[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alt magic systems, alt the time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: LifeCycleOfaWizard.png (613 KB, 702x914) Image search: [Google]
LifeCycleOfaWizard.png
613 KB, 702x914
Can we please have a thread about magic systems that aren't vancian DND bullshit? I love me some prepared spells every now and then, but there has to be something more interesting out there. I don't care if it's homebrew or not, just make sure it's not boring.
>>
>>46086140
I like spell points. You get 2 per level as a magic user, and it costs the spells level to cast it. For example, if you are level 5 you have 10 SP, so you could cast 5 level 2 spells, 10 level 1s, or any mix that adds to 10. Level 0 spells cost nothing.
Alterations, like maximizing/minimizing magic power or range or speed ect. would cost more or less points.
You get your points refreshed at the start of each scene.
>>
I'm never gonna get around to putting this in a system, so I'll just leave this here.
>Witchcraft (also known as spontaneous creation) only requires a set time of meditation, ranging from half an hour to eight hours. Any weapon, tool, or projectile is generated at its lowest level, and can be strengthened by the positive energies generated from destroyed dark forces, and from the gratitude/love of the people you save.
>Sorcery, magic generated from within, uses spell points based on the spell's effects and magnitude of each effect. Because this magic is controlled by the user, they can control how much power is used, so they don't have to cast a 20ft wide fireball if a friendly is in the zone.
>Wizardry, which taps into an enchanted weapon's magic, only requires the charge of the weapon in use, but is limited to the spell(s) "programmed" into it. Weapons generated by Witchcraft already have special effects based on the person who generated it, so such weapons aren't able to be enchanted for Wizardry.
>Faith draws upon a being's belief, whether in a god, a pantheon, one's guild, or simply an abundance of love for the people. It is strong and costs nothing, but loses strength as the user's life fades. Times of doubt are also crippling to a Faith user.
>Then there's Alchemy. It is similar to Vancian magic, but is closer to actual chemistry. The user is only limited by their in-character knowledge of effects, and by how many vials they can carry. Some reagents can react instantly, and may even be harvested during battle. Others require prior preparation. Usually the higher power reactions require more prep time.
>>
>>46086140
I made a spell system where a wizard had certain amounts of various 'flavors' of mana in their palette, and spend up this mana through certain spells. So while one wizard might be able to move objects, if he only has the 'Hemarosl-aspect' mana to do it with, then he might accidentally set the objects on fire. Because of this, a wizard needs to decide carefully which aspect he wants to keep. You want to save the 'restorative' typed mana for healing spells, but if you *really* need to, you can throw that mana into a firebolt.

Then they recharge their mana either through time and meditation, or they can find a node to recharge instantly- except each node only has one type of mana.

Then there are certain rare types of mana that have special effects. Those can't be found from nodes or 'focused' through meditation. You have to ritually sacrifice a dragon heart or whatever in order to gain it.
>>
>>46086140
Play Ars Magica already.
>>
>>46086643
Not OP, but this seems like a nice system. What games use this?
>>
>>46086140
Plato Wizardry

The catalyst you use represents a particular ideal, ie. a torch is a representation of some "perfect" torch. How "close" the torch is to the ideal that you imagine is how potent the object is as a catalyst.

A spell is cast by consuming the catalyst to bring some part of that ideal into reality, ie. a fireball. Because you always consume the ENTIRE catalyst, there are often issues with casting too big a spell to solve a problem.

While there's technically nothing stopping you from carrying around extremely small and lightweight catalysts for a variety of spells, you are similarly limited by the size and general impact of your spells, as the ideals represented are much smaller.
>>
>>46089908

You can use it in 5th edition D&D
>>
>>46086140
Greg Stolze manages to make magic unique in damn near every book he writes. The Unknown Armies way of spellcasting is one of the most unique ones out there because your basically have to act like a crazy person for your spells to get power, or if you're a machinist you have to pay for your spells by destroying your own memories.
>>
>>46086140
well, first there's 4 by 5...
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Four_By_Five_Magic

every spell is a variant on a 2 word verb-noun combo.

the 4 verbs are
Communicate with
Diminish
Enhance
Control

and the nouns are
Body
Energy
Matter
Mind
Spirit

so to cast a fireball you'd cast "control energy". to stop a fireball you might use a "Diminish energy". to buff your friends fireball you'd "enhance energy"
you start with a couple of nouns and a couple of verbs
for the sake of fairness I'd be inclined to require the expenditure of EXP to learn more than a few energy types...or specialties so that a mage isn't suddenly a VASTLY OVERPOWERED INDIVIDUAL
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.