[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tomb of Horrors in Only War?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: tomb of horrors.png (559 KB, 640x467) Image search: [Google]
tomb of horrors.png
559 KB, 640x467
I had a conversation with a coworker that lead to the following questions:

How many Imperial Guardsmen would it take to clear the Tomb of Horrors?
How many Imperial Guardsmen would it take to simply fill the Tomb with their blood?

No Manticores, no Kasrkin, none of that fancy bullshit, just marching in squad after squad of infantry until every trap has been disarmed, every enemy slain, every inch of the tomb reclaimed for the glory of the humanity.
The sphere of annihilation poses an obvious problem with the "fill with blood" part, but it's the Imperial Guard.
They'll find a way.

I need the answers to these questions.
I believe in you /tg/.
>>
>>46119234
DEPENDS ON THE REGIMENT
E N
P E
E M
N I
D G
S E
O R
N E
T H
H T
E N
R O
E S
G D
I N
M E
E P
N E
TNEMIGER EHT NO SDNEPED
>>
>>46119728
Stupid 4chan deleting "excess" spaces.
>>
File: HotMeth.jpg (45 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
HotMeth.jpg
45 KB, 250x250
>>46119234
>how many

All.
All of them.
All of the Guard.

ToH is satire - it's a test to see how long it takes your group to give the GM a good-natured throatpunch to show him that there're no hard feelings once they realize that even the traps are trapped, so they're just being trolled. No one survives this deathworld. Not even Catachans.
>>
>>46120190
To truly understand the Tomb of Horrors, you simply contemplate that this exists:
Behind an invisible door, there is a secret corridor.
At the end of the corridor there is another hidden door, leading to a secret room.
In the room are several skeletons, waiting to attack.
The skeletons are guarding three locked chests.
Every single chest contains a trap which can instantly kill, and nothing else.

The whole thing is designed to make players re-evaluate their life choices.
>>
>>46121174
>invisible door

So, there's just a hole in the wall leading down a passage until someone walks into it facefirst?
>>
>>46120190
>>46121174

I only ran TToH when my players complained to me that I was too unfair with them during our games.

Worked like a charm.
>>
I'm shocked, guys. We can calculate how many spiders a drow can realistically fit in her vagina, but not the volume of the Tomb of Horrors versus the volume of an Infantry Platoon's collective blood?
>>
>>46126230
Well make a start then, nigger.

Just keep in mind, like >>46119728 said, a lot depends on the regiment.

I'd recommend Kriegers personally since they're less likely to disobey a direct order.
>>
File: engineers of krieg.jpg (103 KB, 837x702) Image search: [Google]
engineers of krieg.jpg
103 KB, 837x702
>>46127125
Kriegers also have decent engineers. They might even find a way around some of the traps rather than just march men in to fill the spike pits with their bodies.
>>
>>46120190
The Tomb of Horrors is not satire. It is a convention module. It was designed as a con game where players can compete to see how far they get in the dungeon. It's not designed to be easily completable. It so deadly that it does not fit or make sense for any long running campaign. For what it was meant for it's not bad. When you take it out of its context it becomes very silly and unfun. I have no idea why people are so obsessed with playing it in campaigns, in different settings, whatever.

What's more is the contents of the dungeon are so famous now that they have lost ALL of their surprise value, and given that literally all the difficulty in the dungeon IS the surprise value its become entirely and in every way pointless to run. If you want a Tomb of Horrors-esque experience with D&D or W40k -YOU CAN DO THAT-, but you will need to start from the ground up building something designed to surprise and which is more a test of "see how far you can get" than any attempt at true completion.
>>
The guard shells it into oblivion gg no re
>>
>>46129939
Its pretty unlikely they'd adjust tactics before they completed it by means of brute force. Kriegers are among the lowest of the low.
>>
>>46130824
The Tomb of Horrors was made to challenge a single player's idiosyncratic playstyle. It was not intended for group play, that came second.
>>
>>46134634
This is true. And said PC was the kind of guy who's modus operandi was to use levitate and army crawl on the ceiling while invisible and only descending to pick up loot. As a Fighter.
>>
>>46134658
He also completed the Tomb of Horrors on his first try. Though he didn't kill the Demi-Lich and just grabbed as much loot from the final room as possible before running away.
>>
>>46134664
Where can i read more about this? It was gygax's son wasn't it?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.