[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Vet your campaign ideas.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1450422875325.jpg (307 KB, 1255x1880) Image search: [Google]
1450422875325.jpg
307 KB, 1255x1880
The BBEG's goal is to marry the prince and bare his child, in order to bring about the apocalypse. But she's also genuinely in love with him.
>>
>>46106920
Seems ok. Not a fan of "stop this event or the world ends" sort of campaigns though.
>>
>>46107855
I agree, it could just as easily work out to her just having really evil ideas of how to run the country, and she can't be allowed to become the queen mother.

Would be even more interesting if the Prince also is in love with her, even if he doesn't agree with how she would want the country to be run. So now you have to prevent some weird succession war.
>>
>>46108062
I agree with this. Maybe have the PCs have some reason to want to kill the BBEG besides her being evil, a personal one I mean. That would put them into conflict with the prince who genuinely loves her. But that's a definite 'maybe'.

Have the PCs' objective be to keep the kingdom stable and prevent the BBEG from gaining control. If the prince and BBEG are in a happy relationship, it makes things harder cause the prince wouldn't be willing to break it off. The PCs could have to find some other heir for the kingdom, or end up pulling some crazy shit(like players enjoy doing) and start a revolution to bring down the monarchy, thus making the conflict moot.

I'd say there's a lot of potential here.
>>
>>46109624
>>46108062
>>46107855
>>46106920
She's married to one of the player characters. They have to stop her from cucking him.
>>
The BBEG is an ancient sealed power tainting the crops for harvest. Farming villages have people going missing in the night, walking off into the nearby forest. A pagan fertility cult among the villages to an idol known as the Verdant Lord is thought to be responsible.
>>
>>46109679
What's the BBEG's ultimate goal? Or is it just leaking power messing everything and everybody up?

I like the idea of it being sealed power though. How obvious are you going to make that? Could be fun to do a bunch of ultimately fruitless investigating(or it could not be).
Would play, though.
>>
BBEG is the Brother of 2 of my PCs
Said PCs were captured by cult in the material realm (PCs and Brother are Fey Elves)
Brother enters the Material realm to destroy it after what he perceives as an act of war.
PCs were actually just interested on the material realm one in particular becomes a gunslinger akin with his new love of tecnology
BBEG has killed his Father making him the new King to start this war.

Its nothing original (BBEG is essentially Prince Nuada) but I wanted a setting I could use Fey creatures and IMHO Del Torro is unparralled in their application so I borrowed the idea of fey elves making war with Faeries and stuff.

Rip it apart /tg/
>>
BBEG isn't actually real. The rumors of this genius tactician and powerful mage are just that, boogeyman stories. Tales of other less potent individuals, long since dead exaggerated and applied to this single entity. This is why the clerics can't glean any info (not because of some crazy evil scry-jamming). This is why there are no unifying symbols. This is why most deranged criminals claim to be working for them. Think Kaiser Sozee, only there really is no Kaiser Sozee. This is more to challenge me as a DM than drive a narrative I've been itching to drive. Plus it allows all the freedom in the world to deviate themes for antagonists they'll encounter. All the while thinking they were on the precipice of some great evil, they'll learn they were just righting wrongs along their way.
>>
>>46108062
So basically A Song Of Ice And Fire?
>>
>>46109890
Yes. Or just the majority of conflicts throughout history.
>>
>>46109851
i like the idea but i feel like having that many big fish claim they're working for the same guy requires a bit more explanation that "they cray"
maybe it's a pseudonym for the god of thieves or something
>>
>>46109798
>What's the BBEG's ultimate goal?

Their goal is to escape their confines.

It's not going to be immediately obvious. The cult is a red herring. It is connected, but it's not behind it. The cult and the dissappearances will lead them into the forest, where lots of weird shit goes down, since it's a cursed and enchanted place.

In there i've got real creepy shit like an large elk-headed creature that will stalk them, abandoned forest villages, creepy cult shit out of The Wicker Man. fey shenanigans, and the ruins of the ancient elves that lived here long ago, and originally sealing away the power with a great sacrifice.

The most insidious thing about it is i'm going to have a hidden counter on how much tainted food the characters eat over the campaign. I'll have plenty of hints about the effects, from people found starving and trapped in the forest, to abundant fruits available on trees to ready made meals in a recently abandoned cabin.

The counter penalizes their resistance against the BBEGs influence on their mind, possibly fighting their comrades, or just partying and gorging on food, drink, and vice.
>>
>>46109851
I'm building up to something like this in my campaign. I established that there was an ancient evil who fucked everything up in the distant past (which is true), and now I'm trying to make it seem as though it's returning, but it's gonna culminate in them finding it's long dead skeleton. One of the antagonists is masterminding the ruse in order to get access to the skeleton's room so he can steal a mcguffin, and the other antagonist worships the old dead evil and believes the rumours.
>>
The entire game takes place underground in a continent-sized cave system, so big that different sections have different climates and ecology. The lower sections, for example, are hotter and more arid due to geothermal activity, and some caverns are full of vast seas. To the inhabitants, the cave network is the entire world, and they live their whole lives never knowing about the surface, sun, moon, wind, or rain. Over the course of the campaign, the PCs would traverse the breadth of the cave network giving me a chance to indulge in my writefaggotry), finding more and more strange people and creatures entering the caves, and eventually discovering that there is a surface world. Specifics would vary greatly based on the PCs of course, but maybe the crux of the campaign would be choosing between widening the entrance to the surface and introducing the two worlds to each other, or sealing it off forever.
>>
>>46109930
>elk heading things
fuck man i'm usually resistant to these things but leshen and shit like it creeps me the fuck out
>>
>>46109990
how do people get food ?
>>
>>46109990
I can dig it. Reminds me of a book series I read when I was younger called Tunnels. It had interesting world building as far as I read.
>>
>>46110033
Most bastions of civilization are built around special crystals that give off light (and UV radiation). They range in size from the size of a child's hand to as large as buildings. Conventional plant life as we know it can grow in the light of these things. The nickname I made in my notes for them was "lumoliths," and the name grew on me so I kept it. Outside of the lumoliths, flora would take the form of various types of fungi and mushrooms. Fauna would either feed on the flora or have developed some ability to consume minerals from the the rock.

>>46110054
>dig it
kek
>>
>>46110073
that's really neat
i like it anon
>>
File: 1354664700576.gif (4 MB, 320x215) Image search: [Google]
1354664700576.gif
4 MB, 320x215
>>46110139
Thanks man.
Now if only I could find some players willing to indulge me.
>>
>>46106920
The players are apprentice magicians in a post-high, now-low magic setting who live in one of the few ancient and well defended cities (think 6 times larger than Helm's deep). In going on an adventure, they kick off an adventuring boom, leading to a magical arms race as many groups seek out ancient relics from the past, previously though lost with the disappearance of the Gods (and the temporary loss of Magic).

This causes massive chaos in the previously ordered (albeit tyrannical) world, leading to such a massive influx of power to the hands of the oppressed and tormented such that they can now rise up against their rulers and define their own society.

All the while the Ork menace which lies beyond the safety of the cities grows, and will almost certainly take advantage of this upheaval to try and destroy the last few bastions of civilization in the world.
>>
>>46106920
Just make sure the child remains clothed at all times. Maybe tattoo over all of his exposed skin?

BAM. Next Campaign's DMPC who does other stuff in the setting and occasionally interacts with the party as a quest-giver who gets more mysterious and is set-up as the BBEG by the remnant cult of the previous BBEG who was pissed that his mom never followed through on using her kid to destroy everything after achieving marital bliss. Cult portrays his mystery as him harboring a great evil (truth) and uses a good church who has only some of the information as a front so they don't get pinged for detect evil or whatever.

Hijinks escalate as the party kidnaps him so the cult/church can magically remove his tattoos and "bare" him.

Party can fail this or succeed to kidnap him or to remove his tats, and it doesn't matter, the DMPC goes berserk and slaughters the church/cult. Calms down and reveals everything to the party. Alternatively they find out about the cult and help him and he slowly comes to trust them at which point he reveals everything after defeating the church/cult with them. Turns out it wasn't "bare" skin, it was "bare" soul as in him finally being honest. Turns into real BBEG, with bonus stats if there was a love interest in the party he revealed himself to. Or Herself. Or make it if they ever have sex with someone they love and go that route, if there's no party romance give him one with a maid or some shit IDK use your imagination.
>>
The current king of the realm once led a rebelling to overthrow a tyrannic witch king. With his dying breath, the witch king cursed his lineage.

His first daughter was burn cursed with "fire powers" she could not really control, and she accidentally killed the second daughter. (think Frozen but the other way around). The queen took her own life in despair. All this, the king disguised as Witch Tribes spies coming into the palace and murdering the queen and setting fire to the children's room.

So the little flame princess was sent to a fort to be "protected" (actually it's more like she was imprisoned). There she spent almost two decades more, lamenting her fate.

One day, a passing wizard apprentice heard her lamentations, and tried to communicate with her. As time went on, they became closer and closer, and the wizard apprentice decided to free her. So he stole his master's spellbook and helped the princess escape, and they both killed almost everyone in the fort in the process.

Now that she's escaped, the PCs must find her. They (princess and wizard) are trying to buy passage to another kingdom, to lay low for a while and look for supporters of the princess. Also, the Witch Tribes are looking for the princess too, to be the Witch King's sucessor and lead a crusade against the newer king.

Eventually, the PCs are going to have to decide who to side with. In the beginning, it will seem as if the newer king is much better than the old tribes; but over time I will reveal that
1. The new king is somewhat of a tyrant, and he's placing heavy restrictions on anything magic.
2. The tribes are not bad at all, the only thing bad with them was the old witch king who was an utter power-mad lunatic.
>>
>>46106920
BBEG parents fell down the stairs and died
BBEG decides to fight against gravity
>>
>>46106920
The land has become peaceful, no current wars going on and havent been for a long time. People are growing slow, lazy, complacent and fat. Crazy sect of druids see this as the balance of nature being thrown off, since they believe the nature of man is to fight, as well as a huge population boom which will strain natural resources.

Druids leave into deep unexplored jungles seeking to make their own perfect civilization. Instead they find a massive tree sprouting from the massive corpse of a long dead god/titan/giant/whatever. The tree itself feeds off of life energy, and has massive fruits hanging from it. Those that eat the fruits become strong, but the huge seeds inside them quickly try to germinate. They do so by releasing spore which pull weaker minded creatures towards it, also to protect and feed it. Basically like those mind control fungus you see in insects. Either way a single seed can completely ruin entire cities.

So naturally the druid sect leader decides it's a good idea to drop them into the gluttonous cities and watch as the weak succumb to the spores, and the strong desperately try to escape.

End goal is COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION
>>
>>46106920
>bare
You fucking idiot
>>
I had idea about dark-fantasyish thing, set in a lost city, source of mists that erase everything.
I want to try out a set pff three BBEGs, governing city in uneasy peace, waiting to backstab eachother so they can take the secret of the city for themselves.

Ex. one of bbegs is in permanent slumber, his mother having lulled him into it to protect him from his own psionic powers. Century passed, and despite his body growing old, it is kept alive by those powers. If he'd wake up, he'd die.
>>
File: Better.jpg (73 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Better.jpg
73 KB, 250x250
>>46106920
>goal is to marry a prince
>is genuinely in love w/ him
>btw also wants to kill all humans

Vetted: Your campaign idea is stupid.
>>
>>46106920
The party whiped early in the campaign, and I decided to let them live. Partly because it's convenient. They are going to pay for it though.

The prisoner they freed earlier helped them up. What they don't know is that he is a servant of a dark god, who is dormant. The prisoner used some sort of dark spell to revive them.

They've been having strange nightmares as of late, but they don't know why. Soon they're gonna get all kinds of wierd effects, like they start having trouble seeing if they don't kill something every day and stuff like that.

The dark god is going to use the PCs to awake. He regains concousness little by little as they kill things.

Kinda cliché, but I think it can turn out pretty cool
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.