[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between a troll and an ogre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 202x249) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 202x249
What's the difference between a troll and an ogre?
>>
>>46117909
ogres are usually very hungry
>>
Regeneration.
>>
Troll ogre is a trick you teach dogs.
>>
>>46117909
One's a big guy.
>>
>>46117909
Size, intellect and regenerative capabilities in general.

Typically Trolls are thinner, less intelligent and have regeneration while Ogres are larger, smarter (minutely so) and dont have regeneration
>>
>>46117909
I think the more important question here is, can we merge the two into a horrifying Trogre? Ogroll? Whatever.
>>
>>46118819
Yes. Just don't ever give them tools and let them breed unchecked.. Thats how empires are toppled.
>>
>>46117909
Trolls are range hugely in size, are inhuman, turn to stone in the daylight, can behave like a person or an animal, and usually have something out for Christens.

Ogres are universally large, not usually as inhuman, and generally just behave like large brutish/cannibalistic humans.
>>
>>46117909
Layers.
>>
>>46117939
I'm sorry to admit that I laughed
>>46117948
UUUU
>>
>>46117909
Trolls are intelligent beasts.
Ogres are stupid people.
>>
File: 1445713904951.jpg (81 KB, 600x604) Image search: [Google]
1445713904951.jpg
81 KB, 600x604
>>46117939
Heh.

>>46117909
As far as I'm concerned, trolls have got to have the big, prominent noses and the tusks and the body hair. Size can vary to some degree, but they gotta have the nose. And they have to be at least kind of hairy. Ogres just have to be really big, really fat, and generally cruel and sadistic.

They'll both totally eat people, though.
>>
>>46117909
Ogres are either civilized demons (bureaucrats of hell if you go with Chinese tradition) or the goblins of giants(deformed huge humanoids).

Trolls are fey that eat a lot, heal wounds unless doused in fire and turn to stone when exposed to sunlight.
>>
>>46117909
Trolls are generally supernatural in some way. In D&D, they regenerate. In old Norse folklore, they usually have magic and turn to stone in sunlight.

Ogres, on the other hand, are just big, mean, and ugly.
>>
>>46117909
Trolls are the goblins of Elves.

Ogres are the goblins of Giants.

There you go.
>>
File: 1452849223631.jpg (106 KB, 660x402) Image search: [Google]
1452849223631.jpg
106 KB, 660x402
Ogres are total bros
>>
>>46118819
The mighty Toga once roamed the lands, until the Roman Empire subjugated them, exterminated them and wore their remains as clothing
>>
Trolls have horns and tusks, are hairy, and live underground. Ogres don't have horns or tusks or hair, are bigger, and live in evil biomes. Both are stupid and used like siege machines by goblins. I like Dwarf Fortress.

>>46119562
I thought goblins were the goblins of elves. Would that make trolls the goblins of humans? Dwarves?
>>
>>46119661
>Dwarves?

I can get behind this.
>>
>>46117909
Trolls are magical creatures created or summoned from another realm. Trolls can eat anything and can live nearly forever, as long as they don't get turned to stone or set on fire.

Ogres aren't magical at all, they're usually mutants or half-breeds. An Orge's dietpeople made of meat and they don't live very long at all.
>>
Ogres cannot use computer browsers.
>>
>>46117909
Ogres, regardless of setting, are giant-kin. They're big and strong. Usually they're at least stupid but they're never notably bright.

Trolls vary a lot from setting to setting but always have a supernatural element. They can be big or small and their magic can be active as per nordic trolls or passive as per D&D trolls. It can even be in weaknesses like tolkien's turn-to-stone trolls. If both ogres and trolls exist in a setting, trolls are probably smaller and smarter.

Both are usually ugly and wicked, but some forms of troll are exceptions to both and ogres, as natural sapients, could learn to be good guys if you got the point through their thick skulls.
>>
>>46117909
Trolls have better hair and bling
>>
Ogres are badasses who create empires and use magic more powerful than any other.

Trolls get beaten up by a gnome on a fox.
>>
>>46117909
> What's the difference between a troll and an ogre?
One is a monster considerably larger than a human that eats humanoid flesh, show cruelty and has a dim intellect.

The other consciously misinterpret questions/answers on the internet, or toys with and insult a poster, to cause an emotional reaction in the reader and obtain fun at the expense of his or her victim.
>>
Trolls live under bridges and hate goats.
>>
>>46117939
Didn't laugh but I am totally stealing it :^)
>>
Ogres are almost always bigger than a human but not enormous (usually about 1.5-2x a human's size), usually humanoid, stupid but genuinely sapient, and very strong. In most settings, not magic, at least, not as an aspect of their biology, they can have shamans and the like how goblins do.

Trolls are much more variable. Normally they are less humanoid than ogres are (still typically bipedal but with stranger anatomical proportions) and their size ranges greatly, from approximately human size to many times greater, in some settings trolls can be found in many different adult sizes. Trolls are more likely to be found in very different subspecies. Their intelligence is widely varied from setting to setting, in some they are non-sapient animals, in others, they are as smart as people. In my experience, trolls tend to favor these extremes over just being not very smart. Trolls are also much more likely to be innately magical, though to specifically what end is completely inconsistent throughout fantasy.

One other important difference is that ogres are usually brutes, evil through lack of understanding rather than genuine malevolence. Trolls, on the other hand, are usually depicted as more innately destructive, and only able to be controlled by force, or for those smart enough, a seemingly favorable bargain.
>>
Ogres are usually stupid big humans with warped proportions.

Trolls are usally altogether different, and with the exception of warcraft, tend to be stupid big orcs with regenerative ability and warped proportions.
>>
>>46119689
>Elves - Goblins
>Dwarves - Trolls
>Humans - Orcs
>Giants - Ogres
Any more?
>>
File: 8202457822_cbc8b5c59d_m.jpg (7 KB, 240x230) Image search: [Google]
8202457822_cbc8b5c59d_m.jpg
7 KB, 240x230
>>46119173
Kek'd
>>
>>46117909
Orges are pretty much always "giants but smaller (but still big". They're usually also pretty dumb and eat people.
Trolls vary more. Sometimes they're pretty much the exact same as the above description of ogres, sometimes they're lanky blue guys with tusks and Jamaican accent. In original folklore they range from magical tricksters to big hulking brutes depending on the story. Probably the most common desciption in modenr fantasy, though, is a big bestial creature (even dumber than the ogre, who usually has at lest primitive tools and language) with regenerative powers. Tusk and green skin are common traits as well. I think the regeneration first came from DnD. No idea where they got it from, but it's a pretty common element in desciption of trolls these days.
>>
File: 1450910276710.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1450910276710.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>46117953
/thread
>>
>>46120234
I think its because they turn to stone.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.