[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /tg/ i made some OC for 5e dnd. Its a race that replaces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 28
File: p1v3.jpg (201 KB, 778x1009) Image search: [Google]
p1v3.jpg
201 KB, 778x1009
sup /tg/ i made some OC for 5e dnd. Its a race that replaces the halfelfs as the metropolitan/diplomacy/skillmonkey race. they are aquatic humanoids that live in water and along the coast. their culture is heavily involved in commerce and merchant shipping. they live in shallow seas and lakes in verticles cities that tower from the bottom all the way to above the surface.

here are their racial stats, they are similar to the half elf:
+2cha, +1 to two other stats
30 feet speed
darkvision
breathe water and air
double proficiency to athletics for swimming checks
proficient in persuasion
flex skill
bonus language
[possibly some kind of weak magical misc bonus that i havent decided on]

>OMFG this is OP AS FUCK
no its not it is closely modelled on the half elf. water breathing and swimming are weaker than charm advantage and sleep immunity. persuasion is weaker than a 2nd flex skill. it has identical stats as the half elf.
>water breathing is OP AS FUCK THO. water race running around being op everytime their is water.
no its not, its a situational defense, just like the situational defenses of other races. if there was a campaign filled with charmers and sleepers, elfs would be op. if their was a campaign filled with poison, dwarfs would be OP. if there was a campaign filled with fire, teiflings would be OP. None of those races are OP tho because the DM is expected to have a variety of monsters and environments that do not favor one race.

is the fluff good? how can it be made better?
are the pictures good? do you have any better ones?
is the race balanced good? im considering adding a small bonus.
im looking for help from a writefag to make an introductory quote like the PHB races have. any advice?

what do you think /tg/?
>>
File: p2v3.jpg (211 KB, 782x1012) Image search: [Google]
p2v3.jpg
211 KB, 782x1012
>>46067583
>>
File: p3v3.jpg (204 KB, 782x1010) Image search: [Google]
p3v3.jpg
204 KB, 782x1010
>>46067590
>>
File: p4v3.jpg (190 KB, 784x1016) Image search: [Google]
p4v3.jpg
190 KB, 784x1016
>>46067607
>>
File: p5v3.jpg (168 KB, 781x1012) Image search: [Google]
p5v3.jpg
168 KB, 781x1012
>>46067625
>>
File: swamp_by_blinck-d2xmqep.jpg (165 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
swamp_by_blinck-d2xmqep.jpg
165 KB, 1131x707
bump
>>
>literally just blue humans
go home sea monkey
>>
File: 1455146406592.png (648 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1455146406592.png
648 KB, 700x700
>>46067841
>literally just blue
didnt even read the physical description i see
>>
>>46067854
>literally just colored humans
go home sea monkey
>>
>>46067607

Something I was kind of looking forward to but didn't seem to get touched on much was how the different depths or ocean types are viewed by the sea-folk. presumably we're not dealing with Challenger Deep levels here but I think it'd be interesting if they had some awareness of the Deep Freaky Shit that the ocean contains. Maybe a religious or spiritual belief concerning The True Deep?

I don't know, it just all felt a little too golly gee willikers happy sea friends when, like, the sea is fully of some pretty messed up stuff.
>>
File: 1397545043831.jpg (369 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1397545043831.jpg
369 KB, 1680x1050
>>46068003
thats a good idea anon, maybe i could wrap that into par tof the reason why they are secretive about their lives underwater. any suggestions?

my vision fo rthem tho is that they dont live much deeper than 200m becasue of the pressure issues. at that depth the light still gets through.
>>
>>46068071

I think play up the mystery of the deep; being submerged causes your senses to function differently because light and sound travel differently in water than they do in air. So there's going to be a lot about being in water and air that a Thallasan is just going be like "you don't get it and you CAN'T get it" if asked by another species. Think about whalesong and how that shit travels forever - and differently at certain depths. Thallasans might not at first understand that if they SHOUT OUT LOUD that that's not socially acceptable, or that someone the next town over can't hear them.

But then there's the even scarier stuff of, well, the sea is a place where something is going to be trying to kill you from all angles and might zoom out of nowhere like a shark. Camoflague is kind of your only defense out there, that or being a badass. Heading into the deep dark is kind of a surrender to that, perhaps, an acceptance of the darkness and the void.

I just have this image of a Thalassan city on one of those oceanic ridges, just a straight drop into blackness. Like, in that environment adventure actually makes total sense, because The Unknown is LITERALLY RIGHT THERE. Go, swim down and see what you find. (Spoilers, it's nightmares.) They don't necessarily need to go up on land to find New and Exciting things because the sea is so much bigger than the land.
>>
>>46068071
A Thalassian GOO Warlock would be pretty neat, could rp them as part of some apocalypse cult or something, that or make them BBEG but whatever.
>>
File: seamonster_blue.jpg (49 KB, 458x459) Image search: [Google]
seamonster_blue.jpg
49 KB, 458x459
>>46068146
maybe something about how deep evil sounds from the unknowable abyss occasionally reverberate throughout the oceans and scare the fuck out of everyone. thalassians are the bulwark against the evils of the ocean, just like dwarfs are the bulwark against the underdark
>>
>>46068174
whats a GOO warlock?
>>
>>46068202

Sure, but I'm definitely concerned that this race comes across as TOO good, like there hasn't been enough space for them to be plausible villains. Like, as written half-elf villains make sense because they're kind of pariahs and have to learn to manipulate people. Or human villains make sense because they're ambitious. Or elven villains make sense because they're aloof and callous. I don't yet see how a good Thallasan villain would work.
>>
>>46068224
Great Old One
>>
>>46068224

Great Old One; the variant for warlocks that have their powers coming from a Lovecraftian thing of unknowable age and cosmic indifference.
>>
>>46068238
Well, rather than making them wandering merchants, perhaps you could add some more similarities to monks and philosophers.

Those who ponder the mysteries of the depths, sometimes driven mad by the secrets they find.
>>
>>46068238
>but I'm definitely concerned that this race comes across as TOO good, like there hasn't been enough space for them to be plausible villains
good point. maybe i could write in a bit about how some of them get seduced by the powers of the abyss and become power mad evil.
>Well, rather than making them wandering merchants, perhaps you could add some more similarities to monks and philosophers.
thats a cool idea, but the merchant shipping thing is probably the most important part of their culture. it justifies almost everything about them. i cant get rid of it. maybe i can tie it in with their enterprising nature. some are driven to take shortcuts to power and are lured to the abyss to get it... but they always pay a terrible price
>>
>>46068335

>how some of them get seduced by the powers

You don't need to go that far, just make their culture a little less "chummy". The part of me that really makes me think this is the part about how rivalries are quite friendly and rarely blossom into full-blown hatred. Maybe play up that their merchants are, say, raised in a very different value system compared to surface dwellers and are far more willing to engage in deceptive and even illegal practices because "laws of the sea" are different in that area, say. That way it can be read as neutral; maybe not all of them are intentionally stiffing the mouth-breathers but there's definitely space for some shady squid-merchants running illegal tuna trafficking rings and engaging in espionage, assassination..

Actually, that's a point, "travelling merchant" is up there with "wandering minstrel" as one of hte top covers for SPIES in a medieval context. If Thalassans have a lot of travelling merchants, that's a whole mess of spies.
>>
>>46068335
This >>46068419

Something to consider is that despite having a mercantile society, not all Thassians will be merchants. Just as how Elves have both Mages and Archers, and Dwarves have Fighters and Blacksmiths, they should be known for something else.

They don't all need to be optimistic and open, but they also don't all need to be mysterious and secretive. Consider that those aspects will mix together and vary from group to group or individual to individual.
>>
>>46068419
>>46068419
great ideas anon. i can probably write some things on the end of the society section talking about how their competativeness and rivalries can escalate into ruthlessness. just like how the carthaginians were ruthless in protecting and expanding their trade routes and monopolies (this race is heavily inspired by maritime civs like carthage, athens, england)

>>46068449
>>46068449
does the writing come off as if they are all merchants? i thought i had several lines about how some were farmers and professionals and such. they are a versatile race, just like the half evles they replace, so i put in some parts about how they take up all kinds of trades.
>>
>>46068516
Not all, though the word choice does leave the impression that when they're all very shrewd in the ways of business, and that translates over to the impression that even their more simple tradesmen would be skilled hagglers.

Some detail on their ways of war might not go amiss, or at least preferred martial styles.

I think it may just be though that they may just have no real identity outside of being merchants. By having them replace Half-Elves, you've left them with no real culture of their own, as Half-Elves rarely have their own societies.

If you want them to be a more nomadic race of wanderers, that's fine too, but I think that would make them less uniform as well.
>>
>>46068566

Here's a thought: what if they sell back stuff lost in sea wrecks?
>>
>>46068587
Good. That works, but it still ties into them just owning a business involving selling stuff.

What do they do outside of selling stuff?
>>
>>46068566
>that translates over to the impression that even their more simple tradesmen would be skilled hagglers.
yah thats intentional, thats how they all have persuasion proficiency. similarly, the dwarfs are all industrious, and thus have tool proficiency. the high elfs are magical, and thus all have a cantrip.
>no identity outside of merchants.
i thought that ocean cosmopolitan diplomat merchants was enough. should i have more? dwarfs and elfs can be summarized similarly
>>46068587
>what if they sell back stuff lost in sea wrecks?
they definately do that.
>>46068622
>What do they do outside of selling stuff?
from the PDF: The natural bounty of the sea allows Thalassians to lead relatively labor free lives with plenty of free time for arts, athletics, magic, business, and leisure. Many devote their extra hours to all manner of professions to distinguish themselves in the eyes of others, to complete for prestige, or simply for the enjoyment of them.

is that too vague? they basically do all kinds of things. the dwarfs do mining and smithing. elfs do magic and art.
>>
>>46068335
This shit, right there op, getting consumed/twisted by the depths, get some racial enemies like a crustacean race or something like that to oppose them. Most races need some form of ability to be evil, for them to come off as more than just a cardboard choice. I like your fish people though, its more well thought out than most shitty homebrews that come across my desk.
>>
File: 3426461-black+manta[1].jpg (959 KB, 1366x1182) Image search: [Google]
3426461-black+manta[1].jpg
959 KB, 1366x1182
Do all Thalassians live an amphibious life? Maybe some live purely underwater, and either can't or won't go onto land.

There's a pretty big difference between salt and freshwater ecosystems, too. It sounds like most Thalassians live in the oceans, but it does say some in lakes. I'd expect the freshwater Thalassians to be fairly different in culture, if not physiology.

Lake Thalassians, are probably going to need to get more of their food from dry land, for instance. Maybe that means they've integrated more with land-dweller cultures. Or maybe they're more isolationist and violent.
>>
>>46068687
But High Elves also have martial traditions, which is why they have weapon proficiencies. And are also skilled hunters, as shown by their High Dex and Perception proficiency.

Having only a handful of things for a Race is fine, but so far for Thalassians they seem to just have 'merchants, diplomats, and whatever they want'

Merchants and Diplomats aren't very distinct roles, as both are represented by the same thing, bonus to charisma and persuasion proficiency.

Granted, Elves and Dwarves have years if not centuries of mythological and culturual baggage to give them that sort of inherent variety, but I think that just means you need to condense the info to give more concrete examples of their variety and depth.
>>
>>46068753
Agreed. Perhaps that could be represented by giving them a subrace or two? There's a lot of variety to be found in aquatic environments. Even a lake and a river are going to encourage different types of cultures.
>>
>>46068687
>is that too vague?

Somewhat. It's a single sentance that basically says 'they have hobbies because they have so much time from their successful businesses'
>>
>>46068743
>This shit, right there op, getting consumed/twisted by the depths, get some racial enemies like a crustacean race or something like that to oppose them. Most races need some form of ability to be evil, for them to come off as more than just a cardboard choice
ill definately add something like this to the alignment section, or should it go in the main body of the personality section?
>I like your fish people though, its more well thought out than most shitty homebrews that come across my desk.
tyvm anon, i put alot of effort and thought into it.
>his shit, right there op, getting consumed/twisted by the depths
yah ill add that, tho desu none of the other racial descriptions seem to go this deep into their motivations and such. tho i guess there is no harm in outshining the PHB.
>Do all Thalassians live an amphibious life? Maybe some live purely underwater, and either can't or won't go onto land.
they all have the ability to go on land, and usually do gather materials and do work that cant be done/found in water such as smithing, or making bricks/concrete
>There's a pretty big difference between salt and freshwater ecosystems, too. It sounds like most Thalassians live in the oceans, but it does say some in lakes. I'd expect the freshwater Thalassians to be fairly different in culture, if not physiology.
some people have suggested that i make subraces for salt and fresh water types, but... meh, for now im content to say they can live just fine in both. maybe int he future...
>But High Elves also have martial traditions, which is why they have weapon proficiencies. And are also skilled hunters, as shown by their High Dex and Perception proficiency.
true... hmmm, thalassians are not a martial race so i wouldnt want them to have a weapon proficiency. the flexibility of the half elf seems to be the source of this issue. the "whatever they want" is the flex skill, and their flex abilities are kinda the same deal. any suggestions?
>>
File: 1367612002982.jpg (150 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1367612002982.jpg
150 KB, 900x900
>>46068903
>>46068774
regarding the subraces that people have suggested, i think for now ill let them be one race because they do not live isolated from each other like the elfs and dwarfs do. thalassians are constantly mixing with each other as they travel and trade. it doesnt leave much room for sub races to diverge. at least that will be my excuse to not work to change it, rofl.
>>46068763
>but I think that just means you need to condense the info to give more concrete examples of their variety and depth.
hmmmm. trying to think about what i could add to them.
>>
File: 1367565094287.jpg (198 KB, 1200x776) Image search: [Google]
1367565094287.jpg
198 KB, 1200x776
>>46068763
but I think that just means you need to condense the info to give more concrete examples of their variety and depth.
>>46068793
>Somewhat. It's a single sentance that basically says 'they have hobbies because they have so much time from their successful businesses'
what if i talked about their super dense underwater tower cities and how that motivates them to do.... something.
>>
>>46068903
>>46068967
>>46068984
In terms of adding stuff, you don't really need to alter the stat-block, more just give more detailed examples of some of those other careers they might take.

For example, how common are they as Mercenaries? What sort of weapons and tactics do they prefer?

Do they ever organize into larger groups? What happens when a merchant prince consolidates enough funds to make his own kingdom? Do others of his race live even bother to live under his rule, or do they move?

It's not like you'll have to answer every single potential question about the race. The first one, for example, could be good to include, but the second is just something to think about. How a merchant races practices government might give you some understanding about how they live as a whole.
>>
File: 1365513074567.jpg (62 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1365513074567.jpg
62 KB, 600x600
>>46068763
> I think that just means you need to condense the info to give more concrete examples of their variety and depth.
what if i added that they primarily organize themselves by their trade guilds? or maybe talk about their city states which are governed by the different economic guild interests
>>
File: titans_grail_by_jameswolf.jpg (102 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
titans_grail_by_jameswolf.jpg
102 KB, 900x675
>>46069051
yah, ive been thinking for a while that they live in ancient greek style city states. one super dense and powerful city controls the area around it and it is ruled by various economic guilds/companies. individuals are usually part of a guild and they are expected to serve it and be protected by it and represented by it.

sort of like... a corporate feudalism i guess (like in deus ex HR)
>>
>>46068238
>Characters are utterly defined by their race and have no chance of being anti-social and cruel

This has been your obligatory "Always Good/Evil Racial Alignments Are Shittier Than Even Normal Alignment Fuckery" post.
>>
>>46068587
What if there's serious suspicion about them being the ones that cause the wrecks to begin with? But no one can really prove it, and because of the friendly face they put on, a lot of people brush it off as racism or something against the poor fish people who dinndu nuffin. I'd imagine a nautical raid by these guys to be some serious shit. Like "oh, I see you are trading in our waters without a permit, time to sink you."

I'd play up the cutthroat and non-human aspects. They aren't people. They don't think the same way. And even if they did, a sunken ship leaves no one to tell what happened, and that's money in the bank at the end of the day.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (63 KB, 785x208) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
63 KB, 785x208
ok so i changed this part a bit to allow them to be evil as well as good. the highlighted part was changed from the OP
>>
File: Capture.jpg (77 KB, 786x277) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
77 KB, 786x277
>>46069451
would help if i could type without sounding like a retard.
>>
File: d2b5db0f7f830ee8b3ac474923180050.jpg (309 KB, 1024x1297) Image search: [Google]
d2b5db0f7f830ee8b3ac474923180050.jpg
309 KB, 1024x1297
neat
>>
>>46069979
ty anon, do you have any tips?
im currently writing about their city-states and guilds. also gonna try to work in how their cities protect them from monsters from the abyss.

was also thinking about how thalassians complete the scary environments:

elfs border the terrors of the forest.
dwarfs border the terrors of the underdark.
thalassians border the terrors of the deep
>>
>>46070001
With as much as you've clearly been thinking about it, I'm sure I don't have anything to add.

I just think aquatic races are cool and don't get enough love.
>>
>>46070018
i love advice anon. i end up using alot of stuff people suggest. except for people that think water races should be tribal primitives.
>>
It's a race. It fits in fairly well. Good enough.

I don't like the name, it's awkward and uncomfortable. Compare to "Elf", "Dwarf", " Gnome", etc to "Thalassian". This is a word that is going to have to be said over and over and, as a result, would get truncated and shortened down to something more manageable. Probably be "Thalls" inside a month.

But the mechanics seem solid and the race overall decent, so, good job.
>>
File: tumblr_mo7ef4zkYF1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg (147 KB, 900x658) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mo7ef4zkYF1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg
147 KB, 900x658
>>46070333
thank you anon.
other people have said a similar thing about the name. they suggested "undines" but i dont like that at all.
do you have a suggestion?
>>
File: sponges.jpg (139 KB, 1416x707) Image search: [Google]
sponges.jpg
139 KB, 1416x707
>>46070333
maybe just thalass?
or thassa?
>>
>>46070362
"Undines" would get truncated down to "undies" in a heartbeat, and jokes about jock straps, panties, etc. would follow.
Also: Undyne is >>46069979 and she has none of the qualities you've posted.
Your name is the only part I think needs work, but at the end of the day, it's your name. You have to be happy with it.
I suggest you look up some appropriately fishy names, find one that fits well and rolls off the tongue easily, that or roll some boggle dice.
>>
File: scubagirl.webm (3 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
scubagirl.webm
3 MB, 640x640
>>46070429
undine is a greek water spirit. supposedely it is pronounced ooondeeenay

but yeah i agree with you, i dont like it either way
>>
File: Capture.jpg (135 KB, 480x740) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
135 KB, 480x740
ok i revised this part to add a little bit about how abyssal monsters occasionally let out haunting calls from the depth that can be heard for hundreds of miles.

the highlighted parts are changed
>>
>>46070452
>a greek water spirit
So are naiads and nereids
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.