[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kill team heralds of ruin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (382 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.png
382 KB, 1024x768
What are /tg/ thoughts on kill team heralds of ruin and how does it compare to other skirmish level campaign war games like mordheim and necromunda? Post your lists and stories of your games.
>>
>>46129422

Haven't played yet.

I like the mini-Codexes with custom options thrown in to add flavor and/or utility to certain teams.

Unfortunately, they're under a kind of rebuild at the moment. Original site owner and curator kind of fell off the grid, and eventually said he's not going to keep it up anymore. Another group picked it up and is currently bringing it fully forward into 7e, where some were still stuck in 5e. New group seems a little more open to some new ideas, like incorporating Forgeworld more actively into the mini-Codexes in specific cases, and smoothing over some problems in certain codexes like BA having WS/BS3 scouts while vanilla and DA SM scouts have WS/BS4.
>>
>>46129422
>and how does it compare to other skirmish level campaign war games like mordheim and necromunda?
Top fucking kek.
>>
>>46129422
Its baby's first skirmish game.

That said, it is better than baseline 40k, but that isn't a stunning accomplishment.

Just play Frostgrave/Infinity/Malifaux as suits your tastes, unless you live in one of those hellholes where people refuse to give anything non-GW the time of day, in which case you have my pity.
>>
>>46129422
Of you want to do skirmish wargaming more accessible than necromunda/gorkamorka, your choices are either GW killteam or HoR killteam.

HoR killteam is best killteam. Try it and youll see why.
>>
>>46130066
what this guys said, but avoid AT ALL COSTS gw kill team. that simply doesn't work, it can be broken in so many ways its ridicolous.
Hor is fun, had only a few games but it has been an overall good experience. Works better when having a LOT of scenery.
>>
>>46130805
Lots of scenery is key here. I mean necromunda dense is ideal, and the guys who designed the HoR killteam packet designed it with dense scenery in mind.
>>
>>46130066
>your choices are either GW killteam or HoR killteam.
Seriously? Spme people really never heard about other games?
>>
>>46133747
were talking in the context of 40k.
>>
>>46129422
HoR Kill Team is the only version of the 40k wargame I play now.
>>
>>46129946
>being self entitled faggot

Ok
Its good to know you this way anon
>>
>>46129422
>>46133747
>>46133812
There are other options.

There is In the Name of the Emperor, which is a reworked Necromunda/Inq28 kinda thing.
Then you also can use other rule sets to represent the setting. FiveCore has a SciFi ruleset for example.
Or you could use the rules from infinity to play a game set in Necromunda or something like that.
>>
File: Engineered.jpg (349 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Engineered.jpg
349 KB, 1920x1080
>>46129946
>Frostgrave/Infinity/Malifaux
>in a K-T thread

These niche also-ran titles aren't remotely as popular as the GW games playtested by millions over 30yrs and are all pretty underground. [adjusts non-prescription nerd glasses] You 40kids probably haven't even heard about them. /s

The Cities of Death and Cityfight books had some cool ideas for urban combat and some of my fondest gaming memories are from the times I spent playing KT and 40/40 on a CF board.

Try it.
>>
It's got of a bit of a disconnect between some factions and options.

Marines, for example, have a heap of leaders that can play with what base troops you get.

SOB, as a second example, can't really do that. Despite having similar units.

Some armies also get custom gear, some are limited to just codex stuff.

There likely needs to be some more 'Overall faction options' balance.
>>
>>46129733
Where can I see news about this "rebuild"?
>>
>>46135452
Yeah, it seems they dont finish all the codex yet.
Some of the stuff need to be reworked to, like physical check and psychic.
Also adding thing like sentry will be nice.
>>
>>46129422
I'm not sure if I like that they're adding Fast Attack units to core without needing a Leader to unlock them there first. It favors some armies over others, warrants the question why not Elites as well and doesn't help the fact that bikes are already broken in KT.
>>
>>46129422
Its fun, reminds me of necromda a lot (I feel like they are very similar but since I havnt played necro in ~15 years its hard to remember details). However, the teams ARE NOT balanced. I know armies really arnt balanced in 40k either, but I feel like its a lot worse in this game. Also, 2+ saves should be removed.
>>
>>46135419
>geedubs games
>still popular
top kek, they're dying to the company they licenced to do their RPGs

Infinity is best sci-fi skirmish game
>>
>>46135419
I know it was sarcastic, but let me get this out of my system:
>These niche also-ran titles aren't remotely as popular as the GW games
Maybe not. GW doesn't even come close to how popular historical gaming is though... What exactly does that mean for the quality of a product? Not much imo.
>playtested by millions over 30yrs
GW games kinda work, but they are anything but thoroughly playtested. And saying that any of their systems was consistently playtested throughout 30 years is outright falsehood. Andy Chambers was the only guy who actually wanted to tap into the playerbase for feedback while writing 4th edition and used his Chapter Approved series in WD to playtest new rules before they went into a broader use.
Guess what happened? GW didn't let him publish the game he wrote so he sold it to Moongoose as Starshiptroopers. GW continued with a patched up 3rd edition.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.