[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best video game translation of the experience of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 1370523425270.jpg (304 KB, 724x1024) Image search: [Google]
1370523425270.jpg
304 KB, 724x1024
What is the best video game translation of the experience of playing a tabletop role-playing game such as D&D?
>>
>>46086525
Bethesda games. It feels like playing a game with a GM that reads straight from the adventure and uses one of three voices for every character and they all love you.
>>
Baldur's Gate
Early Bethesda up to Morrowind, but Oblivion does feel more like a traditional fantasy setting.
Older JRPGs that was inspired by D&D. I was LITERALLY thinking about the old Final Fantasy, since 1 and 3 are pretty much D&D knockoffs, especially the former. I would recommend 2 but I'm not sure if you'd like it.
Also Wizardry.
>>
Dark Souls. You'll feel like you're under the thumb of a cruel GM who refuses to hold your hand, while still giving you the freedom to build your character how you want.
>>
>>46086610
>>46086657
Definitely Morrowind.
Maybe Oblivion.
Flat out "NO!" Skyrim.
>>
Really any old PC rpg would fit here.
>>46086657
I'd second final fantasy 1 and 3 for that. I don't know about 1, but 3 had a decent remake a while back
>>46087191
Well in terms of tabletop feel I don't think any of them are particularly close, but I'd say oblivion was worse than skyrim as a game at least., They have been getting progressively less like pen and paper games as they go on
>>
>>46087191
>>46087293
The sad part is personally like Skyrim, but if you're looking for something to resemble a tabletop then it's definitely not it.
>>
I play a doujin JRPG called cardwirth that's pretty like a TRPG.
>>
>>46086525

Funny, I've been playing Divinity - Original Sin and that's exactly how I've been feeling about it. A tabletop translation.
>>
Ultima 7 really gave me the "tabletop adventuring" feel. Especially with the inventory madness.
>>
>>46086525
Deus Ex just for rpgs in general.

Darkest Dungeon for OD&D.
>>
>>46090819
Just to clarify what I mean by Deus Ex, Warren Spector wrote an article two years prior to making Deus Ex that basically said that roleplaying has been completely forgot about by rpg developers and that sucks:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/197021/Warren_Spector_Who_forgot_the_role_in_RolePlaying_Games.php

Some more games that just really get you in the spirit of roleplaying:
Fallout 1 & 2
Neo Scavenger
>>
>>46086525
NWN2, the base campaign. It feels almost exactly like a campaign run by a shitty DM.
>>
>>46087170
I'm reasonably sure the whole game was directly inspired by DnD, to the point where a lot of enemies, weaknesses and locations are very similar indeed.
>>
Probably the earlier games of the Final Fantasy franchise.
>>
>>46086525
I have related question.

What vidya RPGs were based on something other than DnD?
>>
>>46093327
Shadowrun
>>
Dragon's Dogma

-Batshit plot full of holes
-GO FIGHT A DRAGON
-Rule of Cool combat
-obscene amount of minutiae and trap options that can be disregarded
>>
>>46093823
Yeah, Dragon's Dogma is probably the closest I've gotten to a tabletop vibe not based on D&D.
>>
>>46093823
>>46093859
dont forget the "create your own waifu/husbando" aspect of pawns
>>
>>46093823

Anyone think we'll get a sequel?

I fucking hope so. Combining DD's combat and exploration/environmental elements with some true roleplaying - dialogue choices, non-combat solutions to problems, etc - and a true open world that isn't just a series of corridors would be amazing.

Then again, we're talking about the Japanese, and so called Japanese 'Role-Playing' games have tended to derive solely from the combat and number crunching aspects of their tabletop counterparts.
>>
>>46087191
Morrowind was shit, even for its time. The level design is atrocious and the voice problem was even bigger. Not to mention all the fucked up interface and the bug farming.
"AAAH! yes."
>>
>>46094956
they made an MMO that is currently Japan only, but sources say that the success of the DDDA PC port may change some minds.
>>
>>46094978
wut

Also not OP, but about Dragon Dogma, is it good? Is it like Dark Souls with it's difficulty?
>>
File: 1448335417707.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1448335417707.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
Darklands
U7
FRUA
Dark Sun
>>
>>46086525
Troika's adaptation of Temple of Elemental Evil
>>
File: 1387338242929.jpg (29 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
1387338242929.jpg
29 KB, 316x202
>>46094978
>Morrowind was shit, even for its time.
>>>/trash/
>>
>>46095779
Dragon's Dogma and Dark souls have no similarities. DD is an action rpg with Cuhrazee combat, monster climbing, and waifu construction. It's like the noblebright to Dark Souls grimdark
>>
>>46095988
Alright, I'll check it out.

And as a misc question, how about Dragon Age?
>>
>>46095779
>Is it like Dark Souls with it's difficulty?
Not at all, the game is laughably easy if you stay in level-appropriate areas.

And the only reason higher level areas are "difficult" is because the way the game handles defense stats means you'll only be doing 1 damage per hit.
>>
>>46096024
>Dragon Age
You're a fag if you like these, no joke.

DAO is okay but bland as fuck, DA2 is trash beyond trash, DAI is an offline MMO in all the worst ways.
>>
>>46086610
>Bethesda games.
This. For more authenticity don't apply any patches.
>>
>>46095988
>DD is an action rpg with Cuhrazee combat, monster climbing, and waifu construction.
the only thing you name and DS doesn't have is the monster climbing
>>
File: JUST.jpg (14 KB, 538x271) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
14 KB, 538x271
>>46096052
>don't apply any patches
Madman
>>
80s and 90s CRPGS, you fucks.

Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, all the Gold Box games.
>>
File: toee.png (168 KB, 256x358) Image search: [Google]
toee.png
168 KB, 256x358
>>46086525
Picture related.
>>
>>46096717
I came here to post this. Though I was going to suggest the older Wizardry games for their soul crushing difficulty.
>>
>>46094956
There's a MMO and a mobile strategy game, both Japanese only. You could use proxies for the MMO, but some patch made that impossible at least on PS4.
The game had a nice tabletop feeling to, just party up and grind through some dungeons and kill monsters. The setting was also quite interesting.

>Then again, we're talking about the Japanese, and so called Japanese 'Role-Playing' games have tended to derive solely from the combat and number crunching aspects of their tabletop counterparts
They're actually closer to Visual Novels, since the Japanese writing system allowed to inlude way more story than Western games with the same amount of text.

But from what little I knw about Japanese creators, there are some that are heavily influenced by traditionalo games and related literature.
>>
>>46091119
Kek.

I felt NWN 1 but much better. The shitty DM authenticity was higher, the multiplayer was more excessable so you could get the full experience with that guy's and 13 year old DMs and such.

Aside from that though it has fantasy rpg elements and a few pretty amazing online servers. It's probably the closest thing I've played to the dnd experience, although nothing really comes close.

Older games like boulders gate might be better, but they actually come closer to the traditional primary story main character oriented style, which isn't actually very dnd ish.

The agrivating video game elements in NWN 1, generally to do with skill checka being excessively useless, no variety in ending, and lots of out of place set in stone story elements (can't save the fallen paladin, no stopping that damn Lynch mob, etc).

I felt like NWN 2 was pretty much the same thing, but with even more bugs, less useful multiplayer, more plot railroading, etc.

Hmm thinking on it more, maybe 2 did deliver a better shitty DM experience.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.