[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system would be good for X-COM or hell, even Starship Troopers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: x3q1f.jpg (91 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
x3q1f.jpg
91 KB, 1280x800
What system would be good for X-COM or hell, even Starship Troopers game?
>>
>>46089763
How about... No. Let's instead ask what setting could we use the X-COM System in.
>>
File: StarshipTroopers.jpg (711 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
StarshipTroopers.jpg
711 KB, 1280x720
bump
>>
Only war would be good for starship troopers
>>
3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars for Starship Troopers (the book version).
>>
>>46089763
You could probably use a lightened version of dark heresy. Strip out a lot of the psychic powers, change the failure to be more realistic penalties rather than demons exploding out. Split squaddies among players, give the people stuck with shit gear more to use than the first guy to get a plasma gun.

If you're going with ufo defense style, only let people use guardsmen, but you could also run investigation missions before terror missions, which would make a couple other classes useful. You'll probably want to make custom advance trees for the players, and I'd just use the vidya research times to handle R and D.
>>
>>46090160
Only War gives PCs comrades, which might help with conveying the lethality without being a dick to players.
Alternatively, grab a GURPS, Ultratech, Psionics, and Tactical Shooting, and go OPERATOR.
>>
>>46089763
What do you want the game to be about?
>>
>>46089763
Unisystem Classic, i.e All Flesh Must Be Eaten and/or Terra Primate, with All Tomorrow's Zombies for tech and psychic rules.
>>
>>46089763
>Starship Troopers game?
How about the Starship Troopers RPG?
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tx3jgg9hte50u/Starship_Troopers_RPG
>>
Savage Worlds worked for an XCom game I ran as a oneshot. It was great and pretty easy to do: just use the Sci-Fi companion and extrapolate from there what stuff would be. And yes, plasma is somehow even more fucking brutal than in the vidya.
40kids RPG is a terrible choice.
>>
>>46089910
This.
>>
>>46089763
X-com is a good system for x-com.
>>
>>46090610
Does it have power armor equipped with jet packs?
>>
File: starship troopers (17).webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
starship troopers (17).webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>46091868
It incorporates the book, movies, and animated series into one glorious whole
>>
>>46090603
These are all good. If we wanted to move from more RPG to more tabletop (which is fair for XCOM), Infinity works well. About the only thing that's different is that everyone's always on Overwatch in Infinity.
>>
>>46089763
I still just wanna know what the book version of the pseudo-arachnids would look like.

I can only find the movie version, my google-fu is weak.
>>
>>46091955
Ant-people with fusion guns.
>>
>>46091955
Sadly the official RPG never got round to statting out the pseudo-Arachnids from the book, it only managed grizzly and cougar suits (the actual ape-suits from the book) and Talents.
>>
File: Recon_RPG_1981.jpg (15 KB, 220x289) Image search: [Google]
Recon_RPG_1981.jpg
15 KB, 220x289
It might require a bit of homebrewing, but Recon would have the right amount of deadliness.
>>
>>46089763
Oddly enough, DnD 5th Edition... Or at least with fantasy people trying to kill UFOs.

I literally threw a UFO encounter from Xenonauts at my party during a 5e campaign once, and they handled it pretty well. The monk died pretty handily, but the rest of the party had a fun time of cover hopping and going all SWAT TEAM on the xrays inside.
>>
>Starship Troopers
I Love The Corp is basically "Starship Troopers + Aliens + Doom", and will be kickstarting in a few months

https://ilovethecorps.wordpress.com/
>>
File: aranae.jpg (34 KB, 221x305) Image search: [Google]
aranae.jpg
34 KB, 221x305
>>46091955
Probably a bit like this, from khurasan's unfinished totally-not-book-starship-troopers range.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.