[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you say that sneaking out in the middle of the night without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1455233183735.jpg (38 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
1455233183735.jpg
38 KB, 560x420
Would you say that sneaking out in the middle of the night without telling your party, finding a contract killer, hiring yourself out as an assassin, taking a job, murdering some random noble that you were assigned to kill and then hiding from the law enforcement would justify having your alignment changed to chaotic evil?
>>
That's chaotic neutral, or neutral evil depending on why they did it.

Chaotic evil would be torturing the guy before you killed him.
>>
>>46094161
Did they abide by the contract? Lawful Evil at WORST, but you could justify any non-good, non-chaotic alignment. I don't even understand why this would be chaotic. Unless it's implying that a Lawful Evil character would hand themselves in when they committed a crime, which is obviously retarded.
>>
Even if it is chaotic evil, that sounds well-thought-out enough to basically justify it. Chaotic Evil is only really that bad when used as an excuse to impede the fun of the game, and it sounds like you're doing something relatively interesting.
>>
>chaotic evil
Assassins are non-good but not necessarily evil and ones that stick to their contracts are non-chaotic but not necessarily lawful.
>>
>>46094207
>>46094209

Well they basically did it just for the lols, and because they wanted to murder someone, and get some more money.
>>
>>46094431
Yup. Chaotic evil
>>
>>46094431
Okay, yea, Chaotic Evil.
>>
>>46094431
Maybe Neutral Evil, but Chaotic Evil could fit just fine too
>>
>>46094505
Nah. He ran over the line between neutral and chaotic at 55mph
>>
>>46094674
Just curious, what exactly defines 'neutral' with regards to chaos on law? I haven't really been able to figure that out.
>>
>>46094674
Eeeh, depends. He has an ACTUAL reason for doing it: money, so it fits the extreme-self-interest of Neutral Evil. If he ONLY did it for the lulz and money was a bonus, that's Chaotic Evil. If he did it for both in equal measure, that's arguably Neutral Evil.
>>
>>46094711

I've always looked at Neutral as either "disinterested" or "uninterested".

Chaotic tends to want to violate some external ethical construct for its own sake, Lawful tends to want to validate some external ethical construct for its own sake.

Neutral--and again, this is just me using a system which on its own doesn't work particularly well--for me is to either "validate an internal ethical construct" or "ignore existing ethical constructs".
>>
>>46094161

Funny, I once did exactly that. Except it was some guy who was shagging another dude's sister instead of a noble.

None of the other players objected to it, though one did say my CG alignment should have quotation marks around it after that.
>>
>>46095149
Wouldn't a chaotic character be more inclined to say, "Fuck it, he can bone whoever he wants"?
>>
>>46095229

Well, that hit was prefaced with me saying in-character "now is there anyone in this town I can kill for money?"

This was probably the closest I've ever come to playing a Chaotic Evil character. And the best part is it wasn't disruptive and I never had to justify my actions OOC to the other players.
>>
>>46095293
Not sure if would play at same table with. Even if you were trying for something, I won't play with a villainous character that is so abashedly unsubtle about their villainy, at least try to hide it!
>>
>>46094161
I'm just impressed that he could do all that in one night.
>>
>>46095418

This was a special circumstance. I was in a group with two other players who I'd known for several years. We were all pretty in sync with each other and we all knew how to play along with each other's characters.

In that game I also frequently claimed to be a paladin and even cheated the other players out of some gold I found on a person I killed. The GM said the guy had 300 gold on him, and since I was the only one examining the corpse I excitedly told the rest of the party he had 100 gold.

Make no mistake, this is absolutely not a character I would ever play with people who I haven't been playing with for a long time. The only reason I was able to get away with any of this stuff was because we all knew each other and wanted to have fun. Both the other players were playing characters too clueless to realistically know what I was doing, and they rolled with that. It was a blast.
>>
>>46095087
Personally, I look at 'lawful' and 'chaotic' as the MO of a character. Thus, a chaotic good character would prefer to work outside the system towards 'good', while a lawful good character prefers to work within the system.

In other words, where a character sits on the evil-good axis defines what they focus on, while where they sit on the chaos-law axis defines how they respond.

>>46095149
>>46095293
I would personally say that this isn't how a chaotic good character should be acting, and if one of my players did it I would tell them to change their alignment. Not judging or anything, just how I look at it.
>>
>>46095588

>if one of my players did it I would tell them to change their alignment.

Honestly I'm inclined to agree with you, but for whatever reason my GM never broached it. I guess he just didn't care about alignments.

My plan was for Chaotic Good to be the alignment she thought she was. Then I'd just play the character organically and see if a dissonance ever appeared.
>>
>>46095701
>My plan was for Chaotic Good to be the alignment she thought she was
I don't think characters in the setting actually think of alignments the same way players do.
Alignments are a construct in the game's rules.
A character may believe themselves to be "good" or law-abiding, but they don't think of it in terms of a chart. If that's not what you meant, sorry for misunderstanding.
>>
>>46095898

No you're getting it right. I know alignments are an abstraction.

But this character wasn't that bright and was more than a little broken, so I didn't think it was inappropriate or out of character for her to think alignments were a real thing.

This is the same party with an orc who thought he was made of silver after he killed a human-form werewolf with his bare hands. My character actually claiming to be Chaotic Good was not out of line with the party dynamic.
>>
>>46094711
I've always thought on it via methods.

Lawful follows a code, Organized.
Chaotic is outside any system. They tend to come at something sideways and not be very organized.

Neutral is just doesn't give a shit and will both follow any system if it works for them or trash it and go around it if it doesn't.
>>
>>46097636

>Neutral is just doesn't give a shit and will both follow any system if it works for them or trash it and go around it if it doesn't.

I'd say that's more chaotic.

A Chaotic Neutral character will still call the cops on someone if he thinks it'll get him out of a jam.
>>
>>46097875
Well yeah, but I would argue that that characterization of neutral is still correct. Just because a chaotic character would take a certain action doesn't mean a neutral character wouldn't.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.