[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40,000 Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Guard.jpg (10 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
Guard.jpg
10 KB, 225x224
I've been wanting to get into warhammer 40,000, but I've never played before. The Imperial Guard Interest me the most but I don't know much of the lore and know nothing of how to play so I could use all forms of help.
>>
>>46083611
Go to your FLGS and ask for a demo game. Find lore on Lexicanum.
>>
File: 1457028814815.jpg (155 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1457028814815.jpg
155 KB, 1440x810
>>46083611
Don't buy more models until you're done painting everything you already have.
>>
File: 1453643672503.jpg (21 KB, 184x208) Image search: [Google]
1453643672503.jpg
21 KB, 184x208
>>46083611
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLdATQ41lQ
There are alot of videos and books on the Guard
they were my first and only 40k facion and thus my favotite personally
so I am a bit biased
>>
>>46083611
> Imperial Guard
I'm not familiar with that faction. That's a nice picture of an Astra Militarum soldier though.

Seriously though, buy small amounts incrementally. It's easy to get suckered into grabbing dozens or hundreds of dudesmen, then getting overwhelmed by your project. For every 2-3 boxes you get, get a piece of scenery/terrain. You'll thank me when your board isn't covered in toilet paper roll "silos" and cardboard box "bunkers".

You don't have to buy just GW unless you're going to play in a GW store.
>>
File: a762d05d8BIvl.jpg (489 KB, 1100x825) Image search: [Google]
a762d05d8BIvl.jpg
489 KB, 1100x825
>>46084575
>I'm not familiar with that faction. That's a nice picture of an Astra Militarum soldier though.

Now, I know you be trolling, but damn if that didn't make an old grognard rage.
>>
>>46083611
Download a codex and read their fluff if you want the lore. IMO there are so many factions within the guard alone that you could create several guard armies and they'd all look and play entirely different.

If you want to learn to model and play, hit up your FLGS and ask for some help. Most players are super chill for newbies and will have no problem showing you the ropes. Both my local shops have commission painters on staff who love to help new people out. One even has painting booths with lights and marble palettes. Some shops also have things like dollar model bins. One nearby has basically 3 rubbermaids full of $1, $2, and $3 models. If yours has something like that you can find some cheap guard stuff and practice painting on them before going all out on your main forces. Plus you might find a bargain.

Also if you're serious about taking the plunge, get one of those Start Collecting boxes. They come with rules for their own formation in the box so you can get started for under $100.
>>
>>46085214
Sorry, I actually get pretty butthurt about stuff like "astra militarum" and "militarum tempestus" myself, but I couldn't resist.
>>
>>46083611
One thing you'll have to learn about playing IG (and the sooner you learn it, the better), is that your dudes suck. One squad of Guardsmen will reliably die, and little else. Your battle tank will miss its shot, or fail to wound, and at first it'll suck. Here's the secret, though - IG get to have enough dudes that it doesn't matter. Take advantage of that. It doesn't matter if two squads died and one got mauled if the remnants still hold that crucial objective at the end of turn 6. Think in terms of your army, not your individual units.
>>
>>46083611

Also, look through this

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Imperial_Guard(7E)#Tactics_2

1d4chan won't win you any tournaments, but its a great start point and resource if you find yourself getting stuck with army composition and tactics.
>>
>>46087848
If you want to win with Imperial Guard then you scrap the Imperial part and play Traitor Guard lists. Unending Host in particular. Bring a Baneblade that confers Zealot in a 12" bubble, use the dudes as a 3+ cover save, get them killed, then outflank with them on a 2+. An 1850 list can easily house 180-200 dudes plus the Superheavy and some artillery or Chaos Spawn allies to boot.
>>
I'm just getting into the Imperial Guard as well. You've chosen a very difficult faction to start with, but DON'T let that throw you off. Being an Astra Millitarum player gives you lots of freedom in the feel and look of your army.

The difficulty is size. I myself am only building a simple 500 point army. In it? 30 freaking guardsmen and two vehicles. Needless to say they take a while to do well for a first time painter. My suggestions:

1) Look at the most recent army tactica, pirated here: http://wh40klib.ru/codex/actually_codex_and_rule/Astra_Millitarium_6-th_ed_Eng.pdf
2) Pick a point limit for your army. I recommend 200 or 500 so you dont overwhelm yourself. Then fill out the list with units.
3) If you can't decide quite what you want yet, buy the "Start Collecting: Astra Millitarum" Set from games workshop, as it gives you a little bit of everything for a discount.
3) BUY GOOD BRUSHES! A good brush will save you lots of pain as you need to paint quickly and accuratly. Also, take very good care of those brushes. Wash out the paint every couple minutes so paint doesnt dry on the brush and ruin it.
4) Get a hobby Microscope with a light on it. Good lighting and a magnified view make working on figures super easy.
>>
>>46088889
*Hobby Magnifying glass. I'm an idiot.
>>
A different but related Noob Question:

Im building a new Russ and thinking of making the Sponsons removable, but also the sponson guns swappable, all through magnets. But I'm worried having that many magnets in close proximity in the sponson will ruin the magnetic force with time.

Anyone got prior experience with close-together magnets like this?
>>
Bring bodybags.
>>
>>46084575
Copya Miliritus

Tradarum Markestus
>>
>>46088889
If yu though playing AStra militarum was difficult with size then you should take a look at Renegades and Heretics.

My 500p list consists of a total of 49 dudes and one tank
>>
As a Guard player, I want to offer a counterpoint to all the naysayers who say building a guard army is hard.

It IS if you use lots of infantry. But there's another way: Mechanized warfare!

Pic related, the humble chimera. This is your secret weapon. Use this model correctly and you will be able to stretch a few infantry models VERY far, creating a fast, mobile force that can do a suprising amount of damage with impressive speed.

As an example: take a look at this army. I just threw it together, so it might not be very good, but it's easy to tweak:

1xHQ: Tank Commander
>Command Battle Tank w/ hunter killer missile
>Battle Tank
>Battle Tank

3xTROOPS: Veterans
>chimera
>heavy flamer
>meltagun
>meltagun

This comes out at exactly 1000 points, and starts with only 6 models on the table, and an overall model count 42 (30 infantry and 6 vehicles). In terms of value, you can probably get it for ~$150, if you're thrifty.
>>
>>46088889
Only 30? I guess thats if you want to play a balanced army but I know you can definitely fit in much more than 30 individual models.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.