[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get behind the naming of the tyranids. I mean,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Tyrwar.jpg (272 KB, 1107x1024) Image search: [Google]
Tyrwar.jpg
272 KB, 1107x1024
I don't get behind the naming of the tyranids.

I mean, I know GW's IoM uses an own version of latin and invents new words and so on. But tyranids don't make any sense at all to me.

Carnifex. Carni for meat/flesh (understandable) and fex for "producer" or "maker"?
I understand it sounds nice, but how is a Carnifex meant to "produce" meat and not eating/absorbing it? (-trophe)

Zoanthropes/Venomthropes.
Anthropos, like, "human"? What? Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Weirdly, in the german version they're called Zoantrophen/Toxotrophen. I don't know if it's because GW thought germans couldn't pronounce it correctly or they acknowledged their fuckup and changed it to -trophe for "eating" which makes sense for tyranids.

So, am I missing something or doesn't GW give a damn about naming their creations plausibly?
>>
Because Latin and Gothic are not the same language
>>
Carnifex= The executioner
in latin
>>
>>46099673
>Carnifex.

Butcher. As in this beastie will butcher people.

>Zoanthropes

From Zoanthropy, a madness where people believe they are animals. Weaker connection, but basically because they're crazy psychic animals.

>Venomthropes

Later day Tyranid unit with no thought behind it besides it shares a look with the Zoanthorpe but is poisonous.
>>
>>46099673
Tyranids are named that because the designers wanted to remind people of tyrants/tyranny and dinosaurs (tyrannosaurus)
>>
>>46099673
>I mean, I know GW's IoM uses an own version of latin and invents new words and so on.

Nope. Latin is just a representation for high gothic.
Both are spoken by the clerus and the elite.

What high or low gothic actually sound like is left completely open.
>>
>>46099673
Tyranids->Tyran (first imperial planet with a recorded attack of them) + idi/ids (an addition to a noun meaning "son of-", "spawn of-")
Carnifex means executioner

You're right though, GW doesn't give a flying fuck
>>
>>46101194
>What high or low gothic actually sound like is left completely open.

I always thought High Gothic = Faux Latin and Low Gothic = Modern English
>>
>>46103859
>Faux Latin and Modern English

Those are proxies for what the languages actually would be in-setting. It's sort of like LotR - Frodo and Sam don't really speak English (and their names aren't even Frodo or Sam), it's just that English represents the in-setting language called Westron.

But you might already get this and I just misunderstood what you were saying.
>>
>>46104033
Imps actually have English and Latin written and inscribed on their banners, armour, weapons and buildings though.
>>
File: Rhomphia3.jpg (24 KB, 558x204) Image search: [Google]
Rhomphia3.jpg
24 KB, 558x204
>>46099673
I know specifically that Carnifex was the term for the person in charge of killing wounded gladiators at the arena, too unpopular or crippled to continue.

That's the reason I named a kinda roman fantasy death god after it. With a flax, the weapon both sword and scythe.

I know the pic is of a Rhompaia.
>>
>>46104121
Again thats just translation for our convenience.
>>
>>46106632
I don't buy it, it takes up real physical space.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.