[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting Dropzone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: w-492679-1213028330458.png (615 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
w-492679-1213028330458.png
615 KB, 1440x900
So I know it's not a game talked about on here much, but I've been thinking about playing Dropzone Commander. I backed the Polyversal kickstarter which is trying to make a generic 6mm sci-fi game and Hawk is supplying some Posthuman Republic minis as part of the kickstarter, but it looks like it won't get funded.

So I thought fuck it, I'm doing it for the PHR stuff anyway, might just get into Dropzone.

My questions would be how are the quality of the minis? And does the game flow well? Is it simplistic like 40k, or kinda in the middle like Warmachine or complicated as fuck like Infinity?

Pic semi-related, the giant scorpion mech PHR gets is a big draw for me
>>
>>46086913
I wouldn't say it was complicated. The game is extremely tight. The rules take a single session to get the jist of, the odd rule like barrage or focus might take a couple of practical examples but that's it. It's awesome to see anyone even mention the game here. I went to Invasion 2016 as a new player and it's my main game now. I've sold off my 40k stuff and my Aleph for infinity as these games just don't gel with me the way dropzone does.

If you can, have someone demo it for you. I was introduced with a demo game and picked it up pretty fast (considerably faster than I learned 40k and infinity)

Model quality is pretty high, the details are pretty great and even if you suck at painting they take washes and inks really well. you can just spray these things a colour, wash em for tone and pick out some choice deets and you're tabletop ready and actually looking pretty good. outside of the starter sets (hard plastic) everything is resin though. it's good resin but has the usual flash to clean etc.

PHR are a fun faction too, and the one I started with. faction balance is fairly solid, would only recommend avoiding Shaltari to a new player til they've learned the basic game structure as they kind of dick around with the rules.
>>
I've been quite enjoying Dropzone along side Warmachine these days, nice rule set that has a lot of tactical depth for all its apparent simplicity. The only part of the game I'd like to see changed is CQB because its so weirdly complex that we have to look it up every time.

On a related note, the fuck am I supposed to do as a UCM player against type 4 walkers? One of my buddies runs a list with Nemisis, a Hades, and two squads of Helios and nothing I throw at him can ever take them all down. On paper Falcons and a Phoenix should tear the walkers up but I can't get through the bazillion AA shots on fucking skimmers.

>pic related, the embodiment of my salt
>>
>>46091916
Looking at the thing, and having put together some guesswork based on models owned, I've thought that hitting it with longbows and the Kodiak's laser would be a safe way to take it down. Maybe if your opponent is marching it out, running some of those laser tanks. That said, I haven't personally played against it yet so I can't say if those would be effective.
>>
Man, /tg/ really doesn't give a shit shit about this game. Wonder why.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.