[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What mythologies or folklore do you incorporate into your setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1443469-zeus_by_thegryph.jpg (94 KB, 461x680) Image search: [Google]
1443469-zeus_by_thegryph.jpg
94 KB, 461x680
What mythologies or folklore do you incorporate into your setting?
>>
Slavic most recently, mostly the mood and what little we know of the lore.
>>
>>46124220
Gnostic and Lovecraftian.
>>
>>46128953
Being Polish, I really wish I knew more about Slavic gods to try and use some in my games, but the little I know isn't particularly compelling and I'm far more familar with Greek and Japanese mythology.

I do love Slavic creatures though.They are ready-made to slip in to just about any setting.
>>
>>46129231
I also like to make things folkloric in tone, I love The Witcher's approach to monsters in which each town has unique variations of broadly defined species that relate to the dark past of their area and usually need dispatched in particular ways.
>>
File: 1-150521023314J1.jpg (94 KB, 957x705) Image search: [Google]
1-150521023314J1.jpg
94 KB, 957x705
>>46124220
The origin story of humans in my setting is inspired from Chinese mythology, pic related.

Nuwa = Best Goddess!

Except that in my setting humanity where the work of two sister creator spirit.
>The elder sister created all nature, plant, animal and fairies.
>The younger sister created the first human souls, but she was not very good at creating body, so her sister helped her.
>The first human soul were individually crafted, so the first humans were naturally magical, very intelligent, lived long lives, and retain a good deal of of their character when reincarnating.
>The younger sister then set up a automated system for new soul, but they are of lesser quality, so the new humans are inferior to the first in every way.
>The first gen then enslaved all the second gen.
>It was all fair for the goddess since she prefer her first children
>Parental favoritism....What a horrible mother. She's definitely not Nuwa
>>
It seems like it's starting to be cliche, but I fucking love Norse mythology.
>>
>>46124220

My own.
>>
>>46124220
I stole some gaelic tale once for a minor campaign story.

Essentially, there's a tiny, isolated, island based town. Suddenly, one of the women is kidnapped by some weird fish-man thing. The rest of the fishmen grew jealous of him, since she was beautiful, so they invaded the surface, killed all the men, and took the women of the town as wives. As the years went by, it got a bit stockholme syndrome-y and the women adapted, since altogether the fish dudes weren't so bad, and eventually their children grew to become smaller than average men, with a natural affinity for seafaring, while the fishmen eventually had to return to the sea.
>>
>>46134244
obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI
>>
I most prefer to work in the fundamentals of Zoroastrianism.
Despite the huge craze over distant, ineffable cosmic entities and gray ambiguous moralities, I enjoy the idea of an ultimate good contesting with an ultimate evil, and all of reality being spun from the physical, metaphysical, and conceptual results of their infinite tussle.
I also work in concepts of Hindu mythology from time to time. The idea of knowable superior beings (Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu) simply being facets and reflections of an unknowable infinite existence (Brahman the Infinite) is intriguing.
>>
My setting is heavily based on Scandinavian folklore from different eras. I use a little bit of Norse mythology, but none of the Odin and Thor parts.

In this setting I can twist (or rather untwist) some classic fantasy races, like elves and dwarves, who were a legit part of our folklore hundreds of years before Tolkien. I've also done my research (over the years, and not for this setting specifically. I grew up in a small village by the woods, so I've heard all of the stories, and I decided that I wanted to know more), so for trolls, for example, who nowadays are heavily associated with Bauer's depiction of them, instead resemble the way trolls were described when people actually believed in them (and they are very much alike humans).
>>
File: samson-jawbone-hill.jpg (81 KB, 431x600) Image search: [Google]
samson-jawbone-hill.jpg
81 KB, 431x600
>>46124220
If that includes details such as creatures and customs, greek, brazilian, inuit, indonesian, arab, roman, chinese, norse, portguese, slavic, hindu, aztec, japanese...
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.