[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has this Space Marine a wooden shield?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12
File: Scouring_of_Prospero2.jpg (690 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Scouring_of_Prospero2.jpg
690 KB, 1920x1080
Why has this Space Marine a wooden shield?
>>
>>46063595
The same reason Imperial tanks have steel armor.
>>
>>46063595

Because GW have lost the ability to tell when historical inspiration stops being cool and just becomes retarded.

These are the same people that thought Murderfang and Logan Grimnar's sleigh were good ideas.

Honestly, there was a time when the Space Wolves were cool and Wolfaboos were respectable members of the fanbase, but at this point the Wolves have been so thoroughly derped up that no-one in their right mind could enjoy them unironically.
>>
>>46063595
What do you know, maybe that wooden shield has a forcefield generator installed on it.

After all, since it's the forcefield that does the work, storm shields could be built with literally anything
>>
GW overdosed on the viking Kool-Aid and Space Wolves were never the same anymore.
>>
>>46063595
Why is Russ using Frostmourne?
>>
File: YOU WANT MIRRION DORRAR.jpg (30 KB, 286x400) Image search: [Google]
YOU WANT MIRRION DORRAR.jpg
30 KB, 286x400
>>46063595
grorious fenlisian timber folded over 1000 times

filthy red gaijin go home oh wait you cant

ret me reff even harder
>>
>>46063821
underrated post
>>
>>46063595
It's a power wooden shield.
>>
The AdMech revere every STC, even if some are of questionable utility.
>>
>>46063595
The Pauper Legion are a space marine chapter whose former chapter master jilted an Adeptus Administratum cleric long ago. Now that most of their supply requests 'lost' in the archives of the Administratum, they have to make due with local materials.
>>
>>46063595
No one ever said the Space Wolves were smart.
>>
>>46064075

We just call them storm shields.
>>
>>46064274
>Papier-mâché power armor
>>
>>46064477
Environmental-friendly, native-manufactured artesanal no-fertilizer vegan wooden storm shield
>>
Those "wooden" shields were folded over 9000 times by the great woodsmiths of Fenris. Do not disrespect them.
>>
>>46065878

There are no trees on Fenris.
>>
>>46065891
There are *few* trees on Fenris. This short supply made it necessary for them to fold the wood many many times to achieve perfection. These shields can cut through your steel like butter.
>>
File: w.jpg (42 KB, 326x376) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
42 KB, 326x376
>>46063821
>>
File: Laughing Spess Muhreen.gif (1 MB, 300x165) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Spess Muhreen.gif
1 MB, 300x165
>>46063821
>>
>>46063681
I-I still like them...
>>
>>46063595
>Why has this Space Marine a wooden shield?
It truly is a miracle that a regular Astartes wields such a marvel. The STC for wooden shields was lost ages ago.
>>
>Space Wolves wreck 1KS shit armed with wooden shields and no helmets

Thousand Sons confirmed for biggest bitches
>>
>>46063681
Murderfang was dumb, but I can see where the idea seemed cool. Dreadnought with an axe and a storm shield, or power claws is not a terrible idea in and of itself.

There is nothing good about Santa Grimnar and his magic murder sled. I have never seen someone use him, nor buy his model just to paint. He's not even good wacky, he's just crap.
>>
File: 1453728692704.jpg (365 KB, 1342x1342) Image search: [Google]
1453728692704.jpg
365 KB, 1342x1342
>>46063821
>>
>>46066881
Is Santa Grimnar good on the table top?
>>
>>46067016
You know I actually liked that model and I couldn't understand why people hated it so much. Until about a minute ago when I actually thought about it. WHY GODDAMN IT?
>>
File: autism.gif (512 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
512 KB, 480x270
>>46067088
Personally I kinda like it, but then again I never got the spergs who flip out about that, but don't mind the chainsaw swords in the year 40,000.
>>
>>46066881
I've seen at least two people run the sleigh.

They do it ironically and it's bad for its points.
>>
>>46066646
>mfw everyone in M41 is a moron who needs advanced computer schematics to construct simple shit like whittled wooden sling shots or rifle stocks
>>
>>46067130
Chainsaw swords make sense. But the only reason I can think of for having a wolf pulled hover sleigh is Why not.
>>
>>46067229
>Chainsaw swords make sense

Not really.

They're one of those "sounds great on paper but is horrible in practice" concepts.
>>
>>46067130
Chainswords are at least cool, wolf santa is just retarded.
>>
>>46067229
Chainsaw swords do not make sense in the year 40,000. Even with it's stagnant state tech in 40k is still incredibly advanced, why would swords still be a thing?
>>
>>46067259
Thanks for proving my point
>>
>>46066646
God that's beautiful. A++
>>
File: fagit.jpg (575 KB, 4688x4688) Image search: [Google]
fagit.jpg
575 KB, 4688x4688
>40000
>not using wooden shields against psykers
>>
>>46067130
>>46067248
>>46067261

The explanation for the effectiveness of chainswords is as follows.

The metal that marine armor is made of is absurdly strong but rare and expensive. As a result bolters and lazguns are very ineffective at penetrating it and it's not really possible to supply ammunition for bolters from the same metal

Chainswords are made using that same metal, and because the teeth are spinning at such an insanely high rpm they can cut through nearly anything effectively.

This same logic can get applied in reverse where a space marine is wearing armor that most ranged weapons cant penetrate therefore he can handle closing the gap to fight in melee range, which he can do extremely quickly do to his enhanced body. Effectively making it a viable tactic.

Many other races have similar restriction, Orks can't aim for shit for example and also don't have a problem shrugging off a few bolter rounds due to there physiology.

Eldar can dodge bolter rounds due there incredible agility and can gap close quickly to strike in melee due to that speed.

etc.
>>
>>46067685
again, that's fucking retarded much like the whole premise of 40k, so just sit back and have fun with all the silliness
>>
>>46067295
I think the point is he at least wants some semblance of seriousness, where you would be fine with anything because you don't have taste and feel like the setting should be a total joke.
>>
>>46063681
buddy, 40k is stupid. It's only selling point is how stupid and over the top it is
>>
>>46067685
Again, only by 40k standards.

the average Ork is a pretty average shot by most standards, and especially considering that they never actually formally train. They achieve hit rates in combat that would not be at all unacceptable by real, modern standards.

Guardsmen, by contrast, are actually quite good shots to a man (or woman, there are women guard) as are a lot of other imperial servants, with some being incredible.

Marines and anything at that level are even better than that, because of their enhancement, and having the same native potential or more probably than the best normal Imperials.

Eldar as you say, are well, Eldar. They are also scary in a lot of ways. I like that. It fits with the conceit that Tolkien style Elves are kind of nuts, with the ones that are really exceptionally good/the best being right out "What the fuck? REALLY? HE'S REALLY DOING THAT!"

And actually Bolters are more than capable of using penetrator rounds that punch through Power Armor. They don't get used all the time, but they exist. I also feel like Marines wouldn't routinely fire at each other with the normal rounds if they didn't feel like it was somewhat worth it. I think really only the main chest plate and the pauldrons are proof against the bolts. Hits elsewhere can penetrate rather easily.

Chainswords are basically "better than a sword, but cheaper than a power sword" for assault troops. They mess up most armor, and when used against power armor, are probably also aimed at gaps and joints, I'm thinking. (A Chain Axe, Particularly what Kharne uses, is different. He cuts people in half, He cuts everyone in half. Just the blunt trauma would fuck you up.)
>>
>>46063619
Except they don't.

They use plasteel and ceramite.
>>
File: Joker_laughing.gif (295 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
Joker_laughing.gif
295 KB, 500x386
>>46063821
>>
>>46067922
this anon has a very good point

in a stressful combat situation with lots of moving around, the 50% accuracy of your average guardswoman or guardsman is very, very good
>>
File: chainsaw_wut.gif (7 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw_wut.gif
7 MB, 480x270
>>46067922
>They mess up most armor, and when used against power armor, are probably also aimed at gaps and joints

kek
>>
>>46063814
Because Russ is actually Arthas, suffering from amnesia

>Leman Russ, my son. What are you doing?
>Succeeding you...father
>>
>>46067016
>>46067181

I know someone who unironically liked it but then again they also preordered multiple boxes of almost every AOS release and called me a troll offline for saying AOS wasn't very good.
>>
>>46064548
>only /po/ knows how to make this sacred armor
>>
>>46070229

YOU JEALOUS POORFAG WHY DONT YOU STOP BEING SO POOR MAYBE IF YOU DIDNT HAVE SUCH SHIT TASTE YOU COULD AFFORD THESE AWESOME MODELS
>>
>>46070252
I haven't actually seen a new AOS model I like. I really preferred the old ones.
I collect neither though so whatever.
>>
>>46063595
it's wolfwood. Trees from the wolf forest in wolfden, where wolves fertilize the trees, which makes them gnarly and wolf like.
They use wolf blades to cut down and prepare the sacred wolftrees, then the wood is fold a mirrion times.

and that's why space yiffs have wooden shields.
>>
>>46066881
>>46067016
The reason not even the ones that like it (with obvious exception) is because he's ridiculously weak.
The sleigh itself is rather good, actually (armor 12 on all sides, add some S5 rending attacks and consider all penetrating hit as glancing), it's just Logan himself that is ridiculously garbage tabletop-wise
He's a LoW terminator with the only peculiar element being that he can divide his attack between frost sword and power-fist. No (meaningful) additional rules, no actual special wargear. Nothing. A terminator chapter master is better for the simple fact that at least he has the orbital bombardment.
And he costs 250 points by himself and 320 with the sleight. Thanks but no, thanks
>>
>>46070223
There must always be...
A WOLF KING.
>>
>>46063595
Why woodent he have it?
>>
>>46063595
>wood
its not wood it is "duracarbon" as clearly stated in the page 135 section 3 paragraph 4 of the "Codex Astartes Premium Special Edition that costs 200$ for some reason". CAPSETC2FSR for short.
>>
File: n69b9Oz.gif (303 KB, 1987x778) Image search: [Google]
n69b9Oz.gif
303 KB, 1987x778
>>46068095
That, for some reason, are about as effective as a few hundred millimeters of conventional steel.
>>
>>46063595
The real answer is that GW is stupid.

But if you're looking for a plausible explanation, then it's so that enemy weapons will become stuck in it.
>>
File: crusade.jpg (82 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
crusade.jpg
82 KB, 680x497
>>46063821
>>
>>46075531
But what we used stanless steel?
>>
>>46063595
It's space wood.
>>
>>46070409
One person in my group runs him and is always furious when he dies, like he was supposed to be some unkillable god simply because of he's a LoW.
>>
>>46066646
That wouldn't even surprise me, coming from the AdMech.
>Stop right here, that device is no sanctionned pattern
>B-But it's just a stick, magos. I took it from a tree on the way here.
>HERETEK! DIE!!
>>
>>46063595
How much creative control do you think they give the artists on these?

Do they have some sort of lore fact checker checking off ideas or directing what equipment characters should have?

Which comes first, the lore or the art?
>>
>>46068095
Exactly.

The shield is made of space-wood.
>>
>>46063595
It's a storm shield, the shield itself is just decoration for the force feld generator.
>>
>>46070120
>posts a gif of a traitor marine being stabbed in the stomach, the most vulnerable area on his torso, due to the thinner armor and cables

And your point is.....?
>>
>>46079906

Clearly we need to start building the inner armor and exposed cabling out of the hardest material known to man. Then when fools try to aim at your weak point you laugh and proceed to wreck face.

You can also block things like Wonder Woman with her bracelets, except instead of using your wrists, you thrust your exposed crotch armor at people.
>>
>>46076211

Weapons can't get stuck on storm shields because the way they work is the energy field explosively deflects impacts. So even though it's a wooden shield, a power weapon or lightsaber would bounce off the power current surrounding the shield.

This is the principle behind thunder hammers and storm shields. When they deflect things the energy crackles and emits lightning and sound so they're named after storms.
>>
File: what.the.fuck..png (570 KB, 647x457) Image search: [Google]
what.the.fuck..png
570 KB, 647x457
>>46080862
yfw you see a squad of slaneeshi lunatics armed with a strap-on crotch chainswords, thrusting forward like maniacs, running in your direction
>>
>>46075531
The people who write the fluff have no clue how much damage modern tech can deal out. Then again, I am pretty sure that /k/ommandows would still be going on about how it could never get troops in to melee against modern armies even if they said that a Land Raider is harder to destroy than a full one-to-one scale steel die cast of a Land Raider.
>>
>>46063681
I enjoy them, as a splinter group who've shunned the 'new ways' that are making over the chapter, but then again, my third edition codexes have an awful lot of multi chapter spacemarines with stupid hairband piercings for the sake of "metal"
>>
>>46063595
Why do the Yiffs ride wolves instead of bikes? Why did they get tricked by Horus?

They're just idiots, anon.
>>
>>46085057

Wolves add an extra wound and move through cover even if you're a shitty rider.
>>
>>46085096
It still makes zero sense in the fluff
>>
>>46085510
>It still makes zero sense in the fluff
>making sense
>in 40kek
>were chainswords are a thing
You silly anon.
>>
>>46069032
I think a simpler explanation is that more shots are being fired, and they miss. Who the hell heard of two round bursts? It's single, three, and full auto on every gun that has the option, isn't it?

And take the full auto weapons, they're depicted as firing a huge stream in every animated game, but anything firing more than 4 shots on the tabletop is exceptionally rare. All those other bullets/bolts/etc just have such a low chance of landing that you don't roll for them.
>>
>>46085057
>Why do the Yiffs ride wolves instead of bikes?
They do ride bikes anon, as any other chapter anon, the thunderwolves are first company only thing, a test of strength for the wolf guard, hell they can even deploy dead and raven wing like armies if they wish.

>Why did they get tricked by Horus?
Everyone was tricked by Horus, even the Emperor.
>>
>>46085710

Some firearms have two-round bursts instead of three-round burst. Most of them are European military weapons.
>>
>>46063595
muhh Viking
that it
>>
>>46085710
the magazine of a bolter is pretty small relative to the barrel... maybe holds about 10 to 12 rounds?

if they fire more than 2 rounds bursts, the will have to reload a lot during a 6 turn game. How long is each turn supposed to be?
>>
>>46086274

Bolters hold around 30 rounds. They're probably just double or triple stacked and bolts are smaller than the barrel holes because the stabilizer fins increase the width.
>>
>>46067685
Ever used a chainsaw? You set it against something and let it work it's way through. There's not a whole lot of that in a fight. So while you're swinging your chainsaw around you'll be flaying anyone unarmored alive, which is brutal and grisly but not particularly efficient, but you wouldn't do a whole lot to people wearing armor.

Basically, it's rule of cool shit like castle robots and piano tanks.
>>
>>46086602

Castle robots and piano tanks are functional.
>>
>>46086619
I'm sorry, you're right. Carry on.
>>
>>46063595
Its 40k, dont expect it to make sense of be rational. The fluff is written by like 80 different people over 20+ years. Few settings have less coherency.
>>
>>46085710
>It's single, three, and full auto on every gun that has the option, isn't it?
AN-94. But yes, I agree with you.
>>
>>46063595
Its probably an ancestral heirloom. its purely there for morale and honor reasons, kind of like a banner but with far less visibility, and slightly more shieldy-ness
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.