[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR in /tg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: AR.jpg (95 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
AR.jpg
95 KB, 640x360
https://www.egmnow.com/articles/previews/augmented-reality-from-castar-offers-another-unique-way-to-play-games/

I've just been alerted to this by my dad, and i see a lot of potential. What's this board's opinion on AR taking a leap into tabletop?
>>
>>46091041
>What's this board's opinion on AR taking a leap into tabletop?
Imagination trumps AR.
AR have the limitations of computer gaming and in some cases more.
>>
>>46091041
Eh. In terms of HUDs, I don't see a particular use outside of pointing at a figure to pull up stats/inventories/possible actions. Particle effects are just bland window dressing.

I can see the point inquickly setting up incredibly detailed backgrounds on the fly, but you're going to need either a whole lot of motors or a whole lot of prepared blocks to add height back in for you physical minis.

There's also, you know, the main problem we have now: lack of content. There's all these tools, but it takes skill to make really good looking backgrounds, and the people who can already spend their money and time making their own instead of buying some AR piece.
>>
It needs to stay out, completely. I don't care if the technology progresses, the only electronics that should be close to necessary at the gaming table is the tablet where you will find the rulebooks, and even then there should be a print alternative.
>>
Ignore the luddites, I think it's pretty neat.
>>
>>46091041
Can CastAR even look like the visualization in that pic, though? I thought it only worked in front of or "behind" that retroreflective surface.
>>
>>46091041
I want AR minis (that can display images I select) and also AoE/distance templates.
>>
interesting, but seems kind of pointless

Granted that kind of thing would be pretty handy to track wounds and status effects without having to fuss with tokens, but..
>>
File: zuckerberg.jpg (315 KB, 2048x1364) Image search: [Google]
zuckerberg.jpg
315 KB, 2048x1364
>>46091320
>Imagination trumps AR.
Point, but why not both?

>>46091041
Potential, yes, but not in immediate future. It will be another couple years before the AR kits are flexible and affordable enough to make their use commonplace.
>>
AR will not take the place of scifi-style projected holograms.
>>
No thanks. I might as well play a vidya game

I play pnp rpgs and tabletop wargames for a reason
>>
I for one am looking forward to it, as an enhancer to the gaming table itself. You still get the joy of creating the rooms and then crafting them inside the modeler. You can have different view settings than your players where you're tracking abilities, spells cast, where other monsters are in the dungeon and their stats without shuffling papers every 5 seconds. It will streamline the game but not take the point away whic for me has always been the choices and flexible story lines you can craft. The narrative is the point and the rest is, as another anon said, window dressing, this just makes the window dressing easier and better looking without a lot of man hours of work.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.