[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So last night I was getting really tired when playing with my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: acqcTOt.jpg (559 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
acqcTOt.jpg
559 KB, 3264x2448
So last night I was getting really tired when playing with my group. They'd picked up a cursed book that was on a dead guy, and I told them they shouldn't do that without at least like, gloves or something - the thing could kill them. But they ignored me, and one player even went as far as to say that I could've killed this guy, Being all "oh, isn't this exactly the kinds of thing YOU make? How do you know SO much about it?"
But I remembered that I, in real life, had a blank notepad in my bag, so thought to hell with it. I summoned a similar cursed book, and threw it at him, both in AND out of character.

My DM liked the idea (not the violence) so he's now making props for our games more often.
Have you guys ever used props in your games? Have they been just for the big main plot items, or have you even had props for your everyday weapons? How'd it go?
>>
Never before, but your pic is giving me ideas, OP. Well done.
>>
File: 1457206304442.png (3 MB, 1536x1040) Image search: [Google]
1457206304442.png
3 MB, 1536x1040
>>46091661
On occasion.

http://blasphemoustomes.com/2016/02/16/episode-72-the-good-friends-hand-out-some-props/
>>
I think there's 2 categories that are good to have tangible at the table: Character items and story items.

The character items include neat ways to illustrate counters like casings for damage or snacks for rations, but also unique items that the PCs pick up and which serve a function in the game, like weapons.

The story items are central to the plot. They're handouts which contain clues, riddles, or maps. They may serve a specific function, or just provide information and flavoring. But they are always Chekhov's Gun in that the players know they will serve a function even if that remains mysterious simply because the GM or the author took the time to create them.

So story items always convey meta information merely by being there. I sometimes subvert this by giving out prop handouts early on which only convey flavor. But I never do it once the plot has gained tension because that would be too misleading. For example I started a 40s scenario with the characters confined on a Royal Navy brig with cigarettes and matches in period packaging, old timey playing cards, and a few classic glass bottles of Coke.
>>
File: DSC01221.jpg (373 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01221.jpg
373 KB, 1632x1224
>>
>>46091661
Only handouts (maps, letters, reward posters).
>>
>>
>>46095982
Any context?
>>
>>46095982
Holy shit tell me there's more of this. This is some real primo shitposting
>>
>>46091661
I like to have a player map of the campaign setting that roughly matches what the players know about the area. Outside the starting hex, things might become quite vague or even unreliable.

They can write on it, fill in blank spaces, and make more specific notes.

Then I have a hexmap behind the screen that'll give them precise distances.
>>
>>46091661
Mostly little handout, like newspaper article and pictures that I may or may not have modified to fit the setting.

A little picture of dead people to add some shock value to the campaign.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.