
You mean two as in 'one game master, one player"? If so, afaik yes, you can, although it's a little below optimal. There are even some adventures made for 1v1. It can sure work out, it's just systematized make-belive, keep that in mind.
>>
Op here.

Me and the missus basically have an interest in starting an RPG, but there are no clubs or groups wed join near us.

It would just be the two of us.
>>
You can play an rpg by yourself mate. Most are designed for many players but a pt the end of the day it's just throwing dice to resolve makebelieve things because "i shot u" "nuh uh" dosent work so well.
>>
>>46134519
Yeah, they tend to be super politics focused and heavy world building. Either a rogue or a charisma caster with high intelligence works.
>>
What systems would you recommend? Ive heard of exalted, and DnD obviously.
>>
>>46134519
It's possible, but I wouldn't do it. Tabletop games are best for groups of 3 - 5 players + 1 GM.
>>
>>46134566

shut up and join r20
>>
>>46134566

Then you can, you should try to avoid a regular groupal adventure though, and focuss more in the history of your only PC.
>>
>>46134589
You only need very simple conflict resolving mechnism, so DnD or Exalted (if you're not aiming for a god campaign) isn't that necessary. Try Adventurers, Basic Fantasy RPG or Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts These are pretty easy to grasp with no bloat, imho perfect for 1v1 session.
>>
>>46134519

I can't say for sure but I think hybrid systems like Imperial Assault might work really well for 2 players

There's definitely loads of indie 2 player systems but I don't know where to get them. One Shot podcast has done a few of the kookier ones.
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96 KB, 869x425) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96 KB, 869x425
>>46134519
Some of my most fun games have been 1 on 1, but you have to really click. And I'm talking as gamers, not just people. The biggest risk is that there isn't enough... energy... dynamism... to sustain a game with that few people.

Any system will do, really. You just have to run the game differently than you would otherwise. There's no setting things up and letting the player interaction drive things along... because there is no player interaction. You need to design your adventures around your player and your player's character specifically--their interests and capabilities. When it works, you have a much more in-depth, personal game.

>>46134589
Barbarians of Lemuria is pretty good (see pic).

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, fewer details & more minimalist presentation makes it even easier to learn, but the rules aren't as refined) -- http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want the bare bones minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up a bit) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
>>
>>46134519
Scarlet Heroes is an old school D&D retroclone made specifically for one player and a GM. It makes up for the lack of a full party essentially giving a single character the capability of a 4 person party, more or less, making adventures very Conan-esque in terms of heroism where one lone hero can cut down hordes of lesser foes.
>>
>>46134519
World of Darkness is pretty good for it, but stay away from group-oriented games, like Werewolf or Hunter, unless you've got some experience under your belt.
>>
File: mc-cover.png (11 KB, 250x245) Image search: [Google]
mc-cover.png
11 KB, 250x245
Mars Colony is an rpg for two people.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.