[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you guys think about a tabletop system that used Fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Growth Rates.png (414 KB, 771x1592) Image search: [Google]
Growth Rates.png
414 KB, 771x1592
What would you guys think about a tabletop system that used Fire Emblem's growth rates? The gist is every time you level, you roll percentile dice for each stat and if you get at or under your point in that stat increases by a set amount
>>
>>46085427
I've been thinking about something like this. The basic problem is that it means that these stats have to be very significant compared to the rest of each character's abilities, which is generally how characters shine and stand out rather than run around as bipedal stat blocks. Works pretty well for a video game, not so much when you're trying to keep multiple people interested.

If you figure out how to balance that, however, I'd suggest running growth rates as adjustable so that if players get bad growth rolls or surge too far forward, their rates adjust so that no one ever gets too far ahead or behind. Personally I'd have max level stats set beforehand and adjust rates based on that, but that's probably not what you're looking for.
>>
>>46086345
Maybe give bonuses for each level a stat doesn't go up (except for 0 stats)? And definitely have caps on stats. The gm would probably have to roll it himself to prevent shenanigans.
>>
>>46086400
Something like that, depends on how wild you want it to be.
Seriously though, I've tried making a system like this before and it was insurmountable to try to balance everything. I'm sure it's possible, but don't get too invested, you might come up empty-handed.
>>
I would echo nearly all the warnings in this thread this far.

Being said, I'ved used your same idea to great effect for handling combat experience related attribute level ups in my homebrew system. It works especially well for tracking NPC squad skills and competencies.
>>
>>46085427
My Persona system already uses something like that. It's annoying as fuck if you want to gen a character on a specific level. I might think of reworking it.
>>
>>46085427
>Character growth being totally random
No thanks. It works okay in a video game where you're controlling several characters and can drop one if they get RNG screwed, but for a tabletop where you've only got one character and will constantly be comparing them to everybody else's, balance is going to be an absolute mess.
>>
File: STR 8.png (532 KB, 970x558) Image search: [Google]
STR 8.png
532 KB, 970x558
>>46085427
>>
>>46085427
I think there's a better way to use growth rates than rolling once at level up against the percentage. Make it an actual growth rate where all stats increase at that rate per level or encounter. Say your character has a 45% STR growth rate. Rather than praying to RNGesus at level up just add the growth rate to the current stat as a decimal value. So 45% means +0.45, which means a character with 6 strength at level 1 will have 6.45 strength at level 2, 6.90 strength at level 3, and 7.35 at level 4. So effectively they would increase strength from 6 to 7 at level 4.
>>
>>46085427
I played a Fire Emblem tabletop game once. Rolling for stats was incredibly unfun and completely fucked over at least one character.

There's a reason no one does rolling for stats in things like D&D any more.
>>
File: anger_powered_jetpacks.png (300 KB, 900x846) Image search: [Google]
anger_powered_jetpacks.png
300 KB, 900x846
>>46085427
>Random stat growth

HOW ABOUT YOU GO AND SHOVE A CACTUS IN YOUR ASS, YOU TRIPLE FUCKING HITLER. THIS IDEA IS SO WRONG ON EVERY GODDAMN LEVEL IT"S NOT EVEN ENTERTAINING. EVEN IN GAMES THEMSELVES IT'S JUST A SYSTEM TO MAKE YOU RELOAD EVEN FUCKING MORE. AND IF YOU DO AUTOBALANCING LIKE THIS FAG SAYS >>46086345 THERE'S NO REASON TO HAVE THIS SHIT IN FIRST PLACE.

THIS FUCKING IDEA IS EVEN WORSE COUSIN OF D&D'S "ROLL FOR HP" SHIT, AND THERE'S A LOT OF INBREEDING GOING THERE. THIS FUCKING IDEA IS USELESS, AIMLESS, SERVES ONLY TO FURTHER FRUSTRATE BOTH PLAYERS AND GM AND BASICALLY YOU'RE A TWAT.

GO FUCK YOURSELF.

GOOD NIGHT.

FAGLORD.
>>
>>46087494
t. benched party member with sub 10 stats at level 20
>>
>>46087690
EX
FUCKING
ACTLY
>>
>>46086857
So if players had multiple characters. Would it be better?
>>
>>46087690
How dense do you have to be to post what you posted and not see the problem? Not even that guy, just, shit, you're depressing me, I'm just over here hoping you have someone from the state to take care of you, so you don't inconvenience your elderly parents until you finally die of age at 32.
>>
Why would you want to adapt the most hated mechanic in the series?
>>
Videogames and tabletop games should never share mechanics.
>>
>>46091162
I like it
>>
>>46090454
In theory yes, as it evens out the distribution of high and low stats.

But more characters also mean more rolls, ans you need to take care that the system doesn't become a slow mess where you spend 80% of the time managing abstract values. Not everyone likes talking about numbers for hours.
>>
>>46091162
...Generation 2 characters that don't serve a purpose to the plot?
>>
>>46085427
BRP/Runequest follow this idea.
>>
>>46091274
>Baldur's Gate
>Baldur's Gate 2
>>
>>46087143
Oh man, how the fuck can Ike get strength fucked that hard? Doesn't he have like 7 base?
>>
>>46093395
RNGoddess can be wrathful and cruel.
>>
>>46093498
That's why she's purest love.
>>
>>46085427
I was actually setting up a FE RPG, and all the ones I've seen sucked ass for a great many reasons..
It wasn't until I was halfway through thinking that I thought to myself, "RNGesus hates everyone" and I decided to just give the players 3+1d4 stat points to assign on level up.
>>
It'd be fine on its own, but I'd allow players to opt for non-random level-ups: Copy their array of growth rates, and every time they level up, add their growth rates again. Any time a stat's growth rates go over 100, they receive a bonus in that stat, and the remainder carries over.

For a character with luck growth 40, this is what it would look like.
40 at level 1 > 80 at level 2 > 100+20 at level 3, luck increases by 1.

Unless you had growths that were particularly high, you could get a lot of empty level-ups, anyway.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.