[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fight! Training Room
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: fight cover.jpg (919 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
fight cover.jpg
919 KB, 773x1000
Hey /tg/

A friend of mine wants me to run a game of the Fight! RPG, which evidently emulates 2d fighting games. I'm not sure how well it does this or if it's even worth playing.

So if you're up to it, I'd like to run through a round of combat here to test this thing out. If you're familiar with the system, feel free to explain this thing to me.
>>
File: tiger_genocide.jpg (132 KB, 1024x950) Image search: [Google]
tiger_genocide.jpg
132 KB, 1024x950
>>46124366
Meet Red Tiger, hero in training.

Red Tiger
PL:1
Life Bar: 30
Fighting Spirit: 10

Strength: 1
Speed: 0
Stamina: 1

Combat Skills
Defense 3
Combo 3

Special Moves:
L4 Tiger Tail
Critical Hit, Hurl, Increased Damage (2), Throw (2), Slow Recovery (-1)

L3 Swatting Tiger
Critical Hit, Increased Damage (2), Increased Knockback, Power Up: Control, Range 0

L3 Tiger Pounce
Aerial, Harry, Increased Damage (2), Priority, Limited Movement: Must move forward 1 range (-1)
>>
Ok, I'm intrigued.
>>
File: guard.jpg (121 KB, 492x739) Image search: [Google]
guard.jpg
121 KB, 492x739
>>46124956
And his opponent, Security Guard #4.

Initiative: 1d4
Accuracy: +0
Damage: 1d6
Defense: 2
Life Save: 2
>>
Rolled 1 (1d4)

So the way this works is fairly simple. Die sizes range from 1d4 to 1d12. Stats denote how many steps dice move up or down.

Combat takes place on a two dimensional plane, with range denoted by a number from 5 (out of combat) to 0 (grapple range). First things first, we roll initiative. Guard rolls 1d4, Tiger, having Speed 0 rolls 1d6. I'll roll for the guard if someone wants to do Tiger.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d6)

Never heard of this, but it sounds interesting.

I guess I'll just roll 1d6 for Tiger's initiative?
>>
>>46125515
Yep. Tiger obviously wins.

You have two types of attacks: Basic and Special. Basic attacks have a Control value of 1, and Special attacks have variable Control values. You can string them together in Combos.

Roll 1d6 and add 3.
>>
Rolled 5 + 3 (1d6 + 3)

>>46125727
>>
>>46125773
So you can string together a Combo of Basic Attacks and Special Attacks with a value of no more than 8. So maybe something like three basic attacks and Tiger Tail. If you have Combo left over, it adds to your Accuracy roll.

Go ahead and roll a 1d6. Also, you can probably tell most of the rolling happens at the outset of the rounds. This is moving slower because I'm checking to make sure I have the process down.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>46126000
So do I basically get to freely build-a-combo, or are there rules about what move can follow another move?
>>
>>46126053
So long as you have the Combo score, you can build whatever attack string you want. You lose Accuracy for every three moves in a Combo, but at higher levels that's not really an issue.

You hit, obviously. So you get a 1d8 for the first Basic Attack, +2 for the other two Basic Attacks, and half your Special Move's damage.

So roll 2d8, divide one of the results in half, and add 2 to the result. That's your total damage from the Combo. It's really not as complicated as I'm making it seem here, there are just a lot of options included in the base game.
>>
Rolled 3, 3 = 6 (2d8)

>>46126277
So... Just so I'm clear on this.

First roll is initiative, then max combo value, then accuracy, then damage. Right?

Not sure how damage is calculated though. Full damage of first attack, +1 per additional attack, plus half of the special... What if you open with a special, does the normal attack get halved instead? Also what determines how much damage an attack or special does? Strength?

Feel free not to go into detail if it would take too much time, I'm just curious.
>>
>>46126503
So that's 3 + 2 + 1.5... Does it get rounded up or down?
>>
>>46126503
Yep. Initiative and Control are rolled first. Actions are declared, Defense and Attack values determined, dice rolled, damage applied. Repeat.

Combo damage works like this:
You use the Accuracy of the first hit in the Combo to determine your modifier.
You roll damage for the first Basic Attack in the string only. You add +1 damage for every other Basic Attack in the string.
Any Special Move in the string deals half the damage it normally would. Regardless of where it shows up in the string.

A huge portion of the book is devoted just to Combo options, Special Attacks, Basic Attack modifiers and so on. So your damage, by the by, is 6 (3 + 1 + 2). That takes care of the thug.

Notice, too, that even a basic Combo like that would easily take off a third of a Level 1 fighter's health if it hit. What I've just described is the VERY basics of the game. Just like in the fighting games it tries to copy, there are tons of options for character types, attack options, movement types, and so on.

This first combat was against a guard (Using the Thug rules), so I think it's time we upgraded to a more significant threat. You still game?
>>
>>46126701
All right, I get it. Seems a bit limited compared to actual fighting games, but I suppose more fleshed-out higher-level characters would get more options and shit?

I mean even just looking at Tiger's skills I see stuff like Throw, Knockback, etc. which sounds to me like they're just screaming for all kinds of creative set-ups.

I'm cool to keep going either way. Getting a little late over here, but it's not like I got shit to do tomorrow.
>>
>>46126842
Sure. And it's only limited here because, and I'm not joking, there are 111 pages out of a 240 page book filled with nothing but character options. I'm not good enough at the game to really give you a good picture of the kinds of options you have available to you. Basically if you can think of a fighting game character you can make them, move for move.
>>
>>46126942
Sounds neat.

Do you happen to have a PDF to share so I can pirate browse through it some other time?
>>
>>46126974
No, unfortunately. If you're still on tomorrow I'll have a proper match set up.
>>
>>46127068
Dunno if I'll be on tomorrow. I probably will at some time, but if not I'm sure someone will be happy to take my place.
>>
>>46126974
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ba4vtd8fu0z5/Fight!%20RPG

Here's the PDFs, if you still need them. I hope the link doesn't fuck up this time.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.