[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: 1458015272397.jpg (74 KB, 960x725) Image search: [Google]
1458015272397.jpg
74 KB, 960x725
>http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2016/03/18/for-magic-the-gathering-diversity-is-the-marketing-strategy/

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>46100842
I really couldn't care less then I do now.
>>
What the fuck is Forbes even supposed to be ABOUT at this point.
>>
>>46100842

we just had a thread about this, no one except /pol/ gives even a bit of a fuck
>>
Phew, I was worried that 'fun' might be the marketing strategy
>>
I don't give a shit about magic, but this gives me more diverse character art so I'm for it
>>
>In the beginning they’d give you a card name and that was it
>I drew Force of Will early on with a picture of a male shaman. Now the card portrays a black woman, which is perfect. This is the art direction I received, ‘We’d like a black woman.’
It was pretty obvious, but it seems silly to praise a more restricted art direction. Magic's always been fairly inclusive without a real need to force it.

I mean, you did have Gerrard and Urza, but then also Crovax, Sisay and Teferi. Not to mention Hannah, Orim and Mirri. And that's not even touching on the diverse population of Dominaria.
>>
>>46100893
Diversity
>>
HOL UP
*unsheaths fangs*
What youse tryin' to say is
*has most tribal support in standard*
What you mortals sayin
*stops breathing due to vampirism*
That we Volardens can
*puts on cape slowly falling back below the waistline*
That we can like get sum
*hisses loudly at sight of the sun*
Get sum of that you saying that
*avoids doesn't get in the way of himself*
Hol up so u be sayin is licks teeth and grins*
AAAAAAAAAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AYYYOOO
*smacks lips profusely*
SO HOL UP HOL UP
That THAT THIS MARKOV BOY HUR IS LORD *dies to removal*
AND WE WUZ VAMPIRES NSHEEEIT
>>
>>46100842
>le /pol/ meme xDDDD
>muh boys only club
2/10 made me reply

who cares if niggers, asians, the dutch and women play cards
>>
WE
>>
At least other terrible companies like GW haven't fallen to Wizard's level yet. I will enjoy my vampires actually looking like Eastern European monsters rather than having dreadlocks.
>>
>>46101633
WUZ
>>
Yet there are barely any Asians in non-Asian inspired settings.
As always Americans think only in black and white.
>>
>>46100842
>http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2016/03/18/for-magic-the-gathering-diversity-is-the-marketing-strategy/
Wow! Forbes is so clever, I never figured this before. Mind blown.
>>
>>46102093
This
I would love to see a block actually set in an African inspired setting. Ethiopian mythology is some of the coolest shit ever conceived. It would meet any goals of "Diversity" too.
>>
>>46100842
>>46100893
>can't access the site with ad-blocker on
Summarize the article, I can't be bothered to get to it.
>>
>>46101912
KANGZ
>>
>>46100842
Wizards and anyone that uses diversity as a marketing plan are scum.
Diversity should come natural if the setting allows it, rather than forced black vampires in the European setting.
Where were the white people in Tarkir or Kamigawa?
If it doesn't make sense to put someone of a certain ethnicity in, don't. And in Innistrad it certainly doesn't make sense.
>>
>>46100842
>Wizards shamelessly exploits minorities for attention
Okay, what's the news here?
>>
>>46100842

Love it. My pic folder ends up on my players' character sheets. So having more non white ethnicities are a plus.
>>
>>46102338
N' SHIIIIET
>>
>>46102244
>block actually set in an African inspired setting
What is Visions and Mirage
>>
>>46100842
It's shit. Force diversity at best is visually jarring, usually compromises the integrity of the setting, and at worst is just an excuse to exclude white people from things.
>>
>>46100842
Time spent pandering to the "diversity" crowd is time that could have been spent writing better lore.

Also, Blackula looks retarded, not just in that art but on a conceptual level, straight up WE WUZ KANGS level retarded.
>>
>>46102866
Not to mention, not even helpful. They're not thinking of characters as individuals, but as labels, which is kind of the opposite goal of diversity. In Magic's case it's even worse since the medium isn't very conductive to storytelling and character building. Magic characters were one-note long before the diversity meme, only change is now the one note has to be chosen from a specific set of labels.

The worst cases are those where they don't even understand shit about the concept they're trying to represent. Looking at you, Narset.
>>
>>46100893
That is a damn good question. Every year it seems to go further and further away from its original direction and towards... something?
>>
>>46100842
Cohesive setting>"diversity"
>>
>>46102973
Magic lore was always terrible, shitty diversity is just the latest flavor of shit.
>>
>>46100967
And tumblerinas

>>46101260
>
MIRAGE 2 WHEN.
>>
>>46102866

>set has several not white people as well as mostly white people
>WEREBEINGEXCLUDED REEEEE
>>
>>46102755
>Spirit teferi telling other walks to GET OUT OF HIS ISLAND
YES
>>
>>46103122
Think he was referring to artificial diversity in general.
>>
>>46103122
It'd be also annoying if it was the other way around.

Same goes for theros in general(which was also pretty fucking racist).
>>
>>46103199
Why weren't there actual Mediterranean-looking people in Theros? Those people sure as fuck ain't white.
>>
>implying the frankly disgusting humanoid bias will ever stop
>implying true diversity will ever be achieved
>>
>>46103250
If true diversity can even be achieved, it sure as fuck won't be while people are talking about it.
>>
>>46103239
there were a couple, if I'm remembering it right

Not a whole lot considering it was a mediterranean set, but we wuz gods 'n shit.
>>
>>46103337
Yeah, Wizards seems to have this problem. Like changing Snapcaster Mage to black when he was already Asian.
>>
>>46103439
Well I mean it's to be expected. You're only diverse if you include african-dominarians.
>>
If they want to promote diversity, give Koth more stories. Bring him back, leave New Phyrexia. It's clearly a lost cause. He needs to join the Gatewatch.
>>
>>46101912
FANGZ
>>
>>46104331
I would love to see them continue from where New Phyrexia left off

It's not like it was a bad set or anything
>>
>>46103519
Okay I know this is sarcasm but I seriously hate the "you need this to be diverse" trend. Making everyone tick all the boxes on an arbitrary checklist just promotes quantity over quality (of character/writing), I'd rather see a handful of minorities treated as actual characters than an entire cast of items on a census form.
>>
>>46104811
It was second to OG Mirrodin for the worst standard ever.
>>
>>46101639
Though the idea of a rastafarian vampire piques a strange curiosity.
>>
>>46100842
Diversity for diversity's sake is just tokenism and pandering. It's obviously a bad thing on principle, but people are afraid of critiquing it for being labeled as part of an undesirable group.

We'll have to see whether the game as a whole suffers, but it doesn't bode well for their mentality at the least. As long as the art remains decent looking though, I imagine people won't have a strong negative reaction.
>>
File: Whispers_of_the_Muse.jpg (101 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
Whispers_of_the_Muse.jpg
101 KB, 640x478
>>46105103
not exactly rastafarian, but mtg's already done it
>>
>>46100842

I just wish when they made stuff "diverse" they did it in a way that makes sense. Like, Innistrad is a very European setting, so random Rasta-Vampire in otherwise European armor looks super out of place. Like the head was painted on a white person for diversity points. I dunno, have some sailors from another part of the world or something. Random black people (and let's be honest, it's always black) don't work in a setting with a strong Ethnic component to its mythology.
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 158x221) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 158x221
>>
>>46106365
>blacula for ants
>>
File: th.jpg (14 KB, 214x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
14 KB, 214x300
>>46106379
>>
>>46104811
He could show up in an other story, escaping from new Phyrexia. I mean, we know the plane has fallen so maybe he's traveling?
>>
File: soldierToekn.jpg (43 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
soldierToekn.jpg
43 KB, 265x370
>yfw your opponent whips out this token on you turn 2

I can't believe this piece of shit exists.
>>
>>46107148
Any deck that runs precinct captain should ALWAYS run this art-version.
>>
>>46102246
Same. It's a long-standing tradition to pastebin raw text from an article or screencap the important bits. I'm not supporting those guys.
>>
>>46103044

Forbes.com is just a blog-publishing site now.

Anyone can have a Forbes blog.

For the past 5 years or so, lots of MTG guys moved to Forbes for some reason.
>>
>>46100842
Diversity is everyone's market strategy. It doesn't mean shit, as they do things the same way, just with a black guy or a tranny woman as the art.

My local game shop is still 90% white men and the 10% of west coast trannies.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.