[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 35
File: board games.jpg (509 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
board games.jpg
509 KB, 900x900
Welcome to the new /bgg/ thread.

Useful Links:
http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

Google Docs /bgg/ Games Recommendation Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1siC2-T6xJjuzNq6JDmvHfnCbo82px8JZuczv8GZgw-8/edit#gid=654023994

>Which 2016 releases are you most excited for?
>What are your 3 favorite games?
>What's your favorite genre?
>If you had to make a group of nongamers interested in board games, which 5 games would you bring to ignite their board game spark?
>>
>If you had to make a group of nongamers interested in board games, which 5 games would you bring to ignite their board game spark?

Cosmic Encounter
Secret Hitler
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Dead of Winter
Roll for the Galaxy
>>
have anybody played Islebound, is it any good?
>>
>>46097080
m8s, you gotta help me with this. You seem like the board genies of this 4chan board and I need someone to figure out the clues on how to find a game for me.

Like, it should be easy to google, but no, fuck that shit. I know it's not "Colt Express" or any of that shit. The board game in itself had no board, it had a fucking electronic train that the colorful bandits had to climb upon. They also had to get go through various buildings that were also made out of plastic. I don't fucking know what the goal was, probably getting onto the moving train and shit like that.
Since I come from Germany, it might be a german guy, but the fuck do I know, I haven't played it since 1999.

This is giving me diarrhea from not finding it (I used to have it once a week around 4pm) and I want it to stop.
>>
>>46097080
>>Which 2016 releases are you most excited for?

Nemo from the recent KS. That and I'm waiting on the Eminent Domain expansion KS stuff to arrive.

>>What are your 3 favorite games?

I can't really say I've got 'favorite games'. I get a craving for something and I break out that part of my collection. For example, I picked up Neuroshima Hex, and Stronghold 2nd Ed recently, and I haven't had a chance to play either yet. I want to play them soon - but they aren't 'favorites'.

>>What's your favorite genre?

War games - sadly it's the genre that's hardest for me to get to the table regularly. After that, it'd be Space 4x and a tie between Ameri-trash and Euro games. I like the meatier games, but they're harder to get to the table due to the time commitment required.

>>If you had to make a group of nongamers interested in board games, which 5 games would you bring to ignite their board game spark?

I'd try and bring something from the various 'main' categories of board gaming:

For wargaming - I'd go with OGRE, it's fast easy to teach (especially the base game), and provides a good understanding of basic war gaming concepts.

For Euro games - I'd go with 7 Wonders since it's a good example, and has minimal down time with all players taking their turns at the same time. Alternately I'd go with Pandemic or Stone Age.

For Ameritrash, I'd either go with Cosmic Encounter, or maybe Gears of War on the co-op side of things.

For Space 4x - I'd go with Eclipse (not because it's the best 4x out there) because it's fairly easy to teach.

Social Deduction / Bluffing: Dark Moon (formerly BSG express) - great example of the concept, easy to teach, and it plays out fairly quickly even with larger groups.
>>
>>46098002
What would you say is the best 4x game? Eclipse is pretty high on boardgamegeek.
>>
File: 08072.png (70 KB, 300x418) Image search: [Google]
08072.png
70 KB, 300x418
>>46097080
Gettin pretty hype to get my hands on the new edition of Mare Nostrum.
Bitch I don't have time for this today. Rex, Netrunner, TI3 as a shot from the hip.
Area Control with hidden information and strong player asymmetry.
Sheriff of Nottingham
Cosmic Encounter
Kemet
Spartacus
King of Tokyo
Maybe Chaosmos as a runner-up, but the goofy art will turn some people off too much.
>>
>>46098073
TI3 if you've got time and patience for it, Exodus if you don't. That said, I haven't played some of the less popular ones like space empires and hegemonic.

He's right about Eclipse being super easy to teach though, the player board/aids are extremely smart.
>>
File: 1425257790209.jpg (332 KB, 924x979) Image search: [Google]
1425257790209.jpg
332 KB, 924x979
>>46098073
That's a tough call as there are a number of 4x games out there, and even more '4x like' games which fit the space empire building ideal, but don't have all four of the 4x mechanics.

>>46098191
>TI3 if you've got time and patience for it.

TI3 is a game hard to nail down as it also fits into the 'Grand Strategy' games category too. But it is a hell of a lot of fun when the players get into it.

And Pic-related is still my favorite for "Wow, that's 'hard core'."
>>
File: xcom board game soldiers.jpg (232 KB, 1200x804) Image search: [Google]
xcom board game soldiers.jpg
232 KB, 1200x804
Posting about my idea again.

I want to make a board game inspired by MGSV, XCOM, Assassin's Creed, etcetera. A base building game where you send your people out on missions. Currently torn between how to handle "Away team" members, and whether I should go with something like the XCOM board game (where everyone has the same stats) or more like Dead of Winter (where you have unique characters).

Ultimately it's about running an Adventurer's Guild, sending people out on missions, all that junk. Managing your resources and funds and also how much people like you.

Any games I should look into? Specifically any particular Runthrough or Watch It Played type videos?
>>
I don't give a fuck about anything coming out this year, to be honest.
Ankh Morpork, Love Letter, One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Hidden objective
ONUW, Love Letter, Gemblo, Tales of The Arabian Nights (time allowing) and Niche; it's a fun little card game made by a guy I know that can take about that takes about 15 minutes and can be played by 7 people at most.
>>
>>46100324
>>Which 2016 releases are you most excited for?
>I don't give a fuck about anything coming out this year, to be honest.

You say that now! Let's check your wallet at the end of the year. ;)
>>
>>46097080

Goatsebusters 2
Last Friday
Legendary : Big Trouble in Little China
Legendary Encounters : Alien Expansion

Pandemic
Legendary Encounters
Escape : curse of the temple

Oddly enough, Dungeon Crawl (I know none are in my top 3)

Pandemic
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Ticket to Ride
Guillotine
Avec Caesar
>>
>>46100382
Ehhhh... I've still got some games I backed on Kickstarter that haven't come out yet, so technically speaking there are a few games still to be released that I'm interested in. That said, I've got pretty much everything on my wishlist, and everything still on there is at least a few years old (Corto, Red Dragon Inn). Maybe I'll get to demo/playtest something at the UK Games Expo this year that catches my eye, or some new microgame will make me open my wallet, but I can't say I'm that interested in anything coming out right now.
>>
>>46101077
For me, I think most of the big games that are due to come out this year, were all announced late 2015, which has caused a lot of the hype to fade. Also I'm the kinda guy who doesn't buy until I've played a game in a demo or at a con, so I tend to be looking at last year's releases more than this year's when updating a buylist.
>>
This thread is super slow.
>>
>>46097755
No hits under the Trains category in BGG?
>>
Ehhh I can't really think of any off the top of my head. I'm getting Conan, The Others, maybe a few others I'm not remembering off the top of me head.

These kinds of questions never really work for me. I mean that by my favorites are always shifting and it depends on the situation. The 3 games I can play on a whim are dungeonquest, thunderstone, and...well I'll let you guess the third.

Actually had to look this up, I always just go with euro or ameritrash. I guess thematic games? I like playing with a bunch of people, doing social coop things, and cracking the skulls of monsters. The bigger and meaner the better.

I'm going to answer this question like a twat and say that if someone identifies as a non gamer, and upon seeing my library or the inventory of a store and has no interest in playing any of it, then I won't even try to convert them. Lack of initiative is a disgusting trait for people to have.

>COUNTER QUESTION

Well, sort of, this is directed at anyone. What's your favorite 1vmany game? I've been meaning to pick up level 7 omega protocol, and fury of dracula, but I'm already reaching critical levels of games like that, and I find myself doing teaching games all day erry day, so yeah. What's bad is when such games are campaign based, like descent. I'm beyond tired of the fat goblin mission.
>>
>>46097080

The resistance
Sheriff of Nottingham
Dominon
Above & Below
Machi Koro
>>
File: pic906495[1].jpg (385 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
pic906495[1].jpg
385 KB, 900x900
Finally got the Lord of the Rings LCG. All the components are nice and the artwork is great. Reading through the rulebook tonight and I am going to play tomorrow. Really glad I bought it.
>>
>>46098763
>get amazing table built
>play with friends once its built
>"yeah were kinda over this game to be honest"

almost certain that would happen to me lol
>>
>>46103847

They need a coop LCG. Im not sure how they worked but like the WoW Raid decks sounded.
>>
>>46104284
>They need a coop LCG
What do you mean by need ? The lotr one is CO-OP. Also technically not a LCG but there is also the warhammer card game Space Hulk Death Angel that is CO-OP and has some expansions.
>>
Can anyone suggest me some games with unique character cards, like Arkham Horror?

How many stats is too many for a character to have?
>>
>>46104912
eldritch horror

:^)
>>
>>46103847
I love this game with the only downside being I want every pack. The deck construction is so engaging.
>>
>>46102799
Dude, you've given us virtually *nothing* to go on. It's a board game without a board *maybe* - involving a train and there are plastic pieces. And you have no idea about the title, the rules, the country of origin or anything else remotely helpful. Honestly the description you've given makes it sound much like a children's toy than a board game.
>>
>>46105552
Something that isn't just the same game.
>>
I'm trying to fill up my CSI cart after getting a SW RPG kit and some LotR LCG packs. What's good to spend approximately 40 to 50 dollars on.
>>
>>46104912
Cosmic Encounter.
>>
>>46104912
Descent, Battlelore, various wargames, etc. Skirmish level games (am I using that right?) usually have unique unit stats.

Most I've seen is usually 3-4 stats, more are pretty rare.
>>
>>46106990
I'm thinking I might take a leaf from the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and have maybe three or four traits with different specializations.

Although the two things that come to my mind are Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill, which have six traits (9 if you count Arkham Horror's Sanity/Stamina and Focus).
>>
>>46105838
I was asking >>46097755 though, not the thread.
>>
File: Sample Character.png (702 KB, 721x523) Image search: [Google]
Sample Character.png
702 KB, 721x523
Making mock ups of cards to help give myself ideas.
>>
>>46107690
/gdg/ is up, post something there too
>>
>>46107779
Good idea.
>>
>>46103012
>1vmany games

On that note, has anyone tried playing specter ops?
>>
>>46097080
Millennium Blades. Can't get here fast enough. Needs to be here yesterday.
Also hyped for Gloomhaven, but that's further away.

BattleCON (blatant L99 fanboy), Cthulhu Wars, and Terra Mystica. I need to play Terra Mystica again...

I like damn near everything, honestly. I guess I have a soft spot for open information games, as evidenced by my favorite games above.

Of the games that I own? That's a bit tough, I have terrible intro games. I suppose I would bring:

- Cthulhu Wars (actually really simple, super impressive to see on the table too)
- The Grizzled
- Super Motherload
- Click Clack Lumberjack
- Among the Stars

Not exactly your standard pack of intro games, but they're all fairly light and easy to teach (<10 minutes each) and provides a good spread of games.
>>
>>46097755
Googled in english and german but only found modern train games, model railroads and kid playsets, anon, sorry. Remember any other details that could help the search?
>>
>>46107670
Sorry. I thought it was the original Anon again.
>>
/tg/ make me good at puerto rico
>>
>>46108058
Sure. Compared to fury of dracula, it's not as long or suspensful/stressful (for better or worse, depending on your tastes), but is quite a bit faster, a bit more random, and, in my opinion, has much more interesting unique player/character/equipment abilities.

I think it got a little overhyped on release, but the downswell in attention it got after FoD released is at least as much an overreaction in my opinion, don't at all regret owning both.
>>
>>46109826
Do not fall for indigo meme
>>
Help me /bgg/

I bought machi koro intending to play it as a primarily 2 player game, and that was a terrible idea.

Now I need to trade it for a game with a similar msrp($30)

What LIGHT 2 player games are there at this pricement area?

I can't just buy a new game because i am literally counting pennies at this point in me life until i can find another job

Ideally 2-4 but 2p must be ok, in machi koro its imballanced.
>>
>>46110392
>What LIGHT 2 player games are there at this pricement area?
Hive. 2P max, but good abstract strategy. That or The Duke.

Also my apologies on Machi Koro, it's really a rainy day game tops. Nothing wrong but nothing particularly engaging or driving.
>>
>>46110455
The Duke is also available as a print and play if you feel inclined to make your own and save some $$$. Hope you find another job soon. Unemployment sucks.
>>
>>46110392
If you have sleeves and shit magic cards at home along with a printer you could print out all kinds of things. Such as the BattleCON print and play.
>>
>>46110455
>>46110498
>>46110652

Thank you
>>
>>46109826
Diversify yo bonds, nigga.
>>
>>46108058
I have, why?
>>
>>46110392
Jaipur is always a solid choice for 2p. Arboretum looks to be the same, though I'm unsure of the prices for both. Maybe you can trade Machi Koro in for them?
>>
>>46110392
I fkn love Neuroshima Hex and Summoner Wars. Both base games should be $30ish, IIRC
>>
I saw that Jasco games is making sculpts for Street Fighter characters for their Universal Fighting System game. They're also bringing World of Indines fighters to UFS soo... Battlecon minis when?

>>46097080
>2016
In no particular order:
Plums (English edition of Pi Mal Pflaumen)
Factory Funner
The Grizzled expansion
Innovation Deluxe
Dominion expansion
Ponzi Scheme (to be released in US in 2016)
Broom Service the card game
Bear Valley
I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting
>which 5 gateways would I bring
I don't own a lot of gateways but
-Deep Sea Adventure
-Hanabi
-The Resistance
-Lords of Waterdeep
-Gravwell
>>

Race For the Galaxy for mostly 2 players but works well with 3 or 4. Very inteligent and awesome game.

Lords of Waterdeep with expansion for a fun and light game.

Dominant Species for something heavy and super backstabby. But very good.

Wrath of Ashardalon. Easy to teach as you play. Full coop and very visual as a game. Super fun.

Ticket to Ride. Looks gorgeous and plays really smooth.

Lords of Waterdeep is a gateway boardgame that is really nice

Colt Express is incredibly fun to play and it takes under 5 minutes to teach. Endless fun.

Carcassonne for a group that likes slower games. Very strategic and easy to teach.
>>
>discover interesting as fuck board game
>4 player only lol
>Group is usually 5 or 6

fuck
>>
>>46113844
Welcome to the gulag, brother.

5/6 player groups really are the worst. All the heavy games stop working at 4. The social games don't start working until at least 7. And there's not enough people to split into groups.
>>
>>46113888

what are some good japan themed games
>>
>>46113916
Mottainai
Tokaido
Shogun
Tsuro
Samurai
>>
File: The Duke alternate board.png (1 MB, 2250x3000) Image search: [Google]
The Duke alternate board.png
1 MB, 2250x3000
>>46110669
And I should have included this in my earlier reply. I made my own board for the The Duke print-n-play since the original board squares are barely larger than the chits themselves.
>>
>>46113916
That, uh, sure... A non sequitur, but sure.

I hear Yedo is a popular medium-light worker placement game. Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a supposedly amazing wooden block wargame. Nippon is a great ultra-heavy euro that came out recently. Shogun is a light area control that people like.

If you extend 'Japan themed' to anime themed the pool grows significantly. You start getting stuff like Tragedy Looper, which is an utterly unique and super cool deduction game, games like Super Dungeon Explore adn Ninja All Stars, and all kinds of deckbuilders because apparently dem Japs lover deckbuilders.
>>
File: Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg (2 MB, 2416x1920) Image search: [Google]
Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg
2 MB, 2416x1920
>>46113986
I printed my copies out on some 'marble' pattern office stock and was pleased with the results.
>>
File: Three Kingdoms.jpg (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Three Kingdoms.jpg
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>46113995
There's also 'Three Kingdoms' based on Chinese history that's supposed to be excellent as well. It's just hard to find. And I'd swear there was another game along the lines of Sekigahara / Shogun - but I can't think of the name of it for anything right now.
>>
>>46114087
But anon, Sekigahara and Shogun are totally different games. Shogun is a Martin Wallace euro-style area control with some interaction, while Sekigahara is a dyed-in-the-wool wargame with tons of wooden blocks on the board moving around representing armies.

Are you thinking of Wallenstein, another one of Martin Wallace's designs that also uses the big cube tower physical gimmick that Shogun has?
>>
/bgg/ can you recommend me gateway game for a girlfriend?

I like Puerto Rico, Heroquest and Dead of Winter.
She likes cute animals and China/Japan war themes.

I showed her Takenoko online but she wasn't that much interested. Haven't tried playing it with her though
>>
File: pic2585121.png (2 MB, 3600x2400) Image search: [Google]
pic2585121.png
2 MB, 3600x2400
>>46114217
You should get High Frontier: 3rd Edition for the two of you when it comes out.

Pic related.
>>
>>46114257
>when it comes out.

When is that? Always wanted it.
>>
>>46114257
looks way complicated for her. I think you are trolling me.
>>
>>46114373
>When is that? Always wanted it.
Approximately five months after One Small Step decides to pull their heads out of their asses and actually starts printing the game.

Hasn't happened yet. Game is six months late and they still haven't started production. Damnit Phil, I love your shit but you picked a fucking stinker of a company to produce this game for you.
>>
File: leaving earth.jpg (346 KB, 575x750) Image search: [Google]
leaving earth.jpg
346 KB, 575x750
>>46114425
Well shit. How about pic related? People keep comparing it to High Frontier and it sounds pretty good. Difficult to find though.
>>
>>46114519
No clue personally, heard good things about it too but haven't looked at it at all.
>>
Anyone wanna play something on tabletop simulator?
Been trying to find a consistent group
>>
Who's the best character to pick in Betrayal House On The Hill?

I'm guessing it's either Ox or the two little boys but I'm not so sure.
>>
>>46110964
I was just wondering what your opinion on it was. I've been thinking about buying it
>>
File: image.jpg (446 KB, 1159x1759) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
446 KB, 1159x1759
>>46114217
This doesn't really go along with what your gf likes but this is a fun and quick game I've bought recently
>>
>>46097080
Don't know, only follow the GMT Games updates really, so I don't have a good idea of what other stuff is being released.

Triumph&Tragedy
Dominant Species
No third jumps directly to mind.

I don't have one.

Uhhh, this list is gonna suck for beginners probably -
7 Wonders
Citadels
Dead of Winter (probably without a traitor a game or two)
Power Grid
Last and absolutely least, Ticket to Ride (in case they all have downs)

>>46113888
>All the heavy games stop working at 4.
Dude no, 5 is the problem number. Here's some games considered varying degrees of heavy that work very well with 6 players that I know of:

- Dominant Species
- Struggle of Empires (possibly OOP? Great at 5-7 players)
- Dune/Rex
- A Game of Thrones (YMMV with this one desu, I'm not fond of it actually but it will appeal to some)
- Mare Nostrum (I'm actually unsure here, but the base game with 5 players I know is good. New edition+expansion coming very soon I think!)
- Here I Stand (Wargame, heavy as fuck, 40+ pages rulebook)
- Virgin Queen ("Sequel" to Here I Stand, by all accounts a bit heavier than HIS)

Now a question for /bgg/ - anyone played Pax Baltica? Thoughts/criticisms/praise?
>>
>>46114217
Tsuro
>>
>>46113973
Hanabi
>>
>>46114120
>But anon, Sekigahara and Shogun are totally different games.

What of it? They're both Japan themed games which is exactly what the other Anon asked about, and neither were originally suggested by me.

> Are you thinking of Wallenstein, another one of Martin Wallace's designs that also uses the big cube tower physical gimmick that Shogun has?

No - and it's going to bug me all day unless I manage to figure out what the game I'm thinking of is...
>>
>>46115560
>Dude no, 5 is the problem number. Here's some games considered varying degrees of heavy that work very well with 6 players that I know of:
You misunderstand me; I meant that 4 is the last number that most heavy games work with. There are heavy games that support 5+, but they tend to be far longer than people want to commit to, because it's practically a guarantee that one of those 5-6 are feeling tired and don't want a 5 to 8 hour game.
>>
File: gf games v1.png (2 MB, 1625x1012) Image search: [Google]
gf games v1.png
2 MB, 1625x1012
>>46114217
The ever popular 'Girl Friend' games image. The Anon who created mentioned that one of these light-years they may update it.
>>
I know it's a little /v/ but thoughts on tabletop simulator vs tabletopia?

Since they are both on steam it might be nice to have a /tg/ virtual boardgame group
>>
>>46115824
A light-year is a unit of length, not time.
>>
>>46115224
Considering the haunts are totally random, there isn't a 'best' character.
>>
>>46115901
Hint - it takes a year for light to travel 1 light-year. As in 'who knows when the image will get updated'.
>>
>>46115806
Ah now I do understand, and yeah in that case I agree. I'm kind of lucky with regards to game group so longer games aren't off the table, they just require a bit of scheduling.
>>
File: gf recs.png (2 MB, 1625x1012) Image search: [Google]
gf recs.png
2 MB, 1625x1012
>>46115824
That's an older version and I have Monday off, so that's when I'm going to work on it again. Also gonna do one for games to play with children, thinking ages 5-10
>>
>>46115477
Oh, i gave that to my brother for christmas.

We played it a little, it was fun.
>>
>>46116005
Morels needs to be on that list, in the Light Dueling/Card Games spot. Chicks love morels.

Power Grid really does not belong as it is absolutely horrible with two players. It's good with 4 or more, but at 2 it blows chunks, even with the robots.

Personally I think BattleCON deserves to be in the heavier games section, but that's me personally.

You could probably stand to slash Pandemic with Pandemic Legacy. I hear that works out to be an absolutely amazing couples game.

Tragedy Looper could work in the deduction category. Not all gfs will like the theme, but if they do then it's a great two player game.

Ghost Stories is probably too heavy and/or too depressing for an introductory gf game.

I'd probably swap Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island. Desert is hands down the better game, but Island is still decent.
>>
>>46116005
Cool! I look forward to seeing the new version. Thanks. :)
>>
>>46116005
My brother's GF's favourite games are things like love letter, wrong cinderella, coup, ticket to ride... and a few others.
>>
My normie family has been into yhatzee and monopoly.
I introduced them to settlers of catan.
They loved it.
What do next, guys?
>>
>>46116367
Cosmic Encounter
>>
>>46116367
Play Catan with them some more.

Nobody into board games wants to hear this, but normies hate being forced to learn new things. As a show of good faith, let them stick to one primary board game for at least three plays.

Microgames are a good little filler to bring out and get them into the mindset of being ready for more, though. You can be like, "While we're waiting for the last player to join us at the table, he's another fun game that only takes three minutes!" and since they're already in a gaming mood you should be able to hit them with Love Letter no problem.

After a while of that, you can move on to things like Carcassonne.
>>
>>46116220
I'm with ya on Morels.

BattleCon might make it in (of two minds atm), but I know I'm swapping Mage Wars Arena out for Academy. It's the same game but streamlined and just does what it needs to in a better tigter package.

Pandemic is gonna stay, but I intend to put a note in about Legacy, the problem is you want whatever group you're playing Legacy with, to have at least 3-4 games of regular under their belt first, it helped our experience a ton. It has been a really nice couples weekly thing though, so it might make it's way in.

Desert has a note underneath Island for this same reason.

Tragedy Looper or TIME Stories will likely get in, not sure which is the better game as it took the wife a while to warm up to each, they're both really solid, but have thematic issues.

Ghost Stories/Power Grid are tricky. When making it the first time, and granted this was over the space of 4 hrs or so on a day I had off and was home and could bug the wife for input while also quick polling /tg/ it was generally agreed that in the co-op genre you need one "hard" game, I originally intended all the categories to go left to right lightest to heaviest but I gave up, gonna do that in the revision. Ghost Stories is rough, but too easy a co-op loses it's fun, Castle Panic is gonna be on the kid's list, but it'll never make it on the gf list because you want to play games with your significant other that are fun, but don't bore you to tears, otherwise why play with her? I'd put XCom in there instead, but I don't really think it works with 2.

Power Grid with the Robots, is prolly the most polarizing thing on the picture, but the game itself is so damn good, that even if it's better with 3-4 actual people, getting her to play it with robots at 2, is worth having as an option. It's tricky, because every game on the list I'd play with 2, and works, but doesn't mean it's as good as 3+
>>
>>46116005
>>46116220
>>46116478
Got some more for ya.

To be honest the dexterity category is probably dumb because most of those you've listed cost loads of money and are mostly just novelty games. If you want to keep them then I'd recommend swapping them for cheaper ones, such as Click Clack Lumberjack which is like $20.

For Euros, I've heard that 7 Wonders is actually at its best with 2. That's what Rahdo says, and Rahdo often knows what he's talking about. There's also 7 Wonders: Duel, which could go in dueling card games.

Dungeon Petz could go into the heavier category. It's a heavy euro, but the art and the theme is cute as fuck.

Innovation could slide right into the dueling card games spot. It's wacky crazy nonsensical awesomeness that is at its best with two. On the same note, Glory to Rome and Mottainai fill the same role.

Paperback is a great one for the deckbuilding category. Even has a co-op mode.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a great light coop game, if they can get into the theme.
>>
>>46116367
Carcassone or Ticket to ride maybe?
>>
>>46116463
Already hit them with love letter. Are the catan expansions worth it?
>>
>>46116478
>TIME Stories
TIME Stories has absolutely awful two player support. Dunno if the latest expansion pack fixed this, but if not I recommend against them.
>>
>>46116503
>Are the catan expansions worth it?
Whatever you do anon stay the fuck away from Shitties and Kniggers. It's awful.

Can't speak for Seafarers, as C&K turned me off on Catan forever.
>>
>>46116503
Seafarers is great.
>>46116534
I agree, C&K is not very good and changes the game too much.
>>
when the fuck did we get generals on the actual boards topic?
this is brand ass new shit.
>>
>>46116340
I'm gonna split the card/dueling section, as there's more options that could go in there pretty well, and I intend to add a microgame section for stuff like Love Letter. I want to keep it to stuff that works at 2, but might add a separate category of stuff like Coup that works for double dates or groups only.

>>46116492
7 Wonders duel is going on, and I do own and love Bling Bling Gemstone, which I avoided putting on last time because I had been shilling it for about 2 months at the time of making the list, but the dexterity section does need a little work, I'm prolly taking Terror in Meeple City off, it's loads of fun, but just hard to get to the table unless you've got 4 people really wanting to play. Rhino Hero might make it on, but not sure if I want that much crossover with the kid's list I'm working on too.

With ya on most of the other suggestions, but Glory to Rome will never make it onto any recommendation list I make until CGF loses the license, printing your own is too much cost compared to Mottainai, which might find a spot in the heavier dueling section I'm planning. Space Hulk tho, that's a hard sell, which I'd find easier to put on the list if it wasn't so damn light.

>>46116509
Yeah it's not fixed really, but I've found the theme to be easier to sell than anime murder mystery. Prolly won't make it on the list due to cost too, aside from dexterity I tried to keep the games on the lower end of that spectrum, because if she won't play it at least you're not out as much cash.
>>
>>46116638
On the dexterity topic I'm thinking Flick Em Up is going on in place of Catacombs, but only because of the new plastic edition, at half the price it seems like it fits a whole lot better.

Also thinking about adding a "dice chucker" category, for those of us who just want to roll buckets of dice every day, because it feels oh so good. If I do KoT and SW:Risk will be on there for sure.

Anyone else got any games their wife/gf/bg/husband/etc likes to play with them?
>>
>>46116853
My room mate loves Crossfire for whatever reason. She also plays a ton of Smash Up.
>>
File: af.jpg (820 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
af.jpg
820 KB, 2048x1536
Yo guys recommend me some top tier worker placement games.
>>
>>46116912
Argent: the Consortium
>>
File: IMG_20160317_194236.jpg (6 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_194236.jpg
6 MB, 4160x3120
Query to those here who play BattleCON: what do you think about the arenas, and what do you think about the boss characters (Dragon Burman, Runika & Ulstad, Twilight Magdelina, Havoc)?

Still debating what to include in my BattleCON to-go box (pic related) and I'm not certain if I should bring the bosses and about 18ish characters, the arenas and about 20ish characters, or just bring 28ish characters. I have all 79 characters so there's plenty to pick from, but 28 is getting to be too big of a number to be manageable; I find people tend to prefer having a smaller supply to choose from. But I'm not sure which 'extra' thing is best to bring instead of characters, as I've never actually played with arenas or the bosses, as I'd always rather either play a different matchup than use an arena or play using EX or Almighty characters instead of the bosses.

What do you guys think:

>~18 characters + 6 bosses
>~20 characters + 34 arena cards
>~28 characters
>>
>>46116912
>Yo guys recommend me some top tier worker placement games.

Are we talking complexity or quality of mechanics?

Stone Age is great, but not highly complex.
Higher on the complexity scale are going to be games like Terra Mystica, Caverna, Agricola, and my fav Archipelago.
>>
>>46108058
Specter Ops is interesting as far as a team game goes. You want to make sure the One is also very good at pokerface and tactics to make it a hard time for everyone else, and make sure everyone cooperates and doesn't try to take the lead for everyone else. It gets a little too stacked for the players when it's 4 v 1, but you can add a couple extra tricks for the 1 player to balance it a bit.

Also, try to remember the radar works based on where the car is, not where it is on the board.
>>
>>46116633
I don't know where the fuck you've been, the /bgg/ has been pretty consistent for almost two years, and not too uncommon before that.
>>
Anybody here owns Forbidden Stars and knows shit about it's rules?
I'm going to play my first game on monday and I'm not quite sure about movement yet.
>>
>>46120372
If you want to prep then go read the rulebook; I'm sure it's online, either on BGG or FFG's website.

It's a good game, though. Be prepared for at least 1 hour per player. And don't ever give up, even if you've been ground to the dust you still have a shot if the right things happen. Also don't wait around, you only get 24 actions total in the entire game so make every one count.
>>
>>46120421
Is it the same than the ones you get the game or something else?

What I'm asking is while you can move ground units between adjacent planets without a ship, does this apply to adjacent planets across systems?
>>
>>46120517
It is the same as the one in the box, typically.

You can move from adjacent planet to adjacent planet even across system boundaries, unless there is a warp storm there. Keep in mind that movement is orthogonal, so no diagonals are allowed. Space movement is tile to tile, from any void in the start tile to any void in the end tile. No direct path is necessary; spess ships can teleport.
>>
>>46120624
Okay, thank you.
Because some anon mentioned that there was some sort of mistake in either the reference book or the manual, so I wondered if that was maybe it.

Well I'm looking forward to playing it.
Might even play 2 full games of it.
>>
File: 4756.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
4756.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
Is Eclipse worth getting and if so which expansions are also recommendable?

Is it balanced? Have there been erratas?
>>
>>46120887
I personally dislike Eclipse. I find it to be less of a 4x game and more of a euro in space. It's got the trappings of a 4x game, but playing it feels like playing a euro.

I much prefer Exodus over Eclipse for my 4x gaming experience.
>>
>>46098763
How would they move pieces around and reach? You'd have to lean a lot of your body over to get to the center, or walk around to move pieces to the other side of the map
>>
Opinions on Eldritch Horror?
>>
>>46116912
Viticulture is the tits.
>>
>>46115363
We played with 4 people (3 hunters, 1 agent, which I think is considered the hardest?) a couple times and got a chance to see all the hunters in action. The unique powers were nice, components are nice, possibility for a traitor hunter (at higher player counts) was interesting. In our games the hunters lost every time, it seems really hard to corner and deal enough damage to the agent before they complete their objectives if they are not retarded.

Theme was....present? I still have no idea why a group of anthropomorphic animals were hunting another one in a sci-fi....lab? warehouse? Nothing was really explained or made sense.

Overall I think Fury of Dracula is a much better game, but people still like >>46110125 still enjoy Specter Ops after the hype has died, so try and play a couple rounds before you buy it.
>>
>>46115854
Tabletopia is a subscription service (and not out on steam for another week) so I will probably never do it. TTS has a serious price advantage in that regard

However if someone wants to invite /bgg/ to a game with his gold subscription I'll gladly come try it out
>>46116503
Seafarers lengthens set up time by about 20-30 minutes. Haven't played the others but they can't be too bad.
>>46116912
Keyflower
Agricola (wait for the 2016 edition senpai)
Tzolk'in (though I haven't tried it yet)
>>46117795
I've only played Larimore Burman, haven't even done an arena yet. I'd say look at the bosses and bring the one that looks most interesting to you. Burman is pretty interesting to play as, and he's fun to play against cooperatively. You should handpick the fighters playing against him because many fighters' UAs and styles just aren't useful/fun against Burman. You might want to avoid counterattackers, since Burman attacks last (not always but mostly). Fighters that want to get behind/push around their opponent are less interesting.
>>
>>46117795
>>46123213
Also I think the War arenas are boring, so you could probably leave just those out
>>
>>46116912
Yedo.
If anyone says Lords of Waterdeep, ignore them.
>>
>>46116912
Champions of Midgard
>>
>>46123213
>>46123341
Interesting. When you played Dragon Burman, which side won? I've heard Burman in particular is so powerful as to be unbeatable.

Also, I just realized that most of the setup info for these bosses is in the Devastation rulebook, which I can't fit in the War box. Means I'll have to either look it up on my phone, or print the pages out and fold them up. Not so keen on that.

I think the War arenas are fine; not every arena needs to have huge sweeping changes. Plus they take up literally no additional space so it's not like I'd save anything by cutting them.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
>>46126164
You can add Bloodborne to that image now. If you put games that aren't yet released on it, that is.
>>
>>46126267
I'm cautiously optimistic for Bloodborne, but I don't see how they can make it anything else than an RE deckbuilder rehash.
>>
>>46126435
Speaking of, the RE deckbuilder should be there.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2 MB, 1366x1618) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2 MB, 1366x1618
>>46126476
Here you go! And yeah, I don't put games on the lists that haven't been released. Counting your chickens, and all that.
>>
>>46114217
Cutesy stuff...
Zooloretto
Hey, that's my fish!
Sushi Go
Krosmaster
Super Dungeon Explore
That cat stacker game
Tanto Cuore if she can tolerate the obvious maid fetish
>>
What do you guys use for storage/organization for CCGs or games that just have a shit ton of cards ? I want to get some card sleeves but not sure if I should also buy some deck boxes as well. I would still be storing them in the original game box so I don't need the solid ones made out of wood or acrylic. I am not very artsy craftsy but I feel like I could also probably make something out of paper/carboard laying around the house that wouldn't look good but would be functional.
>>
>>46114217
You like dex games? Super Rhino and Animal Upon Animal are top-notch.
>>
File: Turn 9 - Final.jpg (239 KB, 1125x600) Image search: [Google]
Turn 9 - Final.jpg
239 KB, 1125x600
>>46120887
> Is Eclipse worth getting?

What are you looking to get out of it? Eclipse is a true 'Space 4x' game, but not necessarily the best 'Space 4x' game out there. Eclipse has the advantage of being easy to teach.

> and if so which expansions are also recommendable?

1. Rise of the Ancients brings new hexes plus new tech, and increases the max player count to 9 which will definitely make for a long game if the players aren't all experienced and able to process their turns quickly.

2. Ship Pack 1 - adds new ship models for the basic alien races in the game. Nice for the eye-candy, but not a 'required' add-on.

3. Shadows of the Rift - adds more new races, hexes, and tech. I own it but haven't played it yet.

4. Mini add-on packs. There are Nebula, Pulsar, and Super Nova packs that add one or two hexes each with special rules and some new tech chits. Nice but not 'must haves' either.

> Is it balanced?

That depends on which races you're talking about. Everyone can play as an identical human faction and things are equal. But for example, the 'Planta' (Plant People) are seriously unbalanced in a 1 vs 1 player game as they can out explore / expand other races in the early game. Without multiple players to keep them in check early on, they are going to dominate.

> Have there been erratas?
Yes - you can find them on the Board Game Geek site if you can't find them elsewhere.

Eclipse Pros:
True 4x game
Easy to teach
Can play out very quickly if all players know the rules well.
Fixed number of turns so all players know when the end is approaching.

Eclipse Cons:
Advanced Technology Development is based on random chit draws which can render good strategy moot.
Politics in the game is of very low value so many people don't bother with it.
As this anon mentioned >>46121088 people tend to play it by 'Turtling' (hiding and building up resources - much like a Euro game) during the early and mid game, and then killing each other at the end. Pic related.
>>
>>46128335
>4. Mini add-on packs. There are Nebula, Pulsar, and Super Nova packs that add one or two hexes each with special rules and some new tech chits. Nice but not 'must haves' either.
I don't like these, the systems are too powerful.
>>
>>46128335
Eclipse part 2...

Part of the problem with Space 4x games in general is that no one wants to get eliminated early obviously, and players are afraid of being 'That Guy' for knocking someone else out early and becoming a target / threat for everyone else to deal with. And this shows in games of Eclipse if your group isn't willing to be aggressive during the early and middle game.

The 'random tech' draw and purchasing system can be randomly punishing to certain players - so on one hand it can help level the playing field for players that are new / not super strategists, but on the other it can be very displeasing for those who are engaging in good play without being rewarded for it.

Politics - in Eclipse there is very little advantage to be gained in making political alliances beyond (hopefully) not being betrayed / attacked. (There's a very low penalty for breaking an alliance - and only if you're the last player to do so.)

I would love to see another edition of Eclipse where they fixed the above problems. The political alliances system would have to be totally reworked. But I could easily see a fix to the 'turtling' and tech issue rolled into one package:

Allow players to buy any 1 tech advancement (and only 1 per turn this way) regardless of if it's on the random tech chart for its original cost +6 science resources. If they have fought and won a battle last turn against an opponent that already owns the desired tech - then the player may buy said tech for only +3 (or even just +2) additional science resources instead.

This seems to me like it would ease some of the 'random tech availability' issues and reward more aggressive play styles in the early and mid game.
>>
>>46128680
So basically you wish Eclipse were a more Euro-style TI3.
>>
>>46126164
Are any of these worth playing?
>>
>>46128335
>>46128680
I'm going to put a dissenting voice here and say that the reason I feel like Eclipse is euro-ish is because of its economic system, not the standoffish turtley nature of the game. The way the player mat interacts with resources and especially money just really does not sit well with me. It feels all wrong to me. It really doesn't feel like any resource except money ever matters.
>>
>>46128481
>I don't like these, the systems are too powerful.

I didn't find 'Super Nova' to be awful in terms of balance. The fact that it can go "BOOM!" and self-destruct (happened to me twice in one game!) means that it can take all the resources and victory points with it when it goes.

The 'Pulsar' Expansion can be a bit unbalancing (players have to remember they can only use one extra action per Nebula per turn by moving their influence disk). But it becomes a very tempting target for hostile assaults too.

The 'Nebula' is simply a 3 hexes in 1 deal. The issue there is that it effectively offers 2 free tech advancements to whoever gets there first, but it has to be explored at least twice to collect, and it offers no victory points or other long term resources.
>>
>>46128780
No - that's the problem. Eclipse *rewards* not being aggressive until late in the game, which turns it into a Euro style resource management game for the first 6 or 7 turns out of a 9 turn game.

>>46128920
And two of the four main corner stones of 'Space 4x' are expansion and exploitation of resources. How else / what other mechanics would you implement in order to achieve controlled growth via player agency?

Hegemonic uses Military, Industrial, and Political influence all as mechanisms to attack and seize control of systems from opponents (unfortunately the rules are somewhat convoluted and the mechanics are identical for all the influence mechanisms). But it still uses a substantial resource management system, as does Exodus. So I'm not sure what alternative would meet the exploitation mechanic without feeling Euro-ish to you? I'm certainly hoping you have alternate examples. :)
>>
>>46128920
>It really doesn't feel like any resource except money ever matters.

But money (orange) is primarily there to pay 'up keep' costs for sectors owned, etc. Building ships takes materials (brown) and buying the better upgrades takes science (pink). In most games it's a matter of juggling all 3.
>>
>>46129157
I find Exodus to be totally fine in that regard. It's just Eclipse I have a problem with. I really can't properly elucidate why in a clear manner. I guess it just reminds me too much of games like Through the Ages, whereas with Exodus it's simple collect resources -> store them on sheet.
>>
>>46129321
And I don't have a problem with this at all. I haven't played enough Exodus (with Edge of Extinction add-on) yet to really get a feel for the game. It's why I tell people that Eclipse isn't a bad 'Space 4x' learner game, but that I think there are better offerings out there.

And I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but it looks interesting.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41519/shattered-dream-critiquing-4x-genre
>>
>>46120887
My group and I (4-5 players) have played 40-50 games of Eclipse, and we are all fairly aggressive players. It's a very sleek game of adapting to the current situation the best you can. I would really recommend it if your group is OK with aggressiveness (and have the ability to forgive). For some people, getting their first Dreadnought destroyed turn 2 makes them want to flip the table, others say nice play and keep trying to win. I would def. get the Rise of the Ancients expansion though (And perhaps leave out the tech "anti-matter splitter").

As an aside, I feel like people who have not played the game a large amount feel the best strategy is to turtle (and, in some niche cases, can be). Perhaps it's just us, but early game is a brutal death match of killing ancients. People really undervalue 2 extra victory points (plus early tile draws) that CANNOT be taken away from you at the end of the game. Others still feel like they lose if they do not expand quickly enough. I have played many games where I had only a single hex for the first 5 turns of the game and went on to win (key technology at the key time, ect). Actions are very powerful.
>>
>>46129544
Be forewarned that that article is entirely about 4x vidya, not board games. I read 2/3rds of the way through wondering when he'd start talking about board games, just to realize he never intended to.
>>
>>46129869
Thanks, I'll take a look at it, but I would have thought it also covered board games considering the number of shots of board games in the article itself. Bummer that it isn't about board games.
>>
>>46129551
I hope my group will evolve into aggressive empire builders. Killing the ancients in the beginning is often the only way to expand in some cases and/or get 'free' technologies. However it seems like lots of groups spread out mid-game rather than fight over sectors, and largely develop techs for their end-game strategy.
>>
>Watching Dicetower coverage of GAMA
>Suddenly Shadowrun Encounters
Oh boy! A Shadowrun game!
Never a big fan of the system (too crunchy for what it does along with shit balance), but love the setting and am happy to see a new game.
>Guy starts explaining it
>It's literally that shitty Bravest Warriors Dice Game with a Shadowrun theme pasted on

God fucking dammit.
>>
File: box-5.png (167 KB, 360x337) Image search: [Google]
box-5.png
167 KB, 360x337
What's /bgg/'s opinion on Abyss? I personally love it.
>>
>>46133150
I enjoy Angry Underwater Batman Face. It's a solid game.
>>
>>46133150
I love it
The expac is pretty cool as well and adds a new layer with Black Pearls
>>
>>46133197
Is there any plans for more expansions?
>>
>>46125003
The three allied fighters won, though I'll admit to pulling a LOT of punches to make it an interesting match. Of course my friends were none the wiser.
>>46133150
It's pretty good but I found the "going around to see if other people want X card for Y pearls before you flip over the next one, up to 5 times per turn" to be excruciating. Have not tried expansion and I think the guy I knew who had it got rid of it
>>
>>46126164
Isn't it practically impossible to find starcraft these days?
>>
>>46134517
http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarCraft-and-Brood-War-board-game-Fantasy-Flight-Games-plus-Typhon-promo-/252317044159?hash=item3abf448dbf:g:2HoAAOSwmmxW4w8U
Apparently not.
>>
anyone want to play something on tabletop simulator?
>>
>>46128899
According to BGG users and many reviewers, yes. That's why I put them on the recommendation list - because they're worth recommending.
>>46134517
I really need to add a note saying which ones are OOP...
>>
>>46121242
It's fun
>>
>>46133087
I've tried watching stuff from the Dicetower but they're too cringy for me
>>
>>46135292
I know right? They seem like a cult.
I am new to the hobby and so far these are the channels that are tolerable:
>Game Vine
>Board Game Geek
>boardgamecloset
>Gregory Cornell
>MoonratMedia
>The Game boy geek
>>
>>46135292
I enjoy their Top 10 videos, simply because it's fun to watch Sam, Zee and Tom bounce off each other and keep their own foibles in check... but yeah, the majority of their videos aren't much to write home about. I guess that's what happens when you're the only game in town.
>>
>>46134644
Dat price! Yikes! $175 opening bid - $250 buy it now. No bites on an opening bid, but odds are if they wait long enough someone will pay it.
>>
>>46135360
>I know right? They seem like a cult.

I'm not saying you have to like them, but "They seem like a cult"? You don't have much knowledge about cults do you.

Also, you might check out these and see if any others appeal to you...

Shut up & Sit Down
Rahdo
Ricky Royal from 'Box of Delights'
Rodney Smith (Watch It Played)
Board with Life?
Joel Eddy's Drive-thru reviews
Board game brawl
Crits Happen
Lance Myxter's (UndeadViking) reviews
GreyElephantGames
GAMEBOARD
Nick Sibicky
Rab Florence
>>
>>46135940
I really enjoy Watch It Played. Rodney is pretty chill and he explains the rules to games really well without having to scream or act like an autist. When he plays games with his kid they make sure to explain everything that they're doing so that it makes sense.
>>
Is Cutthroat Caverns any good?

Any good games in general that promote teamwork, but also backstabbery?
>>
>>46133150
I will rarely turn a game down, even if it's overproduced.

I mean, why everything is so big? The board, the lands, the lords...
>>
>>46136136
Cutthroat caverns is pretty good, I like it quite a bit, don't get to play it as much as I'd like. Only complaint I have is that it's not quite as lethal as I'd like, too many games have ended with everyone still alive with a reasonable amount of health. These days I houserule 15-25 less starting health, seems to help quite a bit.
>>
>>46135292
I watch Dice Tower only when they review a game that I'm interested in and can't find any other review out there, e.g. Pixel Tactics 4 and 5.

Other than that, I always cringe when Vasel says "play" as "pway".
>>
>>46135940
Gonna throw Paul Darcy in there too, the way he edits out camera movement to different sections of the board for the viewer's benefit despite being a troublesome thing to do is pretty pleasant.
>>
File: burgle bros.png (532 KB, 936x640) Image search: [Google]
burgle bros.png
532 KB, 936x640
Is this good?
>>
>>46136341
>Gonna throw Paul Darcy in there too

Thanks - I'll add Paul to the list and update the /bgg/ pastebin soon. Much appreciated.

And I did add a bunch from >>46135360 too. I like Gregory Cornell. It just seems to take a long time to do his stop-motion animation unfortunately, so it didn't seem like he had many videos.
>>
>>46121242
Really good. My group of friends who have never played board games and barely even know who Cthulhu is love it, and so do I.
Once you get the Forsaken Lore expansion and maybe one other there's pretty much infinite replay ability.
>>
File: Scythe.jpg (398 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Scythe.jpg
398 KB, 1500x1125
Is the hype justified?
>>
>>46138170
Don't know - but I'm hoping that it's a good game. I had a long discussion a couple threads back about whether or not it's a true '4x' game. I'd personally classify it as '4x like' rather than a true 4x game. That said, the game designer's previous work has been very well liked, so one can hope that this is just as good or better. I didn't go in on the KS, but I thought about it strongly. As for hype - what's the market value of hype these days? The only real answer we'll get is when the game hits the general market and lots of folks get a chance to try it out.
>>
>>46135360
>>46135360
>MoonratMedia
oh god I just watched one of their videos this morning. couldn't tell if they were playing the faggot hipster SJW meme ironically or straight
>>
>>46138282
>when the game hits the general market

Do you happen to know when that will be?
>>
>>46135292
I watch at 2x speed and most of the cringiness goes away. I also watch all of YouTube at 2x speed.
>>46135360
You're missing DriveThru review. He may be my favorite to recommend.
>>46136136
Yes, although I haven't played it in forever. You're going to want to get an expansion or two with it (Relics+Tombs, they're cheap). The only other game with teamwork and backstabbing worth mentioning would be Cosmic Encounter.
>>46136494
I would personally get it over Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert. If you want it get it now, his games go out of print quickly and can be notoriously hard to find.
>>46138170
>>46138282
How I would measure hype in this case: More people backed it than would enjoy it. At least I think so, and I expect a flood of secondhand sales a month or so after it hits.
>>
>>46135940
I like Rab Florence's stuff, I have fun just trying to decypher his heavy irish accent. Him doing his top 50 with his little 7y/o directing is just precious.
>>
>>46138463
Off the top of my head - I don't know. You can easily check the KS / their home page. Odds are extremely good they have that info listed.

>>46139084
> You're missing DriveThru review.

Added - thanks!

> How I would measure hype in this case: More people backed it than would enjoy it.

All things being equal, that isn't a bad metric for 'over-hyped'. Frankly I'll be surprised too if everyone that backed it likes it since it claims to be 4x / '4x like' which seems to be a fairly niche game style. Which means if there is a glut of copies for sale later, I'm OK with that. ;)
>>
>>46129551
Anyone looked at this? Tau Ceti - it's another Space 4x game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outerlimitgames/tau-ceti-planetary-crisis-0/description
>>
File: Cannot into board gaming.jpg (238 KB, 950x476) Image search: [Google]
Cannot into board gaming.jpg
238 KB, 950x476
>>46141737
Bump!
>>
>troyes
>tournay
>castles of burgundy
>terra mystica

Which one should I get next?
>>
>>46144867
All of them. The only acceptable course of action.
>>
/BGG/, I love Viticulture, Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep.
I have Skullport and Tuscany is on the way but what Worker Placement gold is my plebian buttock missing out on?
>>
File: domspec.jpg (583 KB, 1275x825) Image search: [Google]
domspec.jpg
583 KB, 1275x825
>>46145447
Dominant Species is my personal favorite when it comes to worker placement.
>>
>>46139725
and by Irish I mean Scottish
>>
File: Archipelago.jpg (230 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Archipelago.jpg
230 KB, 1024x768
>>46145447
If you and your friends like scheming and exploration - check out Archipelago.
>>
>>46144867
Only played Castles of Burgundy, but it was damn good fun.
>>
>>46145447
If you're looking for something heavier and definitely unique then check out Argent. By far my favorite worker placement game.
>>
File: relaxed_kitten[1].jpg (19 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
relaxed_kitten[1].jpg
19 KB, 400x272
Stress-free games... what makes you have fun without wracking your nerves?
>>
grump
>>
>>46149220
>>46115661
>>
>>46149220

Basically a contradiction in terms.

A game is a decision or series of decisions.
For the game to be any good those decisions need to be challenging and interesting. With that comes a degree of stress of one type or another applied to the players.

The most "relaxed" game I can think of which isn't completely pointless is Zendo.
Tales of Arabian Nights would be another possible.
>>
>>46152803
Some don't find certain decisions to be stressful though
>>
File: game collection may 2016.png (5 MB, 1427x3168) Image search: [Google]
game collection may 2016.png
5 MB, 1427x3168
I have a problem. But, it's a problem that makes me happy, so I guess it's good.

Noticed Pax Porfiriana Collectors Edition went on sale on CSI today. Been a big fan of Phil Eklund, so I checked it out and ended up ordering it. Of course, I needed to hit free shipping, so I added on Broom Service and Kemet.

Pic related is my collection at the moment, minus promos. It's... getting pretty up there. But I like everything in there, more or less.

Anybody else make recent purchases, or have big giant collection images they want to share? Collectors represent.
>>
>>46153724
You collection is half the size it appears, a lot o f that stuff are expansions which can be consolidated.
>>
>>46154106
This is true. In the past when I've posted it without expansions, however, I always got responses in the line of "oh man you don't have expansion X for game Y? you totally need to get it, it's fantastic and changes everything".

Just doesn't feel complete without the expansions in there, I guess. At least I hid all the promos; I have 23 of those for BattleCON alone...
>>
>>46153724
Just bought Sheriff of Nottingham, King of New York and Archipelago. Can't wait to play em.
>>
>>46153724
How is Viceroy?
>>
>>46154824
Viceroy is good. The law cards and other promos that Mayday added to it as stretch goals are horrible and need to be removed, but if you renovate it back to the original design it's a very solid medium euro. I didn't end up getting super blown away by it, but then again euros rarely do that to me anyways. I like 'em, but I rarely love 'em.
>>
File: pic2270070.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
pic2270070.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>46134517
Not impossible just pricey. I got sc+bw for about $300. You can probably get it for much lower if you can get it used.

16 games so far and for me price tag is totally worth it.

You need a dedicated group to get most of it.

The game takes a long time - each player adds about 45-60 minutes of playing time, 5hr games are not uncommon in my group (though it's mostly due to two players having AP and slowing the pace a LOT).

Teaching the game to new players takes a while and they need 2-3 games to start gitting gud
>>
>>46149220
Viticulture's pretty chill, imo
>>46153724
I bought Tales of the Arabian Nights for £32 recently. I've also been eyeing up the latest Star Wars Risk aka Ackbar's Gambit repackaged for casuals.
>>
>>46135292
I watch them because they're so autistically consistent. Sometimes I get a game even if they don't recommened it.

Their reviews followed by a reading of the rules is usually all I need to know if I want to buy the game or not. The Dicetower is just a very consistent and flavorless baseline.
>>
>>46126164
Just remembered this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12544/dungeons-dragons-boardgame-diablo-ii-edition

It's probably increadibly OOP and was last seen played by Bigfoot but hey!
>>
Working on the update for the gf/wife chart, but wasn't paying attention to image size when downloading pics of the box covers. Since it's gonna be a while would people rather games be organized within category alphabetically like last time, or by weight?
>>
>>46157364
By weight within a given category seems like it would be better.
>>
>>46157364
>Working on the update for the gf/wife chart
Guy who doesn't pop into these threads often but might have a girlfriend who loves board games soon. Mind explaining to me what information the gf/wife chart displays?
>>
>>46158552
Yeah that's what I thought

>>46158608
It's a list of games that have proven effective with wives/gfs based on my experience and input from other anons here. >>46116005
was the last revision I did, the current one has gone from 8 categories to 12. I'm bout 75% done with it so will post it up in the next 20 minutes or so.
>>
>>46158739
>It's a list of games that have proven effective with wives/gfs based on my experience and input from other anons
Interesting. Is there a parameter that corresponds to how much a girl is already into board games? Is that what "heaviness" is?
>>
>>46116478
>Desert has a note underneath Island for this same reason.

How different is Island from Desert? I recently picked up Desert and have played it 4 times with a few friends (lost twice, won twice) and we love it. Is it worth getting Island if we all really like Desert?
>>
>>46158860
I'm doing weight/heaviness based mostly on boardgamegeek ratings, something with a weight of 1 would be a simple dexterity game, 2 would be a light euro like say TtR, heavy wargames tend to clock in between 3.5-4.5. Pretty much every game on the list will be under 3, with only the "heavy" game section going above, Twilight Struggle clocks in at 3.5

As for how into games a girl already is? It's very hit or miss, I had the best success early with dexterity games, but a lot of times the theme and quality of art/production is as big a seller as the mechanics.

>>46158977
I actually put in Desert after realizing if I'm making a list for kids under 10, they'd both be on the same list. Island is easier by a decent chunk, if you love Desert it's not a bad pickup, but you might want to diversify your bonds and go with Pandemic or Flash Point.
>>
Anyone here play Boss Monsters?
>>
File: gf recs v3.png (3 MB, 1878x1800) Image search: [Google]
gf recs v3.png
3 MB, 1878x1800
>>46159112
Bought it without having played for a charity, it's now the turkey in my collection. Not bad just doesn't hit the nostalgia feel it tries for, though the free tablet app is decent. Upside is it takes less time than other games where the humor rubs off after a couple plays.

Also new chart.
>>
File: gf recs v3.png (3 MB, 1878x1672) Image search: [Google]
gf recs v3.png
3 MB, 1878x1672
>>46159177
Fuck's sake
>>
>>46159177
>>46159313
Should be "Deduction".
>>
>>46159368
Yeah that's what I get for doing this after being up til 3am again. I'll fix it after we get a couple anons bitching about game choices. Gonna try to get started on the one for kids, it's proving more difficult than I thought because so many are dexterity based.
>>
Anyone ever play any of the Shadowrun Crossfire expansions?
>>
>>46113999
I dream of putting my crappy amateur woodworking skills to the test and making a box for The Duke with the game grid on top of the box.
>>
>>46159313
I don't think 'Small World' is really 'mean'. Sure, it's an abstract wargame, but a lot of people play it and never even make that connect it's so abstract in that regard. Mostly people just laugh at the strange racial combinations like "Halfling Stone Giant" or something equally as nutty.
>>
>>46161277
That note is for Survive, the * are for the double date options as listed up top.
>>
>>46161334
Doh! Reading comprehension fail. I feel shame...
>>
>>46161375
All good, I'm the one who couldn't spell deduction right, bout to give up on the kids' game rec image and fix that just so it stops bugging me.
>>
I had a gift card lying around and since the stores it covered had absolutely nothing interesting but boardgames, that's what I got despite not really having an established group or anything.

I ended up buying Ticket to Ride: Europe and Terra Mystica.
TtR in the faint hope that I'll get rid of fucking Monopoly on family gatherings which is the only thing my rule-allergic family plays besides trivia games.
Terra Mystica because all the pieces make me rock hard. I hope I'll get my RPG group to play it but it'll probably be the beautiful dust collector I'll always look at with longing.

How badly did I fuck up, /tg/?
>>
>>46162006
That's not bad, I tend to look at Alhambra as the replacement for Monopoly (get money buy stuff) but TtR is generally nicer on the eyes and even if some anons here hate it, tends to go over with every group I pull it out for.

As for dust collectors, we all have at least one, if it makes you happy to look at, all the better.
>>
>>46116912
Viticulture: Essential Edition
- very thematic
- make wine
- a perfect excuse for irl alcoholism
- play 2-6 perfectly

Yedo
- show off you knowledge of japanese history by explaining the history of the Tokugawa shogunate
- own a clan of samurai or be a pimp
- very thematic game
>>
Got my first full game of Smash Up played yesterday. We actually had a lot of fun, and I know it's the type of thing my friends love, but I think it would get old pretty quick. And this feels weird saying but I desperately wanted instants and the ability to use talents on other players' turns. Or maybe I just want Magic with bases.

Also finally got Libertalia played again. I was glad I did, because it held up when I was expecting it to feel stale. One of the other players unfortunately gave up last round and started playing cards randomly, and I got very far ahead despite feeling like I didn't make any miraculous plays.
>>46149220
Several trick taking games
Generally any microgame
Dominion, Kingdom Builder can be relaxing
Carcassone
Dixit
I've heard Caverna is comfy
>>
>Skimming GAMA coverage
>Looney Pyramid Arcade looks amazing
>$77 msrp
It's very pretty but I can't figure when I'd ever need to drop that much on abstracts.

>>46162370
I think the dice tower guys said it best a couple weeks ago that the idea of Smash Up might be better than the execution. The expansions do help it though, and it hasn't quite run it's course yet, but not sure how many years they can keep throwing new decks out.
>>
>100 count of 3.5" x 4.5" zip lock baggies came in the mail
Welp, time to rebag 79 BattleCON characters from sandwich baggies to bags that fit the kits perfectly.
>>
>>46163263
the DEA will arrive in moments. do not attempt to flee.
>>
>>46163263
Kek - some kind Anon here pointed me to Amazon for a couple of sets of different sized zip lock baggies a while back. Now my boxes of chits and wooden blocks are much nicer looking and better organized. :)
>>
>>46163397
But these are so much nicer... Mr popo I dindu nuffin...
>>
Which one of these should I get?
http://www.boardgamebliss.com/collections/games-that-come-with-free-shipping
I don't really want to pay anymore than 50$ for one of those.
Sucks that I have to buy one of those for free shipping but whatta ya gonna do?
>>
>>46163780
>http://www.boardgamebliss.com/collections/games-that-come-with-free-shipping

Glass Road is a decent Euro game. The rest are either 'unknows' or are just cringe-worthy. (Catan I'm looking at you...)
>>
File: IMG_20160321_173632.jpg (5 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_173632.jpg
5 MB, 3120x4160
So much nicer. Oh my lord. I can actually stand looking at this box now!
>>
>>46163500
>suggest searching 4mil bags on Amazon
Police arrest dozens of anons

>find Starcraft on a BGG auction and post about it
Shipping from tikiland takes years

>create wife/gf chart
Can't spell simple words

I'm gonna finish that chart to play with your kids/nieces/nephews and someone's toddler is gonna get kidnapped and raped.
>>
File: roll for the galaxy.jpg (2 MB, 1700x1700) Image search: [Google]
roll for the galaxy.jpg
2 MB, 1700x1700
Is this worth getting?
>>
>>46163780
Clicked on Shitenno because the title has shit in the name and I'm easily amused. The customer review starts with "Bought this game on sale because I wanted free shipping for my entire shipment. Didn't expect it to be so good.". Some guy on BGG compared it to San Marco and San Marco was a pretty decent euro when I played it. It's just 30 maplebucks too.
Based on this extensive research, I'd say it would be my pick out of that sea of unknown games.
>>
>>46163880
>Kanban
>Inhabit the Earth
>Murano
>Russian Railroads
>Steam
>unknowns or cringe-worthy

I'm going to have to ask you to just get the fuck out.
>>
>>46159313
More like this?
>>
>>46143953
...didn't the Penny Arcade guys have some deck builder games of their own, and were trying to launch some tabletop stuff based on their side projects too?
>>
File: gf recs fixed.png (3 MB, 1878x1672) Image search: [Google]
gf recs fixed.png
3 MB, 1878x1672
>>46165537
Kid's one is gonna take me a couple days, maybe by Friday. Is there any other type of list people want? I only did this one because the general always sees people asking how to convert their gf. Posting the final revision, tightened spacing on it and spelled deduction right this time. If it needs another pass that's gonna be waiting a couple months.
>>
>>46116503
Seafarers has a lot of game modes beyhond expanding the base game. And they are easy to teach and play.

But really Carcassone is a great choice for a family game. If you have a large family try Dixit.
>>
>>46116912
Legacy The Testament of The Duke of Crecy.

It´s a fun game about building a dinasty.
>>
Went to one of my regular meetups tonight, and one of my favourites (I get some exercise walking there from the station, the food is good AND reasonably priced and you can). We played Smiley Face, (suprisingly good fun) and Shadow Hunters (I was the only one taking it seriously, as everyone else was looking up fucked up sexual acts on their phones. No, me neither). There was another game we played, but I'm damned if I can remember what it was called.
>>46159677
>Shadowrun Crossfire
Every time I see that name, I automatically think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50
>>46162006
Nah, you did good.
>>
>>46164011
If you like throwing dice, then yes, it is.
>>
>>46164011
I enjoy it. It can be fairly dividing, though.
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.