[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What class do you think a King, Queen, Prince, Princess, etc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1458067517956.png (1 MB, 1400x738) Image search: [Google]
1458067517956.png
1 MB, 1400x738
What class do you think a King, Queen, Prince, Princess, etc would be? Note: I want my royalty to be trained in some sort of combat.
>>
>>46080678
Wizard makes sense, given high level of education.
Fighter wouldn't be bad. A king ought to know swordplay and warfare.
Bard, maybe, because of the high charisma and support abilities.

Also depends on the society. Is the country religious? Clerics, all of them. Is it an Elven kingdom? Druids.

If you want to do something a little less vanilla, they're all sorcerers, because of their royal bloodline, or they're royalty because of their magical bloodline.
>>
Really depends on what kinda royal family you want.
>>
>>46080678
I usually don't give royalties combat training, at least not the one that are supposed to succeed to the throne. That said I think that most of them would probably be non-martial classes since, given the high wealth, they can probably afford high quality magic instructors and books.
>>
File: Hobbes-Leviathan.jpg (1 MB, 1549x1181) Image search: [Google]
Hobbes-Leviathan.jpg
1 MB, 1549x1181
>>46080678
Warlocks, but their patron is the people they rule.
>>
>>46080678
If it's generic Europe, definitely have your male royals be warriors and diplomats. The females can be clerical as well as diplomatic. Just go with what makes sense in a medieval/fantasy world.
>>
Note: Gods are dead in my world. Should have stated that. So clerics/paladin's/druids are a no go. I'm just throwing ideas around, building the royalty as I go.
>>
>>46080940
If you're doing D&D, there is literally no reason for you not to have Druids/Paladins/Clerics, etc.

It's stated that Druids get their power from Nature itself, Clerics can get power from Ideals instead of Deities, and Paladins have never needed a god for their power.
>>
>>46080678
Fighter, Bard, Fighter, Bard.
>>
>>46080972
Well my players have done fine without them. I know they don't need Gods. But the people in my world and the player think religion and religious views are taboo.
>>
>>46080972
So the whole idea of Clerics/Paladin's has died out.
>>
>>46080940
With those restrictions, each should have at least one level in Fighter, Wizard, and an appropriate NPC class.
>>
>>46080678
Fighter king
Rogue queen
Fighter prince
Rogue princess
>>
File: Luca-Blight.png (239 KB, 284x500) Image search: [Google]
Luca-Blight.png
239 KB, 284x500
>>46080678
>What class do you think a King, Queen, Prince, Princess, etc would be?
That depends on what King, Queen, etc. we're talking about.

Typically when I run into kings and princes they tend to be some variation of fighter. Queens are usually non-combatants, but often have at least a bit of support or healing up their poofy sleeve.

Princesses are wild cards. They're all over the damn place. I've encountered pegasus riding spearwomen, sorceresses, duelists, straight up magical girls. You never know if they're going to wreck shit or shriek helplessly while you get mauled by a ROUS.
>>
>>46080678
Historically, kings would be of a martial archetype, with advisors of a magical archetype (either arcane or divine) serving under them but with a large amount of autonomy, like a sub-ruler. Examples that come to mind are the Indian caste system, where Kshatriyas (warrior/ruler caste) are nominally in charge but the Brahmin (priest/scholar caste) have always wielded enough power to be considered the true rulers. You have a similar situation in medieval Europe with kings often being conquering warriors (or styling themselves as such), while the Catholic Church was the true power for hundreds of years. Likewise many tribal cultures have some sort of headman chosen from among the warriors and a shaman chosen and trained for the job at a much younger age.
>>
>>46081674
>(either arcane or divine
Or one of both.
>>
>>46080794
Just fuck shit my up.
>>
>>46080678
Spellswords of some sort. But combat experience is very low, they're more expected to use some fancy spellfolded steel foils and mage armor for a really weird kind of fencing along with the rest of the nobility. In theory the sport lends itself well to combat practice but nobody really believes it.

Alternatively, Clerics of an ancient dead god, who's corpse resides under the city, which the royal family has the secret unending duty to keep it dead.
>>
>>46081981
That clerics of a dead god idea is brilliant.
>>
File: 1452703857563.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1452703857563.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>>46080819
Actually pretty smart idea.
>>
If the game is 5e, my go to is going to be Paladin, Ranger or Bard, with a smattering of other classes (esp. Banneret Fighters and that Courtier Rogue type whose name I forget)
>>
File: 2-mule-foundation.jpg (130 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
2-mule-foundation.jpg
130 KB, 500x378
>>46082066
>>46081981
New poster here. I like the idea too. At the very least, tie the family power in with something specific, like a great, great grandmother has a castle on the Astral Plane that is a reflection of all the sins the family has committed down through the centuries and houses the undying soul of some wizard they had to cross in centuries past and the castle is his prison. In the meantime, those on the mortal plane have inherited power stemming from this astral location, and all their dreams are haunted when they come of age, and they must learn to master their sleeplessness and be good rulers despite encroaching madness. Etc. etc.
>>
>>46081674
the catholic church was less powerful during the medieval era than people generally imagine.
>>
>>46083797
Yeah, the way church-approved history tells thing you'd think shit like the schism, Avignon and the whole Canossa mess somehow never happened.

The truth is the crusades is about the first time ever the pope's power over the church was so centralized that he could control the bishops. And the excessive exercize of that power led to the french concordates, the reformation in germanic Europe, and the Habsburgs making sure the pope understood who was wearing the pants in the relationship.
>>
>>46080678
In Traveller you actually have noble "classes" (careers that you take during character generation)

so you could be a noble class
>>
DSP's Warlord (Pathfinder). Good at combat and leadership, with Charisma as one of your main stats and all of the social skills as class skills.
>>
>>46083797
Literacy was uncommon even among the nobility until the 1500s or so, no?
>>
>>46086373
>>46086373
It was fairly uncommon (there were in fact still a few illiterate lords in the 18th century), but being able to read and write in vernacular was slightly more common than what was considered true literacy (i.e. knowing how to write latin).

This still didn't make the church that much more powerful, as it tended to hoard its precious libraries and not do a damn thing with them. The renaissance in Italy was largely people rejecting that nonsense.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.